TheRef
06-19-2018, 09:26 PM
https://twitter.com/robbiefaulkSDN/status/1009256981834747904

msstate7
06-19-2018, 09:28 PM
Does he have a son there or something? Weird job for an ex-mlb guy

TheRef
06-19-2018, 09:38 PM
No idea...but he went to MSU and was drafted by the Rangers in 2005. Stayed in the minors. So I don't know if he and Roy ended up bumping into each other in the Minors...

EDIT: Fixed my **** up

shoeless joe
06-19-2018, 09:38 PM

He's living in Starkville now. I think he only has daughters but I could be wrong on that. I didn't realize berk was coaching at SA now. Loved watching him play. Very underrated in the pantheon of bulldog baseball lore. Actually hope he does a good job, SA has had some embarrassment at that position.

shoeless joe
06-19-2018, 09:39 PM
No idea...but he went to MSU and was drafted by the Astros in 2005. Stayed in the minors. So I don't know if he and Roy ended up bumping into each other in the Minors...

Pretty sure berk was drafted by rangers, came back for a year and then signed with the rangers before that years draft

TheRef
06-19-2018, 09:41 PM
Pretty sure berk was drafted by rangers, came back for a year and then signed with the rangers before that years draft

Yeah he was...my bad...I'm dumb.

shoeless joe
06-19-2018, 09:55 PM
Yeah he was...my bad...I'm dumb.

Only reason I remembered is because of the fact he signed before the draft based off of his being drafted by them the year before. I had never heard of it before then.

But back on his play...was a second baseman, walked it off against Umiss in hoover, then I believe played third his soph year, then caught and was a dang good catcher before playing SS as a senior and having a ridiculous hitting streak that may have spanned over two season...could be wrong on that tho. But point being the dude was the ultimate team guy and was pretty damn good at it as well. Tons of respect for him and he should be mentioned more among the great bulldogs. (No I'm not a relative, but I was in school during that time and always respected his game)

Homedawg
06-19-2018, 09:57 PM

Who Roy? No he doesn’t have a son. He will help out to give him something to do. He likes to hunt, and fish. And money. This is just a time waster and to give back.

Homedawg
06-19-2018, 09:58 PM
He's living in Starkville now. I think he only has daughters but I could be wrong on that. I didn't realize berk was coaching at SA now. Loved watching him play. Very underrated in the pantheon of bulldog baseball lore. Actually hope he does a good job, SA has had some embarrassment at that position.

Yes Roy just has girls. And tberk got Starkville academy job about a month ago.

Westdawg
06-19-2018, 10:18 PM
Ummm...
Roy never played at MSU.
He graduated from Weir High. Went to Holmes CC. Was drafted out of juco.

ETA:
just realized y'all were talking about Berkery

ChillbillyRock
06-20-2018, 12:43 AM
Ummm...
Roy never played at MSU.
He graduated from Weir High. Went to Holmes CC. Was drafted out of juco.

ETA:
just realized y'all were talking about Berkery

^^^Yes.....This is all correct. Also, back in '86 (9-10 yr old league), he pitched for Simpson and saw his first bunt from yours truly.

Also, He really wanted to go to State but Holmes wouldn't release him. Im not sure of the details.

Todd4State
06-20-2018, 02:13 AM
Only reason I remembered is because of the fact he signed before the draft based off of his being drafted by them the year before. I had never heard of it before then.

But back on his play...was a second baseman, walked it off against Umiss in hoover, then I believe played third his soph year, then caught and was a dang good catcher before playing SS as a senior and having a ridiculous hitting streak that may have spanned over two season...could be wrong on that tho. But point being the dude was the ultimate team guy and was pretty damn good at it as well. Tons of respect for him and he should be mentioned more among the great bulldogs. (No I'm not a relative, but I was in school during that time and always respected his game)

Apparently there is a rule that if you redshirt and then play four more seasons I think you to my understanding basically become a free agent. I'm not sure if he had to sign with the Rangers or not because they drafted him or not- but it's possible.

Berkery was a great player and I remember him walking off Ole Miss in the SEC Tournament. He could play pretty much any position.

Todd4State
06-20-2018, 02:15 AM
^^^Yes.....This is all correct. Also, back in '86 (9-10 yr old league), he pitched for Simpson and saw his first bunt from yours truly.

Also, He really wanted to go to State but Holmes wouldn't release him. Im not sure of the details.

If he wanted to go to MSU there isn't anything Holmes could have done about it. SEC > MS JUCO. Unless he had grade issues or didn't qualify or something like that.

Todd4State
06-20-2018, 02:16 AM

This is the kind of stuff ex-MLB players have to do if they don't have a college degree and they want a job.

msstate7
06-20-2018, 05:58 AM
This is the kind of stuff ex-MLB players have to do if they don't have a college degree and they want a job.

According to google, he's worth 50 million. He'll be fine

dawgoneyall
06-20-2018, 06:33 AM

Believe Polk passed on him until after his Juco stent. Then the money was too much.

With him on the "97" we would have been unstoppable/maybe.

Homedawg
06-20-2018, 07:31 AM
[QUOTE=dawgoneyall;958432]Believe Polk passed on him until after his Juco stent. Then the money was too much.

With him on the "97" we would have been unstoppable/maybe.[/QUOTE

stalkingpoon
06-20-2018, 08:48 AM
Roy has been in Starkville for a while now. Building a HUUUGE house down S. Montgomery. Played softball against him the past couple years in the city league as well.

stalkingpoon
06-20-2018, 08:50 AM

LOL. Come one now, Roy is loaded. Obviously he's trying to impress Cohen to get the HC job next year**

ChillbillyRock
06-20-2018, 01:21 PM
If he wanted to go to MSU there isn't anything Holmes could have done about it. SEC > MS JUCO. Unless he had grade issues or didn't qualify or something like that.

Maybe he already signed w Holmes before State offered? Like I said, I don't know the details.

Homedawg
06-20-2018, 02:46 PM
To be clear w Roy and Holmes and state, Roy weighed a buck nothing out of weir, Holmes signed him. He threw the crap out of it, the Astros drafted him after his fr year. We signed him in the following fall to get him for his jr year. The Astros had control of him until the next draft-that was the old rules. He blew up even more and the Astros paid him plenty of money to sign before he went back in the draft. He would have been a daily high pick at that point. He wasn’t coming here, not after blowing up two straight years in jc. And I think it turned out ok for the man. Made over $100 million in contract money.

Todd4State
06-20-2018, 02:53 PM
According to google, he's worth 50 million. He'll be fine

I'm talking about the 90% that don't make the 50 million.