PDA

View Full Version : The Pro-Henderson thread

06-14-2018, 05:57 PM
- Collegiate Baseball Assistant COY in 1996
- SEC COY 2012

Let's back up to 2012. I specifically remember many MSU fans questioning Cohen, and many saying that Henderson was more responsible for Kentucky's success than Cohen. Of course, we all know how emotional fans can be. It was well known that Kentucky was screwed out of hosting a regional in 2012 as well

So, looking at his track record, he had Kentucky as a middling program, rose up in 2012, went back to middling, and apparently had them built back up to another peak, judging by 2017 and 2018 results, but the point is, that's normal, few coaches just rise up overnight, and I think a big piece of the 'Henderson Hate' is that Dan McDonnell is right down the road....well guess what, there aren't but about 4 Dan McDonnells out there, and they are hard to come by

Now let's look at Cohen's track record of assistants - Lane, Butch, Mingione (I guess), all successful. Henderson is in there too, and if Cohen thinks he's a great coach, but I trust his opinion. Cohen picked him up as pitching coach IMMEDIATELY after he was canned at Kentucky

He went to the CWS twice with Florida, must have been doing something right, I think that was under Lopez, and he also coached under Pat Casey at Oregon State in the early years, who was rebuilding a program

Did we all forget the pitching staff he's had to deal with the last two years?

Dude's coached a lot of guys that got drafted.....it seems he has the X/O part of it down, and recruiting is the concern, and yeah, that's a big concern

All I'm saying, is that this guy fits the bill for a guy who's a pretty damn good coach, but hit a rough patch, and may deserve another shot, and he's made the most of his try-out in my opinion

The Federalist Engineer
06-14-2018, 06:18 PM
The problem is leading MSU is more than just game management, in his own words as he resigned the UK job: "being an SEC HC is not just a job, it's a life style"

For us, that's a huge red flag. His competitors are pure competitive men that will relentlessly outwork him in recruiting and in game management.

Ultimately guys like this will only attract beta-personality recruits, he won't have alpha-men like Mangum as future recruits. It's these fireball Cohen men that saved the season.

So we should let GH take his COY back to Southern California and coach Pepperdine or UC Santa Barbara. That's a win win for all

06-14-2018, 06:20 PM
The problem is leading MSU is more than just game management, in his own words as he resigned the UK job: "being an SEC HC is not just a job, it's a life style"

For us, that's a huge red flag. His competitors are pure competitive men that will relentlessly outwork him in recruiting and in game management.

Ultimately guys like this will only attract beta-personality recruits, he won't have alpha-men like Mangum as future recruits. It's these fireball Cohen men that saved the season.

So we should let GH take his COY back to Southern California and coach Pepperdine or UC Santa Barbara. That's a win win for all

All good points

Todd4State
06-14-2018, 06:39 PM
FFFFAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRTTTTTTT TTTTTTTTTTT

Leroy Jenkins
06-14-2018, 07:01 PM
https://i.gifer.com/5zWF.gif

Dolphus Raymond
06-14-2018, 07:06 PM
No doubt that Henderson took over the program at a very difficult time and did a FANTASTIC job. Is he the" est person" for the job? Hell, I don't know, but I do know many worse coaches Cohen could offer the job to. I trust Cohen will do what he feels is best and I will totally support Henderson if he becomes our coach. How is that for straddling the fence?

06-14-2018, 07:09 PM
No doubt that Henderson took over the program at a very difficult time and did a FANTASTIC job. Is he the" est person" for the job? Hell, I don't know, but I do know many worse coaches Cohen could offer the job to. I trust Cohen will do what he feels is best and I will totally support Henderson if he becomes our coach. How is that for straddling the fence?

That's where most of us normal fans are

If he can land a Tim Tadlock, then fine, let's do it, but not an assistant or some lesser guy. I was 100% on the Lane Train before it became apparent that could hire a big name, but I would even keep Hendu before going that route too, you kinda have to

Maybe Hendu coaches a few more years, then we can promote GoTro or hire Lane at that time, after he's got more seasoning

deadheaddawg
06-14-2018, 07:18 PM
Look at these statsabout henderson at Kentucky. If someone try to tell you Henderson is a bad recruiter, immediately ignore everything they said.

Their 13 picks this year are the most in the country.

Their 21 total picks in 2017/18 drafts are the most in the country.

Their12 total Top 10 round picks the past two drafts are the most in the country

Jarius
06-14-2018, 07:25 PM
Look at these statsabout henderson at Kentucky. If someone try to tell you Henderson is a bad recruiter, immediately ignore everything they said.

Their 13 picks this year are the most in the country.

Their 21 total picks in 2017/18 drafts are the most in the country.

Their12 total Top 10 round picks the past two drafts are the most in the country

So what was his problem then? Why would you want someone who can?t even make a regional with all of that talent? He made a regional twice in 8 years. Twice!

msstate7
06-14-2018, 07:40 PM
So what was his problem then? Why would you want someone who can?t even make a regional with all of that talent? He made a regional twice in 8 years. Twice!

He didn't coach Kentucky in 17-18.

Anyone got Kentucky draft pick totals in 2008, 2009, and 2010? I'm interested in how much talent left Kentucky the year Cohen left and how much Henderson had his first 2 years that Cohen left him. The fall after Cohen left is concerning if you're thinking of keeping Henderson. I'd like to know if those first 2 years were on Cohen or Henderson

Goldendawg
06-14-2018, 08:11 PM
I am good with and will support whoever Cohen chooses.......................... as long as it's not Hugh Freeze.******* Go OmaDawgs! Hail State!

Cooterpoot
06-14-2018, 08:52 PM
He’s not getting the job. He could win it all and still won’t.

mparkerfd20
06-14-2018, 09:07 PM
*crickets*

WeWonItAll(Most)
06-14-2018, 09:20 PM
He’s not getting the job. He could win it all and still won’t.

I haven't wanted us to hire Henderson, though I won't be mad about it if it happens at this point. But if we were to win the title this year it would be ridiculous not to hire him.

messageboardsuperhero
06-14-2018, 09:35 PM
My dream scenario:

We win the NC. We give Henderson a significant performance bonus, thank him for his service, send him off right, and help him find a great job somewhere else in coaching. The next day- we announce Tim Tadlock as our new head coach, retain Geatreau, and hire a great pitching coach.

msstate7
06-14-2018, 09:49 PM
My dream scenario:

We win the NC. We give Henderson a significant performance bonus, thank him for his service, send him off right, and help him find a great job somewhere else in coaching. The next day- we announce Tim Tadlock as our new head coach, retain Geatreau, and hire a great pitching coach.

Dream indeed... I think the chances of either happening are very slim. The chance of both are about the same as winning the lottery lol

Turfdawg67
06-15-2018, 12:04 AM
My dream scenario:

Thank the only coach that's ever won a Natty in MSU history and then send him on his way. Are 17'n delusional?

Todd4State
06-15-2018, 12:06 AM
Thank the only coach that's ever won a Natty in MSU history and then send him on his way. Are 17'n delusional?

The only interim coach.

WeWonItAll(Most)
06-15-2018, 07:36 AM
The only interim coach.

Which makes the idea of "sending him off right" after we've won our first ever national championship all the more absurd.

msstate7
06-15-2018, 07:48 AM
Which makes the idea of "sending him off right" after we've won our first ever national championship all the more absurd.

I think some would rather us go 2 and out than win it if that meant we keep Henderson.

Todd4State
06-15-2018, 07:59 AM

The thing is people view coaching jobs like regular jobs. It's different in that they change jobs all the time. It has more to do with who is in charge rather than performance sometimes.

Todd4State
06-15-2018, 08:03 AM
And to add-

Don't forget that Cohen has a lot riding on this hire. If he hired Henderson and got Henderson at Kentucky results even after we won a Narional Title plus maybe have Gautreau slip through his fingers and on top of Cann not working out- that would not look good for Cohen.

That's a big reason why Cohen probably isn't going to hire Henderson. It's too risky for him.

Tbonewannabe
06-15-2018, 08:13 AM

It completely depends on if Henderson actually wants it. We begged Polk to come back and it bit us in the ass. Cohen got Hendo to come out of retirement, that isn't exactly the mindset you want for a head coach in the SEC. I am all for supporting him if Cohen gives him the job especially if he wins the title. However, everything needs to be considered. MacNamee doesn't hit the homer against FSU and no one is saying we have to hire Hendo. I honestly don't know how much credit or blame Hendo gets for coaching moves this season but I would bet Cohen has a good idea. If he thinks Hendo is the right guy then you trust him to make the correct decision for MSU in the long run.

tcdog70
06-15-2018, 08:54 AM
Why not win it all and then figure out WTF we gonna do. JC will make a good decision and I will back the shit out of the HC he picks.

06-15-2018, 11:09 AM
And to add-

Don't forget that Cohen has a lot riding on this hire. If he hired Henderson and got Henderson at Kentucky results even after we won a Narional Title plus maybe have Gautreau slip through his fingers and on top of Cann not working out- that would not look good for Cohen.

That's a big reason why Cohen probably isn't going to hire Henderson. It's too risky for him.

Discontinue posting

06-15-2018, 11:12 AM
My dream scenario:

I hope you realize how ridiculous that sounds

1) The national title is the top spot, the goal, if the guy wins the title, he's our coach, the title will do more for our program than any coach can
2) If we win a national title, no coach in a semi-decent position is going to come here with those expectations, anything he does short of winning the title (which is very very hard, nearly impossible by the odds) will be seen as a failure

I think your dream scenario could only happen if Hendu wins the title, retires, and GoTro is promoted to head coach, that's the only scenario where MSU has a title in hand and is 'Henderson-less' after this season

Thick
06-15-2018, 01:23 PM
I agree with Todd. Cohen?s not hiring Hendo.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
06-15-2018, 01:45 PM
Good points but does he deserve all the credit for this year? The answer is no. Let's be realistic the real reason for our success if Jake Mangum. To me he is the one who coached and led the team this year.

msstate7
06-15-2018, 01:59 PM
Good points but does he deserve all the credit for this year? The answer is no. Let's be realistic the real reason for our success if Jake Mangum. To me he is the one who coached and led the team this year.

Jake Mangum coached the team? Wow

WeWonItAll(Most)
06-15-2018, 02:01 PM

No no no, it was the bananas.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
06-15-2018, 02:15 PM
Jake Mangum coached the team? Wow

He sure as hell is the one who kept the team motivated. I could been made interim coach and made better decisions than Henderson. He gone!

msstate7
06-15-2018, 02:39 PM
He sure as hell is the one who kept the team motivated. I could been made interim coach and made better decisions than Henderson. He gone!

He probably is gone. Perhaps they should hire Mangum... he got em to Omaha

preachermatt83
06-15-2018, 02:47 PM
If Cohen was going to name Henderson HC then why hasn’t he done it already? I think Henderson is a candidate but Cohen will have to be turned down by 2-3 others before offering it to henderson

msstate7
06-15-2018, 03:39 PM
If Cohen was going to name Henderson HC then why hasn’t he done it already? I think Henderson is a candidate but Cohen will have to be turned down by 2-3 others before offering it to henderson

I thought this was always obvious. No one wants Henderson over a big name. The pro-Henderson crowd (I think) wants Henderson once/if we start reaching

06-15-2018, 03:47 PM
I thought this was always obvious. No one wants Henderson over a big name. The pro-Henderson crowd (I think) wants Henderson once/if we start reaching

Of course

The problem is, not many coaches want to come in and follow up a CWS season, because, like I've said before, it's seen as a failure if you can't get back there to that mark, immediately

Dawg-gone-dawgs
06-15-2018, 04:08 PM
He probably is gone. Perhaps they should hire Mangum... he got em to Omaha

He did more than Henderson. You obviously missed the point.

Turfdawg67
06-15-2018, 05:10 PM
He did more than Henderson. You obviously missed the point.

Maybe the point was so silly, it was ignored??

Todd4State
06-15-2018, 06:03 PM
Discontinue posting

Get banned again please.

Todd4State
06-15-2018, 06:05 PM

Most of the "pro-Henderson crowd" seems to be mostly people that admittedly don't follow baseball.