PDA

View Full Version : Is Jake Mangum MSU Baseball's Derek Jeter?

ShotgunDawg
06-11-2018, 12:27 AM
Derek Jeter is not & will never be considered the best player in Yankees history, but he's got it & there is probably not another Yankee in history that you would want up in a clutch situation.

Can we consider Jake Mangum the exact same player for MSU baseball?

smootness
06-11-2018, 12:31 AM
I would definitely rather have Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, or Mickey Mantle up in any situation than Derek Jeter.

The Federalist Engineer
06-11-2018, 12:31 AM
Yes he is, he's a Capo De Capos personality- he is going to be a CEO of a big company

Mutt the Hoople
06-11-2018, 12:35 AM
Even when he struck out in extra innings, he still advanced the runner.

confucius say
06-11-2018, 12:43 AM
Yes.

Favorite player in msu baseball history.

msstate7
06-11-2018, 12:45 AM
Yes.

Favorite player in msu baseball history.

Travis Chapman

KOdawg1
06-11-2018, 12:47 AM
By far my favorite player in Mississippi State baseball history. Even over Clark and Raffy. He's tough as nails, never gives up, and gives everything he has to MSU. We're beyond lucky to be able to watch this guy for another year.

BuckyIsAB****
06-11-2018, 01:06 AM
He is the best baseball player I have seen at MSU. And Im mid 20s

The Federalist Engineer
06-11-2018, 01:18 AM
Jake is the all-time Center Fielder for me and in my personal top-5

Surpassed greats like Jody Hurst, Robson, and Bradford

Ari Gold
06-11-2018, 01:22 AM
There is only one El Capitan’.. Der-ek Je-ter...

Jake Mangum is one of the greatest College baseball players of all time. College. He may never be a pro, but kid as an IT factor in college that’s for damn sure.

TopDawg
06-11-2018, 01:25 AM
I'm 71 and he is the best all around center fielder in MSU history.

basedog
06-11-2018, 01:32 AM
Dude probably has a chance to be a helluva baseball coach if he chooses that profession!

Todd4State
06-11-2018, 01:52 AM
Jake is the kind of player that LSU seems to have when they win it all or go really deep like last year.

Heck- Ole Miss intentionally walked him and he still managed to kick their ass. That was impressive.

Todd4State
06-11-2018, 01:54 AM

I agree. I don't see how he can't be to be honest with you. He has a very legit chance to become the SEC's all time hits leader and he is a plus defender with a plus arm for the collegiate level.

The Federalist Engineer
06-11-2018, 02:10 AM

He passes Jody Hurst for me last year, he was my top CF until Jake

bostondawg
06-11-2018, 09:05 AM
I agree. I don't see how he can't be to be honest with you. He has a very legit chance to become the SEC's all time hits leader and he is a plus defender with a plus arm for the collegiate level.

I was interested in this. Records here: http://a.espncdn.com/SEC/media/2016/SEC%20Baseball%20records.pdf

SEC all-time hits leader is Eddy Furniss with 352.

According to D1 baseball, Jake had 84, 90, 92 hits these past three years (not sure if that's counting the postseason of this year): https://d1baseball.com/player/aeZg0vpv/jake-mangum/

Dawgbite
06-11-2018, 09:17 AM
He is MSU Baseball's Dak Prescott. He is a winner.

basedog
06-11-2018, 09:24 AM
#15 Wearing this number seems to have a legacy!

louisvilledawg
06-11-2018, 09:43 AM
Derek Jeter is not & will never be considered the best player in Yankees history, but he's got it & there is probably not another Yankee in history that you would want up in a clutch situation.

Can we consider Jake Mangum the exact same player for MSU baseball?

No, Mangum is not our Derek Jeter, mostly because Jake isn't an overrated player on really good teams. He's been a great player on some pretty good teams.

dawgday166
06-11-2018, 09:53 AM
No, Mangum is not our Derek Jeter, mostly because Jake isn't an overrated player on really good teams. He's been a great player on some pretty good teams.

Are you saying Derek Jeter is/was overrated?

smootness
06-11-2018, 10:28 AM

He was.

Now, he was a very good player, no doubt. But great? Eh. I'll go with borderline great because of his longevity. But he was only truly great 2-3 years of his career.

louisvilledawg
06-11-2018, 10:31 AM

https://media.giphy.com/media/PS7d4tm1Hq6Sk/giphy.gif

msstate7
06-11-2018, 10:31 AM

Where have you been?

Chipper > jeter

dawgday166
06-11-2018, 10:50 AM
Where have you been?

Chipper > jeter

I read occasionally. Then someone posts something like Derek Jeter was overrated

Without Derek Jeter they don't win all those WS in 90's and 00's. He was an incredible clutch player. SMDH

ETA: BTW, I love Chipper and maybe regular season you might have a point but postseason ... I'll take Jeter.

msstate7
06-11-2018, 10:55 AM
I read occasionally. Then someone posts something like Derek Jeter was overrated

Without Derek Jeter they don't win all those WS in 90's and 00's. He was an incredible clutch player. SMDH

Jeter was really good hitter... not so much defensively. I'd take ARod over jeter during their time frame

smootness
06-11-2018, 10:59 AM

ETA: BTW, I love Chipper and maybe regular season you might have a point but postseason ... I'll take Jeter.

Chipper's postseason OPS is 26 points higher than Jeter's.

Tbonewannabe
06-11-2018, 11:01 AM
Mariano Rivera's cutter > Derek Jeter. It helps when you have a lead going into the 8th inning and you ALWAYS win.

Edit to add: Yes, I realize it wasn't always but it damn sure was close. Best closer in the history of baseball.

smootness
06-11-2018, 11:27 AM
Mariano Rivera's cutter > Derek Jeter. It helps when you have a lead going into the 8th inning and you ALWAYS win.

Edit to add: Yes, I realize it wasn't always but it damn sure was close. Best closer in the history of baseball.

And in 96, Rivera was their freaking set-up man.

dawgday166
06-11-2018, 01:21 PM
Jeter was really good hitter... not so much defensively. I'd take ARod over jeter during their time frame

I hate the Yankees but, Jeter deserves his due IMO.

5 Gold Gloves. Check out the SS that have more than him. I believe all are HOFs on glove alone.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derek_Jeter#Defense

ARod - 2 GG.
Chipper - 0.

There's a reason he was called Mr. Clutch and Mr. November. I still remember that 22 pitch or so AB against Maddux. Or that great behind 3b catch going into the stands. ARod doesn't do those things. Nor does Chipper ... and I love Chipper now.

Tbonewannabe
06-11-2018, 02:02 PM
I hate the Yankees but, Jeter deserves his due IMO.

5 Gold Gloves. Check out the SS that have more than him. I believe all are HOFs on glove alone.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derek_Jeter#Defense

ARod - 2 GG.
Chipper - 0.

There's a reason he was called Mr. Clutch and Mr. November. I still remember that 22 pitch or so AB against Maddux. Or that great behind 3b catch going into the stands. ARod doesn't do those things. Nor does Chipper ... and I love Chipper now.

He got a couple of those on reputation. He was a very good defensive shortstop but people complaining about Luke's range would say a lot of similar things about Jeter. I read an article once talking about defensive war and oddly enough ARod had better range and a better arm but Jeter played SS because he didn't want to play anywhere else.

smootness
06-11-2018, 02:12 PM
He got a couple of those on reputation. He was a very good defensive shortstop but people complaining about Luke's range would say a lot of similar things about Jeter. I read an article once talking about defensive war and oddly enough ARod had better range and a better arm but Jeter played SS because he didn't want to play anywhere else.

No he wasn't. He was below-average, sometimes by a lot.

dawgday166
06-11-2018, 02:33 PM
Well guys .. you're not going to change my mind and I can tell I ain't changing y'all's either.

msstate7
06-11-2018, 02:41 PM
Well guys .. you're not going to change my mind and I can tell I ain't changing y'all's either.

We could keep trying.. much more fun that way

Tbonewannabe
06-11-2018, 02:45 PM
No he wasn't. He was below-average, sometimes by a lot.

He didn't make a lot of errors but he didn't have good range. I know sometimes the Gold Glove is almost a popularity contest. I might not should have said "very". He was a good shortstop but as much as anything, he was a good clutch hitter. He honestly kind or reminds me of Raffy on his stats. He probably wasn't ever the best at his position but was top 2-4 for a decade or longer. Consistency piled up some Hall of Fame stats.

Of course now Jeter is destroying the Marlins so he was obviously a better SS than front office guy. He might just be in it for the money though.

Tbonewannabe
06-11-2018, 02:47 PM

Jeter isn't even in the same zip code as someone like Andrelton Simmons.

msstate7
06-11-2018, 02:49 PM
Jeter isn't even in the same zip code as someone like Andrelton Simmons.

To be fair, that zip code has like a population of like no one

dawgday166
06-11-2018, 02:52 PM
We could keep trying.. much more fun that way

Lol ... Sorry, gotta work.

dawgday166
06-11-2018, 03:26 PM
To be fair, that zip code has like a population of like no one

The Wizard?? Or you talking hitting too?

msstate7
06-11-2018, 03:32 PM
The Wizard?? Or you talking hitting too?

Ozzie Smith definitely is in that zip code