PDA

View Full Version : Really good article on baseball recruiting

Todd4State
06-12-2018, 03:13 AM
It's an LSU article but it shows what everyone is doing nowadays.

https://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2018/06/lsu_baseball_turang_mainieri_c.html#incart_river_i ndex

The Federalist Engineer
06-12-2018, 07:56 AM
"5 Classes at a Time"...."posted Potential Rosters all the way to 2021"

This is why you need coaching continuity and strategic roster management (AKA Jake Gautreau). Some colleges are playing checkers and some are playing chess. Our pitching situation is pure checkers. Last year, no HS juniors, this year no HS freshmen, and we depend on Cole Gordon miracle conversions to pitching.

Seriously, in 2017 we had Andrew Mahoney as the only Jr-Class pitcher recruited as a pitcher from HS. An injured, transfer from JUCO.

BrunswickDawg
06-12-2018, 08:24 AM
Great tidbit buried in the article - Bianco's kid is going to LSU??? What smack in the face to the Bearsharks.

Homedawg
06-12-2018, 08:54 AM
"5 Classes at a Time"...."posted Potential Rosters all the way to 2021"

This is why you need coaching continuity and strategic roster management (AKA Jake Gautreau). Some colleges are playing checkers and some are playing chess. Our pitching situation is pure checkers. Last year, no HS juniors, this year no HS freshmen, and we depend on Cole Gordon miracle conversions to pitching.

Seriously, in 2017 we had Andrew Mahoney as the only Jr-Class pitcher recruited as a pitcher from HS. An injured, transfer from JUCO.

Cole wasn’t a converted pitcher. Butch recruited him as a pitcher. He said from day one that was his best spot. That turned out correct. I agree w the holes w have in class balance is a mess.

DawgFromOxford
06-12-2018, 01:09 PM
Great tidbit buried in the article - Bianco's kid is going to LSU??? What smack in the face to the Bearsharks.

Bianco wanted his boys to go somewhere else. He didn't want them to be the "coach's kid" when playing college ball.

The Federalist Engineer
06-12-2018, 06:52 PM
Cole wasn’t a converted pitcher. Butch recruited him as a pitcher. He said from day one that was his best spot. That turned out correct. I agree w the holes w have in class balance is a mess.

So we had a converted pitcher playing 1b and didn't convert him back to pitcher until he proved he wasn't a hitter? Sounds logical

Homedawg
06-12-2018, 08:21 PM
So we had a converted pitcher playing 1b and didn't convert him back to pitcher until he proved he wasn't a hitter? Sounds logical

You can argue all you want. Butch recruited him as a pitcher. He was a dual guy in hs and had enough pop to keep trying to hit. We finally made him just do one. Because he couldn’t hit. And he never stopped pitching.

BiscuitEater
06-12-2018, 09:01 PM

Bianco fully understands that OM fired Their last Baseball Coach, Harrison, when he played his son over more talented infielders. Caused a team mutiny with one player even transferring to State to play!

shoeless joe
06-12-2018, 09:08 PM

he has another son that is at Louisville. They just wanted to go out on their own to play.

Homedawg
06-12-2018, 09:33 PM
he has another son that is at Louisville. They just wanted to go out on their own to play.

And has another one that?s legit too. THe bastard should be fired for letting him go play for their rival***

Mullendawg72
06-13-2018, 12:43 AM
About Cole... It is my understanding that in High school, Cole was an outstanding pitching prospect as well as a power hitter and was projected to be a fairly high draft pick. During his Junior year, he hurt his arm, and had Tommy Johns surgery. All of the colleges who had been recruiting him disappeared except MSU. Our coaches told him that even if pitching was no longer an option, they still wanted him as a power hitting first baseman. With us so short of pitchers last year, Cole volunteered for mound duty. Henderson worked him out and liked his potential.

Todd4State
06-13-2018, 12:59 AM
Bianco fully understands that OM fired Their last Baseball Coach, Harrison, when he played his son over more talented infielders. Caused a team mutiny with one player even transferring to State to play!

Well, the big problem was Harrison's son not only started over Lotterhos who was an Ole Miss football legacy- he also hit well below the Mendoza line. It was basically Daddy ball at the college level. Of course even worse for them Lotterhos was a good player for us and helped us get to Omaha in 1998.

The truth is most of their fans didn't like Harrison to start with. Even though he was as good or better than Don Kessinger. Harrison left Bianco a pretty decent situation to work with when he got to Ole Miss- which was part of the reason why Bianco was able to win there fairly quickly.

The Federalist Engineer
06-13-2018, 07:24 AM
About Cole... It is my understanding that in High school, Cole was an outstanding pitching prospect as well as a power hitter and was projected to be a fairly high draft pick. During his Junior year, he hurt his arm, and had Tommy Johns surgery. All of the colleges who had been recruiting him disappeared except MSU. Our coaches told him that even if pitching was no longer an option, they still wanted him as a power hitting first baseman. With us so short of pitchers last year, Cole volunteered for mound duty. Henderson worked him out and liked his potential.

This is story I understand to be true, Cole stepped up like a warrior to pitch

Jack Lambert
06-13-2018, 08:41 AM
Les Miles son went to Michigan to play football or somewhere like that. This was while Miles was still LSU head coach. Plus Bianco is a LSU guy and I am sure his family is as well.

BrunswickDawg
06-13-2018, 10:56 AM
Les Miles son went to Michigan to play football or somewhere like that. This was while Miles was still LSU head coach. Plus Bianco is a LSU guy and I am sure his family is as well.

Oh, it's the right thing for the kids to do for certain. I just know how the Sharks think and how if the kids are any good its one more thing they hold against the guy.