PDA

View Full Version : Skelton and Alexander

Dawgology
06-11-2018, 08:52 AM
I believe in giving credit where credit is due. I was absolutely tearing them apart during inning 1-10. They both had a sloppy super regional. With that being said...they came through in the 11th inning and made huge plays to seal up that win.

I will eat a little bit of crow here. I still believe they had a bad super-regional (hopefully it motivates them) but they never gave up, played through it, and helped MSU win that game during a cluth time.

Hail State. Go Dawgs.

KOdawg1
06-11-2018, 09:02 AM
Alexander had a huge bloop hit to make it 10-6 in the 11th.

Skelton had one of the worst games I think I've ever seen a catcher have at MSU. That being said, he kept playing through it, so something has to be said for that I guess.

msstate7
06-11-2018, 09:04 AM
Luke SR stats...
4/11 (.364)
3 r
2 rbi
2 bb
Obp = .462
1 sac bunt

MetEdDawg
06-11-2018, 09:05 AM
Alexander had a huge bloop hit to make it 10-6 in the 11th.

Skelton had one of the worst games I think I've ever seen a catcher have at MSU. That being said, he kept playing through it, so something has to be said for that I guess.

I'm a tad stunned we didn't PH Gilbert in the 11th. Skelton had an awful game.

BrunswickDawg
06-11-2018, 09:09 AM
As a former catcher, I have something I have been wondering about Skelton. I think he needs to change to a traditional mask instead of the hockey-style mask/helmet. I've worn both, and I always found the hockey style helmet crowded my vision and made it hard to follow the ball all the way into the glove visually - especially on pitches low and off the plate. It's like driving a car with a bad blindspot. The cages on the traditional masks are much more open visually. Either that, or the kid needs glasses.

KOdawg1
06-11-2018, 09:12 AM
I'm a tad stunned we didn't PH Gilbert in the 11th. Skelton had an awful game.

I said after game 2 that Gilbert should play in game 3. Skelton had a pretty good regional in Tallahassee, but he didn't play worth a crap this weekend. Moving on to Omaha, I would alternate Gilbert and Skelton so both stay fresh

basedog
06-11-2018, 09:13 AM
Belmont had a money hit, well done son! Happy for you!

shrimp
06-11-2018, 09:24 AM
Yeah, I thought he had a pretty good SR. His walk in the top of the ninth was beautiful (tough AB) and was key to assuring Mangum got an AB.

Luke SR stats...
4/11 (.364)
3 r
2 rbi
2 bb
Obp = .462
1 sac bunt

parabrave
06-11-2018, 09:25 AM
As a former catcher, I have something I have been wondering about Skelton. I think he needs to change to a traditional mask instead of the hockey-style mask/helmet. I've worn both, and I always found the hockey style helmet crowded my vision and made it hard to follow the ball all the way into the glove visually - especially on pitches low and off the plate. It's like driving a car with a bad blindspot. The cages on the traditional masks are much more open visually. Either that, or the kid needs glasses.

It just isn't Skelton. If you have watched other games than ours this year it seems like every catcher is having trouble with stopping balls in the dirt. A good example was Vandy in game one. It may be the masks or like someone else stated in another thread the dimensions of the glove have changed but it has become a common occurrence. It also seem in skeltons case that he was expecting one pitch and the pitcher threw something else.

JoseBrown
06-11-2018, 10:02 AM

I've noticed with Skelton it's simply fundamental breakdowns I think, particularly in b8 last night for example, a pitch looked like a strike, he flipped his mitt over to his left to catch n frame and he missed, passed ball, ump calls ball, runner advances. What happened was he didn't reach out to the ball too or he'd of been fine. I texted my dad he just got lazy on that one. His elbow didn't clear his knee, he flips mitt left, elbow stops against knee, mitt stopped lateral movement, and stopped his mitt short of securing the catch. Elbow has to clear knees back there.

It's little things with him you'd think he will get worked out in off-season.. When he doesnt block and just reaches for them sometimes. Little things as a former catcher you know you've got to drill and drill and drill.

BrunswickDawg
06-11-2018, 10:35 AM
I've noticed with Skelton it's simply fundamental breakdowns I think, particularly in b8 last night for example, a pitch looked like a strike, he flipped his mitt over to his left to catch n frame and he missed, passed ball, ump calls ball, runner advances. What happened was he didn't reach out to the ball too or he'd of been fine. I texted my dad he just got lazy on that one. His elbow didn't clear his knee, he flips mitt left, elbow stops against knee, mitt stopped lateral movement, and stopped his mitt short of securing the catch. Elbow has to clear knees back there.

It's little things with him you'd think he will get worked out in off-season.. When he doesnt block and just reaches for them sometimes. Little things as a former catcher you know you've got to drill and drill and drill.

I would assume that a lot of the kids catching now aren't "lifers" at the position and just don't have the experience and time put in to have developed those skills.

MetEdDawg
06-11-2018, 11:00 AM
I said after game 2 that Gilbert should play in game 3. Skelton had a pretty good regional in Tallahassee, but he didn't play worth a crap this weekend. Moving on to Omaha, I would alternate Gilbert and Skelton so both stay fresh

I was saying the same. I was stunned Gilbert didn't even get an inning in this series. I thought in the 11th he would for sure PH. I hope he gets some innings in Omaha.

msstate7
06-11-2018, 11:01 AM
I was saying the same. I was stunned Gilbert didn't even get an inning in this series. I thought in the 11th he would for sure PH. I hope he gets some innings in Omaha.

Gilbert has really been struggling the last few weeks after playing well. Makes me wonder if he's dealing with some sort of injury

Bulldog1
06-11-2018, 11:04 AM
Gilbert has really been struggling the last few weeks after playing well. Makes me wonder if he's dealing with some sort of injury

I think I read on SPS last night that Gilbert has a hamstring injury. Don't know about that, though.

msstate7
06-11-2018, 11:08 AM
I think I read on SPS last night that Gilbert has a hamstring injury. Don't know about that, though.

Makes perfect sense

Tbonewannabe
06-11-2018, 11:09 AM

Do we still have an assistant coach that just works with catchers?

BuckyIsAB****
06-11-2018, 11:20 AM
Alexander was pretty good. I just think he needs to be closer to the 2nd base bag in the field but what do I know

BuckyIsAB****
06-11-2018, 11:21 AM
Skelton was pretty shitty and gave them at least 1 run

basedog
06-11-2018, 12:23 PM
I will say this about Skelton, dude can bunt about as well as any Dawg I've seen play.

Tbonewannabe
06-11-2018, 12:27 PM
Skelton also worked some counts yesterday and drew walks. He was also robbed on a hard hit by the 3rd baseman who just made a great play.