PDA

View Full Version : If Schloss Wants the Job, Cohen Has to Hire Him, Right?

ShotgunDawg
06-18-2018, 11:35 AM
Imagine if Jim Tressel was the AD at Ohio State and Urban Meyer wanted the football job.

Regardless of ego or Urban's reputation, Tressel would have to hire him right?

Political Hack
06-18-2018, 11:39 AM
No.

Liverpooldawg
Imagine if Jim Tressel was the AD at Ohio State and Urban Meyer wanted the football job.

Urban had won a national title. Schloss hasn't. ALSO...Cohen doesn't HAVE to hire anyone.

TNDawg35
I'd hire him in a heartbeat, then tell him to keep his mouth shut til we get done playing. Like I said, he is the kind of Coach that could walk in Starkville next yr and win a natty with what we have coming back along with the new recruits and possibly some he would bring.

Bulldog1
06-18-2018, 11:41 AM
If Schloss wants this job, I think we should hire him.

Political Hack
06-18-2018, 11:43 AM
I'd hire him in a heartbeat, then tell him to keep his mouth shut til we get done playing. Like I said, he is the kind of Coach that could walk in Starkville next yr and win a natty with what we have coming back along with the new recruits and possibly some he would bring.

Meanwhile, our current coach may win one this year.

Johnson85
06-18-2018, 11:44 AM

Doesn't have to. But if he thinks he's the right person for teh job, taking his name out of consideration earlier is not a deal killer.

smootness
06-18-2018, 11:45 AM
Depends on the other options. If Tadlock or someone similar is an option, then of course not. If it's Schlossnagle or Henderson/Thompson, then pretty much, yes.

ChillOutDog
06-18-2018, 11:46 AM
Depends on the other options. If Tadlock or someone similar is an option, then of course not. If it's Schlossnagle or Henderson/Thompson, then pretty much, yes.

Bingo

TNDawg35
06-18-2018, 11:47 AM

May very well, but I don't think Henderson is right for the long haul. Hendo is done great things this yr, don't get me wrong, but also done some stupid shit. I think this team deserves the credit. Not a coach. Mangum deserves the majority...

msstate7
06-18-2018, 11:47 AM
I think this schloss talk is out there. The guy publically shot us down. Time to move on

Cooterpoot
06-18-2018, 11:48 AM
No. And we didn't really need a second thread about it. Schloss didn't simply turn us down. Maybe Kendall Rogers will tweet about it.

ShotgunDawg
06-18-2018, 11:51 AM
Urban had won a national title. Schloss hasn't. ALSO...Cohen doesn't HAVE to hire anyone.

Come on Mane

ShotgunDawg
06-18-2018, 11:52 AM

For just managing a team. Not recruiting & not developing a culture. Just managing.

Hendo has done a great job, but I don't believe what he's done this year has most anything to do with whether or not he's the right guy long term

msudawglb
06-18-2018, 12:03 PM
I think this schloss talk is out there. The guy publically shot us down. Time to move on

I agree.

Let's think about this for a second. We are playing in the winners bracket of the CWS....and this rumor comes up. Let's think about who started this rumor and could it possibly damage our team while we are playing for a NC. Let's just focus on beating North Carolina and winning a NC. Then we can post about rumors and who we think should be our coach after that.

A rumor at the wrong time can do much damage to a team.

DownwardDawg
06-18-2018, 12:04 PM

This. Lol at these 2 threads. Fans are so damn gullible.

stalkingpoon
06-18-2018, 12:05 PM

You can’t hire Henderson for 3-4 weeks of great baseball. We were one strike from sitting at home right now. He’s done a fantastic job this post season, but I think you look at the bigger picture.

Liverpooldawg
06-18-2018, 12:06 PM
I agree.

Let's think about this for a second. We are playing in the winners bracket of the CWS....and this rumor comes up. Let's think about who started this rumor and could it possibly damage our team while we are playing for a NC. Let's just focus on beating North Carolina and winning a NC. Then we can post about rumors and who we think should be our coach after that.

Yep. Even if it IS true who benefits from bringing it up now? We don't.

msbulldog
06-18-2018, 12:11 PM
I agree.

Nailed It!

BankerDog
06-18-2018, 12:13 PM
Henderson has changed the culture completely in his time as the HC. I also believe you were one of the ones who dogged Cohen for hiring Andy. I know some issues rose around Schloss which made Cohen back off. You know if those issues rose with Andy when Cohen interviewed him, he wouldn't have made the hire.

Let me also be clear here, Schloss hasn't ever won one. People are all getting excited for someone who hasn't won it yet. Henderson could very well win it this year and you wanna discount that because all he did was "manage" it? Isn't that what they call most head coaches.."managers"? You operate like the CEO and hire good assistants to do their jobs...like Jake.

I also do know Henderson probably isn't gonna be the guy and the guy I alluded to back a few months ago is still in play and his team is in Omaha right now; they had a pretty impressive win last night as well.

msbulldog
06-18-2018, 12:14 PM
You can’t hire Henderson for 3-4 weeks of great baseball. We were one strike from sitting at home right now. He’s done a fantastic job this post season, but I think you look at the bigger picture.

And what if we had lost Saturday night after Hendy pulled France who was pitching Major league, everybody would have been calling for his head.

Anonymous
06-18-2018, 12:16 PM
If this is all true then he is the hire and has been for a while. Smells like he and Cohen wanted to stop the smoke, but this would explain why Saarlos is still at TCU.

msbulldog
06-18-2018, 12:18 PM
Henderson has changed the culture completely in his time as the HC. I also believe you were one of the ones who dogged Cohen for hiring Andy. I know some issues rose around Schloss which made Cohen back off. You know if those issues rose with Andy when Cohen interviewed him, he wouldn't have made the hire.

Let me also be clear here, Schloss hasn't ever won one. People are all getting excited for someone who hasn't won it yet. Henderson could very well win it this year and you wanna discount that because all he did was "manage" it? Isn't that what they call most head coaches.."managers"? You operate like the CEO and hire good assistants to do their jobs...like Jake.

I also do know Henderson probably isn't gonna be the guy and the guy I alluded to back a few months ago is still in play and his team is in Omaha right now; they had a pretty impressive win last night as well.

Tadlock huh.

06-18-2018, 12:20 PM

Would be the weirdest hire ever, we fire a guy that made the CWS, then a guy leaves his alma mater, who was also in the CWS, to become our coach

I'm just going to go ahead and put this out there - Tadlock will not be our coach

smootness
06-18-2018, 12:21 PM
Would be the weirdest hire ever, we fire a guy that made the CWS, then a guy leaves his alma mater, who was also in the CWS, to become our coach

I'm just going to go ahead and put this out there - Tadlock will not be our coach

Henderson. Can. Not. Be. Fired.

I don't know how many times this has to be said, and it may be influencing the way people are viewing it and why they think we'll receive such backlash, but you do not ever fire an interim. They are interim. It is understood that they do not have the permanent position. We would have to hire Henderson. We will not fire him because it is not possible, he does not have the job.

msbulldog
06-18-2018, 12:38 PM

I don't know how many times this has to be said, and it may be influencing the way people are viewing it and why they think we'll receive such backlash, but you do not ever fire an interim. They are interim. It is understood that they do not have the permanent position. We would have to hire Henderson. We will not fire him because it is not possible, he does not have the job.

Correct and he could be retained in some other capacity than HC, like recruiting analyst.

06-18-2018, 12:39 PM

you really just took the time to squabble over that lame detail? Ok, instead of "fire", replace with "turn loose" or whatever other group of words meets your approval

Good Lord

Do you realize that it doesn't matter? At all? The problem is the heat you take from everyone else for firing/not hiring/turning loose (insert other smootness approved phrase here)

"everyone else" could include media, players, parents, recruits, etc

06-18-2018, 12:40 PM
If this is all true then he is the hire and has been for a while. Smells like he and Cohen wanted to stop the smoke, but this would explain why Saarlos is still at TCU.

I could see this being the case, but of course, if so, things are not so peachy in the AD's office over in Fort Worth, he probably wants that contract signed, whereas Schloss is busy having his attorney 'delay' the proceedings hahaha

Political Hack
06-18-2018, 02:25 PM
You can?t hire Henderson for 3-4 weeks of great baseball. We were one strike from sitting at home right now. He?s done a fantastic job this post season, but I think you look at the bigger picture.

I feel confident in saying that had Cann stayed we would've been a bad team this season. He attracted talent (ball players and otherwise), but he was not the right guy to run the program long term. Henderson took a broken team and fixed it. People can say he hasn't recruited and built the program here yet, but 1) neither has any other new coach and 2) he absolutely fixed the culture problem this season... and did it quickly.

Pit Bull
06-18-2018, 02:31 PM
If Schloss wants this job, I think we should hire him.

So, we've come full circle with Schloss rumors now? You'd have better luck with a Quija Board in your coach search.

lefty96
06-18-2018, 02:36 PM
So, we've come full circle with Schloss rumors now? You'd have better luck with a Quija Board in your coach search.

How do you know that isn't what we are doing?

Pit Bull
06-18-2018, 02:45 PM
How do you know that isn't what we are doing?

Because Schloss himself said he was removing his name from the Miss. State Baseball HC search rumor list. When a coach publicly says he doesn't want the job and fans keep churning the rumors, it can only be an Elite Dawg Thang hoping beyond hope for a self fulfilling prophecy.

ShotgunDawg
06-18-2018, 02:51 PM
I feel confident in saying that had Cann stayed we would've been a bad team this season. He attracted talent (ball players and otherwise), but he was not the right guy to run the program long term. Henderson took a broken team and fixed it. People can say he hasn't recruited and built the program here yet, but 1) neither has any other new coach and 2) he absolutely fixed the culture problem this season... and did it quickly.

You make great points & what you are saying is logical. However, I just can't get on board with Henderson being a full-time coach & I have my own reasons for that.

ScrotieMcBoogerBalls
06-18-2018, 03:23 PM
you really just took the time to squabble over that lame detail? Ok, instead of "fire", replace with "turn loose" or whatever other group of words meets your approval

Good Lord

Do you realize that it doesn't matter? At all? The problem is the heat you take from everyone else for firing/not hiring/turning loose (insert other smootness approved phrase here)

"everyone else" could include media, players, parents, recruits, etc

Who cares about the media backfire. In today's sports news cycle it would be forgotten in 1-2 weeks.

mparkerfd20
06-18-2018, 03:26 PM
Because Schloss himself said he was removing his name from the Miss. State Baseball HC search rumor list. When a coach publicly says he doesn't want the job and fans keep churning the rumors, it can only be an Elite Dawg Thang hoping beyond hope for a self fulfilling prophecy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCWGGxIYsMc

Political Hack
06-18-2018, 03:27 PM
You make great points & what you are saying is logical. However, I just can't get on board with Henderson being a full-time coach & I have my own reasons for that.

Likewise. I'm not saying that there isn't a better coach out there. I just trust Cohen to make the right decision.

bobcat91
06-18-2018, 03:42 PM
Hiring Henderson would set us back worse than Polk 2. You can't make an emotional hire. He has a track record of mediocrity and admitted he was burned out when UK moved on. If Schloss or McDonnell say they want it you give it to them. It's like turning down a perfect 10 for a 4 with acne.