PDA

View Full Version : A rant that everyone here is going to agree with

curmudgeon
10-10-2013, 06:18 PM
There is not a more divided fanbase in the SEC than Mississippi State. And it will always be the root cause of our lack of success.

Back in the late 90s/2000 you almost had a united fan base, but a chain of events set this in motion:

Madkin/Fant
Jackie/Fire Jackie
Stans/No Stans
Polk II/No Polk II
Raffo/Cohen
TSUN/No TSUN

Not to mention the entire Croom error, where the msbullies defended him while he was losing to Maine. Cohen takes us to the brink of a national championship and people are bitching about him cussing/bunting/pitching changes, etc. We have a PE coach as our compliance officer. That's insane, but he's "family" so he is untouchable. We had people fired for personal vendattas when they finally got LT out of there 10 years too late.

Now we have fricking MSU fans Photoshopping letters about Ole Miss not to make Ole Miss look bad, but to make other MSU fans look bad. This is insane. Do you think that other than a lunatic fringe, if Saban doesn't win a NC this year, Bama fans will want to fire him? Hell no. Even Ole Miss fans will rally around Freeze this year if he goes 7-5. Half our fanbase will be screaming for Hud if we manage to get this season to 6-6.

We get what we deserve.

CadaverDawg
10-10-2013, 06:29 PM
I disagree. **

Just kidding. Good post.

Political Hack
10-10-2013, 06:32 PM
we live for the misery.

Will James
10-10-2013, 06:35 PM
Hey the bunting was a legitimate beef and occurred before our Omaha run. Where we bunted far less.

GumpDawg
10-10-2013, 06:36 PM
Well said my friend

Thick
10-10-2013, 06:39 PM
There is not a more divided fanbase in the SEC than Mississippi State. And it will always be the root cause of our lack of success.

Back in the late 90s/2000 you almost had a united fan base, but a chain of events set this in motion:

Madkin/Fant
Jackie/Fire Jackie
Stans/No Stans
Polk II/No Polk II
Raffo/Cohen
TSUN/No TSUN

Not to mention the entire Croom error, where the msbullies defended him while he was losing to Maine. Cohen takes us to the brink of a national championship and people are bitching about him cussing/bunting/pitching changes, etc. We have a PE coach as our compliance officer. That's insane, but he's "family" so he is untouchable. We had people fired for personal vendattas when they finally got LT out of there 10 years too late.

Now we have fricking MSU fans Photoshopping letters about Ole Miss not to make Ole Miss look bad, but to make other MSU fans look bad. This is insane. Do you think that other than a lunatic fringe, if Saban doesn't win a NC this year, Bama fans will want to fire him? Hell no. Even Ole Miss fans will rally around Freeze this year if he goes 7-5. Half our fanbase will be screaming for Hud if we manage to get this season to 6-6.

We get what we deserve.

Great point!!!

Quaoarsking
10-10-2013, 06:51 PM
Yeah, it's pretty embarrassing that we let Ole Miss fans goad us into attacking each other. We need to be a solid, undivided block of fans.

Coach34
10-10-2013, 06:58 PM
Dont forget we had our own fansites trying to dig for the NCAA and make our probation worse than it ended up being all in the name of trying to eliminate another fansite

slickdawg
10-10-2013, 07:03 PM

Madkin/Fant
Jackie/Fire Jackie
Stans/No Stans
Polk II/No Polk II
Raffo/Cohen
TSUN/No TSUN

We get what we deserve.

Sad but true. Sad but true.

WeWonItAll(Most)
10-10-2013, 07:13 PM
I would like to start an initiative to re-unite Sixpack and Elitedawg. It's a start...a start for change

GumpDawg
10-10-2013, 07:15 PM
Dont forget we had our own fansites trying to dig for the NCAA and make our probation worse than it ended up being all in the name of trying to eliminate another fansite

It's like the idiots doing all the shit slinging didn't realize a lot of people carried multiple memberships to sites. I know scout lost my business after that (no jokes about how long it took me to see the light). I love how rosebowl and gene always act holier than thou on the Redmond deal blasting hack, but they were the ones in bed with divinner the whole time.

I have always wondered what our issue is. Is it due to being a small fan base and everyone fighting for access or something else? Or is it the new blood vs the old blood?

slickdawg
10-10-2013, 07:18 PM
I would like to start an initiative to re-unite Sixpack and Elitedawg. It's a start...a start for change

That's too funny. They took great pride in banning Coach, and even more in throwing him under the bus today.

WeWonItAll(Most)
10-10-2013, 07:19 PM
That's too funny. They took great pride in banning Coach, and even more in throwing him under the bus today.
I should have added sarcaktricks. While I think it should happen, I realize it won't.

Coach34
10-10-2013, 07:20 PM

Well, to set the record straight- they banned me AFTER I announced I wouldnt be posting there anymore. Kinda like firing someone after they resign

Dawg61
10-10-2013, 07:23 PM
How do you know who it was? Nobodies owned it as far as I can tell.

DownwardDawg
10-10-2013, 07:25 PM
Very well said. It's a sad situation, but oh so true. How did I become such a fan just by attending college there? Damn!

slickdawg
10-10-2013, 07:26 PM
How do you know who it was? Nobodies owned it as far as I can tell.

There's two groups of people that hate coach:

1) Ole Miss fans on SPS
2) State fans on SPS

Who was tweeting all about it and making a thread on SPS ?

Not hard to figure out.

curmudgeon
10-10-2013, 07:33 PM
Those of us that remember the birth of SixPack, it was the same deal - Gene basically was an ass. He has lost significant income over the years being an ass. Instead of allowing folks to vent a little, any dose of realism was bans and threats.

There was Team Gene and Team Andy K. Then the uniting of the fanbase moved everyone to Team Gene. Then there was Team Gene and Team Six Pack, then Team Wardlaw, now Team Elite. We have three active message boards that all hate each other and less than 10,000 active members of the Bulldog Club, and we bitch when we can't beat LSU.

I'm picking on Will James for the bunting, but the fact that was a major topic on a message board for weeks is what I am talking about. Its one fan's opinion and it is not a big deal. I think we should bench Russell and play for the future - the best we can do this year is 6-6, and that's pulling an upset. Many agree with me but just as many are ready to cast me into the fire, and some think we can still go 9-3.

I also did not like Stans. Not because we didn't have some success - he was an asshole and his ego cost us games. Not poor coaching. His ego. He thought he ran the school and he treated sweet Meo like crap and she still came to games to cheer him on. I would have said it during a 4-12 SEC season or the SEC Championship season. His downfall was his ego.

The reason you can't talk about things like that is that MSU fans will shout you down at least, and at worst hunt you down and call and threaten your job.

Will James
10-10-2013, 07:57 PM
I think a lot of it is people who want nothing more than to maximize our chances of winning...... and then other people. We aren't real used to winning in football so some do not have the mindset to even try. See Rougedawg's post on fans yelling here compared to everywhere else.

Its the meh against the all in's

FlabLoser
10-10-2013, 08:08 PM

I like Sixpack. I just don't like the rebels being over there.

Maroonthirteen
10-10-2013, 08:11 PM
Meh, We ain't got squat on Alabama or Arkansas. Have we thrown a brick through a coaches office window? how about fired a coach one game into the season? Dug up a coaches cell phone records? fired a coach after a win over the rival and bowl game?

Also, all those schools win at a higher rate than 45%.

BossDawg
10-10-2013, 08:33 PM
Meh, We ain't got squat on Alabama or Arkansas. Have we thrown a brick through a coaches office window? how about fired a coach one game into the season? Dug up a coaches cell phone records? fired a coach after a win over the rival and bowl game?

Well, those really don't have anything to do with a "divided fan base". You're talking about a small contingent of nut jobs present in every fan base.

We do seem to have an uncharacteristically high number of fans that would rather see other State fans who are "wrong" go down, rather than focus on the overall success of MSU athletics.

Drugdog
10-11-2013, 08:25 AM
I liked six pack. I also liked baby formula until I grew up.

Maroonthirteen
10-11-2013, 08:48 AM
Arkansas fans were on the verge of a civil war during Nutt's last year.

LiterallyPolice
10-11-2013, 09:02 AM
Well, those really don't have anything to do with a "divided fan base". You're talking about a small contingent of nut jobs present in every fan base.

We do seem to have an uncharacteristically high number of fans that would rather see other State fans who are "wrong" go down, rather than focus on the overall success of MSU athletics.

I personally scratch my head every time I hear someone say "We have worst fans in America" or "Our fanbase is more divided than most".

I just don't think either of those is true. Those who feel that way probably do so because they are obviously more involved with our fans. They read every thread on every MSU message board, etc, so they see every little spat ("We're divided!"). Or they see every time some nutjob says something idiotic ("We're the worst!").

Along these same lines..... why is everyone assuming that it was an MSU fan who faked the letter???

smootness
10-11-2013, 09:04 AM
I personally scratch my head every time I hear someone say "We have worst fans in America" or "Our fanbase is more divided than most".

I just don't think either of those is true. Those who feel that way probably do so because they are obviously more involved with our fans. They read every thread on every MSU message board, etc, so they see every little spat ("We're divided!"). Or they see every time some nutjob says something idiotic ("We're the worst!").

Along these same lines..... why is everyone assuming that it was an MSU fan who faked the letter???

I like this post.

Our fanbase also isn't as big as others, so every 'nut' is automatically a higher % of the fanbase here than at other schools.

But it is funny to me that the people complaining about being a divided fanbase are generally the first to say, 'Our fanbase sucks'. Nothing will bring us together quite like that!

maroonmania
10-11-2013, 09:08 AM
I like Sixpack. I just don't like the rebels being over there.

Sort of ironic to me that guys like HD6 and dawgstudent over there that run Sixpack and claim to be so anti-OM (at least on their BSR show) essentially let a number of OM fans on Sixpack have a pretty big hand in running the place.

curmudgeon
10-11-2013, 09:50 AM

I don't read every post on every message board. I haven't gone to GP in years and yesterday was the first day I went to the Pack in quite some time. I'm going back to the pre-message board era.

Case in point, in 1996, before we beat Alabama, we lost to a very bad Louisiana Tech team. I said in the stands (in frustration) that we should just fire Jackie on the spot. We all have said stupid things before.

I was a student worker on campus. The following Monday, I was called into my bosses office. Someone in the department had heard me say it and went to my boss. Nothing came of it, but this is the type of crap that we are seeing now with an MSU fan faking this letter to make another MSU fan look bad. Coach has also gotten calls at work that were instigated by MSU fans that disagreed with him.

The only time in SEC history when another fanbase even approached what we are constantly was the Nutt/Arkansas fiasco. And the only fanbase that may be as divided as us in the nation is Michigan. Their division killed their basketball program and almost killed their football program.

bluelightstar
10-11-2013, 10:08 AM
Again, you aren't involved enough in other fanbases to say that.

Bullmutt
10-11-2013, 10:30 AM
We are just a microcosm of the nation. The value base has become almost evenly split. What sets Bama apart is that they are winning championships. Times are good for them. In good times, even the biggest slug falls into lock step behind the leader. During times of mediocrity, everyone becomes a critic.

smootness
10-11-2013, 10:33 AM
I promise you that if you don't live in MS, as I don't, and can view it from afar, we aren't worse than anywhere else. In fact, I'd say we're probably better than most.

Regardless of what is going on in our program, we are less likely to show up and do something really dumb, like boo our coach/players, than other fanbases. I'm in Atlanta, and UGA fans have been killing their own for years and have had at least as many serious disagreements, most recently with whether or not to stick with Richt (still ongoing, btw).

Barking 13
10-11-2013, 10:33 AM
Two party system ain't workin' too good in DC these days either...

Jack Lambert
10-11-2013, 10:58 AM
I will disagree on one point but during the 1993 to 1996 seasons there were many fans who wanted JWS gone and many who wanted to keep him. There was a divide however we just didn't have message boards to magnify it.