PDA

View Full Version : Henderson

preachermatt83
06-10-2018, 12:52 AM
Henderson does not deserve to be the HC of miss state. Even if we win the whole thing. He makes too many bone headed decisions. Tonight's loss was 100 percent on him.

msstate7
06-10-2018, 12:55 AM
Our hitters say hold by beer... we had 2 hits the last 5 innings, and K'd with runner on 3rd and 1 out. This loss was a team loss from top down

preachermatt83
06-10-2018, 12:57 AM
Our hitters say hold by beer... we had 2 hits the last 5 innings, and K'd with runner on 3rd and 1 out. This loss was a team loss from top down

They were throwing MLB guys at us. We pitch self we win. End of story.

msstate7
06-10-2018, 01:00 AM

And if Jake doesn't get picked off in the first, or if Allen puts a ball in play...

Oh and y'all have really ran with all vandy relievers are mlb ready. Here's the era of the relievers tonight...

Good arms, yes. Unhittable, no

MarketingBully
06-10-2018, 01:08 AM

So what you’re saying is our pen shouldn’t hold a one run lead in the later innings even though we have one of the best middle reliever closers in the SEC. Henderson’s mistake was thinking Neff could get us 12 outs when he’s mainly been a matchup guy all year. We had a 3-2 lead in the eighth. 99% of coaches go to their closer right there. We have the only idiot 1% head coach who thinks a matchup guy can get you four innings. Truth is, you got that one out in the eighth and you had a great time to go out and get Neff with his confidence beaming and retired five straight batters. That triple was off a righty. Self would have ate him alive. You play to win the game there and you bring Self in with five outs to get to Omaha. Period. His coaching decisions have always perplexed me and tonight was no different.

Todd4State
06-10-2018, 01:09 AM
I think our success is much more on our players and Gautreau than it is Henderson. Our pitching staff is ranked like 11th in the SEC and I don't think very many of our pitchers have progressed under him.

We've had a good run this year and keeping Henderson would be the "nice" thing to do.

But the reality is we are better off with someone else as our head coach. He hasn't recruited very many of our current pitchers and even if we did make him the coach with Gautreau as coach in waiting- his age and our weird coaching set-up would be used against us in recruiting. I think it also increases the odds that Gautreau would go somewhere else to be a head coach. Tulane has been pretty bad the past two years. Texas got burned in football with Will Muschamp as the coach in waiting so it's not unheard of.

preachermatt83
06-10-2018, 01:11 AM
So what you’re saying is our pen shouldn’t hold a one run lead in the later innings even though we have one of the best middle reliever closers in the SEC. Henderson’s mistake was thinking Neff could get us 12 outs when he’s mainly been a matchup guy all year. We had a 3-2 lead in the eighth. 99% of coaches go to their closer right there. We have the only idiot 1% head coach who thinks a matchup guy can get you four innings. Truth is, you got that one out in the eighth and you had a great time to go out and get Neff with his confidence beaming and retired five straight batters. That triple was off a righty. Self would have ate him alive. You play to win the game there and you bring Self in with five outs to get to Omaha. Period. His coaching decisions have always perplexed me and tonight was no different.
Truth

Todd4State
06-10-2018, 01:11 AM

His thinking I can almost guarantee you was that he wanted to save Self for game three if we needed him. It's basically what he has done all year. He basically gambled and lost.

He was going to bring in McQuary before Self tonight too- based off of who was up in the bullpen.

preachermatt83
06-10-2018, 01:12 AM
I think our success is much more on our players and Gautreau than it is Henderson. Our pitching staff is ranked like 11th in the SEC and I don't think very many of our pitchers have progressed under him.

We've had a good run this year and keeping Henderson would be the "nice" thing to do.

But the reality is we are better off with someone else as our head coach. He hasn't recruited very many of our current pitchers and even if we did make him the coach with Gautreau as coach in waiting- his age and our weird coaching set-up would be used against us in recruiting. I think it also increases the odds that Gautreau would go somewhere else to be a head coach. Tulane has been pretty bad the past two years. Texas got burned in football with Will Muschamp as the coach in waiting so it's not unheard of.

Agreed

MarketingBully
06-10-2018, 01:15 AM
His thinking I can almost guarantee you was that he wanted to save Self for game three if we needed him. It's basically what he has done all year. He basically gambled and lost.

He was going to bring in McQuary before Self tonight too- based off of who was up in the bullpen.

He just needs to go. He’s a washed up old man who got lucky because our hitters have essentially been covering for him during this run. If we play this straight up instead of dumb ass shifts and we bring in our closer in the eighth, we are celebrating going to Omaha and win this game 3-1.

Todd4State
06-10-2018, 01:20 AM
He just needs to go. He’s a washed up old man who got lucky because our hitters have essentially been covering for him during this run. If we play this straight up instead of dumb ass shifts and we bring in our closer in the eighth, we are celebrating going to Omaha and win this game 3-1.

Not just during this run- how about the entire year?

My rough estimate is Henderson alone has cost us 5-10 wins this year.

MarketingBully
06-10-2018, 01:33 AM

That’s an extremely conservative estimate. I think my last tally including this game was 12.

Dawg61
06-10-2018, 01:37 AM
That’s an extremely conservative estimate. I think my last tally including this game was 12.

You're such a dickhead when we lose a game. Sleep it off and let's win tomorrow.

MarketingBully
06-10-2018, 01:40 AM
You're such a dickhead when we lose a game. Sleep it off and let's win tomorrow.

This loss was a direct result of Henderson’s decisions with the bullpen period. I don’t see how that’s even debatable.

Dawg61
06-10-2018, 01:48 AM
This loss was a direct result of Henderson’s decisions with the bullpen period. I don’t see how that’s even debatable.

There's like twenty pages of bitching in the game thread over it already. Sometimes there's a thing called too much whining.

Pit Bull
06-10-2018, 02:22 AM
Henderson does not deserve to be the HC of miss state. Even if we win the whole thing. He makes too many bone headed decisions. Tonight's loss was 100 percent on him.

LOL. Period.

Leroy Jenkins
06-10-2018, 06:34 AM
His thinking I can almost guarantee you was that he wanted to save Self for game three if we needed him. .

He has said as much before, I believe it was vs OU. Something along the lines of "we are trying to win a series not a game". That sounds fine and all, but if the game is there you gotta take it.

Cooterpoot
06-10-2018, 07:00 AM
Cohen knows he can’t hire Gary. Gary played for game three instead of playing to win game 2. He did the same thing vs OK basically. Said Self couldn’t get that many outs. Then, next time he gets that many. Our pitching sucks. Yet, Gary decided Billingsley is a better option in game 3 than Self is for 5 outs. No way we win today. Billingsley won’t last 4 innings. Then, you’re throw France who he burned Friday and Self. Gordon too. He burned him Friday. We went all in Friday then gave up on Saturday.

maroonmania
06-10-2018, 07:24 AM
And if Jake doesn't get picked off in the first, or if Allen puts a ball in play...

Oh and y'all have really ran with all vandy relievers are mlb ready. Here's the era of the relievers tonight...

I love Jake but as I've said many times he is a terrible base runner. He's like a cowboy out on the bases and makes a lot of foolish outs. Gets picked off a lot and gets thrown out a lot. I actually missed the early part of the game but not surprised he cost us an out on the bases.

Bdawg
06-10-2018, 07:28 AM
Solid statement. +1

Bdawg
06-10-2018, 07:31 AM

Well to be fair, I think he got McQuary up when they tied it. No need going to self then. It was too late.

Cooterpoot
06-10-2018, 08:19 AM
Well to be fair, I think he got McQuary up when they tied it. No need going to self then. It was too late.

McQ was already up before they tied it. Self was sitting.

Bdawg
06-10-2018, 08:29 AM
McQ was already up before they tied it. Self was sitting.

Ok. I thought the tv only showed him getting up after they tied it.

I seen it dawg
06-10-2018, 09:01 AM
I've railed Henderson as much as anyone but we lost the game in the first 4 innings when we only got 3 runs. Raby was absolute trash last night and we just slept walked on offense. I get Self not coming in was bad but our offense lost that game in the first hour.

basedog
06-10-2018, 09:10 AM
Neff was dealing last night, he threw one bad pitch, gotta give the credit to the hitter for taking advantage.

Two exciting games and tonight should be the third.

Not sure which team feels the pressure the most tonight but I do think we may have a slight advantage on pressure cause it's been this way all year long.

preachermatt83
06-10-2018, 10:04 AM

I did the math on this. It's been 7 games.

tcdog70
06-10-2018, 10:21 AM
I did the math on this. It's been 7 games.

Well thanks for that. I now feel all warm and fuzzy. Some of y'all are just over the top. And,you are the King.

Liverpooldawg
06-10-2018, 10:23 AM

If he wins it all then his decisions were not boneheaded, by definition. Listen to yourself.

Leroy Jenkins
06-10-2018, 10:25 AM
If he wins it all then his decisions were not boneheaded, by definition. Listen to yourself.

You are really too emotionally invested to see that we have been winning in spite of Henderson, not because of Henderson.

tcdog70
06-10-2018, 10:27 AM
I've railed Henderson as much as anyone but we lost the game in the first 4 innings when we only got 3 runs. Raby was absolute trash last night and we just slept walked on offense. I get Self not coming in was bad but our offense lost that game in the first hour.

We think Self would have shut them down but we don't know for sure. You are correct our offense lost this game. We would have scored another run if the ball doesn't hit the pitcher and go straight to the SS. Tanner failed to come through. Blaming Henderson for every loss but not giving him an ounce of credit for the wins is just stupid. Baseball is a weird game, line drives are caught and bloopers fall for hits, sometimes luck is huge and it is no ones fault.

tcdog70
06-10-2018, 10:30 AM

Bullshit once again

msstate7
06-10-2018, 10:30 AM
We think Self would have shut them down but we don't know for sure. You are correct our offense lost this game. We would have scored another run if the ball doesn't hit the pitcher and go straight to the SS. Tanner failed to come through. Blaming Henderson for every loss but not giving him an ounce of credit for the wins is just stupid. Baseball is a weird game, line drives are caught and bloopers fall for hits, sometimes luck is huge and it is no ones fault.

Every win = thank you, Gautreau
Every loss = thank you, Henderson

It really is crazy

tcdog70
06-10-2018, 10:32 AM

Right somebody has been hitting them. Luke did ok, when Luke is our offense, then someone is not doing their job/.

Leroy Jenkins
06-10-2018, 10:33 AM

It really is crazy

Well, it can be "crazy" and true; they are not mutually exclusive qualifiers.

Bulldog1
06-10-2018, 10:37 AM
I'm far from a Henderson fan but last night was not on him IMO.

msstate7
06-10-2018, 10:39 AM
Well, it can be "crazy" and true; they are not mutually exclusive qualifiers.

No one has won a SR game yet with less than 4 runs. We are the only team to lose a SR game and only give up 4 runs.

Liverpooldawg
06-10-2018, 11:01 AM
You are really too emotionally invested to see that we have been winning in spite of Henderson, not because of Henderson.

That's hilarious. I'm not emotionally invested in baseball at all. I Didn't even watch the end of the game. In fact I haven't watched a whole game in the whole tourny. It's just college baseball. If he wins it all he is the next coach. If he wins tonight he is in all probability the next coach. He may already be. If you look at it objectively without any prejudices, he has done a heck of a job. I don't care one way or another but that's my opinion. It's worth the paper I wrote it on.

MaroonFlounder
06-10-2018, 11:05 AM
We had 2 hot shots up the middle that ricocheted off the pitcher right to the shortstop.

That was 2 runs.

Henderson is not at fault.

Dawg61
06-10-2018, 11:17 AM
James wasn't sharp last night. Looked nervous. He let 2 runs in one that was credited to him. Maybe we should of gone to Neff instead of James and then went to Denver. Idk it's over with now. Hopefully Vandy spent a little bit of their bullpen mojo last night. ERAs of the bullpen say Vandy can't keep this bullpen magic going much longer. 20 straight innings with only 2 runs allowed is ridiculous. Their bullpen collectively is closer to a 4 ERA not 1.

basedog
06-10-2018, 11:51 AM
James wasn't sharp last night. Looked nervous. He let 2 runs in one that was credited to him. Maybe we should of gone to Neff instead of James and then went to Denver. Idk it's over with now. Hopefully Vandy spent a little bit of their bullpen mojo last night. ERAs of the bullpen say Vandy can't keep this bullpen magic going much longer. 20 straight innings with only 2 runs allowed is ridiculous. Their bullpen collectively is closer to a 4 ERA not 1.

Not only that but seeing their relivers may help today.

Should be a fun game tonight. Two evenly matched teams.

basedog
06-10-2018, 11:52 AM

It really is crazy

+1 And for me to give you a rep for stating the truth is amazing! LOL

Leroy Jenkins
06-10-2018, 11:55 AM
I haven't watched a whole game in the whole tourny.

That explains it. Your presupposition is that the ends are a result of the means. We have overcome Gary so far, not succeed because of him. Carry on.

Dawg61
06-10-2018, 12:07 PM
Y'all can blame Henderson but his disposition and personality are a big reason for this team rising up and getting to where they are right now. It's not an ideal system for long term but I do believe Henderson kinda sitting back thus empowering players like Mangum,MacNamee and Self to take this team by the horns and lead them is why we are still playing baseball. It's no secret Henderson immediately went to Mangum and basically told him he needs him to lead the team. This redirection of leadership has helped the team thrive. It's a one year plan but it's exactly the one year plan we needed to survive this season. Henderson gets a ton of credit for where we are right now. Y'all just don't want to give it to him which is crappy imo. Henderson was the perfect guy to get us out of the deep shithole Cann put us in after 3 games. That doesn't mean I want him to be HC after this year as I don't but I am very thankful we had him to coach this year's team.

basedog
06-10-2018, 12:15 PM
If folks aren't enjoying this season well they just can't be helped especially if we pull it out today.

That game last night was what college baseball is all about, I know after reading ED many aren't happy, good thing about baseball right now, we got another day to get it done! This team ain't gonna quit that's for sure!

That's Baseball!

WeWonItAll(Most)
06-10-2018, 12:16 PM
If Henderson brought Self in to start the 8th and we lost y'all would have bitched about how he tried to stretch Self too far after throwing a decent amount of pitches in game 1.

Also with regards to the OP: if we somehow won the title this year, Henderson would have more national titles in one year at State than Schloss, McDonnell and Tadlock in about 35 combined years at their respective schools.

Bdawg
06-10-2018, 12:25 PM
Y'all can blame Henderson but his disposition and personality are a big reason for this team rising up and getting to where they are right now. It's not an ideal system for long term but I do believe Henderson kinda sitting back thus empowering players like Mangum,MacNamee and Self to take this team by the horns and lead them is why we are still playing baseball. It's no secret Henderson immediately went to Mangum and basically told him he needs him to lead the team. This redirection of leadership has helped the team thrive. It's a one year plan but it's exactly the one year plan we needed to survive this season. Henderson gets a ton of credit for where we are right now. Y'all just don't want to give it to him which is crappy imo. Henderson was the perfect guy to get us out of the deep shithole Cann put us in after 3 games. That doesn't mean I want him to be HC after this year as I don't but I am very thankful we had him to coach this year's team.

I think most of us feel this way. I am grateful for having him on staff to calm the waters of Cann. I think his personality fit well in this situation. But his demeanor has nothing to do with his in game decisions and how some of us feel about his future with our program. Based on what I've seen, I want no part of Henderson in our future. A fired KY coach turned interim at MSU, who also makes bad in game decisions, is the not what this program needs next year and beyond. And it sure as heck doesn't sound like what Cohen is going after. But eventhough I don't want Henderson here next, it doesn't mean I'm not grateful for how he got us through the Cann situation.

Bdawg
06-10-2018, 12:32 PM
If Henderson brought Self in to start the 8th and we lost y'all would have bitched about how he tried to stretch Self too far after throwing a decent amount of pitches in game 1.

Also with regards to the OP: if we somehow won the title this year, Henderson would have more national titles in one year at State than Schloss, McDonnell and Tadlock in about 35 combined years at their respective schools.

Your wrong about Self. He was our best opportunity to win the game and the series at that moment. I would have thought Henderson was going for the win and would have praised him. Hopefully we get it done today

Percho
06-10-2018, 12:34 PM
If folks aren't enjoying this season well they just can't be helped especially if we pull it out today.

That game last night was what college baseball is all about, I know after reading ED many aren't happy, good thing about baseball right now, we got another day to get it done! This team ain't gonna quit that's for sure!

That's Baseball!

Amen.

opportunity, knocks!

Leroy Jenkins
06-10-2018, 12:35 PM
I dont understand why people cant divorce the two issues of us winning and Henderson coaching. The correlation does not equal causation.

https://es.akilayoga.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/7/2017/08/correlation-is-not-causation.jpg

or

https://qph.fs.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-49e16c971cd124101ea1cef89f7591cb.webp

or

http://tylervigen.com/images/spurious-correlations-share.png

Imagine what we could be with a competent coach.

maroonmania
06-10-2018, 12:38 PM

No, I don't believe that for one second. Had we brought in Self for 2 innings to close out the most important game of the year and it didn't work out then it just wasn't meant to be. Nobody would complain about that. On the other hand, to extend Neff not only into the 8th but also the 9th was a huge risk that backfired. Heck, the last time Neff even pitched was back in the 20-10 meltdown and he only went 1.1 innings there with poor results. We just better hope that saving Self for today actually means something. If Vandy jumps all over Billingsley and gets out to a big lead it likely won't mean crap.

Bdawg
06-10-2018, 12:40 PM

That's Baseball!

Oh I'm definately enjoying it! It's been a wild ride. I can separate the coach talk and what we are accomplishing as a team. Your right, no quit in this team!!! Go dawgs

MarketingBully
06-10-2018, 12:55 PM
It goes like this. When he feels like he?s coaching for the season, he makes the reasonable bullpen decisions or what a normal coach would make. When he feels like he has more room for error, he makes dumb ass perplexing decisions ie the LSU game in the SEC tournament, the first Oklahoma game, and the game last night. I have no doubt that since he?s coaching for the season tonight that he will make the right moves tonight.

Liverpooldawg
06-10-2018, 01:02 PM
That explains it. Your presupposition is that the ends are a result of the means. We have overcome Gary so far, not succeed because of him. Carry on.

The results and the improvement since the start of the season speak for themselves. It IS about results you know.

Dawg61
06-10-2018, 01:06 PM
It goes like this. When he feels like he?s coaching for the season, he makes the reasonable bullpen decisions or what a normal coach would make. When he feels like he has more room for error, he makes dumb ass perplexing decisions ie the LSU game in the SEC tournament, the first Oklahoma game, and the game last night. I have no doubt that since he?s coaching for the season tonight that he will make the right moves tonight.

It shouldn't be a secret we wanted no part of playing long into the SECT weekend. Look where Ole Miss and LSU are right now. Henderson's decisions vs LSU in the SECT should not be looked at as a negative. We wanted the rest.

Leroy Jenkins
The results and the improvement since the start of the season speak for themselves. It IS about results you know.

No matter what I say, you are going to hear what you want..... We agree it is about results, and Im saying Gary has negatively impacted the results thus far. Why are we satisfied with still being alive in a series we should have wrapped up?

maroonmania

I believe you are correct. My fear is though that he was actually coaching for the season last night and didn't realize it.

Dawg61
06-10-2018, 01:08 PM
No matter what I say, you are going to hear what you want..... We agree it is about results, and Im saying Gary has negatively impacted the results thus far. Why are we satisfied with still being alive in a regional we should have wrapped up?

Liverpool is a coach hoarder. He wanted to keep Stansbury, Croom, Ray and blow Mullen for 6 months after he left.

Leroy Jenkins
06-10-2018, 01:10 PM

Agree...

He does not go for the kill because he is too risk averse to what could happen if we fail.

LC Dawg
06-10-2018, 01:11 PM
I have no problem with someone saying Henderson shouldn't be the coach next year because I think most will agree he's not the man for the job. I do, however, think harping on it and starting multiple threads about it is silly and petty.
My biggest issue is not giving any credit to Henderson for this year and blaming everything that goes wrong on him and saying everything that goes right happens in spite of him. The man deserves some credit. Giving him some credit for this year doesn't mean you think he should get the permanent job.

Leroy Jenkins
06-10-2018, 01:20 PM
I have no problem with someone saying Henderson shouldn't be the coach next year because I think most will agree he's not the man for the job. I do, however, think harping on it and starting multiple threads about it is silly and petty.
My biggest issue is not giving any credit to Henderson for this year and blaming everything that goes wrong on him and saying everything that goes right happens in spite of him. The man deserves some credit. Giving him some credit for this year doesn't mean you think he should get the permanent job.

Sounds reasonable.

https://media.giphy.com/media/lGmKzynHWftFm/giphy.gif

basedog
06-10-2018, 01:22 PM
Henderson want be our coach next year, the search hasn't stopped.

I just hope we clutch hit and Billingsly is on today. Billingsly, him being a senior may really motivate him.

It's pretty fitting how this series has gone, playing for another chance to advance.

Anytime we play in a Super Region is a big plus, and a young team growing up.

confucius say
06-10-2018, 01:27 PM
Liverpool is a coach hoarder. He wanted to keep Stansbury, Croom, Ray and blow Mullen for 6 months after he left.

Before my time, but there surely is no way anybody on here wanted to keep Croom or Ray. Surely not.

Liverpooldawg
06-10-2018, 01:48 PM
No matter what I say, you are going to hear what you want..... We agree it is about results, and Im saying Gary has negatively impacted the results thus far. Why are we satisfied with still being alive in a series we should have wrapped up?

And you have made up your mind about him results be damned. I really don't care one way or another but looking rationally at the results over the season, the evidence is pretty clear.

Liverpooldawg
06-10-2018, 01:50 PM

Dude nobody in their right mind wanted to keep Croom and Ray. I'm laughing at you as usual 61.

Liverpooldawg
06-10-2018, 01:51 PM
Before my time, but there surely is no way anybody on here wanted to keep Croom or Ray. Surely not.

Nobody did. It's just 61.

CadaverDawg
06-10-2018, 02:06 PM
And you have made up your mind about him results be damned. I really don't care one way or another but looking rationally at the results over the season, the evidence is pretty clear.

You admitted you don't watch the games....so your opinion means nothing. Why are you even commenting? People are talking coaching decisions, you've seen none of them, yet feel the need to interject? No. Everyone should 100% ignore your thoughts on this subject bc they are uneducated and based on nothing. Sorry, you've got your opinions, we'll that's mine.

Dawg61
06-10-2018, 02:19 PM
You admitted you don't watch the games....so your opinion means nothing. Why are you even commenting? People are talking coaching decisions, you've seen none of them, yet feel the need to interject? No. Everyone should 100% ignore your thoughts on this subject bc they are uneducated and based on nothing. Sorry, you've got your opinions, we'll that's mine.

https://media.giphy.com/media/3oFzmkkwfOGlzZ0gxi/giphy.gif

MarketingBully
06-10-2018, 02:33 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/3oFzmkkwfOGlzZ0gxi/giphy.gif

Lol love the Breaking Bad reference and the sentiment is deserved.

Liverpooldawg
06-10-2018, 03:46 PM

I didn't say I didn't watch. There is that reading comprehension thing. Again....where we were vs where we are speaks for itself. I realize that isn't a fact that most here want to recognize....but it is fact none the less. If he wins tonight if you don't give it to him.......it will turn some heads. I'm not emotionally involved with this so I bring no baggage or preconceived notions to my opinions here. As I've said before......I don't care who we hire. We just need to get behind whoever it is.

I seen it dawg
06-10-2018, 03:48 PM
Nobody even knows whether he wants to do it. Cohen had to talk him into not retiring when he hired him to begin with.

Liverpooldawg
06-10-2018, 03:53 PM
Nobody even knows whether he wants to do it. Cohen had to talk him into not retiring when he hired him to begin with.

This is true. That would solve a lot of problems if so. Some of our more vocal......fans.......wouldn't get behindHenderson even if he did win it all. Some have already said so here.

Todd4State
06-10-2018, 04:01 PM
I didn't say I didn't watch. There is that reading comprehension thing. Again....where we were vs where we are speaks for itself. I realize that isn't a fact that most here want to recognize....but it is fact none the less. If he wins tonight if you don't give it to him.......it will turn some heads. I'm not emotionally involved with this so I bring no baggage or preconceived notions to my opinions here. As I've said before......I don't care who we hire. We just need to get behind whoever it is.

We have to stop worrying about what other people think about us because I assure you they do not have our best intentions.

We need to hire the best coaching staff possible. This is a unique opportunity to take the next step and we don't need to screw it up again like we did in 2001 because we are "nice" or "gee, wouldn't it be neat if Ron Polk came back?"

Todd4State
06-10-2018, 04:02 PM
This is true. That would solve a lot of problems if so. Some of our more vocal......fans.......wouldn't get behindHenderson even if he did win it all. Some have already said so here.

I've been observing this sport for 30+ years now. If you are not ahead of the curve you will get behind very quickly. See 2001-2009. Especially in college baseball.

Dawg61
06-10-2018, 04:32 PM
That's hilarious. I'm not emotionally invested in baseball at all. I Didn't even watch the end of the game. In fact I haven't watched a whole game in the whole tourny. It's just college baseball.

I didn't say I didn't watch. There is that reading comprehension thing.

Damn dude you can't even remember what you post in the same thread. Just arguing to argue.

Liverpooldawg
06-10-2018, 04:32 PM
We have to stop worrying about what other people think about us because I assure you they do not have our best intentions.

We need to hire the best coaching staff possible. This is a unique opportunity to take the next step and we don't need to screw it up again like we did in 2001 because we are "nice" or "gee, wouldn't it be neat if Ron Polk came back?"

I wasn't referring to other fans.

Liverpooldawg
06-10-2018, 04:34 PM
Damn dude you can't even remember what you post in the same thread. Just arguing to argue.

You have that reading comprehension trouble too. Hilarious! Read those two slowly. Maybe it will help.

Dawg61
06-10-2018, 04:38 PM
That's hilarious. I'm not emotionally invested in baseball at all. I Didn't even watch the end of the game. In fact I haven't watched a whole game in the whole tourny. It's just college baseball.

You have that reading comprehension trouble too. Hilarious! Read those two slowly. Maybe it will help.

https://media.giphy.com/media/9Droa8yvn2QSs/giphy.gif

Liverpooldawg
06-10-2018, 04:57 PM
You really don't understand why I'm laughing do you? Bless your heart. .

MarketingBully
06-10-2018, 05:24 PM
Some of you baseball gurus please answer a question. Why when we do these ridiculous shifts to the pull side are we not moving Stovall to the third base side of second? I have never seen a pull shift where the second baseman isn’t covering the gap where second is. There is absolutely no way for Alexander to get to any ball that’s close to second where a college kid could still pull off of it. You’re really only banking off a kid pulling to an area not a specific spot. If you have Stovall where he should have been on a true pull shift, that’s an out. We had the outfield set for him to pull it as well but didn’t protect the middle of the field which is what the second baseman is supposed to do. I’ve never seen the shift we used last night by any other team.

I seen it dawg
06-10-2018, 06:49 PM
I'll take that one....we suck at shifting

BB30
06-10-2018, 07:02 PM
Henderson certainly hasn’t made some great decisions. But, the pitching issue is simply one of talent or a lack there of. Our staff is not very good and it becomes increasingly harder to manage a staff when you only have one legit starter, and two more that are either on or off. Couple that with the fact that we have 2 maybe 3 bullpen arms that are just ok. It’s honestly a crap shoot on who we bring out of the pen outside of self. Everyone else has been atrociously inconsistent out of the pen.

The bottom line is we aren’t a very good or complete team talent wise. We scrap better than any other team in the country and that is why we are where we are. Not a single one of y’all could manage this staff 100% effectively and Henderson wasn’t hired to be the head coach. He knows he isn’t a great head coach but he is exactly what we needed when we got dealt the situation we did.

I would also love to know where all the love for Gautreau is coming from. Not saying he isn’t good but our success at the plate is largely just from talented freshman catching up to the speed of the game.

MarketingBully
06-11-2018, 12:32 AM
I was wrong. Let’s hire Gary and get him a bad ass pitching coach.

preachermatt83
06-11-2018, 12:35 AM
I was wrong. Let’s hire Gary and get him a bad ass pitching coach.

Lol. I don't see how you can not hire him now but I still don't think he's what's best for our future

shoeless joe
06-11-2018, 12:52 AM
Lol. I don't see how you can not hire him now but I still don't think he's what's best for our future

There's a ton of really good and really young position talent on this team and going to Omaha. If the pitching comes back together, and it's possible since several of those guys are young we could be good for several years. And I don't think one can really say Henderson couldn't lead this group to a legit NC opportunity...hell hes doin it rite now. He may not be my first choice but if we spend some money on a pitching coach and let him be the figure head I think we'll be fine.

basedog
06-11-2018, 01:11 AM
One thing for sure about Henderson, he has class, watching the players after the game and picking him up and pouring water on him says a lot what they think of him.

Not saying he is our future either, but I am extremely excited for him!

HailState, OMAHA BOUND!

preachermatt83
06-11-2018, 01:14 AM
One thing for sure about Henderson, he has class, watching the players after the game and picking him up and pouring water on him says a lot what they think of him.

Not saying he is our future either, but I am extremely excited for him!

HailState, OMAHA BOUND!

I certainly agree with this.

DawgFromOxford
06-11-2018, 01:23 AM
Say what you want about Gary's game decisions, but I thought his pitching changes were spot on tonight. Made the right calls at the right times.

basedog
06-11-2018, 01:30 AM
Probably Henderson's best coaching job was tonight. Again calmness was huge going out and settling pitchers and making the right changes!

So much drama in 11 innings, so many momentum swings!

Lastly, that damn turf extended the game for Vandy, not one single play did it help us tonight! Hate that stuff!

deadheaddawg
06-11-2018, 01:32 AM
I said before the regionals his resume before here wasn't good enough. And it wasn't.

But he has done an amazing job this year. It's insane not to give him credit.

And going back to my initial feelings on this. I said his resume wasn't good enough. I would like a coach with multiple trips.....but Henderson has one. And you would be hard pressed to find a coach who has dealt with as much shit and adversity as him.

So his CWS trip is pretty damn impressive. From taking over after a scandal, to having everyone just scream no to the thought of hiring him

Also a big chunk of the team he took to the CWS happen to be available for him to coach again next year.

Oh. And go look at the guys Kentucky is having drafted that he recruited. He apparently can recruit. Ride this team to another CWS next year, with a good recruiter......I am starting to buy into that

stat about Kentucky

Their 13 picks this year are the most in the country.

Their 21 total picks in 2017/18 drafts are the most in the country.

Their12 total Top 10 round picks the past two drafts are the most in the country

Leroy Jenkins
06-11-2018, 05:22 AM
If Henderson was not our coach, and the position was vacant, would you hire him?

Pit Bull
06-11-2018, 05:55 AM

Thanks for your opinion and participation on EliteDawgs.com.

Randolph Dupree
06-11-2018, 06:28 AM
If Henderson was not our coach, and the position was vacant, would you hire him?

^^^^^This

shoeless joe
06-11-2018, 06:39 AM

Would he be coaching another young team with a questionably talented pen that had every excuse in the book to fail to the CWS? Cuz if so there'd be a thread on here about him.

Cooterpoot
06-11-2018, 06:56 AM
Gary’s been here 3 years. We have no pitching talent or development. That falls on him. I don’t see great arms coming in either. We’re looking at another Ron Polk situation.

msstate7
06-11-2018, 07:00 AM
Gary’s been here 3 years. We have no pitching talent or development. That falls on him. I don’t see great arms coming in either. We’re looking at another Ron Polk situation.

At least get it right if you're gonna rip him... 2 years. He also had a crap load of pre-existing TJ surgeries to deal with

mparkerfd20
06-11-2018, 07:01 AM
After sleeping on it, I have mad respect for Coach Henderson (first time I remember putting those 2 words together). I'm not sure anyone else could have done what he's done with this team, even the IB himself. He deserves a shot. I dont know if he's the best decision for our long term success, but the kids play their heart out for him and obviously love him. Watch a few of the aftermath clips and that is blatantly apparent. 3 years, 3 coaches, 3 supers, and a CWS... Giving Gary a shot for 2 years isn't going to destroy this PROGRAM... Get him an outstanding pitching coach who can also recruit and it just might propel us.

Can't believe I am typing this, but if we can't pull Schloss, McDonnell, Tadlock, or Corbin why not Gary (or Jake)?

Cooterpoot
06-11-2018, 07:21 AM
At least get it right if you're gonna rip him... 2 years. He also had a crap load of pre-existing TJ surgeries to deal with

He came in before Cohen left. He’s been over 2 years.

Cooterpoot
06-11-2018, 07:22 AM
Ron Polk went to the CWS one year and was let go the next. Should we have kept him?

msstate7
06-11-2018, 07:22 AM

So you holding a class against him that had nothing to do with him? Does he get credit for the outstanding position players that are freshmen then?

Cooterpoot
06-11-2018, 07:24 AM

Name the studs he’s signed here. There are none. Show me those magnificent arms. And only one may return. Who takes their places?

Cooterpoot
06-11-2018, 07:26 AM
Making a CWS isn’t enough for me. Ron did it when we were trying to fire him.

msstate7
06-11-2018, 07:34 AM
Making a CWS isn’t enough for me. Ron did it when we were trying to fire him.

No one's first choice is Henderson. If we start reaching though, we have a guy that has won here

Liverpooldawg
06-11-2018, 07:50 AM
I don't think there is any way that you can not offer him the job now. Some of y'all are going to have to face the fact that he has done a really good job this year. He got the job in some of the worst possible circumstances, with a team in a tailspin, and righted the ship and sailed it to Omaha.

MetEdDawg
06-11-2018, 08:53 AM
I don't think there is any way that you can not offer him the job now. Some of y'all are going to have to face the fact that he has done a really good job this year. He got the job in some of the worst possible circumstances, with a team in a tailspin, and righted the ship and sailed it to Omaha.

People don't want to hear that. They are convinced Henderson ran UK into the ground and sucks. They are wrong. He was consistently average at UK which is basically what they've always been except for a couple times while Cohen was there. But if we are being honest, Cohen left him with little talent which is why Henderson started slow and he was the HC in a part of the division that had Florida, Vandy, and SC during some very prime years for those programs.

But guess who just got done having the most draft picks by any school in the country? Kentucky. They had 13 players drafted. And you can talk about the job Mingione has done but a lot of those players were recruited and initially developed by Henderson.

I believe there is a pretty false narrative going on about Henderson. He's head coach and pitching coach. The burden is too much, especially if you are managing pitchers, to do both. I think Henderson would be an extremely effective HC if he had a pitching coach come on board, which would 100% happen. Some of you are hammering Henderson for making decisions about the same things you hammered Mullen on for being a HC and calling plays. Except Henderson doesn't have a choice right now so of course some things ar going to fall through and some decisions won't make sense.

We have an ignorant fan base if we as fan are seriously not at least considering Henderson. I'm not saying offer him the job, but to say absolutely not is beyond ignorant. A lot of folks are dismissing him this year to make themselves feel better and hold on to the narrative that he's not good and we can get someone much better. He helped hold this together. You can give players and assistant some credit. But ultimately players feed off their HC. So do not dismiss what Henderson has done to hold this team together. He's done a lot and proven he's capable of taking us to Omaha.

Cooterpoot
06-11-2018, 08:55 AM

Meh, Cohen is paid big money to make good decisions. Again, making the CWS doesn't automatically give someone the job. Many were ready to fire him simply for the job he's done with our pitchers. Our freshmen hitters grew up and made the adjustment to SEC pitching. We still struggle to find a starter than can go more than 4 innings. We're 11th in the SEC in pitching, which is Henderson's group. We were 12th in fielding.
Appreciate Henderson for keeping it between the ditches until our freshmen grew up. Still don't want him as our HC. Only way that changes for me is if he wins it. This is going to be a split fan base situation on Henderson otherwise.

BrunswickDawg
06-11-2018, 09:01 AM

Henderson was hired June 17, 2016 after being let go by Kentucky and after Vern Troyer left for Arkansas. Cohen became AD in October 2016 and Cann was hired. Henderson never actually coached a game with Cohen. And since this is just June 11 - he has been here less than 2 years.

KOdawg1
06-11-2018, 09:06 AM
Meh, Cohen is paid big money to make good decisions. Again, making the CWS doesn't automatically give someone the job. Many were ready to fire him simply for the job he's done with our pitchers. Our freshmen hitters grew up and made the adjustment to SEC pitching. We still struggle to find a starter than can go more than 4 innings. We're 11th in the SEC in pitching, which is Henderson's group. We were 12th in fielding.
Appreciate Henderson for keeping it between the ditches until our freshmen grew up. Still don't want him as our HC. Only way that changes for me is if he wins it. This is going to be a split fan base situation on Henderson otherwise.

Yep, and it'll be all that is talked about around here this week instead of Omaha I'm afraid.

Cooterpoot
06-11-2018, 09:07 AM
Henderson was hired June 17, 2016 after being let go by Kentucky and after Vern Troyer left for Arkansas. Cohen became AD in October 2016 and Cann was hired. Henderson never actually coached a game with Cohen. And since this is just June 11 - he has been here less than 2 years.

So, he didn't work with the pitchers from that point until now? You're giving him half the year off from a development standpoint? I wasn't simply talking recruiting. Our pitchers haven't developed either. Right now, the hottest pitcher we've got isn't even coming back next year. We return Small and Self basically. The rest is a lot of unknowns and some JC transfers. In two+ years, we've not signed a bunch of stud pitchers. Ash is the only guy out hurt that you might claim to be a good one. Elevated pitch counts and walks have gone through the roof since Gary took over. ERA is up there too.
And I get that people believe you reward a good guy whose team has taken off the last month of the season. I get that. But I'm looking at what we've done since he's been here. Not just the last month.

tcdog70
06-11-2018, 09:13 AM

do you now see how stupid this statement was? the next day we pitched Him and he blew a 3 run lead--read more post less

preachermatt83
06-11-2018, 09:19 AM
do you now see how stupid this statement was? the next day we pitched Him and he blew a 3 run lead--read more post less

I love your obsession with me. Why even open threads I start if I should post less? I feel like I should be paying you rent.

basedog
06-11-2018, 09:20 AM
Only split with Msu baseball fans would be on Elite Dawgs, once a Dawg always a Dawg!

I don't think Hendo is our future but I will be damn if I'm pissed and mad about him being given the HC job next year. If you are then you surely aren't real Maroon!

Cohen knows what he is doing, we shall see who he chooses and I will be rooting for our next Coach, not bitching.

tcdog70
06-11-2018, 09:27 AM
I love your obsession with me. Why even open threads I start if I should post less? I feel like I should be paying you rent.

i'm not picking on you. You post some good stuff--but boy you post some shitty stuff and I just like to show you how wrong you are. Your Post was like it was written in stone that if you bring Self in we win--wrong. Usually the Coaches know best- Does Henderson tell you what to preach? if you go back and read your baseball post you will see you are wrong more than you are right. And when you are wrong it is glaring.

tcdog70
06-11-2018, 09:29 AM
Only split with Msu baseball fans would be on Elite Dawgs, once a Dawg always a Dawg!

I don't think Hendo is our future but I will be damn if I'm pissed and mad about him being given the HC job next year. If you are then you surely aren't real Maroon!

Cohen knows what he is doing, we shall see who he chooses and I will be rooting for our next Coach, not bitching.

this all day

Cooterpoot
06-11-2018, 09:41 AM

I won't say it'll just be on here, because it's on the other sites around too and people are talking about it. But I'm with you. Cohen has to look out for our future.

BrunswickDawg
06-11-2018, 09:41 AM
So, he didn't work with the pitchers from that point until now? You're giving him half the year off from a development standpoint? I wasn't simply talking recruiting. Our pitchers haven't developed either. Right now, the hottest pitcher we've got isn't even coming back next year. We return Small and Self basically. The rest is a lot of unknowns and some JC transfers. In two+ years, we've not signed a bunch of stud pitchers. Ash is the only guy out hurt that you might claim to be a good one. Elevated pitch counts and walks have gone through the roof since Gary took over. ERA is up there too.
And I get that people believe you reward a good guy whose team has taken off the last month of the season. I get that. But I'm looking at what we've done since he's been here. Not just the last month.

I didn't state any kind of judgement about Hendu. You said he had been here more than 2 years. I provided info that you were incorrect.

Now, as for your other statements - lets look at 2017 v 2018.

Pilk (2017) 3.08 8-5, 111k - (2018) 4.56, 2-6, 103 k
Self (2017) 3.72 5-2, 8 sv - (2018) 3.51, 5-0, 1 sv
Billingsley (2017) 4.78, 2-3 52 k - (2018) 4.92, 5-3, 71k
McQ (2017) 5.20, 3-4, 40k - (2018) 4.97, 2-2, 31k
Smith - (2017) hurt - (2018) 3.00, 4-0, 20k
Small - (2017) hurt - (2018) 3.11, 5-3, 112 k

13 pitchers from '17 not here in '18 (14 if you count Breaux).

How can you actually judge the progression of our staff under Henderson when you are only talking about 4 guys who have been here the whole time? He essentially was dealing with an entirely new pitching staff in '18 versus what he had in '17. Throw on top of it that in the fall our practice schedule was so out of whack, and the Cann situation.

The major elephant in the room is what were the expectations and accountability under Cann? We heard rumors on this board of team issues this past offseason. With Cann's issues I find it hard to believe that he was holding players accountable and making sure they were putting in the work needed. It was apparent as hell early in the season that under Cann's leadership, this team came in out of shape and not mentally prepared for the season. If you listen to Jake's interviews, he has even mentioned that one of the big changes during the season with Henderson was that he held them accountable. That says to me that Cann didn't, and Henderson was picking up the pieces of something that was far worse than most of us want to admit. Have the pitcher's progressed from '17 to '18 - probably not - but that is as much or more on Cann and the players as it is on Henderson. If you want to judge the progression of our pitchers - look at how they progressed during this season, and I think you have a much better look at Hendu's impact.

Cooterpoot
06-11-2018, 09:45 AM
I didn't state any kind of judgement about Hendu. You said he had been here more than 2 years. I provided info that you were incorrect.

Now, as for your other statements - lets look at 2017 v 2018.

Pilk (2017) 3.08 8-5, 111k - (2018) 4.56, 2-6, 103 k
Self (2017) 3.72 5-2, 8 sv - (2018) 3.51, 5-0, 1 sv
Billingsley (2017) 4.78, 2-3 52 k - (2018) 4.92, 5-3, 71k
McQ (2017) 5.20, 3-4, 40k - (2018) 4.97, 2-2, 31k
Smith - (2017) hurt - (2018) 3.00, 4-0, 20k
Small - (2017) hurt - (2018) 3.11, 5-3, 112 k

13 pitchers from '17 not here in '18 (14 if you count Breaux).

How can you actually judge the progression of our staff under Henderson when you are only talking about 4 guys who have been here the whole time? He essentially was dealing with an entirely new pitching staff in '18 versus what he had in '17. Throw on top of it that in the fall our practice schedule was so out of whack, and the Cann situation.

The major elephant in the room is what were the expectations and accountability under Cann? We heard rumors on this board of team issues this past offseason. With Cann's issues I find it hard to believe that he was holding players accountable and making sure they were putting in the work needed. It was apparent as hell early in the season that under Cann's leadership, this team came in out of shape and not mentally prepared for the season. If you listen to Jake's interviews, he has even mentioned that one of the big changes during the season with Henderson was that he held them accountable. That says to me that Cann didn't, and Henderson was picking up the pieces of something that was far worse than most of us want to admit. Have the pitcher's progressed from '17 to '18 - probably not - but that is as much or more on Cann and the players as it is on Henderson.

Ok, you tell me why we should hire Gary. I'm listening.

shoeless joe
06-11-2018, 09:45 AM
People don't want to hear that. They are convinced Henderson ran UK into the ground and sucks. They are wrong. He was consistently average at UK which is basically what they've always been except for a couple times while Cohen was there. But if we are being honest, Cohen left him with little talent which is why Henderson started slow and he was the HC in a part of the division that had Florida, Vandy, and SC during some very prime years for those programs.

But guess who just got done having the most draft picks by any school in the country? Kentucky. They had 13 players drafted. And you can talk about the job Mingione has done but a lot of those players were recruited and initially developed by Henderson.

I believe there is a pretty false narrative going on about Henderson. He's head coach and pitching coach. The burden is too much, especially if you are managing pitchers, to do both. I think Henderson would be an extremely effective HC if he had a pitching coach come on board, which would 100% happen. Some of you are hammering Henderson for making decisions about the same things you hammered Mullen on for being a HC and calling plays. Except Henderson doesn't have a choice right now so of course some things ar going to fall through and some decisions won't make sense.

We have an ignorant fan base if we as fan are seriously not at least considering Henderson. I'm not saying offer him the job, but to say absolutely not is beyond ignorant. A lot of folks are dismissing him this year to make themselves feel better and hold on to the narrative that he's not good and we can get someone much better. He helped hold this together. You can give players and assistant some credit. But ultimately players feed off their HC. So do not dismiss what Henderson has done to hold this team together. He's done a lot and proven he's capable of taking us to Omaha.

And a large percent of these young guys he's led to Omaha are coming back

Randolph Dupree
06-11-2018, 09:49 AM
At the end of the day all coaches are hired guns. Despite all the talk about baseball being different and coaches staying put, the bottom line is that they make decisions on where they coach based upon opportunity and what's best for them. Not the school and not the players. Make no mistake, it's a business even at the college level. Cohen will view it from this perspective because he makes decisions based on what's best for MSU athletics long term. Henderson has earned the right to be considered for the position, but at the end of the day if he doesn't get it MSU will compensate him handsomely and we will part ways. No harm no foul. That's how it works. With that being said, I still don't think Henderson is the guy (and I like the guy). Henderson is 57 years old (I think that's right), and has had a great career as a pitching coach but a sub par career as a head coach with not a lot of time to establish a winning legacy. That's important long term, because in 5-7 years he will be recruiting and kids will have to ask themselves if they want to go to a school where the guy they committed to may not be there two or three years later. If Hendo had a winning legacy, that's not as big of an issue (think Saban, he's up there in age but if you get a chance to play for him you generally do it) If we hire Henderson, it's merely a stop gap. If that's what Cohen thinks is best for us then so be it and I will get behind the hire. If he goes with someone else then I will understand that also.

For now all we know is that we've caught lightning in a bottle with a scrappy group of young men and we should all be proud and enjoy the ride. HAIL STATE!

Cooterpoot
06-11-2018, 09:52 AM
At the end of the day all coaches are hired guns. Despite all the talk about baseball being different and coaches staying put, the bottom line is that they make decisions on where they coach based upon opportunity and what's best for them. Not the school and not the players. Make no mistake, it's a business even at the college level. Cohen will view it from this perspective because he makes decisions based on what's best for MSU athletics long term. Henderson has earned the right to be considered for the position, but at the end of the day if he doesn't get it MSU will compensate him handsomely and we will part ways. No harm no foul. That's how it works. With that being said, I still don't think Henderson is the guy (and I like the guy). Henderson is 57 years old (I think that's right), and has had a great career as a pitching coach but a sub par career as a head coach with not a lot of time to establish a winning legacy. That's important long term, because in 5-7 years he will be recruiting and kids will have to ask themselves if they want to go to a school where the guy they committed to may not be there two or three years later. If Hendo had a winning legacy, that's not as big of an issue (think Saban, he's up there in age but if you get a chance to play for him you generally do it) If we hire Henderson, it's merely a stop gap. If that's what Cohen thinks is best for us then so be it and I will get behind the hire. If he goes with someone else then I will understand that also.

For now all we know is that we've caught lightning in a bottle with a scrappy group of young men and we should all be proud and enjoy the ride. HAIL STATE!

^^^^^This

Liverpooldawg
06-11-2018, 09:54 AM

The changes for the better during this season have been just a little short of miraculous. You have to offer it to him. A lot of people act like going to Omaha is a MSU birthright. It's not. We are way behind the true blue bloods in that stat.

shoeless joe
06-11-2018, 09:56 AM

I'm not sure we should hire him but I think he's an extremely strong candidate...here's why.

He's already shown he can get THIS team in position to compete for a natty. Guess what...a lot of these guys are back. Some stability would also be nice. He's proven he can lead this guys and get good results. The pitching hasn't been great but he has been in a tough spot regarding his duties as HC and pitching coach. If we keep him we need to bring in an elite pitching coach which allows Henderson to lead, be the figure head, and delegate duties, which he's shown a willingness to do this year. He has put his ego aside and done what's best for the team...and here we are.

He's done all this without the fact of the players knowing he's THE guy going forward. What was there from keeping them from just saying "screw this, you won't be around next year so I'm doin it my way and I can play for the next guy". The fact that this didn't happen says an awful lot. How this team competes and plays says an awful lot. The chemistry of this team says an awful lot. The ability to sustain multiple blows and keep fighting says an awful lot. How the players react to him says an awful lot...incould go on

Cooterpoot
06-11-2018, 09:56 AM
The changes for the better during this season have been just a little short of miraculous. You have to offer it to him. A lot of people act like going to Omaha is a MSU birthright. It's not. We are way behind the true blue bloods in that stat.

Name the coaches we've had since Ron Polk 1.0 that haven't reached the CWS.

Dawg61
06-11-2018, 10:03 AM
I'd like to add that for a long time there were lots of comments and hints at the team having some issues with the coco aka snow white aka comother****ingcaine and since Henderson has taken over not once have people been saying those things are still going on. Henderson took a team that was 2-7 in the SEC and went 9-1 vs the top 10 and won a regional @ Florida State and a supers @ Vanderbilt. That is damn impressive. Henderson got Cole Gordon to look like Noah Syndergaard. You wanna talk about showing improvement in a pitcher you can't get a more drastic improvement in less time than what Gordon did. I like Henderson's calm disposition and that he encourages the players to take ownership of the team. Do we have the rally banana under Cohen? Doubtful. We had the dugout clown show with Cohen. This team was shaking the buss today when they arrived wearing all black cause they were going to Vanderbilt's funeral. This is the kind of swag and confidence you get when you're a no ego coach with a calm demeanor that let's the players rise up and take the bull by the horns. I really think if we pair a stud pitching coach with Henderson and Gueatrux we could be set up to be pretty dang good for awhile.

Liverpooldawg
06-11-2018, 10:04 AM

How many times have we been?

Cooterpoot
06-11-2018, 10:04 AM
I'm not sure we should hire him but I think he's an extremely strong candidate...here's why.

He's already shown he can get THIS team in position to compete for a natty. Guess what...a lot of these guys are back. Some stability would also be nice. He's proven he can lead this guys and get good results. The pitching hasn't been great but he has been in a tough spot regarding his duties as HC and pitching coach. If we keep him we need to bring in an elite pitching coach which allows Henderson to lead, be the figure head, and delegate duties, which he's shown a willingness to do this year. He has put his ego aside and done what's best for the team...and here we are.

He's done all this without the fact of the players knowing he's THE guy going forward. What was there from keeping them from just saying "screw this, you won't be around next year so I'm doin it my way and I can play for the next guy". The fact that this didn't happen says an awful lot. How this team competes and plays says an awful lot. The chemistry of this team says an awful lot. The ability to sustain multiple blows and keep fighting says an awful lot. How the players react to him says an awful lot...incould go on

I hear you. I will say this, because I've got a kid playing college ball and they've been through this a little. The freshmen are the least likely to give up on the coach. It's the older players that take offense to the freshmen taking their spots or who get involved with some of the negativity that create a lot of problems when things aren't going great. The freshmen come in believing it's about winning and giving everything. They want to play and contribute. Sometimes, when things haven't gone the way they should, the older guys give up quicker. I believe having so many freshmen that don't see some of that is a huge plus. Their energy and excitement and play eventually win out if you can start the snowball rolling. It think Henderson made sure that snowball got rolling.

tcdog70
06-11-2018, 10:08 AM
I'd like to add that for a long time there were lots of comments and hints at the team having some issues with the coco aka snow white aka comother****ingcaine and since Henderson has taken over not once have people been saying those things are still going on. Henderson took a team that was 2-7 in the SEC and went 9-1 vs the top 10 and won a regional @ Florida State and a supers @ Vanderbilt. That is damn impressive. Henderson got Cole Gordon to look like Noah Syndergaard. You wanna talk about showing improvement in a pitcher you can't get a more drastic improvement in less time than what Gordon did. I like Henderson's calm disposition and that he encourages the players to take ownership of the team. Do we have the rally banana under Cohen? Doubtful. We had the dugout clown show with Cohen. This team was shaking the buss today when they arrived wearing all black cause they were going to Vanderbilt's funeral. This is the kind of swag and confidence you get when you're a no ego coach with a calm demeanor that let's the players rise up and take the bull by the horns. I really think if we pair a stud pitching coach with Henderson and Gueatrux we could be set up to be pretty dang good for awhile.

plus 1---spot on

Cooterpoot
06-11-2018, 10:09 AM
How many times have we been?

10 times total. That puts us in the top 11 in the country by number. About 15 overall. But to say we aren't a blue blood, would be false. We maybe on the outer edge of them, but we're there. And every single HC since Polky has taken us there. Canz obviously isn't here but he recruited a chunk of this team. I believe we can reach the CWS with any good coach. But who can win it for us and get us in that top tier of the blue bloods. Can Gary? I don't think so, but I hope he proves me wrong next week.

BrunswickDawg
06-11-2018, 10:09 AM

I'm not sure that we should hire him. I just think some people are so blinded by game management decisions they disagree with that they don't always look at the big picture. Look how many people rode Cohen's ass on these boards and would still tell you everything he did wrong instead of enjoying the fact from 2011-2016 we went to 5 regionals, 3 supers, a CWS championship series, won and SEC title and an SEC tourney.

Hendu may or may not be "the guy", but there is something big to be said about the abilities the man has shown this season to create a championship mentality in a situation no one else ever thought was possible.
An almost entirely new pitching staff, 3-4 freshman in the starting lineup, having to replace a Triple Crown winner in your line up, the Tommy Johns, construction messing with the fall, the Cann situation, 11 straight road games to start the season, starting 2-7 in SEC play. Show me another coach who has had a team overcome that much and made it to Omaha?

Cooterpoot
06-11-2018, 10:18 AM
I'm going to stop saying Gary isn't the guy. I'm going to say I don't think he's the guy. You guys that believe he's the guy, don't know any less than I know about it. Hell, who's to doubt this team can make a run at the CWS? We should be favored to win our first game. OSU is a beast but we can compete with anybody if we play defense.
If Gary is the guy based on Cohen's ideas, then give him the things he needs to win it all. We'll see.

basedog
06-11-2018, 10:22 AM
Most are saying Hendo isn't the future BUT what this team is doing you have to think he may be our HC next year.

Cohen has a tough decision but he loves baseball probably more than most, we shall see how this all plays out. Even now I'm not sure if Hendo wants the HC job but after the last two weeks maybe he does!

bostondawg
06-11-2018, 10:37 AM
This thread is long. It seems that most of our problems with Gary are about pitching management decisions. And hell, last night he made me eat a little bit of crow. Still poor management overall this year from him. I think a lot of us could be convinced to keep him for a while if we go out and get the best available pitching coach in the country.

MetEdDawg
06-11-2018, 10:56 AM
This thread is long. It seems that most of our problems with Gary are about pitching management decisions. And hell, last night he made me eat a little bit of crow. Still poor management overall this year from him. I think a lot of us could be convinced to keep him for a while if we go out and get the best available pitching coach in the country.

This would solve a lot of problems. It's not easy to call pitches, manage the pitching staff, and be a head coach with one less staff member. We crushed Mullen for calling plays and being head coach, but then give no sympathy to Henderson when he's forced to do it.

Find a good young pitching coach that jives with Henderson and I would be fine with that. What we should realize as fans after 3 straight trips to a SR with 3 different coaches is that it's about fit. We don't need a young up and comer for 10 years. We just proved that. We need the right cultural fits. If Cohen thinks Henderson is that fit, then at this point I would be fine with it.

tcdog70
06-11-2018, 11:44 AM
I'm going to stop saying Gary isn't the guy. I'm going to say I don't think he's the guy. You guys that believe he's the guy, don't know any less than I know about it. Hell, who's to doubt this team can make a run at the CWS? We should be favored to win our first game. OSU is a beast but we can compete with anybody if we play defense.
If Gary is the guy based on Cohen's ideas, then give him the things he needs to win it all. We'll see.

Maybe some of us don't think He is the GUY. But the ones who matter most--The Players--think He is the GUY. His assistant Coaches think He is the GUY. and when all is said and done--well--the proof is in the pudding----and that shit sure taste good today.

Really Clark?
06-11-2018, 11:45 AM

Cann didn’t do it in his only year, but Henderson did taking over for him

Cooterpoot
06-11-2018, 12:14 PM
Making a CWS isn't what we should be hoping for. Winning it should be. My point being, any good coach can get us there. We've proven that over the history of our program. Who can do more? That's Cohen's job. Find that person. It's Gary? Is it Butch? Is it Ron Polk? Just find him. Then give him what he needs to get it done. Our program is so close.

Turfdawg67
06-11-2018, 12:20 PM

So if Henderson wins it all this year, then this is a moot point since no coach in our illustrious history has ever won a Natty. We can't fire a coach that finally wins the big one at State!

Liverpooldawg
06-11-2018, 12:30 PM
10 times total. That puts us in the top 11 in the country by number. About 15 overall. But to say we aren't a blue blood, would be false. We maybe on the outer edge of them, but we're there. And every single HC since Polky has taken us there. Canz obviously isn't here but he recruited a chunk of this team. I believe we can reach the CWS with any good coach. But who can win it for us and get us in that top tier of the blue bloods. Can Gary? I don't think so, but I hope he proves me wrong next week.

Blue Bloods have titles. We don't.

msbulldog
06-11-2018, 01:11 PM
Cann didn’t do it in his only year, but Henderson did taking over for him

Okay Clark, you are the logical one on this board, tell us swami what is the most logical choice? Extend Hendo or get somebody else? I'm leaning to the latter.

shoeless joe
06-11-2018, 01:18 PM
I hear you. I will say this, because I've got a kid playing college ball and they've been through this a little. The freshmen are the least likely to give up on the coach. It's the older players that take offense to the freshmen taking their spots or who get involved with some of the negativity that create a lot of problems when things aren't going great. The freshmen come in believing it's about winning and giving everything. They want to play and contribute. Sometimes, when things haven't gone the way they should, the older guys give up quicker. I believe having so many freshmen that don't see some of that is a huge plus. Their energy and excitement and play eventually win out if you can start the snowball rolling. It think Henderson made sure that snowball got rolling.

Agree completely...you are preaching to the choir on that one!

shoeless joe
06-11-2018, 01:24 PM
Making a CWS isn't what we should be hoping for. Winning it should be. My point being, any good coach can get us there. We've proven that over the history of our program. Who can do more? That's Cohen's job. Find that person. It's Gary? Is it Butch? Is it Ron Polk? Just find him. Then give him what he needs to get it done. Our program is so close.

Credit to you for allowing what's going on to shape your opinion and not defending a position that is in flux. A lot of us think similarly on this coaching search. I'll trust Cohen and support whoever we get. And just like you said...let's make sure whoever it is has all the resources they need to take us to the promised land.

yjnkdawg
06-11-2018, 01:40 PM
Most are saying Hendo isn't the future BUT what this team is doing you have to think he may be our HC next year.

Cohen has a tough decision but he loves baseball probably more than most, we shall see how this all plays out. Even now I'm not sure if Hendo wants the HC job but after the last two weeks maybe he does!

I agree . Cohen is not going to screw our baseball program up. If he thinks Henderson is the man then that's who it will be, If not then he will get his man. Henderson was happy with being our pitching coach, and took the interim to help Cohen out. Does he want the HC job now. ? Well it appears that it may be trending in that direction, as he has bonded with our players and vice versa. It is one thing for certain, a very few message board coaches who coach and coach on the so-called "Game Threads (what a joke) to call those "game Threads", won't be calling the shots on our coaching hire.

shannondawg
06-11-2018, 01:57 PM
Its no doubt that Henderson can coach, my only thought will his age hinder recruiting. Maybe so, maybe not. Time will tell.

yjnkdawg
06-11-2018, 02:06 PM
Preacher, do you really think you deserve to have that avatar? You started using it as a joke and basically to criticize and make fun of Henderson (am I right?). On the other hand, our players bought into his program, respect and believe in him. Two different methods of thinking.

msstate7
06-11-2018, 02:12 PM
I found this interesting about Henderson. In this last 6 sec seasons (5 at Kentucky and 1 here), he is 94-92 in sec play. This was better than I expected having to deal with powers vandy, Florida, and South Carolina

ETA... for reference, I think we can all agree that Bianco has been good at om. In his last 6 seasons, he's 99-80 (.553). Henderson is at 94-92 (.505).

Really Clark?
06-11-2018, 02:14 PM
Okay Clark, you are the logical one on this board, tell us swami what is the most logical choice? Extend Hendo or get somebody else? I'm leaning to the latter.

Honestly, if John had made it public that the hire from the beginning would also include Henderson, with this season as his interview, then you can make a good case that Henderson has done enough to warrant being extended. I don?t think you could have picked any coach in the country and gotten much better results.

That being said, Henderson was never named a candidate, even 2 weeks ago the debate among fans was not as large. Heck we don?t even know if he would want the job. However, I am a firm believer that you shouldn?t hire an Interim coach who was not a candidate until the emotions of an better than anticipated surge came into play. Very similar to when many people was pushing for Ed Orgeron to get the USC job off a surge of positive emotions and success. Even media was pushing this thought process. I disagreed with that at USC and LSU. I just believe that if he was not a serious candidate in Cohen?s eyes prior to the last few weeks, then it?s a mistake to let a short term momentum surge and the emotions of success to override the longer process that has been taking place with the hire and the long term outlook for the program as a whole. And that is a lot more than in game strategy and coaching. We are talking about running a program.

Now if Cohen decides that he was wrong to not consider Henderson from day 1, fine, I can understand that. But I do believe that it?s usually a mistake to let the emotions of winning cloud the hiring process. Of course if he wins the whole thing, all bets are off and you have to reward that job and make sure every available resource is in line to push him forward as the head of the program. Including taking all of the heat away from Henderson maybe not being as poplar of a choice as some fans would have liked.

shannondawg
06-11-2018, 02:21 PM
I would hate to be in Cohen's shoes for this decision. Damm if you do, damm if you don't.

I'd be praying that he doesn't want the job, and wants his old one back. but that would be up to the next coach I guess.

yjnkdawg
06-11-2018, 02:24 PM
I would hate to be in Cohen's shoes for this decision. Damm if you do, damm if you don't.

I'd be praying that he doesn't want the job, and wants his old one back. but that would be up to the next coach I guess.

It's good Cohen doesn't have to come before some posters on ED and justify his choice. LOL

lefty96
06-11-2018, 02:25 PM

Worst spot for Cohen. Hell, the next coach if it isn't Henderson will be arriving to some high expectations for sure.

basedog
06-11-2018, 02:26 PM

You would be taking a pay cut shannondawg!

shoeless joe
06-11-2018, 02:51 PM
No one knows how the conversation went between Henderson and Cohen when he was handed the interim job. That conversation will prolly be the determining factor as to whether he is a legitimate candidate in cohens eyes.

Really Clark?
06-11-2018, 03:04 PM
No one knows how the conversation went between Henderson and Cohen when he was handed the interim job. That conversation will prolly be the determining factor as to whether he is a legitimate candidate in cohens eyes.

True but publicly Cohen has spoken about our job several times. And unless I missed it, Henderson’s name has not been mentioned when Cohen spoke about the position. Could have they have had talks about this opportunity over the last few months? Cohen would be an idiot to not talk with his interim coach. But like you said, publicly that is not known. The other issue is all of the names supposedly that were serious considerations. Unless they were complete smoke screens and Cohen has told Henderson he is the man behind the scenes and that is why names have been withdrawn and such

Mjoelner34
06-11-2018, 06:43 PM
Other things to consider. Henderson already quit once because he said he needed a break dealing with the 24/7/365 responsibilities as a head coach. Are we looking for a stop-gap hire who may be gone in a year or two because they burned out or a 10 year program building hire? With where we are now, I'm looking for the latter and based on his past record and his getting burned out before, I can't say that I'd even give him a look and neither would 90% of the people penciling him now if Mac hadn't hit the walk-off against FSU. Before anybody says it, I know that we can't offer anything longer than a 4 year contract but that's not the point.

Plus, as thorough as the IB seems to be, I have to believe that when he hired him as interim the topic had to have come up about him becoming the permanent coach. If it did and Cohen still came out with what he said about the future coach, that should tell you what the answer was to that.

shannondawg
06-11-2018, 06:44 PM
Just be patient, after we win our first national championship, he will announce the new coach.

MSU338
06-11-2018, 06:59 PM
I could be wrong, but Cohen put high expectations and qualifications on this coaching search. Henderson does not meet the criteria if you ask me! He has done a good job with the situation at hand but I do not believe he is an elite coach that will be best for MSU baseball in the future. I also believe that if Cohen fails to deliver on his coaching search he promised, he will use Henderson as a scape goat because he could not deliver. Cohen is now in a situation to save face. But Henderson isn?t the answer for our future. Regardless if he when?s a championship!

MarketingBully
06-11-2018, 07:11 PM
It’s seasons like this that can invigorate a coach. You can really tell he cares for these kids and they care for him. He’s a calming influence and a tell it like it is guy and these kids responded. I think if you do name Henderson you do it in such a way to make Gautreau the Coach in Waiting in a few years. We practically return our entire team next year and we should get a talent infusion from our recruiting class and TJ guys on our pitching staff so stuff wise we could be better next year. Self will be completely healthy, Price will be back, Ashcraft will be back, Small should have his velocity back as our Friday ace, we should get quite a talent infusion with the freshman pitchers in this class.

Pit Bull
06-11-2018, 10:40 PM

If we win the whole "shebang", we will almost have no choice but to hire him (provided he wants the job). The national sports media will come down on us and Cohen like a duck on a June bug and give MSU some of the worst reporting and bad raps you have ever seen. Cohen will have to sit down with Hendy, Gautreau, Brown and key players and get a feel for where things stand. It might be a Hendy 2 year contract with Gautreau becoming the HC after that. Or something like that. Pay them both well to keep them around. There are lots of ways Cohen can set up an arrangement that will please most and give Gautreau something to look forward to and be our future. But like I said, if we win it all.....Cohen will almost have to name Henderson as full time HC for X amount of years. In fact, he's close to having to do it just because we got to the CWS. Continuity is critical to college baseball coaching. I really thought Canny set our program back 2-3 years by his actions. Luckily, our current coaches have slap turned that around.....a good mixture of experience, youth, and chemistry.

Pit Bull
06-11-2018, 10:50 PM
No one's first choice is Henderson. If we start reaching though, we have a guy that has won here

This may backfire on us. Many prospective coaches don't understand why we wont give it Hendy. They may be turned off if they think our expectations are too sky high. The coaching circles are close community.....they all know each other very well. Overlooking Hendy could be construed as a red flag to them.....especially if he were to win it all.

deadheaddawg
06-11-2018, 10:50 PM
I could be wrong, but Cohen put high expectations and qualifications on this coaching search. Henderson does not meet the criteria if you ask me! He has done a good job with the situation at hand but I do not believe he is an elite coach that will be best for MSU baseball in the future. I also believe that if Cohen fails to deliver on his coaching search he promised, he will use Henderson as a scape goat because he could not deliver. Cohen is now in a situation to save face. But Henderson isn?t the answer for our future. Regardless if he when?s a championship!

You are right, but it's looking like is very unlikely a coach with those qualifications will take the job

So how you are going down to the next level. Which should include Henderson

Cooterpoot
06-11-2018, 11:56 PM
If we win the whole "shebang", we will almost have no choice but to hire him (provided he wants the job). The national sports media will come down on us and Cohen like a duck on a June bug and give MSU some of the worst reporting and bad raps you have ever seen. Cohen will have to sit down with Hendy, Gautreau, Brown and key players and get a feel for where things stand. It might be a Hendy 2 year contract with Gautreau becoming the HC after that. Or something like that. Pay them both well to keep them around. There are lots of ways Cohen can set up an arrangement that will please most and give Gautreau something to look forward to and be our future. But like I said, if we win it all.....Cohen will almost have to name Henderson as full time HC for X amount of years. In fact, he's close to having to do it just because we got to the CWS. Continuity is critical to college baseball coaching. I really thought Canny set our program back 2-3 years by his actions. Luckily, our current coaches have slap turned that around.....a good mixture of experience, youth, and chemistry.

Ron Polk set us back 10 years. I feel like Gary is a similar hire. You’re right, if we win it, we have no choice. And I’m ok with that. Let’s see how it goes. I’m tired of ripping Gary. He’s done what he could and it’s worked out.

Dawg61
06-12-2018, 12:20 AM
Ron Polk set us back 10 years. I feel like Gary is a similar hire. You’re right, if we win it, we have no choice. And I’m ok with that. Let’s see how it goes. I’m tired of ripping Gary. He’s done what he could and it’s worked out.

Kentucky has the most draft picks in the country in the last two years and now Henderson has guided us to Omaha. Perhaps we are getting Henderson as he's peaking and not Polk 2.0. It's easier to recruit here than Kentucky.

dawgoneyall
06-12-2018, 12:25 AM

If YoYo Ma wins the National championship he deserves to be the head coach

Todd4State
06-12-2018, 12:56 AM

Did USC get ripped for not hiring Orgeron? If they did I certainly don't care and I don't think any less of USCw football.

We have to not worry about what others will think about us and do what is best for MSU.

I think we are in a unique position to take the next step. And honestly I wouldn't be surprised if some of these big names that have pulled their names out re-consider once our season is over. We'll see.

If we can't get a proven big name coach I would much rather go with a young up and comer like Coach Waz at Purdue, Tony Vitiello at Tennessee or even Jake Gautreau than someone that is in his 60's and is probably going to retire in a few years anyway.

And as I have said making Gautreau the coach in waiting whether official or understood could come back to bite us if someone else comes along and decides to make him their head coach.

The Federalist Engineer
06-12-2018, 01:22 AM
Preacher, do you really think you deserve to have that avatar? You started using it as a joke and basically to criticize and make fun of Henderson (am I right?). On the other hand, our players bought into his program, respect and believe in him. Two different methods of thinking.

Preach got criticized by me and others for having Tim Tadlock as the avatar. I think his current avatar should stay, team has been hot since he changed it. DO NOT CHANGE IT Preach, not even for a Chiquita Banana

Dawg61
06-12-2018, 02:09 AM
Henderson doesn't look to me like a guy about to retire. Baseball coaches can coach longer than football coaches usually. It's not as stressful a position. We know what he have with Henderson and as of today it looks pretty good. We get him a stud pitching coach and give Gautreau a fat raise with the HCIW title we keep our momentum going for awhile. Bringing in someone from a completely different program like Purdue I think brings a far greater risk of us taking a couple steps back before we can get back to where we are right now with no guarantees we'll take the next step forward than the risk of keeping Henderson and then turning the reigns over to Gautreau in a couple years does.

Cooterpoot
06-12-2018, 06:39 AM
Kentucky has the most draft picks in the country in the last two years and now Henderson has guided us to Omaha. Perhaps we are getting Henderson as he's peaking and not Polk 2.0. It's easier to recruit here than Kentucky.

You realize he was getting out of baseball for awhile due to burn out when we got him right? Cohen talked him into coming here.

Liverpooldawg
06-12-2018, 07:59 AM
Did USC get ripped for not hiring Orgeron? If they did I certainly don't care and I don't think any less of USCw football.

We have to not worry about what others will think about us and do what is best for MSU.

I think we are in a unique position to take the next step. And honestly I wouldn't be surprised if some of these big names that have pulled their names out re-consider once our season is over. We'll see.

If we can't get a proven big name coach I would much rather go with a young up and comer like Coach Waz at Purdue, Tony Vitiello at Tennessee or even Jake Gautreau than someone that is in his 60's and is probably going to retire in a few years anyway.

And as I have said making Gautreau the coach in waiting whether official or understood could come back to bite us if someone else comes along and decides to make him their head coach.

MSU baseball is NOT USC football. You are talking about one of the top 3-4 programs of all time with USC football.

MarketingBully
06-12-2018, 08:58 AM

According to Bo on OOB this morning, McDonnell’s people are still in touch.

Leroy Jenkins
06-12-2018, 09:26 AM
Last thing I will say on this. If you didn't think he was the guy two weeks ago, he ain't the guy today. Don't get caught up in your feelings.

If the position was vacant Henderson wouldn't be in the top 10 candidates to fill it.

shoeless joe
06-12-2018, 09:59 AM
Last thing I will say on this. If you didn't think he was the guy two weeks ago, he ain't the guy today. Don't get caught up in your feelings.

If the position was vacant Henderson wouldn't be in the top 10 candidates to fill it.

But let's say he was in the exact same situation he's in now but is the interim as USM, or auburn, or Arizona; wherever...if he had gone on this type of run I think he would be a candidate. Maybe not a top of the list candidate but a guy Cohen would check on and the fans would be interested in.

Cooterpoot
06-12-2018, 10:07 AM
I will say again, any decent coach in America can get us to the CWS. We've already proven that. We're doing it about every 3-4 years right now. Who can get us there 3 straight years? Who can win it? Who can maintain a program that competes for the SEC championship most years and is in the CWS multiple times?

shannondawg
06-12-2018, 12:11 PM
The coaches that said they pulled out of contention, were not all their teams still playing when they said they pulled out? Duh!, makes sense to me, all the talk about them leaving would surely have an affect on their teams. Coaches lie, maybe not these , but I've seen enough of it in the past to take what they say with a grain of salt, especially about leaving for another job.

What was Tubby's famous statement before he got on the plane at Oxford leaving for Auburn?? Pine box?????

Dawg61
06-12-2018, 01:04 PM
You realize he was getting out of baseball for awhile due to burn out when we got him right? Cohen talked him into coming here.

Was that right after Kentucky fired him? You know Howland took a year off from coaching after UCLA fired him. To me I look at that as a coach taking advantage of an opportunity to take a little R&R. Can't blame a man for wanting to seize that small window of opportunity to do some fishing and drink some beers for a bit. Looks like it didn't last long just like Howland's didn't last long.