PDA

View Full Version : 2018 World Cup Thread

KOdawg1
06-13-2018, 07:09 PM
Things get underway tomorrow. I thought I wouldn't be as excited since the US isn't involved, but I'm anxious to see how things play out. Will Brazil bounce back after getting embarrassed in 2014? Can Messi capture the one thing he's never accomplished? Also, underdogs like Iceland and Egypt have the opportunity to make some noise.

Who do you guys have winning it all?

I'll go out on a limb and pick Belgium. They're not the most talented, but they're solid all the way around. Plus, I really like Eden Hazard and Thibaut Courtois. Chelsea bias :o

WeWonItAll(Most)
06-13-2018, 08:28 PM
Spain fired their coach today, the day before the World Cup, for agreeing to take the Real Madrid job without telling the Spanish FA. I understand them being mad about not being informed and him seemingly having divided attention going into the tournament, but I don't see how firing him now is a good move.

As for who will win, it wouldn't shock me if the Germans repeat. The restructuring they did to their youth systems in the early 2000s has created a machine. They have about 4 starting 11s that would probably be top 10-15 teams in the world. Of course they can only bring 23 to Russia, and there are plenty of other countries that can also field elite teams.

DudyDawg
06-14-2018, 08:55 AM
Belgium probably is the most talented haha.

My pick is Spain. Think they?ll correct the failures in the euros and the coach situation will galvanize them. Going to be really interested. No real group of death this WC, so I think we will get mostly chalk in the groups and then some really good matchups in the knockout rounds. I?m excited. There are always some unforeseen upsets/breakdowns/drama, and I can?t wait to see how it unfolds.

I think the loser of Spain/Portugal has a real chance of not progressing. Morocco are very talented and can push one of them. That first game is huge for Spain?s chances.

KOdawg1
06-14-2018, 10:11 AM
Belgium probably is the most talented haha.

I think Germany, Spain, and Brazil are all in the top tier in terms of talent. Belgium, France, and Argentina are not quite on that level but still can win it all. France has gotten really good

DudyDawg
06-14-2018, 11:23 AM
Salah fit to start tomorrow..... looks like he was able to get out of that wheelchair/coma Sergio Ramos put him in

KOdawg1
06-14-2018, 11:34 AM
Russia currently beating the crap out of Saudi Arabia 3-0 in the 73rd minute.

Liverpooldawg
06-14-2018, 05:24 PM
Salah fit to start tomorrow..... looks like he was able to get out of that wheelchair/coma Sergio Ramos put him in

Ramos should be banned. That wasn't his first rodeo, it's a BIG part of his game. It wasn't even his only one in that game.

Liverpooldawg
06-14-2018, 05:28 PM
I'll watch a little of it but I'm not a big fan of the international game. My main interest is to see all the Liverpool players get through it injury free.

DudyDawg
06-15-2018, 07:38 AM
Ramos should be banned. That wasn't his first rodeo, it's a BIG part of his game. It wasn't even his only one in that game.

Lolololol

Liverpooldawg
06-15-2018, 10:13 AM

For the recorod, Salah did not play. He was on the bench but they didn't use him even though they lost. That tells you all you need to know about how "fit to start" he was. It was a serious injury and Ramos did it intentionally. I would advise Mr. Ramos against vacationing in Egypt. The Egyptian ultras make the English hooligans look like Boy Scouts.

DudyDawg
06-15-2018, 11:20 AM
For the recorod, Salah did not play. He was on the bench but they didn't use him even though they lost. That tells you all you need to know about how "fit to start" he was. It was a serious injury and Ramos did it intentionally. I would advise Mr. Ramos against vacationing in Egypt. The Egyptian ultras make the English hooligans look like Boy Scouts.

Salah didn?t play bc he is being saved for their other two games. Uruguay is the clear best team in the group, no need to risk him and lose him if he re-injures. If this was a KO game, he would?ve played.

Prove Ramos did it intentionally. He intentionally won the ball. I saw that. Salah intentionally grabbed his arm first. They intentionally tangled legs. Ramos probably intentionally brought him down, like defenders do multiple times every game. Prove to me where he intentionally injured Salahs left shoulder by holding onto to the right that Salah used to grab him. You can?t. Move on. Get over it. Injuries happen. Complaining won?t put a trophy in your cabinet.

Liverpooldawg
06-15-2018, 11:24 AM
Dude, it was a 1-0 game. And 0-0 most of the way. If he could have played, he would have. No way he doesn't come in late on in a 0-0 game if he was fit. You need to face the fact that Ramos hurt him pretty bad and it was deliberate. Ramos is KNOWN for that kind of thing. It's no secret, except evidently to American Real Madrid fans. You prove it wasn't, his record is against him. What he did is a banned judo throw that is intended to injure the opposite arm. That link I gave you from the European judo union spelled it out.

DudyDawg
06-15-2018, 11:37 AM
Dude, it was a 1-0 game. And 0-0 most of the way. If he could have played, he would have. No way he doesn't come in late on in a 0-0 game if he was fit. You need to face the fact that Ramos hurt him pretty bad and it was deliberate. Ramos is KNOWN for that kind of thing. It's no secret, except evidently to American Real Madrid fans. You prove it wasn't, his record is against him. What he did is a banned judo throw that is intended to injure the opposite arm. That link I gave you from the European judo union spelled it out.

So he intentionally injured someone bc he has a poor disciplinary record? I recognize he plays on the line and crosses it. Too much for any Madrid fan. As far as the judo thing, that?s utterly ridiculous. If he could perform a banned judo move, at full sprint, while legally (got the ball) tackling one of the best 3 players in the world, he would be a judo master. Salah grabbed him, they tangled feet, Ramos brought him down. Injury was unfortunate.

As far as this game, no reason to play Salah regardless of situation. They should easily beat both Russia and SA, save Salah for those and guarantee you go through, or risk him vs the groups best team and lose any chance at making a run to quarters if he gets hurt? Easy choice.

DudyDawg
06-15-2018, 01:34 PM
This Spain/Portugal game is outstanding

KOdawg1
06-15-2018, 01:50 PM
This Spain/Portugal game is outstanding

Yes it is

Bully13
06-15-2018, 02:02 PM
Morocco screwed themselves at the end. saw that. My wife says that was a dirty game. 17 Iran. Go PAY ROOOOO!

KOdawg1
06-15-2018, 02:11 PM
Morocco screwed themselves at the end. saw that. My wife says that was a dirty game. 17 Iran. Go PAY ROOOOO!

Yup. Guy from Morocco headed it in his own goal. Both sides were chippy

KOdawg1
06-15-2018, 02:58 PM
Ronaldo with the hat trick gives Portugal a draw with Spain in the 88th minute. What a game.

Liverpooldawg
06-15-2018, 05:38 PM
I am off but I was out running errands and didn't see any of Portugal-Spain. It sounds like I might have missed the game of the Cup. I did watch the Iran game. You have to feel for the Moroccan defender. Hopefully Morraccan fans are more forgiving than Columbian ones.

Bully13
06-16-2018, 09:33 AM
I am off but I was out running errands and didn't see any of Portugal-Spain. It sounds like I might have missed the game of the Cup. I did watch the Iran game. You have to feel for the Moroccan defender. Hopefully Morraccan fans are more forgiving than Columbian ones.

Yep. Our best friends are from Columbia. Ever seen that documentary about it with Pablo Escobar and all the politics mixed in to that deal?

I'm not into soccer but I enjoy my wife's enthusiasm. She couldn't give 2 17's in general about sports unless it's our son's tennis or soccer.

KOdawg1
06-16-2018, 11:47 AM
Iceland continues to shock the world with a draw vs. Argentina. As the announcer said, "Iceland beats Argentina 1-1."

Iceland is really fun to watch, and a lot of their players have jobs outside of football. Their goal-keeper is a film director when he's not playing.

Bully13
06-17-2018, 10:19 AM
My wife who has been glued to the t.v. claims reports are saying the Peruvian fans are the best. what say those who are keeping up with this stuff? is my wife correct here?

Bully13
06-17-2018, 01:25 PM
Damn, did anyone see that Brazillian 1st goal?

KOdawg1
06-17-2018, 01:49 PM
Damn, did anyone see that Brazillian 1st goal?
Yep. They're something else

OneArmSteve
06-25-2018, 03:57 PM
Yep. Our best friends are from Columbia. Ever seen that documentary about it with Pablo Escobar and all the politics mixed in to that deal?

I'm not into soccer but I enjoy my wife's enthusiasm. She couldn't give 2 17's in general about sports unless it's our son's tennis or soccer.

I admittedly know absolutely 0 about soccer, but I read your post and it reminded me of this article I saw the other day that is completely fascinating. A Mexican soccer player is banned from the U.S. due to alleged cartel ties and all the companies associated with the U.S. Therefore, he can not participate the same as his team in many activities including where he eats, sleeps, how he travels, etc.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/18/sports/world-cup/rafa-marquez-treasury-sanctions.html