PDA

View Full Version : Awesome troll thread on tRant about Georgia bulldogs

msstate7
06-10-2018, 10:15 AM
https://www.secrant.com/rant/sec-football/counterfeit-u-an-in-depth-look-at-franklin-college/77143937/

These type of threads are what makes tRant great. Haha

BrunswickDawg
06-10-2018, 10:38 AM
Just to clarify - Georgia was not a penal colony. James Oglethorpe did recruit people for the colony who were recently released from debtors prison looking for a an opportunity to start over but Georgia wasn't Devils Island for England or some such colony. However, UGA fans are such dicks I understand how the author could have confused penus and penal as a discription of early Georgia history.

Other than that, spot on.

Dawg Tired
06-10-2018, 12:30 PM
Just to clarify - Georgia was not a penal colony. James Oglethorpe did recruit people for the colony who were recently released from debtors prison looking for a an opportunity to start over but Georgia wasn't Devils Island for England or some such colony. However, UGA fans are such dicks I understand how the author could have confused penus and penal as a discription of early Georgia history.

Other than that, spot on.

I?m not sure if it?s true or not, but I was taught in high school and college history classes that Georgia was a penal colony.

BrunswickDawg
06-10-2018, 01:31 PM
I?m not sure if it?s true or not, but I was taught in high school and college history classes that Georgia was a penal colony.
Yeah, it is one of those things that is taught and even comes up still in some text books - but it's not true. People have always equated Oglethorpes recruiting from debtors prisons to mean people were sentenced to go to Ga and that the colony started as a prison. It wasn't. The colony was actually established as a philanthropic venture, with the intent of providing a clean slate for whomever wanted to come to the colony. It was also the first British colony in America to have not been a business venture whose first duty was to provide materials and income to the crown.

Sorry - my MA was with an emphais on Colonial Georgia History, so I rant sometimes.

Dawg Tired
06-10-2018, 02:07 PM
Sorry - my MA was with an emphais on Colonial Georgia History, so I rant sometimes.

Well, thank you for the explanation. It?s shocking how often history is skewed.