PDA

View Full Version : 4 year max

preachermatt83
06-11-2018, 08:45 PM
In your opinions...How much does the 4 year max rule on contracts hurt mississippi schools in hiring coaches

ShotgunDawg
06-11-2018, 08:51 PM
Maybe, but since the 5+ year contacts don't work out 95% of time, it most likely helps us far more than it hurts us. Additionally, it offers us a legitimate excuse with agents & contract negotiations.

Our AD can just say, "Mr Croom, I love you & would give you a 10 year contract if it were up to me, but state law won't allow it."

See how that works?

civildawg
06-11-2018, 09:08 PM
Hurt? It?s a life saver for us. Have you seen the insane contracts that malzahn and jimbo got? They never end well. Sexton would have taken stricklin to the wood shed here if it wasn?t for the four year max probably

Liverpooldawg
06-11-2018, 09:15 PM
In your opinions...How much does the 4 year max rule on contracts hurt mississippi schools in hiring coaches

Maybe Rick Cleaveland can tell his Tulane story. That law has saved us many times.

Cooterpoot
06-11-2018, 10:09 PM
Doesn’t affect anything in the hiring process. $2M is $2M and that contract can automatically be renewed every year to stay at 4 years.

Jack Lambert
06-12-2018, 12:52 PM
Doesn’t affect anything in the hiring process. $2M is $2M and that contract can automatically be renewed every year to stay at 4 years.

I am thinking they can put guarantees into the contract.

Liverpooldawg
06-12-2018, 01:00 PM
I am thinking they can put guarantees into the contract.

Nope. There can be nothing official past 4 years. That was tried and got shot down. You can do a handshake agreement but if the university (i. e. the State) reniggs on it there is nothing the employee can do.

fader2103
06-12-2018, 03:30 PM
It shouldn?t effect us at all. If the AD and lawyers do a good job of just explaining the law to suitable candidates and their representatives then candidates should understandable the contract talks will happen more often which will allow them to renegotiate salaries, incentives and buyouts.