PDA

View Full Version : Vanderbilt bullpen

Dawg61
06-10-2018, 01:18 AM
during all of regionals vs St. Johns, Clemson twice and now vs us twice Vanderbilt's bullpen has given up 2 runs total over 20 innings. Both those runs were on MacNamee's HR. We need Billingsley to throw the game of his life tomorrow.

msstate7
06-10-2018, 01:27 AM
On the bright side, Hickman in his last 4 starts = 19 er in 18 ip

Dawg61
06-10-2018, 01:31 AM
On the bright side, Hickman in his last 4 starts = 19 er in 18 ip

I'll take 19 er tomorrow from him. Might need that many.

Pit Bull
06-10-2018, 02:29 AM
This is where Vandy starts racking up the big runs like they did on Clemson.....get into your 3rd, 4th, & 5th pitchers and just have an absolute batting practice session. Pretty much clear I suppose that everybody knows it's all on Billingsley. Not much else we can do. We have pitchers.....just not enough of the kind to shut down a powerful VU battery. I think we may need to score at least 15 to have a chance. Hope I'm wrong.

Maroonthirteen
06-10-2018, 06:53 AM
Those three guys that pitched in relief for Vandy last night were throwing gas. I don’t know if y’all could tell on tv. However It was heat!!!! One dude hit 97-98 more than a few times.

maroonmania
06-10-2018, 07:46 AM
What we saw last night was the result of Vandy having the number 1 recruiting class 2 of the last 3 years in college baseball. Their bullpen has big arm after big arm all throwing mid upper 90s. Vandy has ways to get those guys to school, most of the rest of the SEC, including us, do not.

Bdawg
06-10-2018, 07:54 AM
What we saw last night was the result of Vandy having the number 1 recruiting class 2 of the last 3 years in college baseball. Their bullpen has big arm after big arm all throwing mid upper 90s. Vandy has ways to get those guys to school, most of the rest of the SEC, including us, do not.

Was thinking the same thing. How does Vandy get those guys to stay? Anybody know where they were drafted out of high school? We could have some guys like that if you get JT Ginn to school somehow. I can only assume they weren't 1st rounders though like Ginn. Man I hate the MLB draft. Wish kids just had to go at least 3 years no matter what. Makes me wonder how good our teams could really be.

ShotgunDawg
06-10-2018, 08:03 AM

What you saw last night was Vandy's scholarship situation up close and personal.

No other team has that type of depth, because no other team has the scholarship ability to have relievers on 100% scholarship.

the_real_MSU_is_us
06-10-2018, 08:06 AM
Ok guys calm down, even if JB doesn't have "the game of his life", France, Gordon, and Self are all capable of giving us 3-4 shutout innings. If JB can give us 4 UP and 2 ER, France can give 3 with 1-2 runs, and Self can give 2 scoreless, we've got the game won.

We have no idea which France or Gordon will show up though. As long as one shows up and we pull the other before the damage gets to bad, we'd be fine. Only need JB to give us a few

Bdawg
06-10-2018, 08:26 AM
What you saw last night was Vandy's scholarship situation up close and personal.

No other team has that type of depth, because no other team has the scholarship ability to have relievers on 100% scholarship.

Such a big advantage that makes absolutely no sense. If the NCAA wants a level playing field between schools, this should be one of the first things looked at. Somebody tell me again why baseball gets so few scholarships?

confucius say
06-10-2018, 08:41 AM
Can somebody explain the process how Vandy has such a scholarship advantage? I'm guessing they do receive at least some federal funding, thereby making them subject to Title 9.

ShotgunDawg
06-10-2018, 08:41 AM
Such a big advantage that makes absolutely no sense. If the NCAA wants a level playing field between schools, this should be one of the first things looked at. Somebody tell me again why baseball gets so few scholarships?

It's pretty simple why baseball gets so few scholarships.

1. Most NCAA baseball programs are small and those schools out vote the bigger schools on this issue.

2. Secondly and most importantly, Title 9. With football giving males 85 scholarships, all other male sports must sacrifice in order to balance out the male scholarship situation with females. No female sport has anything close to 85 scholarships like football, and that why softball gets 15 full schollys and baseball only has 11.7

Cooterpoot
06-10-2018, 08:43 AM
Ok guys calm down, even if JB doesn't have "the game of his life", France, Gordon, and Self are all capable of giving us 3-4 shutout innings. If JB can give us 4 UP and 2 ER, France can give 3 with 1-2 runs, and Self can give 2 scoreless, we've got the game won.

We have no idea which France or Gordon will show up though. As long as one shows up and we pull the other before the damage gets to bad, we'd be fine. Only need JB to give us a few

You seem to be forgetting we extended France and Gordon Friday. After a short rest and a lot of pitches Sunday and Monday. No way they’re sharp. France was terrible Friday. Gary SMH.

confucius say
06-10-2018, 08:45 AM
You seem to be forgetting we extended France and Gordon Friday. After a short rest and a lot of pitches Sunday and Monday. No way they’re sharp. France was terrible Friday. Gary SMH.

If that's the case, Vandy has used their 4 best bullpen arms and extended 2 of them more than we extended France and Gordon.

I seen it dawg
06-10-2018, 08:47 AM
If we only get 3 off their shitbag starter like last night we got no chance. We have to wake up offensively today. We've got guys taking at bats off and that can't happen this stage of the year and win. This game won't be on pitching today it's gonna be on our offense to put at bats together.

ShotgunDawg
06-10-2018, 08:47 AM
Can somebody explain the process how Vandy has such a scholarship advantage?

Sure.

- Vandy is a private school with need based scholarship.

- Minorities can attend for free if admitted.
- This is the biggy: if your family income is less that 110K, you can attend for free.

So what does Vandy do?

They recruit the heck out of good players across the country who meet one of these 2 categories. It allows them to build most of their roster with no scholarship money and earmark the 11.7 only for beating another in recruiting. So if they are in a recruiting battle with Ole Miss and Ole Miss offers 75%, Vandy offers 80%. If OM then counters with 85%, Vandy offers 90%. You simply can't beat them on the recruiting trail because they have more reserved scholarship money than you do.

06-10-2018, 08:51 AM
Gotta score early, you'll know if the game is over after the 4th inning

msstate7
06-10-2018, 08:53 AM
Gotta score early, you'll know if the game is over after the 4th inning

I remember us scoring late Friday

confucius say
06-10-2018, 08:59 AM
Sure.

- This is the biggy: if your family income is less that 110K, you can attend for free.

So what does Vandy do?

They recruit the heck out of good players across the country who meet one of these 2 categories. It allows them to build most of their roster with no scholarship money and earmark the 11.7 only for beating another in recruiting. So if they are in a recruiting battle with Ole Miss and Ole Miss offers 75%, Vandy offers 80%. If OM then counters with 85%, Vandy offers 90%. You simply can't beat them on the recruiting trail because they have more reserved scholarship money than you do.

Are there any title 9 implications here?

basedog
06-10-2018, 09:04 AM
If we only get 3 off their shitbag starter like last night we got no chance. We have to wake up offensively today. We've got guys taking at bats off and that can't happen this stage of the year and win. This game won't be on pitching today it's gonna be on our offense to put at bats together.

Totally agree, we had some bad luck last night with two balls hit up the middle and bounced off their pitcher, cost us two runs for sure.

Great game to watch, I'd say it's fitting how the game ended and we play to advance today or go home to see who our new coach will be in a few days or maybe a week.

This team want quit nor will Vandy, should be another exciting finish!

Oh how I hate that turf, such a dump for a so call Sec baseball stadium!

06-10-2018, 09:08 AM
Sure.

So what does Vandy do?

Funny to me that Corbin was the first guy to figure this out there. I suspect there are some other strings attached, just like in football, where the athletes have to meet certain academic requirements that are more stringent

ShotgunDawg
06-10-2018, 09:51 AM
Are there any title 9 implications here?

No because the same rules apply to the general student population

ShotgunDawg
06-10-2018, 09:54 AM
Funny to me that Corbin was the first guy to figure this out there. I suspect there are some other strings attached, just like in football, where the athletes have to meet certain academic requirements that are more stringent

Sure, I'm not sure when they started need based scholarships though.

For example: In Miami's baseball heyday, they had the same system but then took it away. That's why Miami's program is just average now.

dickiedawg
06-10-2018, 10:01 AM
We scored more early on Friday.

Tbonewannabe
06-10-2018, 10:26 AM
Totally agree, we had some bad luck last night with two balls hit up the middle and bounced off their pitcher, cost us two runs for sure.

Great game to watch, I'd say it's fitting how the game ended and we play to advance today or go home to see who our new coach will be in a few days or maybe a week.

This team want quit nor will Vandy, should be another exciting finish!

Oh how I hate that turf, such a dump for a so call Sec baseball stadium!

The turf is an abomination to baseball. That shit should only be used where grass is hard to keep up like up north or in the desert. Also their outfield is not connected to the grandstand so the bathrooms and concessions use the basketball stadium. I am not kidding when I say that the bathroom was 90-100 degrees. Absolutely no air flow. It made the concession area feel like air conditioning. It was embarrassing that a SEC school has that kind of facilities.

confucius say
06-10-2018, 10:29 AM

Well title 9 would dictate that females get the same amount of need based scholarship money. I'm sure Vandy sees to that though.

Dawg61
06-10-2018, 11:10 AM
Well title 9 would dictate that females get the same amount of need based scholarship money. I'm sure Vandy sees to that though.

Does Vandy have extra women's sports that we don't have? Maybe MSU needs to figure out how to copy Vandy's system somehow by being creative instead of just whining about it being unfair. We could create a women's beach volleyball team and that'd add 10 more scholarships or so to the women's side.

Really Clark?
06-10-2018, 11:21 AM
Does Vandy have extra women's sports that we don't have? Maybe MSU needs to figure out how to copy Vandy's system somehow by being creative instead of just whining about it being unfair. We could create a women's beach volleyball team and that'd add 10 more scholarships or so to the women's side.

Vandy doesn?t play softball but have lacrosse, swimming, bowling and soccer. They don?t have men?s soccer which helps on numbers

MetEdDawg
06-10-2018, 11:40 AM
To me this is why the academic side of stuff is so important to what we do. We will never be Vanderbilt, but you know kids will stay at a school because of the name. A Vandy degree looks really good and if you are getting it for free, that crap is worth something. So when you can offer kids a full scholarship to one of the premiere universities in the southeast, you can keep those guys more easily.

Vandy clearly has more talent than us right now. But we have a hell of a lot more heart. We have overachieved and I'm happy with how we've fought to make this season worth a damn.

maroonmania
06-10-2018, 12:23 PM

It would seem like if you meet Vandy's academic standards for admission (which are quite high) to get a need based scholarship then you would also be getting an academic free ride at MSU as well because full ride scholarships at MSU are pretty close to where Vandy starts their admissions. Is Vandy allowed to lower academic standards for athletes? I obviously know that a Vandy diploma is prestigious so that is an advantage in and of itself.

msstate7
06-11-2018, 11:21 AM
during all of regionals vs St. Johns, Clemson twice and now vs us twice Vanderbilt's bullpen has given up 2 runs total over 20 innings. Both those runs were on MacNamee's HR. We need Billingsley to throw the game of his life tomorrow.

They finished with a crash... 7 ip 8 er

Dawg61
06-11-2018, 11:26 AM
They finished with a crash... 7 ip 8 er

Haha 7 of those runs came in the last 3 innings

msstate7
06-11-2018, 11:27 AM
Haha 7 of those runs came in the last 3 innings

Thus, finished with a crash

smootness
06-11-2018, 11:29 AM
It would seem like if you meet Vandy's academic standards for admission (which are quite high) to get a need based scholarship then you would also be getting an academic free ride at MSU as well because full ride scholarships at MSU are pretty close to where Vandy starts their admissions. Is Vandy allowed to lower academic standards for athletes? I obviously know that a Vandy diploma is prestigious so that is an advantage in and of itself.

Of course they have lower standards for athletes. Everyone does.

Cooterpoot
06-11-2018, 11:35 AM
Our bats were hotter than their bullpen arms. We ripped their best guy. At this point, I don't know if anybody can shut us down. I think we're that confident at the plate.