PDA

View Full Version : Mississippi College to change name to a University....

CadaverDawg
10-10-2013, 09:34 PM
Thanks to AFDawg for this link....

http://themississippicollegian.com/2013/09/24/mc-to-change-the-universitys-name/

Thought it would be interesting to see what names we could come up with for the new University in Clinton, MS. Could be serious or funny.

Go..

Will James
10-10-2013, 09:39 PM
Mississippi Baptist University

Political Hack
10-10-2013, 09:40 PM
Mississippi Central. Will still be MC.

CadaverDawg
10-10-2013, 09:42 PM
How great would it be if they named themselves the Mississippi University LandSharks

FlabLoser
10-10-2013, 09:42 PM
Though no definite contenders have been decided upon concerning the new name, Dr. Turcotte feels that having ‘university’ in the name will, “help us catch up to our reputation.”

Because "university" carries such prestige in Mississippi. Look around at other schools in MS that carry a university name.

And there are a lot of great schools nationally who don't carry "university" in the name.

On more practical reasoning, here is a list of programs at MC:

PROGRAMS
Department of Communication
Department of Kinesiology
Department of Psychology & Counseling
Interdisciplinary Studies
School of Business
School of Education
School of Humanities & Social Sciences
School of Science & Mathematics

Not very broad. Not much of a university there. The whole deal is lame. Why don't they jump to D1 football too...

Dawg61
10-10-2013, 09:43 PM
Sippi University

CadaverDawg
10-10-2013, 09:44 PM
Though no definite contenders have been decided upon concerning the new name, Dr. Turcotte feels that having ‘university’ in the name will, “help us catch up to our reputation.”

Because "university" carries such prestige in Mississippi. Look around at other schools in MS that carry a university name.

And there are a lot of great schools nationally who don't carry "university" in the name.

On more practical reasoning, here is a list of programs at MC:

PROGRAMS
Department of Communication
Department of Kinesiology
Department of Psychology & Counseling
Interdisciplinary Studies
School of Business
School of Education
School of Humanities & Social Sciences
School of Science & Mathematics

Not very broad. Not much of a university there. The whole deal is lame. Why don't they jump to D1 football too...

They also have a medical and law school

FlabLoser
10-10-2013, 09:45 PM
University of Mississippi College

Mississippi University (please choose this...really)

Clinton University

Mississippi Choctaw College (because MCC would certainly not make them look like a 2 year school)

FlabLoser
10-10-2013, 09:46 PM
'Sippi University, or SU. They put the "su" in "sue".

Fred Garvin
10-10-2013, 10:14 PM
Mount Salus University

CooterDavenport
10-10-2013, 10:37 PM

No med school. Just a nursing school. William Carey has a D.O. med school.

My mom, who went there, tells me a leading candidate is "Mississippi Christian University" so as to retain "MC."

Dawg61
10-10-2013, 10:41 PM

My mom, who went there, tells me a leading candidate is "Mississippi Christian University" so as to retain "MC."

That's pretty good. Like TCU. Do they have a football program?

CadaverDawg
10-10-2013, 10:43 PM

That's right....Nursing School. Thanks for correcting me

CooterDavenport
10-10-2013, 11:10 PM
Do they have a football program?

Yes--just moved back up to D2. (Not FCS [former Division 1AA], Division 2--to forestall the perennial confusion.)

FlabLoser
10-10-2013, 11:11 PM
I want to say MC won a national championship and later had it revoked. #crootin

EDIT...yep, 1989. Later taken away because...crootin.

TheRef
10-10-2013, 11:23 PM
I want to say MC won a national championship and later had it revoked. #crootin

EDIT...yep, 1989. Later taken away because...crootin.

Talks are that they will be joining the Gulf South Conference in D-II which includes an old rival in Delta State University. These two schools were very bitter rivals back in the day when both DSU and MC were perennial powerhouses in D-II Football. Needless to say, this will be great for the reignition of this rivalry. Okra v. Choctaws!!!! FEAR THE OKRA!

CadaverDawg
10-10-2013, 11:37 PM
Talks are that they will be joining the Gulf South Conference in D-II which includes an old rival in Delta State University. These two schools were very bitter rivals back in the day when both DSU and MC were perennial powerhouses in D-II Football. Needless to say, this will be great for the reignition of this rivalry. Okra v. Choctaws!!!! FEAR THE OKRA!

I do think it will be a good thing. MC used to be really good back in the day. Fred mcAfee baby!

TheRef
10-10-2013, 11:38 PM
MC definitely was good....glad to have them back in D-II

32 Dive
10-11-2013, 06:59 AM
"Six Flags over Jesus"

Twenty-five years ago, it was often referred to that during my year there...

TheRef
10-11-2013, 07:46 AM
"Six Flags over Jesus"

THIS...make it happen

DawgInMemphis
10-11-2013, 08:18 AM

You're thinking of UMMC - University of Mississippi Medical Center. They've got a med school, pharmacy school, nursing school, etc. UMMC and UMC aren't the same thing.

Drugdog
10-11-2013, 08:34 AM
Is there a worse helmet design than Delta States. Terruuubble.

CooterDavenport
10-11-2013, 08:35 AM
UMMC and UMC aren't the same thing.

I think you mean MC and UMMC aren't the same thing.

UMC and UMMC actually are the same thing: http://www.umc.edu/Default.aspx

curmudgeon
10-11-2013, 08:41 AM
Its going to be Mississippi Christian University so they can keep the "MC"

The interesting thing is they are changing mascots as well. No clear favorites there.

CooterDavenport
10-11-2013, 08:51 AM
I propose a golden-winged bulldog with a cane and a hat. The MCU Chimeras.

DawgInMemphis
10-11-2013, 08:59 AM
I think you mean MC and UMMC aren't the same thing.

UMC and UMMC actually are the same thing: http://www.umc.edu/Default.aspx

Whoops, yeah.

CadaverDawg
10-11-2013, 10:17 AM
You're thinking of UMMC - University of Mississippi Medical Center. They've got a med school, pharmacy school, nursing school, etc. UMMC and UMC aren't the same thing.

No, I went there for a short period. Mississippi College has a school of nursing and a School of law.

TheRef
10-11-2013, 10:20 AM
No, I went there for a short period. Mississippi College has a school of nursing and a School of law.

http://law.mc.edu http://www.mc.edu/academics/nursing/

CadaverDawg
10-11-2013, 10:23 AM

The interesting thing is they are changing mascots as well. No clear favorites there.

Should be interesting. I wonder if they try to stick with the Indian theme, or go a different direction altogether

CadaverDawg
10-11-2013, 10:23 AM
http://law.mc.edu http://www.mc.edu/academics/nursing/

Thanks brother

TheRef
10-11-2013, 10:25 AM
Thanks brother

No problem buddy. A friend of mine is at MC Law.

curmudgeon
10-11-2013, 12:40 PM
Should be interesting. I wonder if they try to stick with the Indian theme, or go a different direction altogether

Unofficially, I was told that part of their approval (after initial denial) of their move back to Division II was to drop the racist name.

Could be worse, Belhaven was the Clansmen (think Scottish Highlanders, Braveheart) until the 80s. They still use the Braveheart dude though. But Clansmen didn't go over very well in Mississippi, even without the "K."

PassInterference
10-11-2013, 12:52 PM

There is a tendency to pick some kind if historical name. Sadly, MS has a lot of history that we aren't proud of.

But there is much to be proud of that is often overlooked.

I propose The Blues. Their logo could be a guitar, harmonica, or something like the St Louis Blues have. The name even fits the color scheme.

That said, I think the go Clinton High with it - The Arrows or Arrowheads.

CooterDavenport
10-11-2013, 02:40 PM
Arrows is derivative of Choctaws, so that would sort of be coming full circle.

CooterDavenport
10-11-2013, 02:41 PM
I'm not sure if they're changing Choctaws or just getting a non-Choctaw on field mascot. I think they have permission from the Mississipi Band of Choctaw Indians to call themselves the Choctaws.