PDA

View Full Version : RIP Anthony Bourdain

BeardoMSU
06-08-2018, 09:05 AM
Found in his hotel room while filming his show in France. Apparent suicide. So sad.

I've probably read Kitchen Confidential 20 times, and I've loved all of his shows, going back to A Cooks Tour. A truly important figure in the world of food, and one that helped countless others expand their culinary and cultural boundaries.

BrunswickDawg
06-08-2018, 10:01 AM
Was just trading twitter posts about this with Beast. From my perspective, Tony was one of the great storytellers and social documentarians of the past couple of decades. Food and drink is such an important part of culture and the man had a true passion for bringing those elements to the masses. His shows moved me to try more foods - but also try to do so within the context of the people who are creating it and the joy it can bring. His episode on South Carolina and going to Waffle House for the first time is maybe the best "Food TV" ever made.

One of my great memories is my one, real "Bourdainish" travel experience. Back in 2001 (pre-9/11), I got to go to Tenerife as a part of an international research partnership I was involved in. One of our hosts with the state museum agency there was married to a restaurateur. Our last day, the restaurateur decided we needed an authentic day of eating and drinking - starting with breakfast at dive in a basement; lunch up the mountainside far away from tourists to eat local rabbit dishes and drink wine; to spending the evening at his tapas bar and night club on the waterfront in Santa Cruz. We drank all night, and I left the bar literally to catch my 7:00 am flight to Madrid. I was the only non-spanish speaker in the group all day. But, I felt more at home and welcomed into what was going on then in many places I've been around the south. We communicated in single words and hand gestures, and shots, and cigars, and food. And people from the US, Brazil and Spain all belonged to shared experience we all carried home with us. Things like that are what Bourdain brought into our homes with his show, and we are all the better for it.

ETA: - Back to the Charleston episode where he goes to Waffle House. He also goes to Scotts BBQ in Hemingway, SC - which if you are ever in that area you have to go to. It is insanely good, and worth a pilgrimage all on its own.

Liverpooldawg
06-08-2018, 10:26 AM
Suicide....I'm stunned. That show was the best thing going on Television. All his shows are great, so are his books. My favorite show was the one when he was still on the travel channel where he got stuck in Lebanon during a conflict with Israel. Recently the one in West Virginia was really good. I'm going to miss that. I agree about the Waffle House segment.

Prediction? Pain.
06-08-2018, 10:46 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cX_kbIVxl_o

"Would you rather have pork chops or a T-Bone?"

"I'd like both."

I've never read his stuff, but his whole vibe was right on target. Curious, funny, insightful, unpretentious, and affable, all in the name of food, drink, and fellowship. What a shame.

TheRef
06-08-2018, 02:52 PM
Bourdain was a damn good chef and writer. He could describe and experience so truly and expressively that you felt that you were there with him. He visited Mississippi on his travels once.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x544759

IMissJack
06-08-2018, 04:20 PM

BeardoMSU
06-08-2018, 04:39 PM
Thread is also in the Bovine board.

Maybe a mod can merge the two?

The Federalist Engineer
06-08-2018, 04:57 PM
May have been something he ate

BeastMan
06-08-2018, 05:18 PM

Terrible post of the day. Congrats

BeardoMSU
06-08-2018, 05:22 PM

Wow. Go **** yourself.

Cloak
06-08-2018, 05:44 PM

Seriously, **** you.

BulldogDX55
06-08-2018, 06:11 PM

Gonna throw in the fourth **** You.

Liverpooldawg
06-08-2018, 07:05 PM

Jackass.

Bully13
06-09-2018, 08:12 AM
Loved watching his shows. Totally confused as to what was going on with him because he really seemed pumped on life and enjoyed the shit out of living. Kinda like Hemmingway.

Liverpooldawg
06-22-2018, 04:48 PM
It came out today he had no narcotics in his system, only a therapeutic level of a non-narcotic that was not named.

I just watched the show on Cajun Mardi Gras. It was one of his best. I'm going to miss that show. I'm also going to miss his twitter.