PDA

View Full Version : Vandy Game 3 Starter

confucius say
06-10-2018, 01:44 PM
Are they throwing Hickman? That's what I've heard.

8-2, 5.25 era,
15 appearances-12 starts
70.1 innings, 65 strikeouts, 1.32 whip
Teams hit .252 against him

msstate7
06-10-2018, 01:47 PM
In his last 4 starts, he has thrown 18 ip and given up 19 er = 9.50 era

In JB's last 4 starts, he has thrown 16.2 ip and given up 12 er = 6.67 era

Expect some runs

confucius say
06-10-2018, 01:51 PM
In his last 4 starts, he has thrown 18 ip and given up 19 er = 9.50 era

Dayum. Is that bad?

And if anybody has JB numbers, throw them up for comparison.

msstate7
06-10-2018, 01:52 PM
Dayum. Is that bad?

And if anybody has JB numbers, throw them up for comparison.

Edited above post to throw JB's last 4 starts. Forgive me for being lazy and not looking up complete stat lines

I seen it dawg
06-10-2018, 01:55 PM
Are they throwing Hickman? That's what I've heard.

8-2, 5.25 era,
15 appearances-12 starts
70.1 innings, 65 strikeouts, 1.32 whip
Teams hit .252 against him

You just make sure the pre game dump gets out. We will worry about the pitching. Let's go!

confucius say
06-10-2018, 01:56 PM
Edited above post to throw JB's last 4 starts. Forgive me for being lazy and not looking up complete stat lines

JB has had some good postseason starts with our season on the line. Let's hope for one more.

MarketingBully
06-10-2018, 01:58 PM
Fifth year senior vs freshman.

confucius say
06-10-2018, 01:58 PM
You just make sure the pre game dump gets out. We will worry about the pitching. Let's go!

On it. Hail state.

Dawg61
06-10-2018, 01:59 PM
Just get us thru 4 innings with 2 or less runs JB. Denver, France, Gordon and Self can finish it.

The Federalist Engineer
06-10-2018, 02:02 PM
This is the season, if JB starts, I would have the bullpen ready in the 1st.

I would hate to start the game 0-6 because of JB Head-issues

MetEdDawg
06-10-2018, 02:03 PM
Just get us thru 4 innings with 2 or less runs JB. Denver, France, Gordon and Self can finish it.

I would love for Billingsley to get us 5 or 6 with 3-4 runs or less. I'm just not sure we can count on more than one guy out of the bullpen having it. Need to find who's got it and ride them. If it's France stay with him. If it's Cole stay with him. If we have to bring in Self for multiple innings do it.

CadaverDawg
06-10-2018, 02:09 PM
This is the season, if JB starts, I would have the bullpen ready in the 1st.

I would hate to start the game 0-6 because of JB Head-issues

That's been one of my big issues. With Omaha on the line, we didn't have any guys loose in the late innings. You have got to at least have your best guys loose, bc you are playing for it all, or today our backs are against the wall. Every pitcher we have should be ready and loose starting in inning 1 tonight...there is no tomorrow

MetEdDawg
06-10-2018, 02:20 PM
That's been one of my big issues. With Omaha on the line, we didn't have any guys loose in the late innings. You have got to at least have your best guys loose, bc you are playing for it all, or today our backs are against the wall. Every pitcher we have should be ready and loose starting in inning 1 tonight...there is no tomorrow

You do realize that by getting someone loose and ready to go in the 1st inning and then letting them sit for 2 hours is not good correct? Don't you think everyone would do that if it were smart?

If you've never coached pitchers before it's hard to understand the throwing arm. You can't just keep throwing guys and get them "more loose". You have to be careful with guys arms if you want them to be effective. We aren't going to run France, Self, and Gordon out to the bullpen and have them throwing the whole inning just in case. Literally no one does that.

CadaverDawg
06-10-2018, 02:23 PM
You do realize that by getting someone loose and ready to go in the 1st inning and then letting them sit for 2 hours is not good correct? Don't you think everyone would do that if it were smart?

If you've never coached pitchers before it's hard to understand the throwing arm. You can't just keep throwing guys and get them "more loose". You have to be careful with guys arms if you want them to be effective. We aren't going to run France, Self, and Gordon out to the bullpen and have them throwing the whole inning just in case. Literally no one does that.

I WAS a pitcher. And I didn't say have them throwing pitches down there...I said get "loose". In other words, Self not sitting with his feet propped up with Omaha on the line in the 8th inning with a 3-2 lead. He should have been working a band, tossing, and sitting anxiously awaiting and on go for the call to start throwing pitches at full strength.

Hell, when I pitched we did it ourselves...if our starter was getting up in pitch count or got a guy on base, we'd start tossing and stretching and getting prepared, just in case.

MetEdDawg
06-10-2018, 02:28 PM
I WAS a pitcher. And I didn't say have them throwing pitches down there...I said get "loose". In other words, Self not sitting with his feet propped up with Omaha on the line in the 8th inning with a 3-2 lead. He should have been working a band, tossing, and sitting anxiously awaiting and on go for the call to start throwing pitches at full strength.

Now I agree with what you are saying regarding Self. If Gordon was unavailable have him coach 1B. But it sounded like you wanted them throwing. I still don't agree with having 3 guys get loose. Two of them are going to have to sit and their arms will cool down. I understand picking one guy. If it's Cole have him on bands and stretched out. Same with France. But not all 3.

MarketingBully
06-10-2018, 02:30 PM

There’s no reason in hell why Self shouldn’t have gotten loose in the seventh to be ready to go in the eighth. We had Denver warming up in the eighth. That’s how dumb Henderson’s bullpen decisions were yesterday. Neff should have gotten his four outs and Self should have gone in the eighth inning. That’s what you do!!! We have used Neff as a matchup pitcher the whole year and in the most important game of our season we are using him as a long reliever and want him to get 12 outs. That’s not fair to Neff and also not fair to Self. If Hendo put Self in in the eighth inning and we lose, you tip your hat and say that’s baseball but you still go down knowing you pitched your best when the season and Omaha are on the line.

maroonmania
06-10-2018, 02:58 PM
JB has had some good postseason starts with our season on the line. Let's hope for one more.

My real concern with JB against Vandy is that they are very patient at the plate and JB doesn't exactly fill up the strike zone. I could see them having a lot of baserunners via the walk especially if we have an ump with a tight strike zone. JB is more effective against free swinging clubs.

MetEdDawg
06-10-2018, 03:01 PM
There’s no reason in hell why Self shouldn’t have gotten loose in the seventh to be ready to go in the eighth. We had Denver warming up in the eighth. That’s how dumb Henderson’s bullpen decisions were yesterday. Neff should have gotten his four outs and Self should have gone in the eighth inning. That’s what you do!!! We have used Neff as a matchup pitcher the whole year and in the most important game of our season we are using him as a long reliever and want him to get 12 outs. That’s not fair to Neff and also not fair to Self. If Hendo put Self in in the eighth inning and we lose, you tip your hat and say that’s baseball but you still go down knowing you pitched your best when the season and Omaha are on the line.

100% agreed on that. There's nothing I've said that would suggest otherwise. Neff got thrown into a crap situation and Self should have been ready.

All I'm saying is we don't need to go crazy today. We don't need Self ready in the 1st. We probably don't need France ready either. But we do need to be smarter about having our guys in the bullpen prepared to enter the game later. I would prefer to not see Self or Gordon coaching 1B today.

Commercecomet24
06-10-2018, 03:01 PM
JB does get roughed up sometimes but he's been clutch in post season. Last year at usm and last week while he gave up some runs, was a gutty performance, ate innings and put us in a position to win. Without the misplay at ss last week his numbers would've been much better. I think billingsley is one of those guys that likes this kinda game. I believe he's gonna give us a good start(crossed fingers).

Pit Bull
06-10-2018, 03:25 PM

They can just stretch, have trainers massage their arms, and throw lightly just to keep the motion in tact. Don't throw hard until it is evident somebody has to go in soon. Vandy can run the score out of reach in about 5-10 minutes.

MetEdDawg
06-10-2018, 03:28 PM
They can just stretch, have trainers massage their arms, and throw lightly just to keep the motion in tact. Don't throw hard until it is evident somebody has to go in soon. Vandy can run the score out of reach in about 5-10 minutes.

Again I'm totally fine with that. But when Cadaver made his original post I thought he meant have them ready to go. Now that we've got that cleared up I still don't think we need but 1-2 ready. Self isn't coming in until probably best case scenario 7th. But more likely 8th and 9th. So the only 2 I really care about being mentally and physically game ready for the first 5-6 innings are France and Cole.

confucius say
06-10-2018, 03:35 PM
Self needs to come in whenever the game is in the balance. He could come in during the 4th or 5th if need be. He can give you 60 pitches today easily.

MetEdDawg
06-10-2018, 03:43 PM
Self needs to come in whenever the game is in the balance. He could come in during the 4th or 5th if need be. He can give you 60 pitches today easily.

I personally don't want Self going through this Vandy lineup twice. He's good but he's basically got a cutter and that's mostly what he throws. I don't want he hitters in this Vandy lineup getting two looks at that.

France is different. He's got a power FB and a breaking ball that when working is an out pitch. He's got stuff that can go through a lineup twice. I don't think Self does.

Gordon is about like France. When he's running his FB 90-92 he's got stuff to go through a lineup twice. His FB isn't as good as France but his breaking ball is better.

Bulldog1
06-10-2018, 04:16 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DfW5BaiUYAA_b67?format=jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DfW8nRXWAAE7SVK?format=jpg