PDA

View Full Version : Alright, those of you who complained about Cohen's handling of pitching in 2013

06-19-2018, 02:20 PM
What do you do? Do you go Billingsley on Friday?

bostondawg
06-19-2018, 02:22 PM
Put this in the game thread, but I'd say you absolutely go France and JB if necessary on Friday. Then if we lose go Small on Saturday.

Goose Willis
06-19-2018, 02:37 PM
I think you have to go with Small. We need to put the best pitcher in on Friday to get us to the Championship. Then you can throw KP and JB Monday and Tuesday.

Bulldog1
06-19-2018, 02:38 PM
I'd pitch France/JB Friday. Then if we lose, pitch Small Saturday.

shoeless joe
06-19-2018, 02:38 PM
Pitching wasn't the problem in '13

smootness
06-19-2018, 02:42 PM
I'd pitch France/JB Friday. Then if we lose, pitch Small Saturday.

This. You still have Small if you need him to get to the championship, so it's not like you're not doing all you can to get there. Either way, if you play 2 games, you're going to end up using all those guys. But give yourself the best shot to win the whole thing, which is to win Friday without Small and have him go Game 1 Monday.

Of course, if he pitches Friday, he could potentially be back for a Game 3 Wednesday as well, but I'd much rather have him pitching in game 1.

06-19-2018, 02:46 PM
Put this in the game thread, but I'd say you absolutely go France and JB if necessary on Friday. Then if we lose go Small on Saturday.

If you do that, then Small will be unavailable for the Finals

You have to go Small on Friday then use him again on Tuesday or Wednesday, depending on it you win Monday

msstate7
06-19-2018, 02:46 PM
I don't think you can make this decision without seeing who the winner (osu/North Carolina) uses to get there. What if they throw their midweek guy, but ace will be available on Saturday? I'd throw small Friday. What if they use their ace on Friday? I'd throw JB/France.

smootness
06-19-2018, 02:48 PM

You have to go Small on Friday then use him again on Tuesday or Wednesday, depending on it you win Monday

If Small can go Friday-Tuesday, he can also just as easily go Saturday-Wednesday.

And if he pitches Monday, he still could be available for an inning or two in an all-hands-on-deck Game 3.

smootness
06-19-2018, 02:50 PM
I don't think you can make this decision without seeing who the winner (osu/North Carolina) uses to get there. What if they throw their midweek guy, but ace will be available on Saturday? I'd throw small Friday. What if they use their ace on Friday? I'd throw JB/France.

I don't think that factors in at all. If you decide to go with Small on Saturday specifically because they're throwing their ace Friday, then you're basically setting yourself up to play an elimination game. Just go with the best strategy for winning the whole thing on your own end, whatever that is. We'll likely either have to beat their ace or win without ours either way.

06-19-2018, 02:51 PM
If Small can go Friday-Tuesday, he can also just as easily go Saturday-Wednesday.

And if he pitches Monday, he still could be available for an inning or two in an all-hands-on-deck Game 3.

He SHOULDN'T go until Wednesday, like Graveman was going to do in 2013, but coaches still do it

It's a bad idea, you throw Small Friday, then France/Billingsley Saturday if needed

Bulldog1
06-19-2018, 02:52 PM
It's not like France is some scrub. He is our #3 pitcher. Maybe #2.

06-19-2018, 02:53 PM

Both teams will have their ace ready to roll on Friday, they last pitched on Saturday, we are likely facing Heimlech or the guy UNC threw that day, can't remember his name, their #2 guy since Dalatia or whatever wasn't feeling right

You have to match ace for ace IMO, this ain't small time SEC in March anymore

msstate7
06-19-2018, 02:56 PM
It's not like France is some scrub. He is our #3 pitcher. Maybe #2.

He would be a huge disadvantage vs heimlich. We really should hope no matter what we avoid heimlich. LHP seems to hurt us at times, and he is one of the best lhp in college baseball

Bulldog1
06-19-2018, 02:58 PM
He would be a huge disadvantage vs heimlich. We really should hope no matter what we avoid heimlich. LHP seems to hurt us at times, and he is one of the best lhp in college baseball

Really hope we play UNC.

Big4Dawg
06-19-2018, 02:59 PM
Both teams will have their ace ready to roll on Friday, they last pitched on Saturday, we are likely facing Heimlech or the guy UNC threw that day, can't remember his name, their #2 guy since Dalatia or whatever wasn't feeling right

You have to match ace for ace IMO, this ain't small time SEC in March anymore

UNC's ace could pitch tomorrow

msstate7
06-19-2018, 03:02 PM
Heimlich threw 63 pitches Saturday. Dalatri (unc sat starter) threw 15 pitches. I expect both to pitch in their game tomorrow.

Jarius
06-19-2018, 03:02 PM
There is no way you don?t throw Small on Friday. That will allow us to throw him 3 times during the tourney if necessary. He can go again game 3 of the finals. Now is not the time to get cute.

Jack Lambert
06-19-2018, 03:03 PM
Pitching wasn't the problem in '13

Not shit it was all those bunts.

CadaverDawg
06-19-2018, 03:04 PM
Did you guys notice that today we warmed up two RHP's, and neither was France? Did you also notice that we yanked France after 1 inning Saturday? I think the reason we didn't warm up France today, was bc Gary saw enough in one inning Saturday to know France has it going right now, and he's saving France for Friday (or tomorrow vs OSU had it happened).

Could be wrong, just reading between the lines

crackerjax
06-19-2018, 03:21 PM

THIS. He gives you the best chance to get to the finals in one game, which would save pitching and allow you to bring him back for game three if necessary.

Offshore Dawg
06-19-2018, 03:28 PM
This is starting to sound like taking a vote at the United Nations

06-19-2018, 03:39 PM
Heimlich threw 63 pitches Saturday. Dalatri (unc sat starter) threw 15 pitches. I expect both to pitch in their game tomorrow.

Hope you're right on Heimlich, but Dalatri was hurt, that's why he left early....their #2 guys Criswell (sp) is who I was talking about

msstate7
06-19-2018, 03:43 PM
Hope you're right on Heimlich, but Dalatri was hurt, that's why he left early....their #2 guys Criswell (sp) is who I was talking about

Good catch on dalatri... I watched the game, and forgot that lol

BB30
06-19-2018, 03:55 PM
You play to win that first game IMO. You don't worry about the championship series until you get there or that can bite you in the a**. Whoever we feel gives us the best chance to win without going to an elimination game is who you throw regardless of who is starting on the other side.

If they have to throw off or have used their ace already you hope you jump on whoever they pitch and can get your starter out of the game with a lower pitch count where he can come back fairly strong in the championship series.

CadaverDawg
06-19-2018, 04:26 PM
FYI, Henderson leaning towards starting Billingsley Friday according to Twitter

Todd4State
06-19-2018, 06:00 PM

That's not surprising. Probably isn't a bad move because whoever we face could be short on pitching themselves plus we can still use France in an elimination game should we lose Friday.

Small probably isn't an option coming off of Tommy John not because he wouldn't rested for Friday but because it would burn him for a potential start in CWS Finals.

Jarius
06-19-2018, 06:04 PM
That's not surprising. Probably isn't a bad move because whoever we face could be short on pitching themselves plus we can still use France in an elimination game should we lose Friday.

Small probably isn't an option coming off of Tommy John not because he wouldn't rested for Friday but because it would burn him for a potential start in CWS Finals.

There is zero % chance we don’t throw Small on Saturday if it goes to there.

bostondawg
06-19-2018, 06:10 PM

I'd like this. There's obviously a level of gambling that comes with how you order your pitching staff at this point. Pitching Small on Friday would be the conservative approach, and I'm not a fan of that. I don't care about another CWS finals appearance nearly as much as I care about winning one. If we can win with JB+middle relievers+Self on Friday (and our chances will become clearer as our opponent's pitching staff availability becomes clearer), the possibility of having Small-Pilk-France available for the CWS finals makes me need new shorts.

TALL DAWG
06-19-2018, 06:40 PM
THIS. He gives you the best chance to get to the finals in one game, which would save pitching and allow you to bring him back for game three if necessary.

100% for sure pitch Small on Friday.!
By doing so, he WILL be available to pitch the 2nd game of the 2 of 3 series on Tuesday on 4 days rest which is plenty rest. If we lose Friday....and do not pitch Small until Saturday...and win Saturday...Small woud NOT be available until the 3rd game of the 2 of 3 series...ONLY IF...we make it to the 3rd game. Would be a huge waste if Small couldn?t pitch until a potential 3rd game only.

Got to use Small Friday to make 100% sure he will be available on Tuesday.
Pitch our best starter as soon as he is available and close our side of bracket out ASAP. No brainer to me.

Go Banana Dawgs Go...!!!

06-19-2018, 07:07 PM
UNC or Oregon State will both likely throw their ace Friday, you obviously don't know how the CWS works

06-19-2018, 07:08 PM
I'd like this. There's obviously a level of gambling that comes with how you order your pitching staff at this point. Pitching Small on Friday would be the conservative approach, and I'm not a fan of that. I don't care about another CWS finals appearance nearly as much as I care about winning one. If we can win with JB+middle relievers+Self on Friday (and our chances will become clearer as our opponent's pitching staff availability becomes clearer), the possibility of having Small-Pilk-France available for the CWS finals makes me need new shorts.

I'm coming around to this idea too, but it is a HUGE risk/reward

Randolph Dupree
06-19-2018, 07:26 PM
Let's see what happens with the weather and the other games. OSU and NC will do whatever they can to survive. All things considered, I go with JB or France Friday (probably JB on a short leash), and you still have Small if another game is necessary. Once you get to the championship series, everyone is

Lord McBuckethead
06-19-2018, 07:28 PM
Did you guys notice that today we warmed up two RHP's, and neither was France? Did you also notice that we yanked France after 1 inning Saturday? I think the reason we didn't warm up France today, was bc Gary saw enough in one inning Saturday to know France has it going right now, and he's saving France for Friday (or tomorrow vs OSU had it happened).

Could be wrong, just reading between the lines

I am going to agree with this. Saving France for Friday's showdown.

KOdawg1
06-19-2018, 08:00 PM
I am going to agree with this. Saving France for Friday's showdown.

Which is fine with me. France is the 2nd best starter we have when he's on. He looked like he was on Saturday

MarketingBully
06-19-2018, 10:29 PM

And I’m willing to bet you the man will win us a national championship. He’s dialed in with these Hendo rolling the dice decisions. The whole point of being in the driver’s seat is the ability to take chances like this so you have the best chance to win the championship series. Cohen made a huge mistake pitching Graveman on that Friday in 2013 because it completely took him out of the championship and we had no chance. That first game against UCLA could have gone either way and having Graveman could have made a difference in winning that first game and ultimately the championship series.

MarketingBully
06-19-2018, 10:31 PM
I'm coming around to this idea too, but it is a HUGE risk/reward

The reward is your first national championship.

Dawgcap
06-19-2018, 10:44 PM
That’s what I love to hear!!!

Todd4State
06-19-2018, 10:44 PM
UNC or Oregon State will both likely throw their ace Friday, you obviously don't know how the CWS works

Doesn't matter who they throw. They have to beat us twice so we can afford to roll the dice.

Todd4State
06-19-2018, 10:45 PM
And I’m willing to bet you the man will win us a national championship. He’s dialed in with these Hendo rolling the dice decisions. The whole point of being in the driver’s seat is the ability to take chances like this so you have the best chance to win the championship series. Cohen made a huge mistake pitching Graveman on that Friday in 2013 because it completely took him out of the championship and we had no chance. That first game against UCLA could have gone either way and having Graveman could have made a difference in winning that first game and ultimately the championship series.

All of this.

deltadawg99
06-20-2018, 12:22 AM
I think you go Billingsley on Friday with France coming out of the bullpen if Jacob struggles early.

On paper Small could go Saturday, Friday & Monday, but 3 starts in a 10 day stretch would make it difficult for him to be 100% on Monday.

Let’s jusy hope that OSU & Unc use a ton of pitching tomorrow.

Todd4State
06-20-2018, 12:31 AM

Us playing for a National Championship and not throwing Graveman in either of those games haunts me as much as leaving Gene Morgan in the game in 1985, pitching Tracy Jobes against Nicholls State in the 1989 Regional, and pitching Paul Maholm against Middle Tennessee State in 2003.

Dawg61
06-20-2018, 01:46 AM
Roll the dice and let's win us a natty. Save Small and Pilk for the championship series. Btw Self hasn't thrown since Vandy. Hope his hand is fully healed. We're gonna need him very soon.

Todd4State
06-20-2018, 01:52 AM
Roll the dice and let's win us a natty. Save Small and Pilk for the championship series. Btw Self hasn't thrown since Vandy. Hope his hand is fully healed. We're gonna need him very soon.

He was up and throwing in the bullpen in game one of the CWS.

msstate7
06-20-2018, 06:44 AM
He was up and throwing in the bullpen in game one of the CWS.

He needs an inning Friday no matter what then.

06-20-2018, 09:05 AM
And I?m willing to bet you the man will win us a national championship. He?s dialed in with these Hendo rolling the dice decisions. The whole point of being in the driver?s seat is the ability to take chances like this so you have the best chance to win the championship series. Cohen made a huge mistake pitching Graveman on that Friday in 2013 because it completely took him out of the championship and we had no chance. That first game against UCLA could have gone either way and having Graveman could have made a difference in winning that first game and ultimately the championship series.

We lost that game 3-1, pitching was not the problem, you show your ignorance with this post, plus Graveman was going to pitch Game 3 of the Finals, it's a moot point

Dawg61
06-20-2018, 10:00 AM
Ethan Small isn't Max Scherzer. He's not by far and away our best pitcher. He just recently became our #1 two weeks ago. Stop acting like he's Madison Bumgarner in the 2014 playoffs. Give him sufficient rest so he's fully effective next time he pitches which will be either Saturday or game 1 NC series.

06-20-2018, 10:46 AM
Ethan Small isn't Max Scherzer. He's not by far and away our best pitcher. He just recently became our #1 two weeks ago. Stop acting like he's Madison Bumgarner in the 2014 playoffs. Give him sufficient rest so he's fully effective next time he pitches which will be either Saturday or game 1 NC series.

That's actually not a bad point, and then you have the Tommy John recovery part, I really wouldn't want to push Small to go Friday and then even Wednesday

So, essentially this thread has changed my mind

smootness
06-20-2018, 10:59 AM

He is far and away our best starting pitcher. But I do agree that I wouldn't start him Friday.

msstate7
06-20-2018, 11:02 AM
Ethan Small isn't Mike Foltynewicz. He's not by far and away our best pitcher. He just recently became our #1 two weeks ago. Stop acting like he's Sean Newcomb in 2018. Give him sufficient rest so he's fully effective next time he pitches which will be either Saturday or game 1 NC series.

Fify haha

06-20-2018, 11:08 AM
I think you go Billingsley on Friday with France coming out of the bullpen if Jacob struggles early.

On paper Small could go Saturday, Friday & Monday, but 3 starts in a 10 day stretch would make it difficult for him to be 100% on Monday.

Let?s jusy hope that OSU & Unc use a ton of pitching tomorrow.

A lot of teams use a guy Saturday, Friday and then Tuesday (South Carolina used Roth this way in 2011), but I think it depends on the player, Roth was like Real Deal Mitchell, he had a rubber arm

Small doesn't

Dawg61
06-20-2018, 11:12 AM
Fify haha

Lol I am glad you're finally getting to enjoy some good baseball from your Braves. I haven't watched them very much but I know they're doing very well. Gonna be tough to hold off the Nats. Braves should trade for Josh Donaldson and a closer.

Dawg61
06-20-2018, 11:14 AM
He is far and away our best starting pitcher. But I do agree that I wouldn't start him Friday.

Who started game 1 of the regionals? Who started every Friday game of SEC play? If he IS far away our best pitcher (which I am not disagreeing he's not) that's only become clear for 3 weeks.

smootness
06-20-2018, 11:22 AM
Who started game 1 of the regionals? Who started every Friday game of SEC play? If he IS far away our best pitcher (which I am not disagreeing he's not) that's only become clear for 3 weeks.

No, that's been clear for a while. He just wasn't used in the #1 spot for most of the season. That doesn't mean he hasn't been far and away our best starter. He has been.

Dawg61
06-20-2018, 11:27 AM
No, that's been clear for a while. He just wasn't used in the #1 spot for most of the season. That doesn't mean he hasn't been far and away our best starter. He has been.

Lol he is now but let's not act like everyone was saying that middle of the SEC season. This is dumb to argue. Point is he ain't Max Scherzer. I don't want Small on 3 days rest trying to pitch 7 innings for the national title. We have enough good pitchers to keep everyone fully rested.

smootness
06-20-2018, 11:36 AM
Lol he is now but let's not act like everyone was saying that middle of the SEC season. This is dumb to argue. Point is he ain't Max Scherzer. I don't want Small on 3 days rest trying to pitch 7 innings for the national title. We have enough good pitchers to keep everyone fully rested.

That's because Pilkington was actually pitching well at that point and still had the reputation of being our ace. Small has pitched this well all year. No, he isn't Scherzer. But we now have the benefit of being able to see the entire year...and he is clearly our best starter, it's not even a question.

He's also not Brady Singer...but look at their numbers, he hasn't been terribly far off that, either.

Dawg61
06-20-2018, 12:04 PM
That's because Pilkington was actually pitching well at that point and still had the reputation of being our ace. Small has pitched this well all year. No, he isn't Scherzer. But we now have the benefit of being able to see the entire year...and he is clearly our best starter, it's not even a question.

He's also not Brady Singer...but look at their numbers, he hasn't been terribly far off that, either.

"This is dumb to argue". Haha cheers smoot. We've never seen Small try to go 7 innings on 3 days rest. Let's not make the first attempt for the national title.

smootness
06-20-2018, 12:43 PM

Let’s jusy hope that OSU & Unc use a ton of pitching tomorrow.

There is absolutely no way he could go Friday and then Monday. 2 days rest?

smootness
06-20-2018, 12:44 PM
"This is dumb to argue". Haha cheers smoot. We've never seen Small try to go 7 innings on 3 days rest. Let's not make the first attempt for the national title.

Touche

Goose Willis
06-20-2018, 01:11 PM
JB is getting the start

tcdog70
06-20-2018, 03:24 PM

he pitched Sat.. so that is 5 days rest.