PDA

View Full Version : USA to host World Cup 2026

The Federalist Engineer
06-13-2018, 04:00 PM
It looked bleak for the US bid, Morocco had the African vote and much of Europe backing their bid - then Trump came in like a MAC Truck

USA wins, hopefully I will live in a host city in 2026

DawgFromOxford
06-13-2018, 06:14 PM
Well we better figure out how to qualify first.

KOdawg1
06-13-2018, 06:36 PM

Hosting countries get an automatic bid. I don't know if that applies in 2026 since there are three host countries, but that's the way it normally is.

The Federalist Engineer
06-13-2018, 06:46 PM

Once USA soccer stops getting players from Suburbia and starts using inner city Latins that play soccer like black folks play basketball they will win the World Cup with ease and own the trophy for generations

Get rid of the hipsters and poseurs - start playing with a few bull necked, beady eyeded Central Americans with MMA ears.

Hondurans are the Spartans of Latin America and the US has a couple of million of them dudes. They would eat Brazilians for breakfast

Tbonewannabe
06-13-2018, 06:46 PM
It looked bleak for the US bid, Morocco had the African vote and much of Europe backing their bid - then Trump came in like a MAC Truck

Not to make this political but people were saying that Trump was an actual detriment. We had an entire continent instead of Morroco being 1 country. We had a lot better bid.

The Federalist Engineer
06-13-2018, 06:48 PM
Hosting countries get an automatic bid. I don't know if that applies in 2026 since there are three host countries, but that's the way it normally is.

USA is auto qualify, Mexico is very probably Auto qualify, Canada sucks and will probably not be Auto Qualify unless they add 4 more teams to the tournament

They are likely increasing to 36 teams, maybe 40

The Federalist Engineer
06-13-2018, 06:55 PM
Not to make this political but people were saying that Trump was an actual detriment. We had an entire continent instead of Morroco being 1 country. We had a lot better bid.

I thought Trump ruined the bid myself, FIFA is not politican friendly. Obama also tried to sell the US for WC, he is just more polished and low profile.

But FIFA voting is a straight democracy, Togo and Burma have vote as equal as Germany and the USA. Morocco had All Africa and the French bloc of the EU.

The USA always has a better bid. Nobody wants to visit Russia to Eat Cabbage and sleep in non-AC hotels, yet Russia won 2018. This is a damned miracle to get the WC in a civilized world region outside of Europe

KOdawg1
06-13-2018, 06:56 PM
Once USA soccer stops getting players from Suburbia and starts using inner city Latins that play soccer like black folks play basketball they will win the World Cup with ease and own the trophy for generations

Get rid of the hipsters and poseurs - start playing with a few bull necked, beady eyeded Central Americans with MMA ears.

Hondurans are the Spartans of Latin America and the US has a couple of million of them dudes. They would eat Brazilians for breakfast

Also, if US soccer could somehow get more participation from African Americans, I believe the sky would be the limit. Easier said than done since football and basketball rule all, but I know a few black guys who are phenomenal at soccer

Liverpooldawg
06-13-2018, 06:57 PM
I thought Trump ruined the bid myself, FIFA is not politican friendly. Obama also tried to sell the US for WC, he is just more polished and low profile.

But FIFA voting is a straight democracy, Togo and Burma have vote as equal as Germany and the USA. Morocco had All Africa and the French bloc of the EU.

The USA always has a better bid. Nobody wants to visit Russia to Eat Cabbage and sleep in non-AC hotels, yet Russia won 2018. This is a damned miracle to get the WC in a civilized nation

Hard to say it was ruined when the bid won.

RocketDawg
06-13-2018, 07:00 PM
Also, if US soccer could somehow get more participation from African Americans, I believe the sky would be the limit. Easier said than done since football and basketball rule all, but I know a few black guys who are phenomenal at soccer

Some years ago, both UAH and Alabama A&M had pretty good soccer teams and had black players but if I recall correctly they were mostly from Nigeria.

RocketDawg
06-13-2018, 07:04 PM

What are the host cities? I have no idea how the World Cup operates.

KOdawg1
06-13-2018, 07:13 PM
btw, I've started a world cup thread over on the bovine scatology board. Head over there and discuss for the next month or so.

The Federalist Engineer
06-13-2018, 07:32 PM
What are the host cities? I have no idea how the World Cup operates.

This list will be slimmed down, but some cities are stone cold locks, Cincinnati, Baltimore and Philly suck so they just better be happy to be on a list that is not America's most filthy places.

United States: Atlanta, Baltimore, Boston, Cincinnati, Dallas, Denver, Houston, Kansas City, Los Angeles, Miami, Nashville, New York/New Jersey, Orlando, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Seattle, Washington D.C.

Canada: Edmonton, Montreal, Toronto

Mexico: Mexico City, Guadalajara, Monterrey

coachnorm
06-13-2018, 09:05 PM

The real focus is money. A point in fact is to look at the ownership of Manchester City and Paris Saint German. Either one of those owners possess the combined wealth of all NFL owners. They do not have salary caps, all they have to do is prove some profit margin in relationship to their investments in football. Big INTERNATIONAL MONEY is probably looking towards America as a good investment choice, when they pull the trigger and compete globally, money will talk and the game will upgrade. Remember Soccer contracts are guaranteed unlike the NFL, money will talk sooner than later. BTW Ronaldo and Beckham did not come from underprivileged backgrounds, they may have been hipsters?

RocketDawg
06-13-2018, 09:25 PM
This list will be slimmed down, but some cities are stone cold locks, Cincinnati, Baltimore and Philly suck so they just better be happy to be on a list that is not America's most filthy places.

United States: Atlanta, Baltimore, Boston, Cincinnati, Dallas, Denver, Houston, Kansas City, Los Angeles, Miami, Nashville, New York/New Jersey, Orlando, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Seattle, Washington D.C.

Canada: Edmonton, Montreal, Toronto

Mexico: Mexico City, Guadalajara, Monterrey

Good point about those three places.

Pretty good list for the rest. I could see places like St. Louis and Minneapolis qualifying though (although St. Louis might be on the "dirtiest" list).

smootness
06-14-2018, 09:13 AM
USA is auto qualify, Mexico is very probably Auto qualify, Canada sucks and will probably not be Auto Qualify unless they add 4 more teams to the tournament

They are likely increasing to 36 teams, maybe 40

They've already agreed to increase the number of teams to 48 by 2026. All 3 hosts will get bids.

As for the issues with US soccer, the #1 issue has been and always will be the lack of an adequate and deep-rooted development system. We've had a pay-to-play system and too much emphasis on things like college soccer and results-focused leagues that actually hinder development.

Look at the way Pulisic went about his development. His dad created a league solely for the purpose of his son's skill development, something that is not really focused on in America, then he went to Europe once he was ready for more extensive training, and he is already the best player we've ever produced. We need an overhaul of the entire system. The focus on the race or makeup of the athletes playing is not the primary issue. We have hundred of millions of people in this country, compared to a place like Belgium that has 11 million and is incredibly good right now. We can easily find the same number of athletes as a country like that, even from the current pool we have right now. We just need a better developmental system in place, one designed for skill development and free play from an early age.

coachnorm
06-14-2018, 10:09 AM
They've already agreed to increase the number of teams to 48 by 2026. All 3 hosts will get bids.

As for the issues with US soccer, the #1 issue has been and always will be the lack of an adequate and deep-rooted development system. We've had a pay-to-play system and too much emphasis on things like college soccer and results-focused leagues that actually hinder development.

Look at the way Pulisic went about his development. His dad created a league solely for the purpose of his son's skill development, something that is not really focused on in America, then he went to Europe once he was ready for more extensive training, and he is already the best player we've ever produced. We need an overhaul of the entire system. The focus on the race or makeup of the athletes playing is not the primary issue. We have hundred of millions of people in this country, compared to a place like Belgium that has 11 million and is incredibly good right now. We can easily find the same number of athletes as a country like that, even from the current pool we have right now. We just need a better developmental system in place, one designed for skill development and free play from an early age.

I agree with smoothness and would like to further support his statement. America needs to know that soccer as a college sport is a no go. It needs to develop in accordance to its rules. I have attached a link to on goings at Liverpool FC. The upper tier international teams branch out globally, take notice of Liverpool branching out to the US. If an American looks like a global commodity, he will be offered free private schooling, food and accommodation, and elite soccer training in Liverpool. I would like to remind fellow elite doggers that Liverpool FC is American owned by "The Fenway Group". This means that American ownership is investing in finding a gem in the States to play in Liverpool? This is why upper tiered players in South America do not play ball in their continent, they are in Europe. BTW, there is no such thing as a draft pick in this enviornment?

https://www.liverpoolfcamerica-bayarea.com/

The Federalist Engineer
06-14-2018, 11:43 AM

Expansion past 16 has always been offensive to soccer purist. There are not 48 national teams worth watching in a single tournament.

Without writing a novel it's always been hilarious to listen to US and sometimes English speak of developing players. The English suck, they suck at development, relative their massive investment in "development" there are almost no English players in the top-5 EPL teams. Liverpool has a couple of role players from the farm but they are just backup singers.

Bottom line is that kids gotta play and the most spectacularly disorganized nation on earth Brazil produces more talent than all Europe combined shows that kids just go to play a lot and then be able to rise into a national league

Brazil's chaotic national league is so chaotic that it does not even truly exist. They have state leagues Paulista, Carioca, and a southern league.

I remember playing against lab rat players with Brazilian free range players- we thought the lab rats were sandbagging, later we determined they just suck.

Germany and Netherlands are the Europeans that actually develop players. They use schools that are 1/2 votech and 1/2 minor league soccer that begin in early-mid childhood

Liverpooldawg
06-14-2018, 12:52 PM
Expansion past 16 has always been offensive to soccer purist. There are not 48 national teams worth watching in a single tournament.

Without writing a novel it's always been hilarious to listen to US and sometimes English speak of developing players. The English suck, they suck at development, relative their massive investment in "development" there are almost no English players in the top-5 EPL teams. Liverpool has a couple of role players from the farm but they are just backup singers.

Bottom line is that kids gotta play and the most spectacularly disorganized nation on earth Brazil produces more talent than all Europe combined shows that kids just go to play a lot and then be able to rise into a national league

Brazil's chaotic national league is so chaotic that it does not even truly exist. They have state leagues Paulista, Carioca, and a southern league.

I remember playing against lab rat players with Brazilian free range players- we thought the lab rats were sandbagging, later we determined they just suck.

Germany and Netherlands are the Europeans that actually develop players. They use schools that are 1/2 votech and 1/2 minor league soccer that begin in early-mid childhood

The bigger clubs in England do the same thing they do in Germany. Liverpool's produced Steven Gerard among others. They let the Acadamy slip a bit under The previous ownership. The new owners and Klopp have turned that around. We have at least a couple of guys that are about to break through to the big club set up. Trent Alexander-Arnold already has. He isn't just a backup.

I agree , bigtime soccer is a pro sport. It's essentially a pro sport from the late grade school level.

smootness
06-14-2018, 01:03 PM

You're basically making my point for me.

Our current development system is working against us. Just rolling a ball out and letting kids figure it out on their own would certainly be better than what we currently have.

Liverpooldawg
06-14-2018, 02:07 PM
You're basically making my point for me.

Our current development system is working against us. Just rolling a ball out and letting kids figure it out on their own would certainly be better than what we currently have.

What hinders the US is two things: 1) soccer is at best the number 5 pro sport in the US. Most US kids do not grow up wanting to be Landon Donavan or whoever his equivalent is now. 2) Basically the only kids who get "developed" here or the ones who can afford to pay thousands for the privilege. American kids who aren't in some "travel" team aren't even going to get looked at, much less "developed". I don't know that that will ever change to be honest. If you want to know what the real level of play is in the American developmental system look no farther than the number of Americans playing in the big 5 leagues in Europe. There just aren't many at all. We really have only one that is anything but a bit player on a lessor club.

Jack Lambert
06-14-2018, 02:16 PM

I think once the US gets rid of American Football and Baseball the US will have the greatest soccer team ever. Complete domination from that point on.

Also I wonder what stadiums are going to have to be renovated and will the US have to help Mexico if they need renovating.

smootness
06-14-2018, 04:00 PM
What hinders the US is two things: 1) soccer is at best the number 5 pro sport in the US. Most US kids do not grow up wanting to be Landon Donavan or whoever his equivalent is now. 2) Basically the only kids who get "developed" here or the ones who can afford to pay thousands for the privilege. American kids who aren't in some "travel" team aren't even going to get looked at, much less "developed". I don't know that that will ever change to be honest. If you want to know what the real level of play is in the American developmental system look no farther than the number of Americans playing in the big 5 leagues in Europe. There just aren't many at all. We really have only one that is anything but a bit player on a lessor club.

And #2 is far more important than #1, IMO. There are enough people in this country that we easily have enough talented people playing soccer to compete with some of the top countries in the world. Spain and Portugal combined have about 1/6 the population of America. We just need better outlets for those who want to play soccer, and at earlier ages.

Tbonewannabe
06-14-2018, 05:02 PM

That was one thing Klinnsman had correct, our guys don't want to go over there when they can play in the MLS and make good money. We have an ego when it comes to sports. Our baseball league plays for the "World" Series. We are used to having the top athletic teams in the United States so it is almost against logic that you would have to go to Europe to play at the top of the sport. MLS is getting bigger so the interest will also help drive athletes into the sport but hopefully we get some guys that can play at the highest level consistently.

Liverpooldawg
06-14-2018, 06:09 PM
And #2 is far more important than #1, IMO. There are enough people in this country that we easily have enough talented people playing soccer to compete with some of the top countries in the world. Spain and Portugal combined have about 1/6 the population of America. We just need better outlets for those who want to play soccer, and at earlier ages.

Agree, I should have said in no particular order.

Liverpooldawg
06-14-2018, 06:13 PM
That was one thing Klinnsman had correct, our guys don't want to go over there when they can play in the MLS and make good money. We have an ego when it comes to sports. Our baseball league plays for the "World" Series. We are used to having the top athletic teams in the United States so it is almost against logic that you would have to go to Europe to play at the top of the sport. MLS is getting bigger so the interest will also help drive athletes into the sport but hopefully we get some guys that can play at the highest level consistently.

MLS helps with interest here, but the level of play isn't that good, With all the expansion what talent there is being more and more diluted. Our guys who play here aren't playing against the best. I really think MLS is at best English League One level. You MIGHT have a few teams who could possibly stay up in the Championship, MAYBE.

The Federalist Engineer
06-14-2018, 08:43 PM
I think once the US gets rid of American Football and Baseball the US will have the greatest soccer team ever. Complete domination from that point on.

Also I wonder what stadiums are going to have to be renovated and will the US have to help Mexico if they need renovating.

I guess there is no telling what American lawyers will ultimately do to the nation, Football is probably the least of our worries in that regard

On the stadium front, this World Cup is set. America has so many big event cities, there should be almost zero infrastructure expense. Even Mexico is solid on stadiums but neo-fascist governments like Brazil and Mexico love to overspend on stadiums to employ and fatten a legion of cronies. Argentina 78 took the cake

The US hosted 1994 without building a single stadium and made great money. Brazil spent billions in 2014, they now have at least 2 stadiums as abandoned ruins. South Africa also has several empty useless stadiums as remnants of 2010

coachnorm
06-14-2018, 08:49 PM
MLS helps with interest here, but the level of play isn't that good, With all the expansion what talent there is being more and more diluted. Our guys who play here aren't playing against the best. I really think MLS is at best English League One level. You MIGHT have a few teams who could possibly stay up in the Championship, MAYBE.

I agree with you and your assessment of soccer here in the states. The bottom line is the wealth of the owners and their investment into their teams. Big International Money drives soccer where ever that money goes. Simply, if "THAT" money is directed to Miami or Los Angeles, the players will follow "THAT" money. Dollars are Dollars whether they are earned playing NFL or MLS. Any way we look at it, baseball viewership is driven by over 40 white males and soccer has stirred the interest of the diverse young population her in the States. Soccer is growing and pro baseball is going the way of us aged graybeards. Soccer is going to get better because the money is coming. BTW "You'll Never Walk Alone", I'm with you.

Todd4State
06-15-2018, 12:50 AM

Well, to be fair the two teams that are in the World Series are probably the two best in the world. They just both happen to be in America- and rarely Canada. MLB teams have played Japanese, Korean, and the Cuban National team and MLB teams have dominated them pretty consistently in a series style set-up.

Todd4State
06-15-2018, 12:54 AM
I agree with you and your assessment of soccer here in the states. The bottom line is the wealth of the owners and their investment into their teams. Big International Money drives soccer where ever that money goes. Simply, if "THAT" money is directed to Miami or Los Angeles, the players will follow "THAT" money. Dollars are Dollars whether they are earned playing NFL or MLS. Any way we look at it, baseball viewership is driven by over 40 white males and soccer has stirred the interest of the diverse young population her in the States. Soccer is growing and pro baseball is going the way of us aged graybeards. Soccer is going to get better because the money is coming. BTW "You'll Never Walk Alone", I'm with you.

MLB is still the second highest attended sport in America behind only the NFL.

Dawg61
06-15-2018, 01:35 AM
Maybe USA should drop off some soccer balls at the walmart on the border that is jailing 1500 boys right now that have nothing to do but watch Moana ten times a day and stare at creepy murals of Trumpster. Five years in there playing soccer all day every day and they'll beat our USAMNT asses.

WeWonItAll(Most)
06-15-2018, 06:46 AM
I guess there is no telling what American lawyers will ultimately do to the nation, Football is probably the least of our worries in that regard

On the stadium front, this World Cup is set. America has so many big event cities, there should be almost zero infrastructure expense. Even Mexico is solid on stadiums but neo-fascist governments like Brazil and Mexico love to overspend on stadiums to employ and fatten a legion of cronies. Argentina 78 took the cake

The US hosted 1994 without building a single stadium and made great money. Brazil spent billions in 2014, they now have at least 2 stadiums as abandoned ruins. South Africa also has several empty useless stadiums as remnants of 2010

This is why I can't believe we got picked over Morocco. The FIFA cronies usually can't resist all the kick-backs, bribes, etc. that come with a country having to build a dozen stadiums and all the infrastructure required to handle the World Cup.

The Federalist Engineer
06-15-2018, 09:37 AM
This is why I can't believe we got picked over Morocco. The FIFA cronies usually can't resist all the kick-backs, bribes, etc. that come with a country having to build a dozen stadiums and all the infrastructure required to handle the World Cup.

Yep, this was a miracle. Infrastructure companies could have soaked Morocco for billions and billions in useless projects. They could have built a Rabat to Casablanca hyperloop and a new hotel with an indoor ski resort - all powered with a brand new solar farm covering the surface area of Connecticut

coachnorm
06-15-2018, 10:07 AM
MLB is still the second highest attended sport in America behind only the NFL.

Baseball needs 162 games to get their numbers. When you watch ESPN highlites, most views show many empty seats. Face it, MLB is on the decline because it is rejected by the diverse under 40 population in America.

The Federalist Engineer
06-15-2018, 11:43 AM
Baseball needs 162 games to get their numbers. When you watch ESPN highlites, most views show many empty seats. Face it, MLB is on the decline because it is rejected by the diverse under 40 population in America.

Baseball will be fine and thrive. Soccer will be fine too, it's a growth economy. Baseball is a summer sport and Soccer is a Fall/Winter sport - PERFECT - for the Latin Male sport fan.

Inside of the diverse U-40 population, the biggest portion is Latin and the fastest growing is Asian. Latin guys love baseball and soccer. Same with Asians. What major American sport has bigger Asian stars than Baseball? What major American sport has Asian Hall-of-Famers other than Baseball.

The only truly non-diverse sport is Basketball, it's 5 black dudes versus 5 black dudes for the most part.

RocketCityDawg
06-15-2018, 11:55 AM

Baseball is the most diverse of the pro sports in the US. To say that it's on the decline because of the diverse under 40 population is a bad take.
For the record, I don't believe baseball is on the decline at all.

coachnorm
06-15-2018, 01:50 PM
Baseball is the most diverse of the pro sports in the US. To say that it's on the decline because of the diverse under 40 population is a bad take.
For the record, I don't believe baseball is on the decline at all.

Diversity is more than racial diversity. If you carefully watch an MLS game and scan the seats, you will notice the vast majority are White and young, they are not Hispanic, Asian, or Black. Diversity is age diversity and gender diversity also. From a National perspective in America, Little League Baseball is a shadow of what it used to be when we were young and that is indisputable. Without a personal experience of baseball, the youth is alienated and that means White Youth also. Because of the personal alienation, the youth can care less about a game never experienced. I do not believe that baseball is going to do fine in the future because when we die off, we will not be replaced. According to national sales of sports attire, youth do not buy baseball attire, they buy everything else? I do not know what baseball can do to fix this.

RocketCityDawg
06-15-2018, 02:01 PM
Diversity is more than racial diversity. If you carefully watch an MLS game and scan the seats, you will notice the vast majority are White and young, they are not Hispanic, Asian, or Black. Diversity is age diversity and gender diversity also. From a National perspective in America, Little League Baseball is a shadow of what it used to be when we were young and that is indisputable. Without a personal experience of baseball, the youth is alienated and that means White Youth also. Because of the personal alienation, the youth can care less about a game never experienced. I do not believe that baseball is going to do fine in the future because when we die off, we will not be replaced. According to national sales of sports attire, youth do not buy baseball attire, they buy everything else? I do not know what baseball can do to fix this.

MLS fans are diverse because they are all young and white? Huh?
Little League Baseball is a shadow of itself because it has been replaced by club/travel teams. Sorry, kids are still playing baseball.

coachnorm
06-15-2018, 03:18 PM
Little League Baseball is a shadow of itself because it has been replaced by club/travel teams. Sorry, kids are still playing baseball.

https://howtheyplay.com/team-sports/Baseball-A-Changing-Landscape

RocketCityDawg
06-15-2018, 03:54 PM
https://howtheyplay.com/team-sports/Baseball-A-Changing-Landscape

Nice try. That's an opinion piece. I can google "Baseball is Thriving" and post a link to an article too, but that would be dumb.

I'm not some anti soccer person that's going to argue with you because I don't like soccer. I'm just telling you that you are wrong in thinking that baseball is going to die when the 40 year olds die. It's just not going to happen.

Liverpooldawg
06-15-2018, 06:00 PM

The club/travel thing is the exact road soccer is on, here. It means that it becomes a niche sport for those that can afford it. That's a BIG reason you see so many latins in MLB now. It's still a street game south of the border.