PDA

View Full Version : Have any of you thought that maybe Henderson don't want the job?

Jack Lambert
06-15-2018, 10:08 AM
He might be happy being a pitching coach.

Captain Falcon
06-15-2018, 10:23 AM
No, because that?s not true. If Cohen offers him the job he is going to take it.

To me, that theory is just wishful thinking from people who are REALLY opposed to hiring him. I?m not saying he?s my first choice but I?m more open to it than I was a couple of weeks ago.

Tbonewannabe
06-15-2018, 10:31 AM
No, because that?s not true. If Cohen offers him the job he is going to take it.

To me, that theory is just wishful thinking from people who are REALLY opposed to hiring him. I?m not saying he?s my first choice but I?m more open to it than I was a couple of weeks ago.

Cohen talked him out of retirement to even come to MSU. Hendo said it himself that the Head job is pretty much your life. I am not saying he should have the job or not but the SEC is another level that is required of a coach. MSU would also be more stress to win than UK and he got burnt out at UK.

Goose Willis
06-15-2018, 11:13 AM
I am all for Cohen hiring Hendo if he believes he is the right fit for the team. Although I am curious to see if Hendo is considering retiring after making it to Omaha. Going out with a bang situation.

Liverpooldawg
06-15-2018, 11:21 AM
I have heard rumors that that may be the case.

Cooterpoot
06-15-2018, 11:33 AM
We've got a winner!

starkvegasdawg
06-15-2018, 01:01 PM
USA Today has an article today stating he does want the job next season.

mparkerfd20
06-15-2018, 01:07 PM
Welp guess we know who our coach next year will be then. *sigh*

Dawg-gone-dawgs
06-15-2018, 01:47 PM

not necessarily true. This is a guy who went from head man to pitching coach. He was thrown into the head coaching role again. I think Jack brings up a valid point.

Political Hack
06-15-2018, 01:59 PM
I have heard rumors that that may be the case.

If he is not selected as head coach, I could definitely see that happening.

RocketDawg
06-15-2018, 02:45 PM

I'd always heard that he didn't want the interim spot, and presumably the permanent head position, but a person can hear anything. But he's what ... 56? That's not exactly dead with old age. He has another good 15 years of coaching in him if he wants it. Saban is 70 or near it, and he's still going strong. And being HC at Alabama football is no doubt more stressful than baseball at any college.

msstatelp1
06-15-2018, 03:06 PM

There's now an SI linked article on the board saying he does also.

Political Hack
06-15-2018, 03:09 PM
I'd always heard that he didn't want the interim spot, and presumably the permanent head position, but a person can hear anything. But he's what ... 56? That's not exactly dead with old age. He has another good 15 years of coaching in him if he wants it. Saban is 70 or near it, and he's still going strong. And being HC at Alabama football is no doubt more stressful than baseball at any college.

Jim at Miami just retired after 20-30 years at the same school. He coached forever. Henderson has plenty left in the tank. That's actually the only thing that worries me. If he gets it and we're a perennial visitor to Omaha but never win it, will they just accept that over the next 10-15 years? That'll be a question for any coach I suppose.

ScoobaDawg
06-15-2018, 03:31 PM

link?

Jack Lambert
06-15-2018, 03:37 PM

To be honest, there is a reason Saban hires every SEC coach who gets let go to be an analysts.

basedog
06-15-2018, 04:06 PM
Good assistants and good players make a good HC, not saying Hendo is the next Coach but it does seem as if he lets his assistants get involved. If he does get the HC job, I bet he turns the pitching over to whomever that Coach would be. Just saying.

RocketDawg
06-15-2018, 05:38 PM
To be honest, there is a reason Saban hires every SEC coach who gets let go to be an analysts.

I know he's not being hired, but my Alabama friends say that it was only about a $35K job. I didn't know there was a job in football that paid that little.

Turfdawg67
06-15-2018, 05:49 PM
Welp guess we know who our coach next year will be then. *sigh*
Sigh... we may actually host a Regional next year on way to the CWS. Woe is us and our sh*tty coach.

Liverpooldawg
06-15-2018, 05:53 PM

Look at the SIarticle I linked in another thread. Evidently what I heard I was wrong. He DOES want the job.

Todd4State
06-15-2018, 06:09 PM
Jim at Miami just retired after 20-30 years at the same school. He coached forever. Henderson has plenty left in the tank. That's actually the only thing that worries me. If he gets it and we're a perennial visitor to Omaha but never win it, will they just accept that over the next 10-15 years? That'll be a question for any coach I suppose.

My biggest fear is he becomes the Ed Orgeron of college baseball if we hired him.

Todd4State
06-15-2018, 06:09 PM
Sigh... we may actually host a Regional next year on way to the CWS. Woe is us and our sh*tty coach.

We should have hosted this year.

Todd4State
06-15-2018, 06:11 PM

The fact that so many are against hiring him tells me that we probably shouldn't hire him.

Liverpooldawg
06-15-2018, 06:48 PM
The fact that so many are against hiring him tells me that we probably shouldn't hire him.

I think you might be wrong there. So many of our vocal internet fans are against it. From what I can tell most of the rest are not.

Todd4State
06-15-2018, 07:20 PM
I think you might be wrong there. So many of our vocal internet fans are against it. From what I can tell most of the rest are not.

The "vocal internet" is a fairly good cross section of our fans and what our fans are thinking.

99jc
06-15-2018, 07:49 PM
The "vocal internet" is a fairly good cross section of our fans and what our fans are thinking.

the NCAA says it has no record of a team with an interim coach advancing to the CWS. if we win it all its a no brainer he will be our next head coach and I don't see how any of you could hate that. He will have done what no other coach in MSU history has done and that's win a National Championship. CASE CLOSED!

West Tn Dawg
06-15-2018, 07:56 PM
What I find funny is ............
If he were at any other school and got thrown in the situation he inherited here and took them to the CWS, everyone on here would be screaming we should be looking at CGH!
I can hear everyone now! Hey look at CGH, he took over a train wreck and guided them to a CWS, he's got to be good!

Activated Alpha
06-15-2018, 08:39 PM
If he were at any other school and got thrown in the situation he inherited here and took them to the CWS, everyone on here would be screaming we should be looking at CGH!
I can hear everyone now! Hey look at CGH, he took over a train wreck and guided them to a CWS, he's got to be good!

That's probably because we wouldn't have watched Henderson make head scratching decisions on a weekend basis.

Todd4State
06-15-2018, 08:57 PM
the NCAA says it has no record of a team with an interim coach advancing to the CWS. if we win it all its a no brainer he will be our next head coach and I don't see how any of you could hate that. He will have done what no other coach in MSU history has done and that's win a National Championship. CASE CLOSED!

He would have done it with players that were recruited by Cohen and Cann for the most part.

If we hired him there's a good chance that he would be "burned out" again in about 3-5 years. There is a HUGE difference between being the interim coach and being the full time head coach. It would be a hire that would set us back about five years.

And remember-

I said on Genespage pre-sixpack that hiring Ron Polk back was a terrible idea. It was.

I said that we should hire Cohen and after a couple of rough years- I ended up being right again.

I was one of the few that had serious concerns about Cann's lack of experience as a head coach- and while it initially looked like a good hire his lack of experience was a big factor in him not being able to control himself.

So, I'm 3-3 so far. Hiring Henderson would be a mistake. I don't care what the media think about us not hiring him. I don't care what the people that don't follow baseball and the Pollyanna's like Liverpool think. If we want to be the program that we all want to be we will not hire Gary Henderson as our head coach.

And if Cohen does hire Henderson- we should absolutely rake him over the coals. I'm not real impressed with how Cohen has handled this thing in particular running his mouth on Bo Bounds about how we're hiring a HOF coach with CWS experience and all of that. But we'll see what Cohen delivers at the end of this thing.

Todd4State
06-15-2018, 08:58 PM

MSU baseball is an absolutely different animal than most baseball programs. We have fans that actually care and know the sport.

Bulldog1
06-15-2018, 09:30 PM
Hiring Henderson would be a mistake. I don't care what the media think about us not hiring him. I don't care what the people that don't follow baseball and the Pollyanna's like Liverpool think. If we want to be the program that we all want to be we will not hire Gary Henderson as our head coach.

I agree with this 100%. I'm pretty sure a few weeks ago not many people were wanting Henderson to be the next head coach- what has changed from then until now? This run to the CWS? That's not enough for me when we have 8 years of Henderson's time as Head Coach at Kentucky to look at. Credit to him for what he's done this year, but he is not the long-term solution for us.

preachermatt83
06-15-2018, 10:20 PM
He would have done it with players that were recruited by Cohen and Cann for the most part.

If we hired him there's a good chance that he would be "burned out" again in about 3-5 years. There is a HUGE difference between being the interim coach and being the full time head coach. It would be a hire that would set us back about five years.

And remember-

I said on Genespage pre-sixpack that hiring Ron Polk back was a terrible idea. It was.

I said that we should hire Cohen and after a couple of rough years- I ended up being right again.

I was one of the few that had serious concerns about Cann's lack of experience as a head coach- and while it initially looked like a good hire his lack of experience was a big factor in him not being able to control himself.

So, I'm 3-3 so far. Hiring Henderson would be a mistake. I don't care what the media think about us not hiring him. I don't care what the people that don't follow baseball and the Pollyanna's like Liverpool think. If we want to be the program that we all want to be we will not hire Gary Henderson as our head coach.

And if Cohen does hire Henderson- we should absolutely rake him over the coals. I'm not real impressed with how Cohen has handled this thing in particular running his mouth on Bo Bounds about how we're hiring a HOF coach with CWS experience and all of that. But we'll see what Cohen delivers at the end of this thing.

Man this is one heck of a post. Great points Todd.

preachermatt83
06-15-2018, 10:21 PM
I agree with this 100%. I'm pretty sure a few weeks ago not many people were wanting Henderson to be the next head coach- what has changed from then until now? This run to the CWS? That's not enough for me when we have 8 years of Henderson's time as Head Coach at Kentucky to look at. Credit to him for what he's done this year, but he is not the long-term solution for us.

Truth

maroonmania
06-15-2018, 10:23 PM

Well that's a different story, if Gary Henderson wins us our long awaited Natty then he can have a lifetime contract as far as I care. I'll just be shocked beyond shocked if we were to actually pull it off though.

preachermatt83
06-15-2018, 10:26 PM
My biggest fear is he becomes the Ed Orgeron of college baseball if we hired him.

I think he?d win in the short term. He?s got GoTro and Mangum to lean on. It?s the long term I worry abt with Henderson. There is no limit to what A real legit top of the line coach would do with next years team tho.

Todd4State
06-15-2018, 10:31 PM
I think he?d win in the short term. He?s got GoTro and Mangum to lean on. It?s the long term I worry abt with Henderson. There is no limit to what A real legit top of the line coach would do with next years team tho.

I agree. Similar to how Polk was able to live off of Maholm, Papelbon, and Tatum for a couple of years.

Schultzy
06-15-2018, 10:43 PM
Recruiting is for the younger coaches anymore. I’d hire Hendo if he wins the Natty for sure but outside of that you gotta go with some young dude.

preachermatt83
06-15-2018, 11:17 PM
I agree. Similar to how Polk was able to live off of Maholm, Papelbon, and Tatum for a couple of years.

Exactly

Cooterpoot
06-16-2018, 08:09 AM
Gary would be the typical baseball hire for us. Someone connected to State with a short shelf life. We’d be doing this hiring thing again in 4 years. I don’t believe Henderson has the vision or energy to do what can be done here. He’s old school and simplistic.
But, that SI piece was a set up for Henderson. There’s a reason so much was told in it.
17 you Canz you sorry sack of shit!

99jc
06-16-2018, 08:33 AM

let me ask you one simple question Todd or any of you. would you sacrifice the next 3-4 years hiring Henderson for the National championship this year? I say YES.

Cooterpoot
06-16-2018, 10:00 AM
How bout we wait and see on that championship. Nobody is arguing he’s not the hire if we win it. That’s a foregone conclusion if he wants to be the HC.

msbulldog
06-16-2018, 12:40 PM
let me ask you one simple question Todd or any of you. would you sacrifice the next 3-4 years hiring Henderson for the National championship this year? I say YES.

You are a 17ing idiot. you Dik!

Todd4State
06-16-2018, 01:57 PM

I'd rather win a National Championship this year and then have many years of championship caliber baseball for years to come without 3-4 down years after the first national championship.

MaroonFlounder
06-16-2018, 03:42 PM
Edited. Previous comments said the same thing. Hendo wants the HC job.