PDA

View Full Version : If You Believe in Meritocracies, Hendo Probably Needs to be Named Head Coach

ShotgunDawg
06-19-2018, 02:19 PM
I've been pretty adamant that Henderson should not be the head coach. I don't believe in his recruiting or player development, and I think what he's mostly done is expertly manage a crappy situation. I don't believe he's the long term answer.

However, more than my baseball beliefs, I am an absolute believer in meritocracies and the world should reward people that earn it. At some point, whether you think they are talented or not, people earn jobs and deserve the carrot.

Additionally, at some point what people have earned becomes so clear that by not hiring them, you are sending a terrible message to the industry about how you operate.

I have no clue how successful Gary would be as our permanent head coach and I am skeptical, but we are either at or close to point that even the skeptic in me agrees that he's probably earned the position.

In some ways Gary is MSU. Hard working, genuine, and an underdog. The guy represents the blue collar meritocracy that our school and State are built upon.

Perhaps we should embrace that. Matt Luke won the Egg Bowl. Henderson has us on the cusp of a natty.

06-19-2018, 02:23 PM
He's done just as much as Polk ever did, postseason wise

msstate7
06-19-2018, 02:23 PM
If we can get schloss, McDonnell, tadlock, or Corbin, we should take them. After that everyone is somewhat an unknown imo. I think we could do much worse than hiring Henderson, getting him an up and comer pitching coach and giving Gautreau/brown a nice raise. Pretty amazing job by Henderson, Gautreau, and Brown... esp considering we down a coach

shoeless joe
06-19-2018, 02:25 PM
I'm not 100% sold yet but it's about to the point where there's no other choice. And you hit on one reason why...whether or not we care how the media reacts there would definitely be a reaction on the negative side within the coaching realm.

Let me say that IF we go that route we'd hafta make sure to keep the staff intact and go get a pitching guy. Let Hendo be the figurehead. But it's getting to the point where it's similar to cutting a position player that doesn't have the measurables but keeps on producing good results.

lefty96
I've been pretty adamant that Henderson should not be the head coach. I don't believe in his recruiting or player development, and I think what he's mostly done is expertly manage a crappy situation. I don't believe he's the long term answer.

However, more than my baseball beliefs, I am an absolute believer in meritocracies and the world should reward people that earn it. At some point, whether you think they are talented or not, people earn jobs and deserve the carrot.

Additionally, at some point what people have earned becomes so clear that by not hiring them, you are sending a terrible message to the industry about how you operate.

I have no clue how successful Gary would be as our permanent head coach and I am skeptical, but we are either at or close to point that even the skeptic in me agrees that he's probably earned the position.

In some ways Gary is MSU. Hard working, genuine, and an underdog. The guy represents the blue collar meritocracy that our school and State are built upon.

Perhaps we should embrace that. Matt Luke won the Egg Bowl. Henderson has us on the cusp of a natty.

I don't see how we can not hire him. How do you not retain a guy after a CWS run? I agree w/ all the points in not keeping him, but. . .

BB30
Lets win the whole thing this year and then I could honestly care less for a couple of years ha.

Liverpooldawg
06-19-2018, 02:28 PM
He just made the Final Four. If he isn't offered the job you talk about a bad look. It would be beyond bad.

06-19-2018, 02:29 PM
Lets win the whole thing this year and then I could honestly care less for a couple of years ha.

TRUTH

tireddawg
06-19-2018, 02:30 PM
Not me. I want to build on this, have top 5 recruiting classes in a row, and consecutive CWS appearances. I want to be a blue blood. I trust Cohen will get it right & will have my support whatever decision he makes.

smootness
06-19-2018, 02:38 PM
He has earned it. But that doesn't matter. We don't need to hire the coach who has earned it based on what he's done in the past, we need to hire the coach who gives us our best shot going forward. Who cares if he earned it or what message people try to draw from it? That doesn't win us any games next year.

Johnson85
06-19-2018, 02:39 PM
I don't see how we can not hire him. How do you not retain a guy after a CWS run? I agree w/ all the points in not keeping him, but. . .

Not that I'm against hiring him, but you don't hire him because of a post season run. What is happening this year is the culmination of a lot of years of recruiting and coaching and building. I think people have gone overboard in not giving Henderson credit, but it is absolutely possible that Henderson is just a good coach that is benefiting from good player leadership and abilities. And Cohen may have the opportunity to hire a great coach.

That said, I think Henderson is going to get the job now. If Cohen wasn't willing to announce a hire before the season is over, that makes me think he was willing to give henderson the job. And if he was willing to give Henderson the job, I suspect that means this post season has essentially been an interview that will push him over the finish line. And I'm fine with that. As much as Cohen knew about Henderson based on his time at UK and MSU, if Cohen thinks enough of Henderson that Henderson was legitimately an option prior to this post season run, then I think the post season run should allay any concerns people have based on his results at UK.

Cooterpoot
06-19-2018, 02:39 PM
All the haters might as well get ready to bend over and take a banana because Gary is about to be the man after we win this SOB.

smootness
06-19-2018, 02:40 PM
He just made the Final Four. If he isn't offered the job you talk about a bad look. It would be beyond bad.

No, it wouldn't. State fans are way too scared of this. I've heard tons of State fans say it and haven't yet heard one single non-State fan say it.

Liverpooldawg
06-19-2018, 03:23 PM
No, it wouldn't. State fans are way too scared of this. I've heard tons of State fans say it and haven't yet heard one single non-State fan say it.

I've heard tons of non-state fans say it. The only ones that aren't are the MSU people who made up tiger mind early on about Henderson and refuse to change it.

confucius say
06-19-2018, 03:23 PM
You hire the best coach/staff you can hire. If that is Hindu/JG, do it. If not, don't.

BB30
06-19-2018, 03:41 PM
You hire the best coach/staff you can hire. If that is Hindu/JG, do it. If not, don't.

At this point how many coaches that we would realistically be in the run for have a better resume than Hendo/JG combo? Seems like every coach with CWS experience has passed on the job.

smootness
06-19-2018, 03:45 PM
I've heard tons of non-state fans say it. The only ones that aren't are the MSU people who made up tiger mind early on about Henderson and refuse to change it.

Who really cares if they consider it a bad look? They'll forget about it within a week. Cohen's job is to hire the best person for the job, not to concern himself with the various ways in which people might interpret the way he went about it.

Pit Bull
06-19-2018, 03:46 PM
If we have to resort to some lower D-1 HC or Asst. coach below the ones normally mentioned on here the past month or so, then I would rather stick with continuity and keep the entire coaching staff as it is now. The boys seem to like the current coaches and that means a whole lot. It would have to be Corbin, McDonnell, Casey or some one really top notch for me to say thanks but no thanks to Hendoo. It looks like most of the top notch coaches are staying put, so to me, I would stick with Henderson. Hendoo has coached at Florida, Oregon St., Kentucky, and now MSU. So he's pretty much seen it all. And I think it will be much easier to recruit at MSU vs KY. If we get a new coach, think about it....Mangum and others will have played for a different coach every year they were at MSU. That's not good, IMO.

confucius say
06-19-2018, 03:55 PM
At this point how many coaches that we would realistically be in the run for have a better resume than Hendo/JG combo? Seems like every coach with CWS experience has passed on the job.

I don't know. Because I don't know which coaches are in still in the running for the job.

craigmid
06-19-2018, 03:59 PM
Hire Henderson as head coach, but also hire a big up and comer as associate head.

WeWonItAll(Most)
06-19-2018, 04:33 PM

Welcome to the club. This sums up my thoughts exactly, I just got to the point you're at now when we made the CWS. If we would have gone 0-2 I probably could have reversed course...but I don't know what to think now.

bgover4
06-19-2018, 04:47 PM
We have a chance to lock up a guy who is 3 wins away from a national championship..... How do you not hire him? I absolutely understand the negatives of his age and questionable calls. But you hire the guy, get a good deal with him, and spend the money on top notch assistants.

confucius say
06-19-2018, 04:52 PM
Hire Henderson as head coach, but also hire a big up and comer as associate head.

You notice how everybody who wants Hindu tags it with having to hire a big up and comer or JG? I'm not being a jerk on purpose, just wondering why that is. Not even saying it's the wrong move, but I think it's telling that nobody trusts him enough to hand him the keys to the program with full reign, yet still want him as head coach.

msstate7
06-19-2018, 05:10 PM
You notice how everybody who wants Hindu tags it with having to hire a big up and comer or JG? I'm not being a jerk on purpose, just wondering why that is. Not even saying it's the wrong move, but I think it's telling that nobody trusts him enough to hand him the keys to the program with full reign, yet still want him as head coach.

For me, it's I want a young pitching coach bc we have a veteran coach. I wanted same when Cohen was looking for pitching cosch when he hired Wes Johnson. I wanted the opposite with a young coach like cann; I realize Henderson was already hired.

Todd4State
06-19-2018, 05:32 PM

I was about to say that same thing. It seems like most of our fans that say that we should hire Henderson have that opinion because they feel like MSU "has to" for whatever reason. And it's mostly people that say we should do that "if we win a National Title." So basically, if Henderson doesn't win the National Title this year most fans want him gone.

Personally, I think it would be better from perception standpoint to not hire Henderson now since he has the interim tag than to have to actually fire him a few years down the road when he is actually the head coach.

06-19-2018, 05:35 PM
And it's mostly people that say we should do that "if we win a National Title." So basically, if Henderson doesn't win the National Title this year most fans want him gone.

That's because the national title winning program carries some connotations with it

Namely, being the NATIONAL CHAMPION

who gives a shit who our coach is if we have the title, the title is all that matters, go be a Flarrda State fan

Todd4State
06-19-2018, 05:40 PM
For me, it's I want a young pitching coach bc we have a veteran coach. I wanted same when Cohen was looking for pitching cosch when he hired Wes Johnson. I wanted the opposite with a young coach like cann; I realize Henderson was already hired.

The thing about that is how much autonomy would he give the pitching coach? I don't know the answer to that. I do know that when Henderson was at Kentucky his staff was two offensive coaches- Rick Eckstein and Toby Bicknell- and Henderson was both the head coach and pitching coach there.

Todd4State
06-19-2018, 05:49 PM
That's because the national title winning program carries some connotations with it

Namely, being the NATIONAL CHAMPION

who gives a shit who our coach is if we have the title, the title is all that matters, go be a Flarrda State fan

Why don't you become a Fresno State fan?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Batesole

Winning National Championships are the goal obviously. But I don't want to be Fresno State where we had that "one magical year" and not use that National Championship to springboard ourselves into being an elite top 10 program that becomes more like LSU in the 1990's or South Carolina earlier in the century. I don't want just one. I want multiple. The goal for us after we win the first one is to then win the next one. And making a questionable hire because we wanted to win a press conference in front of people that don't have our best interests in their heart is not a wise decision.

The last time we made an "unpopular" but right hire in baseball was when we hired Cohen. It turned out to be what we needed at that time. Even though it would have been way easier to hire Raffo.

06-19-2018, 07:05 PM
Winning National Championships are the goal obviously. But I don't want to be Fresno State where we had that "one magical year" and not use that National Championship to springboard ourselves into being an elite top 10 program that becomes more like LSU in the 1990's or South Carolina earlier in the century. I don't want just one. I want multiple. The goal for us after we win the first one is to then win the next one. And making a questionable hire because we wanted to win a press conference in front of people that don't have our best interests in their heart is not a wise decision.
There are a lot of MSU fans who went to their graves without seeing a national title. I'll take the one all day, and worry about the future later

The last time we made an "unpopular" but right hire in baseball was when we hired Cohen. It turned out to be what we needed at that time. Even though it would have been way easier to hire Raffo.
Semi-decent comparison, but not really. First, we're talking about a Polk's recommendation, not Polk himself. Secondly, he was coming off a 23-33 year. If Polk had retired after 2007 CWS it'd be a lot closer comparison, but even still, we're talking about a program STARVED for a national title, and at this point Henderson has gone just as far as Polk with a lot less talent

You're getting greedy

Bothrops
06-19-2018, 08:39 PM

He's already in the dugout.

SaintDawg
06-19-2018, 08:53 PM
These guys are killing themselves for Henderson. He deserves a shot. I don't think they are winning in spite of him like was once thought by many. They're winning for not only themselves, but for him, too.

Dawgcap
06-19-2018, 09:32 PM
I respect what he has done the last several weeks sending guys back out to pitch after a couple of rough outings. I think he let several pitchers know he trusted them and it was time they believed in themselves. Because of that and helping hold this team steady I admire and will never forget the job he has done.
But for me to want him as a coach of the future I need to know he is hired because their is no one better that deserves and wants this job. This coaching search shouldn’t be decided by this run. Henderson deserves to sit down after the season and give his thoughts on his future plans, goals and how he hopes to achieve them but we also don’t need to make a hire based on this run. Ala Steve Fisher at Michigan in basketball years ago. He’s earned the right to campaign for the job but one season doesn’t guarantee a career.
I absolutely love what has happened and don’t hate him like some do but that still shouldn’t decide our programs future.

shoeless joe
06-19-2018, 09:33 PM

I disagree. For me I think Hendo has done a great job at leading the team. He's done a real good job of being the pitching coach...this year and last. I personally think his calm veteran demeanor and ability to lead is more important than him as a pitching coach. I think we can go get a guy to run the pitching and Hendo can just be the manager.

My feelings have nothing to do with NOT trusting him at any one particular aspect of the job. I mean auburn has a pitching coach, TCU has a pitching coach, Sabah has a D-coordinator...the point is that just because a guy has a background in something doesn't mean they can't delegate.

And on that note....another thing the haters are glossing over is how Hendo allowed gotro to do his thing. He realized that choice was better for the team so he stepped aside and let that happen. That takes guts and shows that he's in it for the good of the program. The players see that and the difference it makes in their eyes cannot be overstated.

Dawgcap
06-19-2018, 09:35 PM
And I have been considered a Henderson man! I have nothing but love and admiration for what he’s done but we need the right man and I trust Cohen to find that man

Dawgcap
06-19-2018, 10:50 PM
With this run our coaching job has become an even bigger job.

Todd4State
06-19-2018, 10:53 PM
There are a lot of MSU fans who went to their graves without seeing a national title. I'll take the one all day, and worry about the future later

Semi-decent comparison, but not really. First, we're talking about a Polk's recommendation, not Polk himself. Secondly, he was coming off a 23-33 year. If Polk had retired after 2007 CWS it'd be a lot closer comparison, but even still, we're talking about a program STARVED for a national title, and at this point Henderson has gone just as far as Polk with a lot less talent

You're getting greedy

I may be greedy but you are being short sighted. It doesn't matter who wins the first National Championship and if it's the only time in our lives if we win one we still need to do what gives us the best chance to win multiple National Titles over the long run.

If you make hires because they are "nice" or because it's what the Clarion-Ledger likes- that's how the Polk II era happened.

Todd4State
06-19-2018, 10:54 PM
With this run our coaching job has become an even bigger job.

This is true.

Todd4State
06-19-2018, 10:55 PM
I disagree. For me I think Hendo has done a great job at leading the team. He's done a real good job of being the pitching coach...this year and last. I personally think his calm veteran demeanor and ability to lead is more important than him as a pitching coach. I think we can go get a guy to run the pitching and Hendo can just be the manager.

My feelings have nothing to do with NOT trusting him at any one particular aspect of the job. I mean auburn has a pitching coach, TCU has a pitching coach, Sabah has a D-coordinator...the point is that just because a guy has a background in something doesn't mean they can't delegate.

And on that note....another thing the haters are glossing over is how Hendo allowed gotro to do his thing. He realized that choice was better for the team so he stepped aside and let that happen. That takes guts and shows that he's in it for the good of the program. The players see that and the difference it makes in their eyes cannot be overstated.

Not me. I've said several times before we should make Gautreau the coach if we can't find a big name.

Dawgcap
06-19-2018, 11:06 PM
no Way we make this run with a hire in place at the beginning of regionals. That’s why I love Cohen and his cares about the program. I think the big boys still want this job but Henderson can stake his claim. I think there are a couple coaches that will elevate there coaching and salesmanship to get this job. If Henderson wants the job he’s gonna have to sell his vision and it better be great cause we will have a couple coaches that will fight for this job.

Dawgcap
06-19-2018, 11:09 PM
I said before I don’t think Cohen makes a Steve Fisher hire like Michigan did years ago in basketball. He knows what we have. Either Henderson sells it or some great coach will take it as it should be

Cooterpoot
06-19-2018, 11:37 PM
I hope Gary Henderson 17s up our coaching search like a soup sandwich.

Dawgcap
06-19-2018, 11:45 PM
I hope Gary Henderson 17s up our coaching search like a soup sandwich.

Why? I hope we have coaches sell their skills and dreams for our program and I hope Henderson does the same! Who has a long term view and the ability to achieve it?? Love where we are in this coaching search!! And yes I got your sarcasm but I guarantee we will have major coaches selling themselves for this job.

preachermatt83
06-20-2018, 12:16 AM
I don?t think henderson will be great long term but here is my honest opinion on it... if you can hire a big time legit guy like mcdonnell, schloss, Tadlock, casey, or O?Connor then you have to hire them. If not hire henderson. If we win the whole thing then I(one of his biggest detractors) won?t fuss much regardless. My only thing is, if we hire henderson we have to hold on to GoTro even if we have to pay him double what he?s making and we have to hire a legit pitching coach. If Henderson won?t go along with that then tell him to kick rocks. I still don?t won?t henderson but with every win I?m becoming less adamant about it.

Todd4State
06-20-2018, 12:28 AM
no Way we make this run with a hire in place at the beginning of regionals. That?s why I love Cohen and his cares about the program. I think the big boys still want this job but Henderson can stake his claim. I think there are a couple coaches that will elevate there coaching and salesmanship to get this job. If Henderson wants the job he?s gonna have to sell his vision and it better be great cause we will have a couple coaches that will fight for this job.

What's happening now is a big reason why I said we shouldn't make a hire until our season is over. I think had we made a hire before the regionals and then we go on this run- THAT would have been a bigger PR disaster than anything.

And what you said about Henderson selling his vision is spot on. If I'm running the interview I have a LOT of questions.

1. You tried to retire two years ago and talked about how demanding being a SEC head baseball coach is. If we offer you the job and you accept, how long do you envision being the head coach here?

2. At Kentucky you were also the pitching coach. How open are you to hiring someone else to being the pitching coach which will allow you to focus on being the head coach?

3. What is your recruiting philosophy? How will you identify and get players through the draft?

Dawgcap
06-20-2018, 12:45 AM
What's happening now is a big reason why I said we shouldn't make a hire until our season is over. I think had we made a hire before the regionals and then we go on this run- THAT would have been a bigger PR disaster than anything.

And what you said about Henderson selling his vision is spot on. If I'm running the interview I have a LOT of questions.

1. You tried to retire two years ago and talked about how demanding being a SEC head baseball coach is. If we offer you the job and you accept, how long do you envision being the head coach here?

2. At Kentucky you were also the pitching coach. How open are you to hiring someone else to being the pitching coach which will allow you to focus on being the head coach?

3. What is your recruiting philosophy? How will you identify and get players through the draft?
I never disagreed with any of this. Again I love what he has done. Questionable decisions at times ? Yes but he has coached well and delegated to Gautreau. Lot of positive decisions. But again as much as I admire what he has done I want and expect a great finish but like many we know that we can’t make a hire based on 1 year. The difference in us is I don’t nitpick every decision because as a coach you still must have players make play but as you know in baseball most decisions are not always gonna turn out right. Love your thoughts but to say he hasn’t done a great job under these circumstances is ridiculous.

Dawgcap
06-20-2018, 12:53 AM
I don?t think henderson will be great long term but here is my honest opinion on it... if you can hire a big time legit guy like mcdonnell, schloss, Tadlock, casey, or O?Connor then you have to hire them. If not hire henderson. If we win the whole thing then I(one of his biggest detractors) won?t fuss much regardless. My only thing is, if we hire henderson we have to hold on to GoTro even if we have to pay him double what he?s making and we have to hire a legit pitching coach. If Henderson won?t go along with that then tell him to kick rocks. I still don?t won?t henderson but with every win I?m becoming less adamant about it.

As someone who hasn’t been one of his biggest detractors I agree. But I will say at this point he has earned the right to sell his vision for this program to Cohen. I think he will be in the battle of his life for this job if he wants it and as much as some hate it his success may cost him!! But if he can’t sell it I don’t want him because there is no man bigger than this program! I love all of halls thoughts because you are all fans but we need to step aside and trust the process and appreciate what he has done.

Dawgcap
06-20-2018, 12:55 AM
Dang typing on this phone but I hope you see what my point is

Todd4State
06-20-2018, 02:06 AM
I never disagreed with any of this. Again I love what he has done. Questionable decisions at times ? Yes but he has coached well and delegated to Gautreau. Lot of positive decisions. But again as much as I admire what he has done I want and expect a great finish but like many we know that we can’t make a hire based on 1 year. The difference in us is I don’t nitpick every decision because as a coach you still must have players make play but as you know in baseball most decisions are not always gonna turn out right. Love your thoughts but to say he hasn’t done a great job under these circumstances is ridiculous.

I think he has done a good job of keeping the ship afloat.

I agree that players make plays- which is why I have given them a lot more credit than I have Henderson. That's also why I'm big on our coach being able to recruit well.

I don't know that I would say that most baseball decisions are not going to turn out right though. There is enough information out there to make informed decisions that will give you the best chance to win.

We're hot right now and playing with a lot of confidence at the absolute right time. Which is what we want. But I do think we underachieved somewhat during the regular season- I think our players are really good. That's why I predicted that we would make it to Omaha in the offseason even though the path didn't happen like I thought it would or could. And I think our coaching decisions were a lot of the reason for that underachievement plus we have 20 come from behind wins this year. That's about half of our wins on the year and that's just not sustainable over a long period of years.

If we win the National Championship I won't complain and will enjoy the hell out of it. But the years where we don't have things fall our way like this I won't enjoy as much.

Todd4State
06-20-2018, 02:08 AM
As someone who hasn’t been one of his biggest detractors I agree. But I will say at this point he has earned the right to sell his vision for this program to Cohen. I think he will be in the battle of his life for this job if he wants it and as much as some hate it his success may cost him!! But if he can’t sell it I don’t want him because there is no man bigger than this program! I love all of halls thoughts because you are all fans but we need to step aside and trust the process and appreciate what he has done.

If he wins the National Championship there is no question he will get an interview. He will probably get an interview even if he doesn't.

I don't understand the comment about his success may cost him though? His success is the only reason he has any shot at all.

Cooterpoot
06-20-2018, 06:22 AM
Why? I hope we have coaches sell their skills and dreams for our program and I hope Henderson does the same! Who has a long term view and the ability to achieve it?? Love where we are in this coaching search!! And yes I got your sarcasm but I guarantee we will have major coaches selling themselves for this job.

I think you’re going to be disappointed. We aren’t getting Schloss, McDonnell, Corbin, or Tadlock.