PDA

View Full Version : Wow, Marlon Humphrey just faced palmed all of us who question Dan's recruiting...

CadaverDawg
10-10-2013, 08:24 PM
@marlon_humphrey: Out of all the head coaches I've talked to @CoachDanMullen gotta be the coolest/chillest one!

msstate7
10-10-2013, 08:25 PM
Then come be cool with him MH. Please come...

DownwardDawg
10-10-2013, 08:26 PM
It would be HUGE to sign him! Please let that happen!!!

CadaverDawg
10-10-2013, 08:27 PM
Then come be cool with him MH. Please come...

No doubt. Hopefully Dan said he can start next year (this year if he could get eligible) in our secondary. We will have a pretty damn good team next year so it would be a good year to jump on board and lock down a spot.

Dawg61
10-10-2013, 08:31 PM
@marlon_humphrey: Out of all the head coaches I've talked to @CoachDanMullen gotta be the coolest/chillest one!

Have I mentioned this guy is #1 on my wish list. Get it done Dan!

msstate7
10-10-2013, 08:32 PM
It would be HUGE to sign him! Please let that happen!!!

It just seems this kid wants to come here. I would love to close out strong and make his decision even harder. If we don't have a winning season, I don't think we give ourselves a chance with him. The other 2 schools he's considering (bama and fsu) are national champion contenders. We've gotta figure out a way to win some games

Dawg61
10-10-2013, 08:34 PM
It just seems this kid wants to come here. I would love to close out strong and make his decision even harder. If we don't have a winning season, I don't think we give ourselves a chance with him. The other 2 schools he's considering (bama and fsu) are national champion contenders. We've gotta figure out a way to win some games

This is the same guy that tweeted out the kkk joke about Ole Miss. I have never seen a better fit for MSU than a stud DB that enjoys making fun of Ole Miss too.

DownwardDawg
10-10-2013, 08:36 PM
This is the same guy that tweeted out the kkk joke about Ole Miss. I have never seen a better fit for MSU than a stud DB that enjoys making fun of Ole Miss too.

It's a perfect fit!

BHildreth3
10-10-2013, 08:52 PM
No way does Bobby Humphrey's son sign anywhere except Bama

CadaverDawg
10-10-2013, 08:54 PM

His other son played for Arkansas, didn't he?

Dawg61
10-10-2013, 08:55 PM

Then he's doing a good job of getting our hopes up cause he's been talking MSU for awhile now.

CadaverDawg
10-10-2013, 08:56 PM
Yep, Maudrecus. Glad to know that Bobby let's his sons make their own choices.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/05/three_more_arkansas_football_p.html

Dawg61
10-10-2013, 09:00 PM

Does his brother have any eligibility left? We could pull a Nkemdiche.

BrunswickDawg
10-10-2013, 09:13 PM

Peyton Manning approves this message

CadaverDawg
10-10-2013, 09:13 PM
Peyton Manning approves this message

+1

FlabLoser
10-10-2013, 09:17 PM
I'd like to see Redmond & Humphrey playing together.

Oxfordawg
10-10-2013, 09:33 PM
He really enjoys trolling OM

bluelightstar
10-10-2013, 10:04 PM
We'll probably finish 2nd in his recruitment which means nothing

mic
10-10-2013, 10:09 PM
we need to get MH a GTHOM lid..
Ooooops hope Bracky doesn't read that..

Dawg61
10-10-2013, 10:15 PM
we need to get MH a GTHOM lid..
Ooooops hope Bracky doesn't read that..

Too late Bracky already suspended him 18 games**

mic
10-10-2013, 10:20 PM
Too late Bracky already suspended him 18 games**

+1

SPMT
10-10-2013, 11:00 PM

And I don't think Bama offered Maudrecus, seriously.

Also, why would a Bama legacy, with an offer, and one who is a db go anywhere but Bama? Saban will play him as a freshman if he is really as good as he thinks he is. At Bama he has better draft prospects, better chance at success in college football, and potentially better preparation for NFL db. I'm not holding out much hope.

FlabLoser
10-10-2013, 11:07 PM
Banks and Slay disagree on draft prospects.

ShotgunDawg
10-10-2013, 11:11 PM

Also, why would a Bama legacy, with an offer, and one who is a db go anywhere but Bama? Saban will play him as a freshman if he is really as good as he thinks he is. At Bama he has better draft prospects, better chance at success in college football, and potentially better preparation for NFL db. I'm not holding out much hope.

I don't understand why people think you have a better chance of going high in the draft by going to Bama. That simply isn't true. MSU is turning our talented players into NFL players the same way Bama is. We both play the same schedule, get similar coaching, and practice in the same caliber of facilities. No difference.

bulldawg28
10-11-2013, 05:28 AM
We'll probably finish 2nd in his recruitment which means nothing

You go to every MSU site talking crap about MSU. GTFO with you.

GumpDawg
10-11-2013, 08:09 AM

While in don't think we get him MH is a potential elite track star as well. That's where his heart may really be i don't know. Think Saban is going to let him do both? Nope and he may not like the thought of constant control over his future at Bama.

Coach34
10-11-2013, 08:13 AM
One of the nation's top DB's tweeted out that he basically loves Mullen.

Nothing to bitch about here- it's good stuff and hopefully Staley starts trying to reel him in too

C222
10-11-2013, 08:16 AM
I don't understand why people think you have a better chance of going high in the draft by going to Bama. That simply isn't true. MSU is turning our talented players into NFL players the same way Bama is. We both play the same schedule, get similar coaching, and practice in the same caliber of facilities. No difference.

You really don't think there is a difference?

Thick
10-11-2013, 08:20 AM

There's one difference....potential National Championship! He would be coached by Townsend, we have put db's in the NFL, and at Bama, he would be just another 5* player. At MSU, he could be a rock star!

ShotgunDawg
10-11-2013, 08:21 AM

There's not

ShotgunDawg
10-11-2013, 08:26 AM
There's one difference....potential National Championship! He would be coached by Townsend, we have put db's in the NFL, and at Bama, he would be just another 5* player. At MSU, he could be a rock star!

This, there is no difference in the capability to Bama to put players in the NFL over MSU. The only difference is in the likelihood that you could win a National Championship. Of course, thats just because Bama gets better players in recruiting. If Humphrey and Bo Scarborough came to MSU, and we started getting elite players, then we could have just as good of shot to win a NC as Bama.

There isn't anything in the water at Alabama. If you eat at Dreamland 3 times a week, it doesn't make you a better NFL prospect. The only reason they are more successful is that they have better players and those players are better when they are recruited. They aren't developed better. There is no mystical magic trick that Bama uses to win.

DownwardDawg
10-11-2013, 08:27 AM

I don't. They just sign more 5 star players than we do. When we have elite talent, they go to the NFL just like Bama's players do. Fletcher Cox wouldn't have went any earlier if he'd played at Bama. Banks was a 3 star recruit. What was Slay? I don't think either of them even had offers from Bama. If Chris Jones keeps playing like he is now, and keeps developing, he'll go in the 1st round. Bama can't send him any earlier than that. It's all about the talent level of the players.

Coach34
10-11-2013, 08:41 AM
Players are drafted on their measurables as much as anything- playing at Bama doesnt help you run a 4.34, bench 225 43 times, or any of that stuff anymore than playing at State does.

As far as RB's go- playing at Bama is starting to be seen as a detriment because these guys are beat up and run to death when they get to the NFL- and while young- they are very injury prone.

C222
10-11-2013, 08:42 AM
I don't. They just sign more 5 star players than we do. When we have elite talent, they go to the NFL just like Bama's players do. Fletcher Cox wouldn't have went any earlier if he'd played at Bama. Banks was a 3 star recruit. What was Slay? I don't think either of them even had offers from Bama. If Chris Jones keeps playing like he is now, and keeps developing, he'll go in the 1st round. Bama can't send him any earlier than that. It's all about the talent level of the players.

Do you think if Anthony Dixon went to Bama he would've been drafted higher than the 6th round? What about about Jerious? What if Mark Ingram went to State? Does he win the Heisman? Does he get drafted in the first round?

Coach34
10-11-2013, 08:46 AM
Do you think if Anthony Dixon went to Bama he would've been drafted higher than the 6th round? What about about Jerious? What if Mark Ingram went to State? Does he win the Heisman? Does he get drafted in the first round?

No on Dixon- he's a 6th round talent
Jerious the same way

Ingram? Would have run behind our OL in 2009 and 2010- he would have been an absolute freakin beast. Ballard had a 1000 in 2010, Ingram may have pushed 1,500 yards

C222
10-11-2013, 08:49 AM
No on Dixon- he's a 6th round talent
Jerious the same way

Ingram? Would have run behind our OL in 2009 and 2010- he would have been an absolute freakin beast. Ballard had a 1000 in 2010, Ingram may have pushed 1,500 yards

You think Ingram was 4-5 rounds better than Dixon and Ballard?

Barking 13
10-11-2013, 08:50 AM

Don't forget about Mr. Sherrod...

C222
10-11-2013, 08:53 AM

The differences are better players, better coaches, better facilities, bigger budget, bigger brand, etc. All of which give players a better chance at the NFL than they would have at MSU.

mic
10-11-2013, 08:55 AM
We have a 5* star top 10 player in the country that says we are going to be one of his top 3 hats on hat day and that he is pro Mullen and the first response from some of our fan base is 0% chance we get him...
And we wonder why we have the worse fan base ever..

Coach34
10-11-2013, 08:58 AM
We have a 5* star top 10 player in the country that says we are going to be one of his top 3 hats on hat day and that he is pro Mullen and the first response from some of our fan base is 0% chance we get him...

exactly

smootness
10-11-2013, 08:59 AM
I think there are some positions, mostly on offense, where a player might get a boost in the draft because he had success in college. For example, I think AJ McCarron will be drafted higher coming out of Alabama with 2-3 national titles than he would have had he played at a school like Syracuse.

I think talent evaluators in the NFL make mistakes, and sometimes they will take one guy over another because he won a lot and didn't make a lot of mistakes, even if he wasn't asked to do as much. I don't think they will take a guy several rounds ahead of where they otherwise would, but I think they can get a bump.

But Ingram ran the 40 faster than both Dixon and Ballard (especially after he improved it quite a bit at his pro day), and he was a great college RB. He would have been a great RB at State as well; winning the Heisman may have resulted in a slight bump, but I don't think it was huge. Just because his skills don't translate to the NFL doesn't mean teams wouldn't have taken him high had he been a great college RB at State.

But, there are a lot of positions (OL and essentially everything on D) where I don't think it matters at all where a guy played. Those guys generally aren't going to get the same accolades as a guy on offense, and they will be drafted exactly where the NFL thinks their skills warrant.

I don't think budget or 'brand' has anything to do with it. You see guys from tiny schools you've never heard of drafted high all the time, and you see Bama players fall or go undrafted as well.

C222
10-11-2013, 08:59 AM

Why is it so wrong that someone express their opinion on whether or not we sign a guy?

But I agree, our fan base sucks.

Coach34
10-11-2013, 09:00 AM
You think Ingram was 4-5 rounds better than Dixon and Ballard?

yes, without a doubt. I also think he would be a better pro if he wasnt in NOLA. He needs to be in an offense that runs at people- the Saints dont do that.

Coach34
10-11-2013, 09:02 AM
Why is it so wrong that someone express their opinion on whether or not we sign a guy?

It's not wrong to express the opinion- it's the fact that the opinion is "0%"

We are one of his top 3
He tweets out Mullen is his favorite coach
He takes shots at OM

That alone should be worth 10% shouldnt it?

mic
10-11-2013, 09:04 AM

We are one of his top 3
He takes shots at OM

That along should be worth 10% shouldnt it?

This ^^^^^

TheRef
10-11-2013, 09:04 AM

We are one of his top 3
He takes shots at OM

Can we get him in contact with SMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT

C222
10-11-2013, 09:07 AM

We are one of his top 3
He takes shots at OM

I just don't see the big deal in someone saying they don't think we get him but whatever.

mic
10-11-2013, 09:07 AM
The problem is all the people that say there is 0% chance we get him are the same ones that bitch and complain when we sign 2 or 3* star CB's ..

starkvegasdawg
10-11-2013, 09:12 AM
If he is strongly looking at us then please someone get him a copy of an NADA book so he knows what used cars are worth.

mic
10-11-2013, 09:16 AM
It seems to me that % not odds right now he commits to MSU is 33%. So that's what Im going with..

Bully13
10-11-2013, 09:16 AM
The differences are better players, better coaches, better facilities, bigger budget, bigger brand, etc. All of which give players a better chance at the NFL than they would have at MSU.
Nflouts evaluate talent and potential not the brand of where they college...nfl rosters are full of players from lesser schools...mullen has shown he can putpreviously unknowns in the league....take your negative falsehoods elsewhere ...we'rer

C222
10-11-2013, 09:21 AM
Nflouts evaluate talent and potential not the brand of where they college...nfl rosters are full of players from lesser schools...mullen has shown he can putpreviously unknowns in the league....take your negative falsehoods elsewhere ...we'rer

Sorry for expressing my opinion. I think players have a better shot making the NFL if they go to Bama. I am such an ass hole.

NFL rosters are also full of players from Alabama.

LiterallyPolice
10-11-2013, 09:21 AM

We are one of his top 3
He takes shots at OM

No, not really. Fanbases consistently overestimate these percentages in their favor. And the proof is in the results: When is the last time we actually landed a guy that we estimated at 10%? Or even 25%? Admittedly, there may be a few... and if so, I'd seriously like to know who they are because I can't think of any.

Don't get me wrong... it's not something that just MSU fans do... it's human nature really.

LiterallyPolice
10-11-2013, 09:26 AM
The problem is all the people that say there is 0% chance we get him are the same ones that bitch and complain when we sign 2 or 3* star CB's ..

What does this even mean? How is this a problem? You're implying that thinking those two things are somehow inconsistent or contradictory. It's not like the people saying 0% don't want that percentage to be higher...

smootness
10-11-2013, 09:27 AM
Don't get me wrong... it's not something that just MSU fans do... it's human nature really.

I think back to Perrilloux. Everything he said led State fans to believe we at least had some small shot, and there were some who started to believe he would shock the world.

In the end, we probably always had about a 0% chance to actually land him.

That has nothing to do with Humphrey, though. Our chances are probably incredibly small, but I'm still going to hope we do have a shot while remaining realistic that we probably won't land him. Best of both worlds - I won't be disappointed if we don't get him but still get to enjoy the ride.

Dawgfan77
10-11-2013, 09:45 AM
I will tell you what an NFL scout told me. If you have NFL talent the NFL will find you. I asked pretty close to the same question about does it make a difference where a kid plays. The only thing that he said was that at bigger programs tend to be on TV more but that was before the ESPN contract. So those that think you have to play at a big school and leave the state to accomplish big things keep in mind what the scout told me. I would wager a high profile player from MS or Bama would be better serverd to go to state than Bama big fish in a small pond vs small fish in big pond

Coach34
10-11-2013, 09:51 AM
What does this even mean? How is this a problem? You're implying that thinking those two things are somehow inconsistent or contradictory. It's not like the people saying 0% don't want that percentage to be higher...

I'd guess he is talking the mindset. OM fans have a 5 star looking at them and their response is "well of course he is, why wouldnt he want to go to OM???"

State fans response? "We have 0% chance"

I guess it's the old confidence thing when trying to pick up women. If you dont sell yourself well and have confidence in yourself- who will? We certainly have limitations and are behind the Big 6 of the SEC- but we should be able to pull a 5-star every now and then. We wont ever have a class full of 4's and 5's- but we can reel in one here and there.

Bully13
10-11-2013, 09:54 AM
C22 knows better than nfl scouts....getting the best h.s. players has nothing to do with the no of players bama puts in the nfl....its just cuz they went to bama....ha ha

hailmari
10-11-2013, 09:57 AM
Yep. Central Michigan had an OL drafted before any of Bama's in this past draft.

smootness
10-11-2013, 10:01 AM
I'd guess he is talking the mindset. OM fans have a 5 star looking at them and their response is "well of course he is, why wouldnt he want to go to OM???"

State fans response? "We have 0% chance"

I guess it's the old confidence thing when trying to pick up women. If you dont sell yourself well and have confidence in yourself- who will? We certainly have limitations and are behind the Big 6 of the SEC- but we should be able to pull a 5-star every now and then. We wont ever have a class full of 4's and 5's- but we can reel in one here and there.

This is definitely true, but it's true for the coaches, doesn't really have anything to do with us. I am confident we can pull Malik Newman, but our chances wouldn't change if I suddently thought it was hopeless.

C222
10-11-2013, 10:02 AM
C22 knows better than nfl scouts....getting the best h.s. players has nothing to do with the no of players bama puts in the nfl....its just cuz they went to bama....ha ha

Never said I did. I just believe going to a bigger, better school gives you a leg up on improving your draft stock.

C222
10-11-2013, 10:03 AM
This is definitely true, but it's true for the coaches, doesn't really have anything to do with us. I am confident we can pull Malik Newman, but our chances wouldn't change if I suddently thought it was hopeless.

What do you think Ole Miss' chances are of getting Malik?

Coach34
10-11-2013, 10:09 AM

Well, it depends. If you were one of the people he encountered on his visit and you spoke with him. It could very well depend on you.

If you say "we're glad you are visiting and I know you will love it here. It's just a great school and no doubt you will be happy here. No better place than State"

OR

If you say "we're glad you are visiting and we really hope you sign with us. I know we arent a Duke, North Carolina, or Kansas, but we hope that you will give us a chance"

What is said could totally influence how a recruit views our school. This type of thing does indeed happen on visits.

Bully13
10-11-2013, 10:11 AM
Never said I did. I just believe going to a bigger, better school gives you a leg up on improving your draft stock.

Thankfully for msu and other schools not named bama what you believe is wrong. Nfl scouting budgets and the modern info age has changed things

smootness
10-11-2013, 10:19 AM
Well, it depends. If you were one of the people he encountered on his visit and you spoke with him. It could very well depend on you.

If you say "we're glad you are visiting and I know you will love it here. It's just a great school and no doubt you will be happy here. No better place than State"

OR

If you say "we're glad you are visiting and we really hope you sign with us. I know we arent a Duke, North Carolina, or Kansas, but we hope that you will give us a chance"

What is said could totally influence how a recruit views our school. This type of thing does indeed happen on visits.

Well, yes, that's stupid. I would probably say nothing or just tell him, 'Glad you're here, we need you!' regardless of what I thought our chances were.

smootness
10-11-2013, 10:20 AM
What do you think Ole Miss' chances are of getting Malik?

0%

C222
10-11-2013, 10:21 AM
0%

Why? He's visited there. They are in his Top 5. He has talked well of them. Why 0%?

ckDOG
10-11-2013, 10:21 AM
Get the signature, Dan.

smootness
10-11-2013, 10:22 AM
Because he's not going to go there, period.

And I promise you they aren't actually in his top 5.

The only reason we have a shot is his connection to us through his dad and Detrick White and that he probably grew up a State fan. It has nothing to do with us being in MS.

C222
10-11-2013, 10:26 AM
Because he's not going to go there, period.

And I promise you they aren't actually in his top 5.

The only reason we have a shot is his connection to us through his dad and Detrick White and that he probably grew up a State fan. It has nothing to do with us being in MS.

And I don't think we get Marlon Humphrey. Sorry, I don't see a difference.

CadaverDawg
10-11-2013, 10:28 AM

Not reading anything beyond this^. That says it all. I thought everyone would be pumped that the guy is talking about loving Mullen, but....MSU gonna MSU

I think we've got a shot. If he wants his Bama connection, it is coaching our DB's and played in the NFL.

DownwardDawg
10-11-2013, 10:29 AM
Sorry for expressing my opinion. I think players have a better shot making the NFL if they go to Bama. I am such an ass hole.

You're not an asshole for saying this, you're just wrong. Of course NFL rosters are full of Bama players, and LSU players, and USC players. I'm not a genius, but I'd be willing to bet that is because those teams rank in the top 5 in recruiting every year. That means they sign NFL players every year. It's not that hard to understand. When we sign a high 4 or 5 star player, he's going to the NFL just as fast as the ones from Bama. They just have more of them on their team!

smootness
10-11-2013, 10:29 AM
And I don't think we get Marlon Humphrey. Sorry, I don't see a difference.

There isn't a difference really. Humphrey has been a lot more vocal about his love for some things State, but Newman hasn't been vocal at all.

I'm not sure what point you're making with me, though. I don't really disagree with you about Humphrey, and I definitely don't have an issue with you posting it on a message board. Some people have taken issue with you on that, but not me.

I just disagree with you on how much going to a school like Bama improves your draft chances.

C222
10-11-2013, 10:37 AM
There isn't a difference really. Humphrey has been a lot more vocal about his love for some things State, but Newman hasn't been vocal at all.

I'm not sure what point you're making with me, though. I don't really disagree with you about Humphrey, and I definitely don't have an issue with you posting it on a message board. Some people have taken issue with you on that, but not me.

I just disagree with you on how much going to a school like Bama improves your draft chances.

Shit, sorry man. Got my arguments with people mixed up. Haha. My bad.

Barking 13
10-11-2013, 10:39 AM
Dan, send him a card that says "you're a baller" :cool:

smootness
10-11-2013, 10:39 AM
No worries. I don't ever really have an issue with anything anyone posts on a message board, so long as it isn't annoying.

I may disagree, and I may disagree strongly, but that's what these boards are for. It's why they're fun and what keeps me coming back.

If it was just a place for everyone to say, 'Yeah! We're getting Marlon Humphrey, no doubt!', then what's the point, really?

Jack Lambert
10-11-2013, 11:08 AM
This, there is no difference in the capability to Bama to put players in the NFL over MSU. The only difference is in the likelihood that you could win a National Championship. Of course, thats just because Bama gets better players in recruiting. If Humphrey and Bo Scarborough came to MSU, and we started getting elite players, then we could have just as good of shot to win a NC as Bama.

There isn't anything in the water at Alabama. If you eat at Dreamland 3 times a week, it doesn't make you a better NFL prospect. The only reason they are more successful is that they have better players and those players are better when they are recruited. They aren't developed better. There is no mystical magic trick that Bama uses to win.

At alabama your just another fish in the sea. At Miss State you are a great white shark and you get noticed.

engie
10-11-2013, 11:34 AM
Dan, send him a card that says "you're a baller" :cool:

Already did...

dparker
10-11-2013, 12:01 PM
So here is my question, singling out no one in particular, if going to bigger schools like BAMA and LSU doesn't give you any edge in getting drafted, why are a significant number of people here saying we need to increase pay for assistant coaches (which I agree with)? To me, the whole reason to have good coaches is to develop the talent (techniques, etc.) and that has to have some effect on draft status.

BrunswickDawg
10-11-2013, 12:08 PM
So here is my question, singling out no one in particular, if going to bigger schools like BAMA and LSU doesn't give you any edge in getting drafted, why are a significant number of people here saying we need to increase pay for assistant coaches (which I agree with)? To me, the whole reason to have good coaches is to develop the talent (techniques, etc.) and that has to have some effect on draft status.

Those coaches get paid for their ability to make in-game adjustments that effect the outcome of the game. Top level coordinators get that money because they see what is going on, adjust, and win the games.

DownwardDawg
10-11-2013, 12:10 PM

More pay = better assistant coaches. We want better coaches to help win games.

Barking 13
10-11-2013, 12:50 PM
Already did...

Was that the one with the empty juice bottle and strategically placed FSU deal in it?

Dawg61
10-11-2013, 04:40 PM
Was that the one with the empty juice bottle and strategically placed FSU deal in it?

Think I've seen two tweets from Marlon with different juice pictures drawn. He thinks they're hilarious. It's a brilliant idea. The worse they're drawn the more funny they get. Funny is good in recruiting.

Hot Rock
10-11-2013, 07:41 PM

I say Mississippi State puts a higher percentage of players in the NFL than Bama does if you base it on potential coming out of high school.

If you would go by percent of four and five star recruits that end up in the NFL. I would think State's percentage would be greater. Has anyone done the math on that?

Political Hack
10-11-2013, 08:51 PM
Chris Jones gets exposure at State before he would at Bama.