PDA

View Full Version : Ethan Small starting tomorrow vs. Washington

Bulldog1
06-15-2018, 03:04 PM

msstatelp1
06-15-2018, 03:09 PM

I think it was good decision in the SR and a good one now.

Political Hack
06-15-2018, 03:11 PM
Must win.

Bulldog1
06-15-2018, 03:13 PM
I think it was good decision in the SR and a good one now.

Yep. I like it- gives us the best chance to win Game 1.

DawgFromOxford
06-15-2018, 03:32 PM
Looks like I'm in the minority here, but I don't like it. I think we could win game one with Pilk. That allows Small to throw against OrSt or NC. Beating either of those teams with Pilk seems far more unlikely than beating Washington with Pilk.

TheRef
06-15-2018, 03:40 PM
Pilkington's pitching style fits for TD Ameritrade. To be honest, almost all of our pitching fits for TD Ameritrade

ChadH44
06-15-2018, 03:49 PM
Lets just hope we get early march Pilk and not the one we've seen the last 2 months.

msstatelp1
06-15-2018, 04:44 PM
Looks like I'm in the minority here, but I don't like it. I think we could win game one with Pilk. That allows Small to throw against OrSt or NC. Beating either of those teams with Pilk seems far more unlikely than beating Washington with Pilk.

I thought Pilk pitched much better against Vandy. Hopefully he'll be back to true form for Game 2.

Todd4State
06-15-2018, 05:00 PM
Pilkington looked better in part because he got to rest. This will allow him a chance to get more rest so it's probably a good move.

Rick Danko
06-15-2018, 05:32 PM
Got to play to win game one, period. Love Pilk, but Small is a tad better right now

msbulldog
06-15-2018, 05:46 PM

I guess it's me and you as a minority, I agree. I would much rather pitch Small against Oregon St. or NC, both national seeds. Either way we're going to face one of them in the 2nd game, winners or losers bracket and I would rather have Small who is pitching better at this point face either one of them. We go to the winners bracket and win we don't have to play again until Friday. We get in the losers bracket and we may need Small to keep us from going 2 and Q.

If this blows up, it's another Hendo mistake.

99jc
06-15-2018, 07:53 PM
I guess it's me and you as a minority, I agree. I would much rather pitch Small against Oregon St. or NC, both national seeds. Either way we're going to face one of them in the 2nd game, winners or losers bracket and I would rather have Small who is pitching better at this point face either one of them. We go to the winners bracket and win we don't have to play again until Friday. We get in the losers bracket and we may need Small to keep us from going 2 and Q.

YOUR AN IDIOT.

Jarius
06-15-2018, 08:17 PM
This is not a Hendo mistake. You have to pitch your best in game 1 of the World Series. It also gives us a chance to throw Small 3 times instead of 2 throughout the entire tourney. It’s a good decision.

Dawg61
06-15-2018, 08:18 PM
Love this move for a couple reasons. Washington scares me almost as much as Oregon St. and UNC so I'd rather have the more sure thing in Small going game 1 but I think Pilk if he pitches his best has the better chance to shut down the OSU/UNC winner. Let's be honest guys we ain't winning the natty unless both off them are on.

Pit Bull
06-15-2018, 09:27 PM

Every coach in D-1 baseball makes decisions and calls that are mistakes.....EVERY DAY. Coaches will be the first to tell you that. They don't always work out. To go ahead and preblame Hendy for a decision he and his assistants think is best is well.....just downright stupid.

DawgFromOxford
06-15-2018, 09:40 PM
YOUR AN IDIOT.

*You're. Thanks for adding to the discussion keyboard cowboy. Lot's of great insight right there. I completely understand winning game one, but if Pilk pitches the way he did last weekend I think he can get it done leaving us with Small to throw against NC or OrSt. Having Small available for 3 games would be a nice thing. You'd just have to hope he can pitch a third time on short rest. Either way, if Gary's strategy works, the board is going to give credit to Gautreau. If Gary's plan fails, he's going to take the blame. Dawg61 you're right though, no matter what order we pitch them, Small and Pilk need to be on. No room for error.

preachermatt83
06-15-2018, 10:13 PM
Why in the world is anybody looking past anybody in the freaking cws. That’s just plain ignorant. Washington’s ace is one of the best In America and we have fans who want to save our best pitcher. Good grief what’s wrong with some ppl.

maroonmania
06-15-2018, 10:34 PM
Why in the world is anybody looking past anybody in the freaking cws. That’s just plain ignorant. Washington’s ace is one of the best In America and we have fans who want to save our best pitcher. Good grief what’s wrong with some ppl.

I agree, this talk of "saving" Small for OSU/NC is asinine. First, we absolutely can't afford to get into the loser's bracket after one game and second, UW has one of the best starters in the country going against us tomorrow. Not only that, but if we use Small tomorrow then he gets to pitch again sooner. As arm weary as Pilk is at the moment, I just don't see him bouncing back quickly after he pitches the first game. That is probably the reason we are going with Small anyway, to give Pilk more rest since his last start.

preachermatt83
06-15-2018, 11:19 PM
I agree, this talk of "saving" Small for OSU/NC is asinine. First, we absolutely can't afford to get into the loser's bracket after one game and second, UW has one of the best starters in the country going against us tomorrow. Not only that, but if we use Small tomorrow then he gets to pitch again sooner. As arm weary as Pilk is at the moment, I just don't see him bouncing back quickly after he pitches the first game. That is probably the reason we are going with Small anyway, to give Pilk more rest since his last start.
Truth

MaroonFlounder
06-15-2018, 11:28 PM
It’s a good decision if Washington pitches Demers. I’m assuming they are.

TheRef
06-15-2018, 11:33 PM
It’s a good decision if Washington pitches Demers. I’m assuming they are.

Yes. They are pitching DeMers first game.

Dawg61
06-16-2018, 12:47 AM
Yes. They are pitching DeMers first game.

He's a pitch to contact pitcher. Only 92 Ks in 123 innings. Doesn't walk anyone. Only 20 bbs on the year. Hitters are only hitting .212 against him. His whip is a minuscule .94. In his perfect game he only threw 84 pitches in the full 9 innings only getting one 3 ball count. He was drafted by the A's in the 11th round this year. This is going to be interesting. He might frustrate the shit outta us and we hit balls at defenders all game long or we might shell the **** outta him. I am thinking the Rally Banana sides with the 2nd option.