PDA

View Full Version : Luke at SS

Bodaski
06-10-2018, 12:35 AM
He seems to have less range than most of the short stops we've had in the past. Is it just me or does anyone else see what I see out of Luke Alexander.

Bdawg
06-10-2018, 12:38 AM
Hell yes. He's awful. I've yet to see him get close to make a diving play on a ball. Now a lot tonight was not on him but the shifts. But yes, he has no range.

Todd4State
06-10-2018, 12:40 AM
Even Ozzie Smith has bad range when the coach puts them by third base.

whosyourdawgy
06-10-2018, 12:48 AM
Exactly. That triple in the eight would’ve been an easy out if he was playing short stop instead of 3rd base. Then we have Mangum in right center and Rowdy close to the left field line and it rolled all the way to the fence.

KOdawg1
06-10-2018, 12:49 AM
The dumb shifts don't help things, but range is definitely an issue for him. Just look at Vandy's SS. He gets to a lot of ground balls up the middle and saves base hits bc of it. Idk if it's that Luke's reaction time is slow or his footwork sucks or what. But he's costing us out there at short

Leeshouldveflanked
06-10-2018, 12:50 AM
Bad positioning all night by Henderson... the Triple would be a rountine out to Short most times.

msstate7
06-10-2018, 12:53 AM
The dumb shifts don't help things, but range is definitely an issue for him. Just look at Vandy's SS. He gets to a lot of ground balls up the middle and saves base hits bc of it. Idk if it's that Luke's reaction time is slow or his footwork sucks or what. But he's costing us out there at short

Vandy's SS is a bad comparison. He is elite. Corbin said he's better than Dansby Swanson defensively, and Dansby is the #1 rated defender by fangraphs in the national league. Kaiser was a 3rd round pick essentially for his glove

KOdawg1
06-10-2018, 01:02 AM
Vandy's SS is a bad comparison. He is elite. Corbin said he's better than Dansby Swanson defensively, and Dansby is the #1 rated defender by fangraphs in the national league. Kaiser was a 3rd round pick essentially for his glove
It really doesn't matter who you compare him to, Luke's range is below average than what an SEC shortstop's should be. Unless it's essentially hit right at him, he isn't making the play.

I will give him some praise though. 3 hits tonight. We'll need some of that tomorrow.

MarketingBully
06-10-2018, 01:11 AM

Every shortstop I’ve seen us play against sans Alabama has gotten to balls that I routinely see get through with Luke. But in his defense, the shifts are the dumbest shifts I’ve ever seen.

Todd4State
06-10-2018, 01:14 AM
Every shortstop I’ve seen us play against sans Alabama has gotten to balls that I routinely see get through with Luke. But in his defense, the shifts are the dumbest shifts I’ve ever seen.

Which is even less of a reason to shift him like that. I mean, if we think Foscue is that limited put Westburg there and let Foscue DH. I doubt that's the case since Stovall was playing right by the first baseman.

louisvilledawg
06-10-2018, 09:35 AM
His batting sucks
His range sucks
His fielding is meh

confucius say
06-10-2018, 10:19 AM
He is physically limited (lack of lateral movement and range) which is compounded by his not getting good reads which is compounded by him being misaligned constantly.