PDA

View Full Version : From my Grandfather, to my Dad, and now to me

SaintDawg
06-12-2018, 09:11 PM
Just wanted to share this with you all.... story to follow.

https://www.elitedawgs.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3036&stc=1

I wish I could make the photo larger for detail. But the true story behind what this is, is this: My grandfather was an Army officer in WWII. He served under General MacArthur in the intelligence community. He was there during the Philippines Campaign in 1944-1945. He was there surveying damage and gathering intelligence, etc. A Japanese command post had been either bombed or been a target of artillery, I'm not sure. Where in the Philippines this was I'm not sure of either. I think in Leyte. In one of the buildings that had been destroyed was the office of a Japanese general. He had a large 6-leg table in his office that had been destroyed. The one leg of the table that was still completely intact was the one pictured. My grandfather asked a Filipino Lt. to cut the leg off the table and bring it to him. My grandfather knew exactly why he wanted it. All 6 legs of the table had been carved in the same fashion of the same dog but were heavily damaged. Some time later, the Lt. showed up back to my grandfather, handed him the leg of the table and said in Tagalog "buldog". It's carved from solid mahogany, as was made the entire table. My grandfather attended State from 1936-1938 and then moved on to and graduated from Millsaps College in 1940. He kept it until his death in 2009, gave it to my Dad, and my Dad just gave it to me this past weekend. The passion and history of this school runs so deep. I'm proud to have it and wanted to share it with y'all. Hail State.

-Fixed the image to make it larger. Hail State. Love the story - Scooba

WSOPdawg
06-12-2018, 09:16 PM
That's awesome, SaintDawg. I love items like this for their uniqueness and yours even has family history tied to it. Super cool!!!

MarcoRubio
06-12-2018, 09:20 PM
That?s awesome. Better put that thing in a fire safe. I know you?d be sick if it were damaged. I?ll give you $20 for it!

msstatelp1
06-12-2018, 10:04 PM
Great story!

Mjoelner34
06-12-2018, 10:04 PM
Outstanding!!!!

preachermatt83
06-12-2018, 10:50 PM
Awesome!!

Randolph Dupree
06-12-2018, 10:56 PM
Incredible story. Thanks for sharing.

shoeless joe
06-13-2018, 12:14 AM
That's awesome for sure...I'm betting butch's father is glad all he was trying to pass on to his son was just a watch compared to that

Bully13
06-13-2018, 10:35 AM
Damn Saint Dog. Just Damn.

3rdGen
06-13-2018, 10:42 AM
That’s bad ass. My grandfather and father also graduated from State. Hence the handle I chose.

RocketDawg
06-13-2018, 06:56 PM
Very nice. Lots of history there and also some nice carving. I was thinking walnut, but mahogony makes more sense in the Phillipines. Or maybe it originally came from Japan?

SaintDawg
06-13-2018, 07:40 PM
Very nice. Lots of history there and also some nice carving. I was thinking walnut, but mahogony makes more sense in the Phillipines. Or maybe it originally came from Japan?

Im unaware of the source of the wood. I just know it's mahogany. From what I understand, most prized mahogany comes from Central or South America. I
don't know if the tree grows in Asia or not.

RocketDawg
06-13-2018, 08:56 PM
Im unaware of the source of the wood. I just know it's mahogany. From what I understand, most prized mahogany comes from Central or South America. I
don't know if the tree grows in Asia or not.

I don't know either, but I'd guess not. Japan is at about the same latitude as us, so it'd most likely be too cold. According to some sites from googling, there's something called "Phillipine mahogany" that's grown in Indonesia and the Phillipines, but it's not the real thing. So you're no doubt right that your wood is from Central or South America.

ScrotieMcBoogerBalls
06-14-2018, 01:49 PM
That's awesome for sure...I'm betting butch's father is glad all he was trying to pass on to his son was just a watch compared to that

"So he hid it in the one place he knew he could hide somethin'. His ass. Five long years, he wore this watch up his ass. Then when he died of dysentery, he gave me the watch. I hid this uncomfortable hunk of metal up my ass for two years. Then, after seven years, I was sent home to my family. And now, little man, I give the watch to you."

ScoobaDawg
06-14-2018, 02:34 PM
-Fixed the image to make it larger. Hail State. Love the story - Scooba

Dawg-gone-dawgs
06-14-2018, 02:54 PM
WOW this is awesome!! Thanks for sharing!!

SaintDawg
06-14-2018, 03:44 PM
Thanks Scooba!

Littleman
06-14-2018, 04:35 PM
Great story. Bad lookin Dawg.

FISHDAWG
06-15-2018, 07:56 AM
very very cool Saint - love the story behind it