PDA

View Full Version : I wonder if Henderson should consider defensive replacements

Ezsoil
06-09-2018, 09:42 AM
Rowdy has had some defensive issues and he had just made the last out in the eighth .... shouldn?t he have been replaced by Poole who is a solid defensive player?

mparkerfd20
06-09-2018, 09:45 AM
Replacing catcher saves 4-5 runs alone last night.

MetEdDawg
06-09-2018, 09:46 AM
Rowdy has had some defensive issues and he had just made the last out in the eighth .... shouldn?t he have been replaced by Poole who is a solid defensive player?

Ball hit about 8-10 feet up the wall. It would have been a hell of a play for him to make. And if we go into extras you want Tanner Poole in the game getting ABs?

Heck no. We are fine defensively. We crapped ourselves a little bit there at the end but that's not surprising. This isn't always going to look pretty. This team has overachieved to me so we are going to not look great sometimes. But Rowdey is fine.

starkvegasdawg
06-09-2018, 09:53 AM
Ball hit about 8-10 feet up the wall. It would have been a hell of a play for him to make. And if we go into extras you want Tanner Poole in the game getting ABs?

Heck no. We are fine defensively. We crapped ourselves a little bit there at the end but that's not surprising. This isn't always going to look pretty. This team has overachieved to me so we are going to not look great sometimes. But Rowdey is fine.

I won't say we're fine defensively. Seems we average about three errors a game.

msstate7
06-09-2018, 09:54 AM
Absolutely we should defensive sub in the 9th. Poole is a really bad hitter, but a plus defender. Poole should play the 9th when we have a lead

MetEdDawg
06-09-2018, 10:06 AM
I won't say we're fine defensively. Seems we average about three errors a game.

68 errors in 62 games. That's basically 1 per game. So let's not get carried away with having one bad defensive game.

Rick Danko
06-09-2018, 10:27 AM

Any poster who ever suggests putting Poole in the lineup should have all posting privileges revoked

justwin
06-09-2018, 10:33 AM
Absolutely we should defensive sub in the 9th. Poole is a really bad hitter, but a plus defender. Poole should play the 9th when we have a lead

Hell no. Ever. 2 years ago va Arizona, cohen took out rooker who hit 2 hrs and replac D by the kid whom promptly struck out after we gave up the lead

justwin
06-09-2018, 10:34 AM

Poole is not an elite defender. Just because people keep saying it doesn't make it true. Poole & vansau do not deserve any more PT.

KOdawg1
06-09-2018, 10:47 AM
Any poster who ever suggests putting Poole in the lineup should have all posting privileges revoked

This. If you have to make a defensive sub in the outfield, go with Anderson.

msstate7
06-09-2018, 10:54 AM
Some of you let seeing a guy struggle at the plate cloud your judgement on a guy's ability to play defense. Poole can go get em defensively. In the 9th with a lead, you want your best defenders on the field when you have your closer in the game. Poole tracks down that ball to LF in the 9th easily.

Rick Danko
06-09-2018, 11:01 AM
Some of you let seeing a guy struggle at the plate cloud your judgement on a guy's ability to play defense. Poole can go get em defensively. In the 9th with a lead, you want your best defenders on the field when you have your closer in the game. Poole tracks down that ball to LF in the 9th easily.

Good god, just stop it. All due respect to Poole, I couldn?t hold his jock strap at this point in my life, but he is not an SEC player, and pulling a young player who could be the next star in MSU history because he didn?t have a rocket up his ass to make the catch off the fence last night is borderline insanse

msstate7
06-09-2018, 11:07 AM
Good god, just stop it. All due respect to Poole, I couldn?t hold his jock strap at this point in my life, but he is not an SEC player, and pulling a young player who could be the next star in MSU history because he didn?t have a rocket up his ass to make the catch off the fence last night is borderline insanse

Rowdey is a star in the making. I love the kid, but he struggles in the OF. His fielding % is .951 (4 errors). This doesn't even tell the whole story bc he gets bad reads all the time on balls. This kid should play despite that though bc he can flat out smash. When you need 3 outs though with the CWS on the line, I play the better defender bc you take a glove to LF, not a bat

HoopsDawg
06-09-2018, 11:11 AM
68 errors in 62 games. That's basically 1 per game. So let's not get carried away with having one bad defensive game.

We are 117th in the country in fielding percentage.

HoopsDawg
06-09-2018, 11:13 AM

Yes, good call. Since Rowdy made the last out, that would have been a good decision to bring in Poole. Poole is 6'4, he would have made that catch rather easily. And to the other posters in this thread, Poole is definitely a plus defender.

preachermatt83
06-09-2018, 11:13 AM

+1000

msstate7
06-09-2018, 11:15 AM
Yes, good call. Since Rowdy made the last out, that would have been a good decision to bring in Poole. Poole is 6'4, he would have made that catch rather easily. And to the other posters in this thread, Poole is definitely a plus defender.

Prepare to be attacked. Some posters here can't see that with 3 outs remaining with a lead, you make decisions based on defense not offense

bulldawg28
06-09-2018, 11:40 AM
Prepare to be attacked. Some posters here can't see that with 3 outs remaining with a lead, you make decisions based on defense not offense

Truth. No way the game should have ended the way it did. Catch the pop up and win the game. The positive is maybe it deflated Vandy losing in that way yesterday.

sleepy dawg
06-09-2018, 11:42 AM
+1000

You are a habitual "over-pluser", but I agree +∞ in this case.

Rowdy roughly averages an error once ever 100 innings this season, which is not great but not definitely not something you should place much concern in either. Poole has no errors, but has played less than half the time Rowdy has played.

Rowdy has a .93 OPS while Poole has a .63 OPS, and Rowdy's in the past couple of months would be quite a bit higher. That is a substantial difference with the bat.

Ari Gold
06-09-2018, 11:48 AM
That’s not on Rowdy. Its on the terrible relay throw to third.

KOdawg1
06-09-2018, 12:13 PM
That’s not on Rowdy. Its on the terrible relay throw to third.
And then a pretty bad throw home by Fosc. A good throw nails him

whosyourdawgy
06-09-2018, 12:27 PM
Look. The left side is true freshmen. Rowdy has had his struggles in left field true. But Foscue has struggled himself at 3rd probably even more so. Rowdy tried to make a fantastic catch and missed. The throw to 3rd to me wasn’t awful. Foscue has got to come up with or at least block it. Then after it got away, he shoulda thrown the guy out by 2 feet at home and almost panicked and rushed the three and threw it to the pitchers mound instead of home plate. We’ve got to take the lumps in the field for them at the plate though. With experience both will be much better in the field

basedog
06-09-2018, 12:33 PM
That?s not on Rowdy. Its on the terrible relay throw to third.

Thanks Ari, the PlayStation Guy must not have seen not one bad relay throw but how bout Two!

Coulda, Woulda Shoulda. That's Baseball!

Saltydog
06-09-2018, 12:41 PM
caught that ball last night.

KOdawg1
06-09-2018, 12:57 PM
Thanks Ari, the PlayStation Guy must not have seen not one bad relay throw but how bout Two!

Coulda, Woulda Shoulda. That's Baseball!

We're just discussing the game last night. I'm not sure what a "PlayStation" has to do with anything

Todd4State
06-09-2018, 01:00 PM
The last thing I want is Gary Henderson thinking right now.

FWIW- Rowdey made a play off the wall similar to last night in Houston and got the out. The throw in wasn't great and it was compounded by hitting the runner.

But here's my thing- we play so many close and extra innings games I would rather keep our bats in the lineup. If we had a dominant shut down pitching staff I might feel differently but since that's not happening this year I want to keep the bats in.

Rick Danko
06-09-2018, 01:10 PM
If we are up 4-6 with 3 outs left, fine, put him in. But if you are looking at any possible scenario barring a collapse, where he may have to come to the plate, the simple answer is Hell No, do not put him in. His bat is a severe liability

ETA: I am a state fan above all else, so my sincerest wish is if this occurred and he were sent in late innings for ?defense?, he belt one over the left center field wall and do a double finger salute to all us doubters

msstate7
06-09-2018, 01:12 PM
If we are up 4-6 with 3 outs left, fine, put him in. But if you are looking at any possible scenario barring a collapse, where he may have to come to the plate, the simple answer is Hell No, do not put him in. His bat is a severe liability

Rowdey was the last out in the 8th. The lineup would've had to flip completely for Poole to hit again

Rick Danko
06-09-2018, 01:15 PM
Rowdey was the last out in the 8th. The lineup would've had to flip completely for Poole to hit again

The game was within a run I think. You have to play percentages. No one knows they get the crazy play score. No one had a clue Mac relives his magic. It?s too close to call to pull a plus hitter for a marginally better gloves. JMHO

msstate7
06-09-2018, 01:18 PM
The game was within a run I think. You have to play percentages. No one knows they get the crazy play score. No one had a clue Mac relives his magic. It?s too close to call to pull a plus hitter for a marginally better gloves. JMHO

And I respect your opinion. This isn't a cut and dry decision. I like to get best defenders in there and try to close it, but it can backfire. Vice versa the other way

Westdawg
06-09-2018, 01:25 PM
Rowdey is a star in the making. I love the kid, but he struggles in the OF. His fielding % is .951 (4 errors). This doesn't even tell the whole story bc he gets bad reads all the time on balls. This kid should play despite that though bc he can flat out smash. When you need 3 outs though with the CWS on the line, I play the better defender bc you take a glove to LF, not a bat

Here's the BIG THING that all of you are missing concerning Rowdy's play in outfield ---he was recruited and and primarily played only at 2B and SS in high school. He has had to make this transition on the fly during the season. We didn't have a field during the Fall for him to get ahead of the curve. Let him get through this season and another Fall before we cast him off from OF.

msstate7
06-09-2018, 01:28 PM
Here's the BIG THING that all of you are missing concerning Rowdy's play in outfield ---he was recruited and and primarily played only at 2B and SS in high school. He has had to make this transition on the fly during the season. We didn't have a field during the Fall for him to get ahead of the curve. Let him get through this season and another Fall before we cast him off from OF.

I didn't make any predictions about his future. Players get better with age. This was only about 3 outs in the 9th last night

basedog
06-09-2018, 01:40 PM
Here is my question? We win the game, does it matter now about any what if’s?
Now if we had gotten beat so be it and question a Coach’s decision.

Trying to find a negative about a positive win is crazy now. Geez

Just saying.

WeWonItAll(Most)
06-09-2018, 01:59 PM
Our pitchers made an atrocious amount of errors during nonconference play. I'm not saying we're good, but we're not that bad.

MetEdDawg
06-09-2018, 02:00 PM

Throwing errors are the majority of those. Everyone on here is talking about catching a ball that hit 10 feet up a wall.

MetEdDawg
06-09-2018, 02:04 PM
caught that ball last night.

How do you know that? You have no clue that he 100% would have caught that. I hate when people say that to bolster an argument.

Say I think he might have had a better chance. But for sure would have caught that ball? You don't know that. Catching a ball 10 feet up a wall isn't exactly a routine play.

msstate7
06-09-2018, 02:10 PM
How do you know that? You have no clue that he 100% would have caught that. I hate when people say that to bolster an argument.

Say I think he might have had a better chance. But for sure would have caught that ball? You don't know that. Catching a ball 10 feet up a wall isn't exactly a routine play.

"10 foot off the wall" could be your way of bolstering your argument. Go look at the highlights http://www.secsports.com front page

Rowdey listed at 5'10"; Poole listed at 6'4". I think 1/2 a foot would have been quite beneficial

MetEdDawg
06-09-2018, 02:36 PM
"10 foot off the wall" could be your way of bolstering your argument. Go look at the highlights http://www.secsports.com front page

Rowdey listed at 5'10"; Poole listed at 6'4". I think 1/2 a foot would have been quite beneficial

Possibly. Maybe it was 8-9 feet. Either way height had nothing to do with it. Rowdey could have caught the ball. It was about timing and positioning not height. All I'm saying is it was a damn difficult play and for us to assume Poole makes that play is ridiculous.

At this point there is nothing Poole does good enough for me to sacrifice Rowdey Jordan. Not one thing. I'll also say that my guess is the majority of people asking for Poole to defensive sub don't coach or never have coached baseball or played baseball at a high level. You only see that when there is a significant difference between the two and there isn't here. Especially if we have to turn the lineup over again.

What people really should be mad at are the relay throw and the throw home. Those both were god awful. Cost us the run 100%. Not Rowdey. Ask any legitimate OF and if they tell you the truth that play gets made at best 50%, especially when you consider there's not warning track because the field is all turf.

Bulldog1
06-09-2018, 02:38 PM
What people really should be mad at are the relay throw and the throw home. Those both were god awful. Cost us the run 100%.
I agree with this.

Todd4State
06-09-2018, 02:43 PM
I see a lot of prople here who don't understand how difficult it is to catch a ball up against a wall. Especially a 30 foot wall. I know mstate7 is about to say it's only 28 and a half feet of a wall or something like that.

Todd4State
06-09-2018, 02:46 PM
At any rate it's hard to criticize a player for not making a web gem of a play that a lot of MLB players would have had a hard time making. And I don't think we can just assume that Tanner Poole would have made that play. That was a really difficult play.

msstate7
06-09-2018, 02:47 PM
Possibly. Maybe it was 8-9 feet. Either way height had nothing to do with it. Rowdey could have caught the ball. It was about timing and positioning not height. All I'm saying is it was a damn difficult play and for us to assume Poole makes that play is ridiculous.

At this point there is nothing Poole does good enough for me to sacrifice Rowdey Jordan. Not one thing. I'll also say that my guess is the majority of people asking for Poole to defensive sub don't coach or never have coached baseball or played baseball at a high level. You only see that when there is a significant difference between the two and there isn't here. Especially if we have to turn the lineup over again.

What people really should be mad at are the relay throw and the throw home. Those both were god awful. Cost us the run 100%. Not Rowdey. Ask any legitimate OF and if they tell you the truth that play gets made at best 50%, especially when you consider there's not warning track because the field is all turf.

I suppose mlb managers aren't managing at a high level bc they routinely defensive sub every day.

msstate7
06-09-2018, 02:51 PM
At any rate it's hard to criticize a player for not making a web gem of a play that a lot of MLB players would have had a hard time making. And I don't think we can just assume that Tanner Poole would have made that play. That was a really difficult play.

The point isn't that play in particular. Rowdey has shown he is an outstanding hitter (a freaking great hitter), but very shaky in the field. The situation was rowdey got the final out of the 8th, we had a 1-run lead, our best reliever on the mound, and a better defensive outfielder on the bench. To say that it is dumb to think Poole should be a defensive replacement in that situation is crazy. Is it the right move? Maybe, maybe not... who knows? To say someone should be banned for even suggesting it is ridiculous

Dawg61
06-09-2018, 02:59 PM

This is when you dig in like a tick. I hate defensive subs unless you got Salvy Perez playing CF with Andruw Jones on the bench. We need our best 9 hitters in the lineup if we're gonna keep winning this year. We aren't gonna magically become a good defensive team late in games no matter who we put in.

MetEdDawg
06-09-2018, 03:17 PM
I suppose mlb managers aren't managing at a high level bc they routinely defensive sub every day.

Those players have completely different skill sets and situational understandings. Defensive subs in the majors are usually for players who are unequivocally better on defense. That was not the case here.

This is classic case of a fan base trying to put their hands on something they don't understand. Too many damn micro managers. I swear I think some would rather be right and us lose than be wrong and us win. Why in the world would we start doing things different? Putting Poole in doesn't guarantee that play happens. 8 feet up against the wall with no warning track to help timing. It's just not a good decision. And not one damn soul on here has ever made a comment about Rowdey's defense until that play. Prisoner of the moment to judge a kid for not catching a ball that hit 8 feet up a wall.

Major league folks can do it because usually the defense is significantly better and the offense is only marginally worse. This case was the opposite. Doesn't make sense.

msstate7
06-09-2018, 03:26 PM
Those players have completely different skill sets and situational understandings. Defensive subs in the majors are usually for players who are unequivocally better on defense. That was not the case here.

This is classic case of a fan base trying to put their hands on something they don't understand. Too many damn micro managers. I swear I think some would rather be right and us lose than be wrong and us win. Putting Poole in doesn't guarantee that play happens. 8 feet up against the wall with no warning track to help timing. It's just not a good decision.

Major league folks can do it because usually the defense is significantly better and the offense is only marginally worse. This case was the opposite. Doesn't make sense.

Babble babble babble... I have repeatedly (REPEATEDLY) said the decision wasn't clear cut. To act like it dumb to even suggest it is ridiculous. The only ones saying they are right and the other side is dumb are you guys. A message board is for discussion, and I think this should be a good one. Unfortunately, one side calls the other dumb for no reason... argue on merits, not name calling and pronouncing yourself smarter than everyone

MetEdDawg
06-09-2018, 03:28 PM
Babble babble babble... I have repeatedly (REPEATEDLY) said the decision wasn't clear cut. To act like it dumb to even suggest it is ridiculous. The only ones saying they are right and the other side is dumb are you guys. A message board is for discussion, and I think this should be a good one. Unfortunately, one side calls the other dumb for no reason... argue on merits, not name calling and pronouncing yourself smarter than everyone

Where was the word dumb in my post? I feel like I'm discussing. I don't agree with your assessment. That's ok. But I never called anyone dumb.

msstate7
06-09-2018, 03:31 PM
Where was the word dumb in my post? I feel like I'm discussing. I don't agree with your assessment. That's ok. But I never called anyone dumb.

You sure didn't. I apologize. It was back in the thread where someone said posters should be banned for even suggesting Poole be a def replacement. Again, I was wrong for misquoting you... sorry

Dawg61
06-09-2018, 03:48 PM
I don't think it's accurate to just assume Pool makes that catch cause he's taller. Rowdey's height wasn't the issue. He just started to close his glove before he caught it and it clanked of the side of his glove. It's not like there's a sample size of Poole making that same type of catch over Rowdey. It's a 1 in 100,000 type of play. We won't see a similar one till 2028.

MetEdDawg
06-09-2018, 03:59 PM
You sure didn't. I apologize. It was back in the thread where someone said posters should be banned for even suggesting Poole be a def replacement. Again, I was wrong for misquoting you... sorry

Thank you. I at least understand the argument. I just think the play looked at under a microscope is one that a lot of OF wouldn't make. Tough play.

Todd4State
06-09-2018, 04:12 PM
The point isn't that play in particular. Rowdey has shown he is an outstanding hitter (a freaking great hitter), but very shaky in the field. The situation was rowdey got the final out of the 8th, we had a 1-run lead, our best reliever on the mound, and a better defensive outfielder on the bench. To say that it is dumb to think Poole should be a defensive replacement in that situation is crazy. Is it the right move? Maybe, maybe not... who knows? To say someone should be banned for even suggesting it is ridiculous

Again, it's probably not the right move because of how close our games are and the fact we seem to play in extra innings a lot. But I'm not going to call out a player's defense as being shaky because he didn't make a play on a ball that probably had about a 20% chance or less of being caught in the first place followed by two bad relay throws.

And I didn't call anyone dumb or say anyone should be banned. Even though it's not the right opinion to have.