PDA

View Full Version : Both Butch and Tadlock

preachermatt83
06-07-2018, 09:41 PM
Are on this list. I'd be willing to bet. Both may say no but I'd be willing to bet both interview when the seasons over.

maroonmania
06-07-2018, 09:47 PM
Are on this list. I'd be willing to bet. Both may say no but I'd be willing to bet both interview when the seasons over.

So are we going to wait until the CWS is over to name a coach? Very good chance that Texas Tech and/or Auburn could go deep into Omaha.

KOdawg1
06-07-2018, 09:47 PM
Butch, yes. Tadlock, eh maybe. It'll be hard to pull him away from his alma mater, but he might interview with us just to see what we offer.

deadheaddawg
06-07-2018, 10:37 PM
Butch, yes. Tadlock, eh maybe. It'll be hard to pull him away from his alma mater, but he might interview with us just to see what we offer.

Or get a raise

Thick
06-07-2018, 10:45 PM
Butch is not leaving AU. There’s no pressure, and he just made a SR for the first time since ‘99. He can be the man over there w/o the pressure from a baseball AD at MSU. I highly doubt he’s interested at this point..

Dallas_Dawg
06-07-2018, 10:58 PM
I'm with Thick. Maybe IB is too intense and viewed as tough to work for.

shoeless joe
06-08-2018, 05:18 AM
Butch is not leaving AU. There’s no pressure, and he just made a SR for the first time since ‘99. He can be the man over there w/o the pressure from a baseball AD at MSU. I highly doubt he’s interested at this point..

He's interested. Doesn't mean he'll come tho. And you have pointed out some of the reasons why...but it won't be easy for him to decline if offered.

I seen it dawg
06-08-2018, 05:53 AM
I hope we make Omaha if for nothing else to make the melt roll harder that we haven't hired a coach.

messageboardsuperhero
06-08-2018, 06:41 AM
Can someone please explain to me where this narrative about our job being “high pressure” came from? When was the last time that we actually fired a head baseball coach for not getting it done on the field? It has to be over half a century ago. Cohen had three losing seasons here and still had a ton of job security. And Cohen has not been the least bit overbearing on Cannizaro or Henderson the last two years.

I’m just having a really hard time understanding why these perceptions exist. Just because we have a lot of fans doesn’t mean we have a history of firing coaches left and right.

Anonymous
06-08-2018, 07:17 AM
Butch is not leaving AU. There?s no pressure, and he just made a SR for the first time since ?99. He can be the man over there w/o the pressure from a baseball AD at MSU. I highly doubt he?s interested at this point..

Dan will never leave State for Florida, there us no pressure. He can be the man here without the pressure from that fanbase...

basedog
06-08-2018, 07:24 AM
I hope we make Omaha if for nothing else to make the melt roll harder that we haven't hired a coach.

I will drink to that! Sky isn't falling, Msu baseball will survive and be good. Book it, mark it, and remember this.

I do know what several underclass commits have stated who they want as our next HC. Interesting to hear there take and why. They seem to know a lot more than any of us. We will see if it's who Cohen has in mind.

Maroonbulldog
06-08-2018, 08:58 AM
I would not count out Butch at all- He would be a heckuva good hire. What he has done at Auburn I just 3 years is incredible. I believe he just had the overall #1 draft pick???

Auburn was awful before he got there and took them to #4 in year #2.

He has a very close relationship w Cohen. Having Cohen as a boss is an asset- not a liability. Plus he was raised close by and still has a lot of family nearby as well.

I would not count him out.

We would be lucky to have him- he just doesn’t have the head experience as a Corbin Schloss or Tadlock folks are clamoring for

preachermatt83
06-08-2018, 09:11 AM
I would not count out Butch at all- He would be a heckuva good hire. What he has done at Auburn I just 3 years is incredible. I believe he just had the overall #1 draft pick???

Auburn was awful before he got there and took them to #4 in year #2.

He has a very close relationship w Cohen. Having Cohen as a boss is an asset- not a liability. Plus he was raised close by and still has a lot of family nearby as well.

I would not count him out.

We would be lucky to have him- he just doesn’t have the head experience as a Corbin Schloss or Tadlock folks are clamoring for

I just can't believe anyone wouldn't want butch as the HC. He's a phenomenal coach and great recruiter. Pair his ability to coach pitchers with Geatreau's coaching of hitters along with having both recruiting. It would be a home run. Maybe not the grandslam of a Mac or Schloss or Tadlock but he would def be a winner here. A whole lot better than Godwin or Henderson.

DownwardDawg
06-08-2018, 09:28 AM

Lol. Me too!!! This melt is epic!!! I hope we make Omaha and whoever we hire will get us there again next year. Henderson has us 2 wins away from Omaha. Think about that.

DownwardDawg
06-08-2018, 09:30 AM
Dan will never leave State for Florida, there us no pressure. He can be the man here without the pressure from that fanbase...

Hahaha!!! Well played.

BankerDog
06-08-2018, 09:40 AM
Butch hasn't been contacted nor does he want the job from what I have heard. Tadlock, on the other hand, is a different story.

Thick
06-08-2018, 09:41 AM

Dan’s all about Dan.....24/7. We had donors quit giving to football, and ask for their contributions to be redistributed to other sports bc Dan was incapable of carrying on a conversation that was not about him. UF will get exactly what they paid for in Dan, a lazy recruiter that cannot win the BIG game.

TALL DAWG
06-08-2018, 09:42 AM
Lol. Me too!!! This melt is epic!!! I hope we make Omaha and whoever we hire will get us there again next year. Henderson has us 2 wins away from Omaha. Think about that.

This may sound crazy but whoever IB hires I wish they would keep Henderson on
for at least 1 yr as an assistant to see how it works out. I like having a good seasoned
coach with younger coaches. Thank goodness IB had Henderson on staff when Canz
could not get off his phone!

KB21
06-08-2018, 09:42 AM
I just can't believe anyone wouldn't want butch as the HC. He's a phenomenal coach and great recruiter. Pair his ability to coach pitchers with Geatreau's coaching of hitters along with having both recruiting. It would be a home run. Maybe not the grandslam of a Mac or Schloss or Tadlock but he would def be a winner here. A whole lot better than Godwin or Henderson.

He also knows pitching talent:
Chris Stratton - MLB
Kendall Graveman - MLB
Jonathan Holder - MLB
Brandon Woodruff - MLB
Chad Girodo -- MLB, currently in AAA
Jacob Lindgren -- MLB
Ben Bracewell -- AAA
Evan Mitchell -- AAA
Dakota Hudson -- AAA
Zac Houston -- AAA
Austin Sexton -- Adv A

Cooterpoot
06-08-2018, 09:45 AM
Butch would take the job if our search ended up in the ditch in a few weeks. But that's the only way he'd do it IMO. I can't see Tadlock leaving home.
As for pressure, that comes when you have the kind of support and money put into a program like we do.

sleepy dawg
06-08-2018, 09:46 AM
I will drink to that! Sky isn't falling, Msu baseball will survive and be good. Book it, mark it, and remember this.

I do know what several underclass commits have stated who they want as our next HC. Interesting to hear there take and why. They seem to know a lot more than any of us. We will see if it's who Cohen has in mind.

This is what I don't get too. We have a coach right now that everyone thinks is just garbage and he's got us in a super regional. If we're making supers with shitty coaches, then I think we're in pretty good shape even if our hire turns out to be a B+ hire instead of an A+. As long as we have coaches on staff that are recruiting we won't fall behind. And as long as we don't end up where Polk left us when Cohen took over, we'll be fine for the next guy.

Saltydog
06-08-2018, 10:58 AM
him, his wife does not want to return to Starkville.

shoeless joe
06-08-2018, 11:05 AM
This is what I don't get too. We have a coach right now that everyone thinks is just garbage and he's got us in a super regional. If we're making supers with shitty coaches, then I think we're in pretty good shape even if our hire turns out to be a B+ hire instead of an A+. As long as we have coaches on staff that are recruiting we won't fall behind. And as long as we don't end up where Polk left us when Cohen took over, we'll be fine for the next guy.

Our current coach isn't garbage...despite what many here have spewed. He's not the greatest of all time either. But he is a knowledgeable, grounded, veteran communicator that is willing to make adjustments for the good of the program and the individuals playing. Many would like to gloss over those facts but it is what it is.

Percho
06-08-2018, 11:10 AM

I'm with you fellers!

Percho
06-08-2018, 11:17 AM
Our current coach isn't garbage...despite what many here have spewed. He's not the greatest of all time either. But he is a knowledgeable, grounded, veteran communicator that is willing to make adjustments for the good of the program and the individuals playing. Many would like to gloss over those facts but it is what it is.

I think his greatest asset is his calm demeanor.

DownwardDawg
06-08-2018, 11:50 AM
I think his greatest asset is his calm demeanor.

He took over an impossible situation and has us in a Super. I don’t see anyone else doing any better than that.

Goldendawg
06-08-2018, 11:59 AM
Butch is not leaving AU. There?s no pressure, and he just made a SR for the first time since ?99. He can be the man over there w/o the pressure from a baseball AD at MSU. I highly doubt he?s interested at this point..

I agree. I live on the Ms/Al line and read an article on Butch and the AU program while my son and a friend ate in an Al burger joint. The paper was from the Tri-Cities area. Butch has rebuilt the AU program his way and it is his. They too are in the SR, had the #1 pitcher picked in the draft (I think), and are built for the future. AU will not let $ stand in the way of him leaving. I see no way we "flip" him unless he developed a real love for all things MSU and wants to return. Will be shocked if we get him. Disclaimer: The above post is totally "JMHO" and I have no inside sources except what I read on this board.*** Hail State!

NWADAWG
06-08-2018, 12:15 PM
He took over an impossible situation and has us in a Super. I don?t see anyone else doing any better than that.

First of all, I don't want Henderson to be our next coach. But, if he did at a non-SEC P5 school what he did here this year, we would all be talking about him differently. We would only know the results, and not all of the shenanigans that happened along the way.

deltadawg99
06-08-2018, 12:25 PM
How is Butch as recruiter? He?s done a really good job at Auburn and did a great job with out pitchers.

As long as he kept Gatreau as the hitting coach, it could be a really good hire, assuming he can redeyit

shoeless joe
06-08-2018, 12:28 PM
How is Hutch as recruiter? He’s done a really good job at Auburn and did a great job with out pitchers.

As long as he kept Gatreau as the hitting coach, it could be a really good hire, assuming he can redeyit

Elite...that's his calling card.

I'm admittedly very pro butch...whether he ends up here or not. He's a good guy that will have you absolutely fired up about the game after just 5 minutes in the room with him.

Dawg61
06-08-2018, 12:29 PM

Omaha is the MSU job interview convention.

confucius say
06-08-2018, 01:06 PM

Assuming we can't get Tadlock, would you rather have Butch and lose JG or Hindu and keep JG?

Dawg61
06-08-2018, 01:09 PM
Butch ain't coming fellas. I drank my coffee and had an epiphany. Move on from Butch. He's Auburn's coach and he has them relevant again with zero pressure.

DownwardDawg
06-08-2018, 01:29 PM
At this point, I hope it’s Henderson. The meltdown will be epic and he’ll do just as good as any of the others. I have this season as proof.

preachermatt83
06-08-2018, 03:47 PM
Omaha is the MSU job interview convention.

I like it!!

basedog
06-08-2018, 04:39 PM
Butch is from Aberdeen. Never say never. Auburn as a history for Coaches ain't an easy thing, they will fire your ass in a heart beat. Msu has way more job security compared to Auburn. Auburn ain't a baseball school, Msu is a baseball school, Big difference, plus Auburn being in the west like us means someone like Butch understands. He also respects IB and vice versus, Just saying.

DownwardDawg
06-08-2018, 04:42 PM
Butch is from Aberdeen. Never say never. Auburn as a history for Coaches ain't an easy thing, they will fire your ass in a heart beat. Msu has way more job security compared to Auburn. Auburn ain't a baseball school, Msu is a baseball school, Big difference, plus Auburn being in the west like us means someone like Butch understands. He also respects IB and vice versus, Just saying.

Butch would walk to Starkville tonight if offered the job. He’s ours IF we want him.

Bdawg
06-08-2018, 04:43 PM
At this point, I hope it’s Henderson. The meltdown will be epic and he’ll do just as good as any of the others. I have this season as proof.

I do not believe he will be as good as any of the others. Not sure what kind of recruiter he is either. That looked like Cann and JG department to me. He may have kept the team together this year but Cohen had him set up at Kentucky and you see where he is now. I don't think Cohen will give him the keys to this kingdom after he saw Henderson lose his job at KY. I know I wouldn't. We deserve better after some of the head scratchers I saw come from Henderson in the dugout this year. Without one swing of the bat in the regional, we were staring at 0-2 and headed home.

basedog
06-08-2018, 04:49 PM
I do not believe he will be as good as any of the others. Not sure what kind of recruiter he is either. That looked like Cann and JG department to me. He may have kept the team together this year but Cohen had him set up at Kentucky and you see where he is now. I don't think Cohen will give him the keys to this kingdom after he saw Henderson lose his job at KY. I know I wouldn't. We deserve better after some of the head scratchers I saw come from Henderson in the dugout this year. Without one swing of the bat in the regional, we were staring at 0-2 and headed home.

"Without one swing of the bat in the regional, we were staring at 0-2 and headed home."
That's baseball! LOL

Saltydog
06-08-2018, 04:54 PM
Butch's wife doesn't want to return here and I'll leave it at that.

basedog
06-08-2018, 05:00 PM
Butch's wife doesn't want to return here and I'll leave it at that.

My bad on where he is from, my son n law grew up around him, btw for the record, I'm not saying he would come nor would he not. I do know he is in a tough place to survive the long haul, I wish him well as I've been told he is a great guy and kids love him.

Bdawg
06-08-2018, 05:02 PM
"Without one swing of the bat in the regional, we were staring at 0-2 and headed home."
That's baseball! LOL

Yes it is and I'm certainly glad he hit it. But that one swing of the bat all of sudden doesn't make Henderson a better coach and a better prospect to get the job imo. That's really the point of that statement.

basedog
06-08-2018, 05:08 PM
Yes it is and I'm certainly glad he hit it. But that one swing of the bat all of sudden doesn't make Henderson a better coach and a better prospect to get the job imo. That's really the point of that statement.

I have no problem with what you say except the one swing cause baseball has many strange happenings.

We gonna be good in baseball.

shoeless joe
06-08-2018, 06:19 PM

Just like if he did not make that swing it shouldn't negate the job he did to get us to the regional or the ability he ended up showing to make it thru. He didn't all of a sudden become a good coach the last 3 games of the regional. And all the folks goin on and on about how it was gotro, who took a step back and allowed that to happen?? I may disagree with some in game strategy but his ability to lead thru adversity should not be questioned. And baseball is a game of overcoming adversity.

preachermatt83
06-08-2018, 07:02 PM
Butch would walk to Starkville tonight if offered the job. He?s ours IF we want him.

I tend to agree with this

fader2103
06-08-2018, 10:58 PM
Can someone please explain to me where this narrative about our job being “high pressure” came from? When was the last time that we actually fired a head baseball coach for not getting it done on the field?.

Well we don?t know if Cann did it on the field or not, so........

gravedigger
06-08-2018, 11:45 PM

I don?t think he?ll leave AU either, but know that he and his family love Starkville. He will not dismiss the offer. I?m not speculating either.