PDA

View Full Version : Vandy's own turf helped lose them the game

KOdawg1
06-09-2018, 06:56 AM
That carpet they call a field doesn't slow the ball down. Jake's hit to take the lead in the 8th and Stovall's grounder to 3rd in the 9th should've been routine outs, but thankfully resulted in guys on base and runs. It's just funny to me that their own field bit them in the ass. And Elijah MacNamee of course.

DCdawg
06-09-2018, 07:50 AM
Agreed. Their left side of the infield got a few tough hops that they probably wouldn't have on a natural surface.

Bully13
06-09-2018, 07:56 AM
Why would a southern school have carpet?

Hambone
06-09-2018, 08:12 AM
To match the drapes....

maroonmania
06-09-2018, 08:15 AM
I wish this SR was actually being played on a real baseball field. That plastic crap Vandy has with the goofy wall in left is an abomination.

KOdawg1
06-09-2018, 08:20 AM
I wish this SR was actually being played on a real baseball field. That plastic crap Vandy has with the goofy wall in left is an abomination.
Not to mention they don't have any foul territory. At all

bostondawg
06-09-2018, 08:21 AM
We also have turf in our batters box right? We gotta change that.

BulldogDX55
06-09-2018, 08:23 AM
That carpet they call a field doesn't slow the ball down. Jake's hit to take the lead in the 8th and Stovall's grounder to 3rd in the 9th should've been routine outs, but thankfully resulted in guys on base and runs. It's just funny to me that their own field bit them in the ass. And Elijah MacNamee of course.

To be fair, it probably kept them in the game as well. I would imagine that some of the miscues we had could be blamed on the turf as well.

Bully13
06-09-2018, 08:24 AM

I think so and yes, it needs to be changed.

maroonmania
06-09-2018, 08:34 AM
To be fair, it probably kept them in the game as well. I would imagine that some of the miscues we had could be blamed on the turf as well.

Without the short porch weird wall in left that Vandy 2 out fly ball in the 9th is a routine out.

MarketingBully
06-09-2018, 08:56 AM
A surface like that and a trip to Omaha on the line with the cores of freshmen on both teams is going to lead to what you saw last night.

MarketingBully
06-09-2018, 08:59 AM
I think the most egregious thing about that field is the lack of foul territory and placement of the camera wells and dugouts. Basically any airmailed throw is an automatic two base error because it goes into the dugout.

JoseBrown
06-09-2018, 09:04 AM

Don't expect that to happen anytime soon. Cohen prefers the carpet. On the radio last night he was telling Jim how much he likes it. Said it's your practice field, and you don't tear it up practicing. No seams leading to bad hops(hmmm). It always looks good.... it's not the first time I've heard him talk about preferring a carpeted field. Personally, I can't stand the stuff.

TopDawg
06-09-2018, 10:21 AM
Don't expect that to happen anytime soon. Cohen prefers the carpet. On the radio last night he was telling Jim how much he likes it. Said it's your practice field, and you don't tear it up practicing. No seams leading to bad hops(hmmm). It always looks good.... it's not the first time I've heard him talk about preferring a carpeted field. Personally, I can't stand the stuff.

Yeah, I heard that too, It bothers me . He also said that all college baseball should be played on turf.

ScoobaDawg
06-09-2018, 01:04 PM

John... you are just wrong on that. Thankfully I don't see us changing the field in the near future since we just spent so much to redo it with the rebuilding of the stadium.
I agree I wish the batters box was dirt but it does create a lot more work and prep for the game.

DawgFromOxford
06-09-2018, 01:20 PM
I get complaining about the all turf field, but if you want to complain about lack of foul room then throw Dudy Noble in there as well. The new design has 0 foul space.