PDA

View Full Version : Stovall's defensive positioning

Leeshouldveflanked
06-09-2018, 11:05 PM
I meant LA....We have guessed wrong all night on his defensive positioning....

Todd4State
06-10-2018, 12:16 AM
I don't understand a shift where you basically totally leave the middle infield completely open.

msstate7
06-10-2018, 12:17 AM
I don't understand a shift where you basically totally leave the middle infield completely open.

Double teaming the lines haha

MarketingBully
06-10-2018, 02:29 AM
Here’s what I don’t understand. If you have that extreme shift on, isn’t the second baseman usually positioned straight up the middle? Otherwise, you are giving up groundballs straight up the center which is what our shifts do. I’ve never seen a shift like we do. I have however seen extreme shifting where the third baseman, shortstop, and second baseman are all on the left side which is what you are trying to do with the shift. That protects you from hitters whose tendency is to hit it on the left side. Had we had Stovall positioned to the left of second on those shifts, that triple never gets through and we are in Omaha right now.

MarketingBully
06-10-2018, 02:31 AM
I meant LA....We have guessed wrong all night on his defensive positioning....

The extreme shift to the left side makes no sense unless you shift Stovall as well to cover anything hit up the middle or to the left of second. Why do an extreme shift if you don’t also shift Stovall?

MarketingBully
06-10-2018, 02:43 AM
I knew it! The reason our shift isn’t working is because we are positioning Stovall wrong. In a true right hand shift, the second baseman should be playing to the third base side of second thus covering the middle of the infield. We are basically asking Alexander to cover half the infield which no shortstop could do. This is baseball 101. The balls going by Alexander are not his fault. The coach who is shifting us is a dumbass.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infield_shift