PDA

View Full Version : Ethan Small to pitch Game 1

BrickCityDawgs
06-07-2018, 04:25 PM
Pilkington Game 2 and Billingsley if necessary in Game 3.

We are 2-0 in Super Regionals where we win Game 1 and 0-5 when we lose. I have to give Gary credit for having the guts to make a switch.

bostondawg
06-07-2018, 04:27 PM
It just feels like we have to play both game 1 and game 2... so why switch the pitchers of those two games from their typical role?

Big4Dawg
06-07-2018, 04:28 PM
It just feels like we have to play both game 1 and game 2... so why switch the pitchers of those two games from their typical role?

To save your bullpen.

Bulldog1
06-07-2018, 04:31 PM
Great move to pitch Small game 1.

BrickCityDawgs
06-07-2018, 04:33 PM

In my opinion, Small has been the best starter we've had for a few weeks in what you can expect. He has been solid and always gives us a chance to win. Super Regionals rarely go 2 games. The team that wins game one plays extremely loose in Game 2 because they know all the pressure is on the other side. Once game 2 gets going, the team that won game 1 usually starts to "feel" it and closes it out. Small gives us the best chance to be in that position so why not let him start Game 1 and have an excellent option in Plilkington still to either send us to Omaha or try to force Game 3.

preachermatt83
06-07-2018, 04:35 PM

Yup!!

Tbonewannabe
06-07-2018, 04:38 PM
Hopefully Pilk goes out and has a great outing now that the draft is behind him.

DawgFromOxford
06-07-2018, 04:55 PM
If we drop game one with Small pitching, you are putting a lot of pressure on a guy who has given up his fair share of runs recently to come through and save you in game 2... Risky.
On the flip side if you win the first game your odds of winning the super greatly increase. Big risk, Big reward.
We weren't supposed to make it this far anyways, so I'm all in on the switch. Go big or go home.

MaroonFlounder
06-07-2018, 05:35 PM
The best combo for a win is Small for 6+ innings and Self finishing up. Against any opponent.

shoeless joe
06-07-2018, 05:59 PM
Gotro obviously made this decision

msstate7
06-07-2018, 06:15 PM
Gotro obviously made this decision

Once we know how it works, credit will be issued to Gautreau or blame to Henderson haha

I seen it dawg
06-07-2018, 06:35 PM
Pilkington Game 2 and Billingsley if necessary in Game 3.

We are 2-0 in Super Regionals where we win Game 1 and 0-5 when we lose. I have to give Gary credit for having the guts to make a switch.

This isn't a schloss is done deal is it?

MarketingBully
06-07-2018, 06:36 PM
So maybe by not naming a coach Henderson will coach the game of his life out there. He passed the first test by pitching Small now the ultimate test will be first guy we need to see out of the pen is France/Self in that order. If Small gets really far then just Self.

MarketingBully
06-07-2018, 06:37 PM
Once we know how it works, credit will be issued to Gautreau or blame to Henderson haha

Pitching moves are all Hendo.

Bulldog1
06-07-2018, 06:38 PM
This isn't a schloss is done deal is it?

https://media.giphy.com/media/X9qgnRo7y2D2U/giphy.gif

sleepy dawg
06-07-2018, 07:04 PM
I'd say it would've been a b*tch move to not start Small. I think we're the better team and I hope the our team thinks we're the better team. We're showing our confidence by playing our best pitcher game 1. We're in this to win it and we're coming out swinging. We're not the same team we were in the first weekend of league play. It's payback time.

Dawg61
06-07-2018, 07:07 PM
Billingsley & Gordon on Sunday night

https://media.giphy.com/media/3XiQswSmbjBiU/giphy.gif

MarketingBully
06-07-2018, 07:18 PM
I'd say it would've been a b*tch move to not start Small. I think we're the better team and I hope the our team thinks we're the better team. We're showing our confidence by playing our best pitcher game 1. We're in this to win it and we're coming out swinging. We're not the same team we were in the first weekend of league play. It's payback time.

My hope is we get the disinterested Vandy. They have been a very Jekyll and Hyde type of team this year.

yjnkdawg
06-07-2018, 07:35 PM
I hope we can get enough innings out of Small to just hopefully use Self to finish out and win the first game. France is more than likely going to be needed in that second game, but hopefully Pilk will have his best game of the season and be more accurate, and minimize his pitch count. Another option is to pitch France as the starting pitcher, in the second game, but that wouldn't be fair to Pilk, unless it was due to an injury.

LoneStarDawg
06-07-2018, 07:40 PM
I like it! I’m just ready for 1st pitch!

The Federalist Engineer
06-07-2018, 07:48 PM
Henderson is acting like he wants to coach next year - in Starkville

yjnkdawg
06-07-2018, 07:52 PM
Henderson is acting like he wants to coach next year - in Starkville

Actually I think our coaches and players are trying to prove the naysayers wrong with their commitment and goal of playing in the CWS.

baddmann
06-07-2018, 07:56 PM

Indeed

TALL DAWG
06-07-2018, 08:21 PM
If we drop game one with Small pitching, you are putting a lot of pressure on a guy who has given up his fair share of runs recently to come through and save you in game 2... Risky.
On the flip side if you win the first game your odds of winning the super greatly increase. Big risk, Big reward.
We weren't supposed to make it this far anyways, so I'm all in on the switch. Go big or go home.

Lot of pressure on Pilk?? He was a 3rd round draft pick
and he?s older than Small. Plus, He should be able to handle pressure
as he has matched up with other teams aces all yr on Friday night starts.

maroonmania
06-07-2018, 08:50 PM
Our best 3 starters right now are Small, France and Billingsley. I wish we would pitch those 3 and use Pilk in relief. I feel like by starting Pilk we are trying not to hurt anyone's feelings more than trying to do what is best for the team.

Dawg61
06-07-2018, 09:10 PM
Our best 3 starters right now are Small, France and Billingsley. I wish we would pitch those 3 and use Pilk in relief. I feel like by starting Pilk we are trying not to hurt anyone's feelings more than trying to do what is best for the team.

It's less risky to have France come in twice in relief than Pilk.

TALL DAWG
06-07-2018, 09:22 PM

Good points.

Todd4State
06-07-2018, 09:48 PM
I would have started Small and France and then Pilkington.

maroonmania
06-07-2018, 09:55 PM
To save your bullpen.

Really, if its about the best use of your bullpen its probably better to pitch Small in the middle game. Much easier for your best relief guys to pitch on both Friday and Sunday than to potentially have to pitch both Saturday and Sunday.

the59dawg
06-07-2018, 10:03 PM
I hope we can get enough innings out of Small to just hopefully use Self to finish out and win the first game. France is more than likely going to be needed in that second game, but hopefully Pilk will have his best game of the season and be more accurate, and minimize his pitch count. Another option is to pitch France as the starting pitcher, in the second game, but that wouldn't be fair to Pilk, unless it was due to an injury.

I would be all for starting France in game 2 also.