PDA

View Full Version : MSU Baseball Team

MarketingBully01
10-10-2013, 04:23 PM
How good will we be this year? Who are the new comers that will contribute a lot? Will Woodruff become a dominate starting pitcher? I am excited about this year. :). Can we make a return trip to Omaha? Todd, Engie, others what say you?

maroonmania
10-10-2013, 05:15 PM
My personal opinion is that we should have a good chance to be better than last year on the mound due to having better starting pitching while still having a stout bullpen. Hitting may struggle to be as good with Frazier and Renfroe removed from the lineup. Hopefully some other reliable hitters step forward quickly that can also play C, SS and LF.

Goat Holder
10-10-2013, 06:00 PM
If your baseline expectations are to make Omaha, then you will be disappointed. Not because we can't or won't. We definitely can, and will be good enough to win the national title. But things happen, look at Vanderbilt. We're built for TD Ameritrade, so we have that going for us. I think a realistic goal for this team to try and win the SEC and earn a national seed.

I disagree with others that say freshmen will come in and play immediately. That hasn't happened too much in the Cohen Era, Bradford is the only true freshman I remember being a REGULAR STARTER (for the nitpickers) since Day 1. Others have played (Frazier, Renfroe, Robson) but by the end of the year I think our upperclassmen will comprise the lineup. I am not worried about pitching at all, we'll be great there. I think your breakout players are going to be the Canadians, I expect them to make the sophomore jumps that are typical with the high-but-not-elite level talent guys. Daniel Garner will also be in the lineup.

Will James
10-10-2013, 06:33 PM
I expect more regular season wins and a stronger seed.

MsStateBaseball
10-10-2013, 07:00 PM
At minimum we will be a regional team. We can win 20 nonconf and 15 conf. We have the best talent since 1990. I mean 1-35. Lots of future pro players. Will write more as the fall progresses.

bully99
10-10-2013, 07:05 PM
I was looking at the fall roster. Where are the cuts going to be .
You can only have an active roster of 25 or 27 so that means about 18 players will be cut or not be on the active roster. I think Cohen oversigns so you have players end up transferring and leaving the program angry and unhappy. I've heard that players leave here with not saying many nice things about Cohen. Maybe I'm wrong but that's what I have heard.

WeWonItAll(Most)
10-10-2013, 07:07 PM
I disagree with others that say freshmen will come in and play immediately. That hasn't happened too much in the Cohen Era, Bradford is the only true freshman I remember being a REGULAR STARTER (for the nitpickers) since Day 1. Others have played (Frazier, Renfroe, Robson) but by the end of the year I think our upperclassmen will comprise the lineup. I am not worried about pitching at all, we'll be great there. I think your breakout players are going to be the Canadians, I expect them to make the sophomore jumps that are typical with the high-but-not-elite level talent guys. Daniel Garner will also be in the lineup.

He's never had a player like Humphreys coming out of high school either. He has just as good of a shot at starting at 3rd as Detz does

engie
10-10-2013, 07:14 PM
You can only have an active roster of 25 or 27 so that means about 18 players will be cut or not be on the active roster. I think Cohen oversigns so you have players end up transferring and leaving the program angry and unhappy. I've heard that players leave here with not saying many nice things about Cohen. Maybe I'm wrong but that's what I have heard.

This is stupid. Welcome to 2010**

What about the MANY players that just wanted a chance to play here under Polk -- but didn't get it -- since he was loyal to "his" guys for 4 years who were OFTEN not as good as the guys wanting so badly to be at MSU? What about them? What about Stephen Head? Logan Power? Drew Pomeranz? There's a million other examples that aren't as big of names, but could have helped us. I can go on...

Cohen gives basically ALL of these guys a chance to play at MSU. It's damn sure not his fault when they can't/don't cut it. That's more than Polk could say in a ton of instances. AND we end up with a much, MUCH better baseball program in the process...

Coach34
10-10-2013, 07:23 PM

This is not a Cohen thing- every school does this now. This is modern day NCAA baseball thanks to Title IX

messageboardsuperhero
10-10-2013, 07:24 PM
My expectations are to host a regional, compete for the SEC, and have a shot at a national seed. That's all you can really ask a team in the regular season. Just host and give yourself the best possible chance to get hot and make a run to Omaha.

curmudgeon
10-10-2013, 07:39 PM
We'll be better, but that doesn't mean we'll play for the national title again. We caught fire in Charlottesville and swept a team that should have kicked our ass. That could very well happen to us next season.

MsStateBaseball
10-10-2013, 08:02 PM
W regard to cutting, you can look at the roster and count 30 that won't. They are seniors, juniors or ultra talented. Coaches will sit down and tell them what to expect during year. If they think they should play more and they aren't then they will transfer. But like I said, walk ons are the ones on the short end. I would think they were told this.

bully99
10-10-2013, 09:59 PM
Well count me in as old school. If you recruit a kid who can't play then that's your fault. It's nothing but a tryout camp and you just use players and dump them. Sorry if you don't like that.
MSstateaseball...how many walkons are currently on the roster. BTW...I enjoy your work ...keep it up.

smootness
10-10-2013, 10:05 PM

Who cares what the players who leave the program say about Cohen?

engie
10-10-2013, 10:07 PM
Well count me in as old school. If you recruit a kid who can't play then that's your fault. It's nothing but a tryout camp and you just use players and dump them. Sorry if you don't like that.
MSstateaseball...how many walkons are currently on the roster. BTW...I enjoy your work ...keep it up.

Yep. Polk's way was definitely better**

MsStateBaseball
10-10-2013, 10:34 PM
Well 27 are getting the 11.7 scholarships. But I don't see 16 walk ons. I see 10. But I don't know everything. When these kids are interviewed and they say they are walking on then I know. Coaches don't tell as far as I know.

Todd4State
10-10-2013, 10:54 PM
Paul Young if healthy will contribute a lot - and possibly be a weekend starter. We're going to have a new catcher by default. So, expect to see a lot of Cody Walker and Daniel Garner, who is not really new but since he redshirted he is new as far as experience. Garner was just invited to the Cape Cod League for next year. Reid Humphries is very talented and I think he will start somewhere as a freshman. Seth Heck is a middle infielder that will compete for a middle infield spot, and then Jake Vickerson will compete for an outfield spot. I think Dakota Hudson will help us out either in the rotation or the bullpen.

I certainly believe that Woodruff can be a dominate pitcher- it's more a question of health with him than anything and that has been corrected.

As far as how good we can be- based on what we have coming back and the schedule and the SEC schedule that is the most favorable we have had in awhile- I think 40 wins during the regular season is very realistic and I think this team will contend for the SEC, and hosting a regional and Super Regional are attainable goals for them. Omaha again is also not out of the question either- especially if we do indeed get to stay in Starkville throughout our regional journey. Plus, this time we have some players with Omaha experience.

Todd4State
10-10-2013, 10:59 PM

Our attrition rate has been very good under Cohen the last three years. I'm sure that if he had his way, they would keep everyone that wants to be on the team. But the NCAA doesn't allow that. As a coach, you can't make everyone happy even if you want to. Plus, almost every player that has left has been a walk-on. If a player chooses to come tryout on his own and doesn't make the team, that's not a recruiting issue.

Will James
10-10-2013, 11:00 PM
Ill add my obligatory Lindgren will be SEC Pitcher of the Year to this thread. Better than Stratton. First round pick to the Cubs.

Todd4State
10-10-2013, 11:03 PM
We'll be better, but that doesn't mean we'll play for the national title again. We caught fire in Charlottesville and swept a team that should have kicked our ass. That could very well happen to us next season.

That was a very young Virginia team vs. our experienced MSU team. Plus Virginia had a ton of comebacks last year- so their record could have been misleading as far as how good they actually were. They do have a lot of talent, and I think they could be in Omaha this year though.

messageboardsuperhero
10-10-2013, 11:16 PM

I doubt our attrition rate is any worse than most SEC programs. And I haven't heard of any players transferring because they hated Cohen since Polk's players had their mass exodus during those first two years.

bully99
10-10-2013, 11:48 PM
I appreciate everybodys opinion. I'm just old and old school. I was at State during the "glory years when Castoria, Gillaspie, Palmeiro, Clark, Brantley, Bradford, Klipstein, Van Cleve, etc. I saw a lot of great players in a crappola facility. I know Polk used to have walkon day where he had players from all over the country in there trying to make the team and he gave everybody a chance to prove themselves.Few walkons made it, but some did. Just different today.

Will James
10-11-2013, 06:34 AM
What time does everything at DNF start today? Specifically when will the actual scrimmage begin? Please be 430 or later so us tent setter uppers can go after we set up.

messageboardsuperhero
10-11-2013, 07:03 AM
What time does everything at DNF start today? Specifically when will the actual scrimmage begin? Please be 430 or later so us tent setter uppers can go after we set up.

The scrimmage starts at 4:30.

TrueMaroon
10-11-2013, 08:27 AM
Ill add my obligatory Lindgren will be SEC Pitcher of the Year to this thread. Better than Stratton. First round pick to the Cubs.

Hes going to be coming out of the bullpen this year FWIW.

messageboardsuperhero
10-11-2013, 08:32 AM
Hes going to be coming out of the bullpen this year FWIW.

Where are you hearing this? I wouldn't doubt that it's true and I did know it was a possibility, but I haven't seen anyone else definitively say this.

TrueMaroon
10-11-2013, 09:53 AM
Where are you hearing this? I wouldn't doubt that it's true and I did know it was a possibility, but I haven't seen anyone else definitively say this.

From a parent of a player

Bullmutt
10-11-2013, 10:01 AM
Regarding walk-ons, can anyone think of a walk-on who not only made the team but went on to really distinguish himself?

smootness
10-11-2013, 10:03 AM
That can be a very good spot at State. I would personally prefer he start, but Girodo made himself a lot of money in that role.

I think he could still be a 1st round pick even coming out of the bullpen.

Will James
10-11-2013, 10:29 AM
I'd prefer Lindgren pitch innings 3-8 rather than 1-6. If we can successfully employ the dual starter/bull penning strategy we will have an advantage on everyone else.

smootness
10-11-2013, 10:36 AM
I'd prefer Lindgren pitch innings 3-8 rather than 1-6. If we can successfully employ the dual starter/bull penning strategy we will have an advantage on everyone else.

Agreed. There's something so difficult for opposing teams about knowing who will start, but knowing he won't pitch very long, and not knowing exactly who will pitch most of the game.

Nobody in the country last year had a weapon like Girodo or Ross Mitchell that they could bring in after the game started and just shut people down for several innings, and it carried us pretty far.

If we can improve the actual starters (which we should, even if Lindgren isn't one of them), and still have some deadly weapons out of the pen who can pitch for a while as need be, it will be devastating.

Think about a super regional, or Omaha, where we can start a guy like Woodruff, who has the ability to dominate the entire game, and still have Ross Mitchell or Jacob Lindgren waiting if things get shaky.

engie
10-11-2013, 10:53 AM
I appreciate everybodys opinion. I'm just old and old school. I was at State during the "glory years when Castoria, Gillaspie, Palmeiro, Clark, Brantley, Bradford, Klipstein, Van Cleve, etc. I saw a lot of great players in a crappola facility. I know Polk used to have walkon day where he had players from all over the country in there trying to make the team and he gave everybody a chance to prove themselves.Few walkons made it, but some did. Just different today.

Cohen has walk ons make the team EVERY single year. Ever heard of Trey Porter? There's a reason that Cohen no longer makes it clear who is on scholarship and who isn't -- because he WANTS everyone to know they are getting a fair shot to earn the right to play for us on the field. And if a walk-on is better than a scholarship player, they make the team -- and the scholarship guy is gone. That's the nature of the beast under Cohen. Fair to everyone.

As early as 2002-2003, Polk was famous for cutting "invited walk ons" that he promised a spot on the team during recruiting("we want you -- and would like to offer you a scholarship -- but we're all full right now -- come here, play well, and you'll get a scholarship later on") before cutting their asses in the fall and leaving basically optionless. These were kids that LOVED MSU -- many of which had MANY other options that they declined in order to try to suit up for the maroon and white. They were cut in favor of "scholarship players" in MANY instances who weren't as good as the walk-ons -- obviously -- judging by how the talent level went on Polk's later teams compared to Cohen's teams. There's ALOT of Ole Miss All-Americans that didn't come to MSU because of Polk's walk-on shenanigans even moreso than his lack of recruiting... He burned a TON of bridges in MS doing that stuff...

None of this is secondhand info.

Mulligan
10-11-2013, 11:05 AM
Regarding walk-ons, can anyone think of a walk-on who not only made the team but went on to really distinguish himself?

Jon Knott

RBritt
10-11-2013, 11:41 AM
Enrico Jones.

Homedawg
10-11-2013, 11:53 AM
Enrico Jones.

He got scholarship $

Will James
10-11-2013, 12:26 PM
Is today the only scrimmage of the weekend? Anyone have a scrimmage schedule?

bully99
10-11-2013, 12:41 PM
Another thing, up until a few years ago baseball players could transfer to another division
1 school without having to sit a year. That's no longer the rule and that makes a big difference in the process today.

BulldogBruce
10-11-2013, 01:42 PM
At minimum we will be a regional team. We can win 20 nonconf and 15 conf. We have the best talent since 1990. I mean 1-35. Lots of future pro players. Will write more as the fall progresses.

I know someone asked for it and I sent it to them at one point.