PDA

View Full Version : Will Sammon say re coaching search

confucius say
06-07-2018, 03:05 PM
Job has not been offered to anyone yet despite some receiving interest.

Job wasn't offered to anybody yet bc Cohen wants to interview guys whose teams are still playing.

Pool of candidates is down to 6, with at least two still coaching in supers.

Cohen said public ally that he wanted a coach with cws experience. "However, Cohen never specifically said that he was referring to someone who has coached in the cws as a head coach; he never ruled out someone being a candidate that had only had experience in Omaha as an assistant"

If linking is allowed, feel free.

ShotgunDawg
06-07-2018, 03:24 PM
Please read this pinned tweet by Dan Wolken

https://twitter.com/danwolken/status/778322554880679936 (https://twitter.com/danwolken/status/778322554880679936?s=21)

-embedded tweet- Scooba

KB21
06-07-2018, 03:36 PM
Coaches who are still going:

Kevin O'Sullivan/Florida (not happening)
Pat Casey/Oregon State (not happening)
David Pierce/Texas
Butch Thompson/Auburn
Steve Trimper/Stetson
Tim Corbin/Vanderbilt (not happening)
Tim Tadlock/Texas Tech (not happening)
Lindsay Meggs/Washington
John Anderson/Minnesota
Matt Bragga/Tennessee Tech
Mark Kingston/South Carolina
Dave Van Horn/Arkansas
Mike Fox/North Carolina
Chris Pollard/Duke
Ryan Vanderhook/Cal State Fullerton
Gary Henderson/Mississippi State

Statefan
06-07-2018, 03:41 PM

David Pierce/Texas
Butch Thompson/Auburn
Steve Trimper/Stetson
Lindsay Meggs/Washington
John Anderson/Minnesota
Dave Van Horn/Arkansas
Mike Fox/North Carolina
Chris Pollard/Duke

Hmmmm

preachermatt83
06-07-2018, 03:42 PM

David Pierce/Texas
Butch Thompson/Auburn
Steve Trimper/Stetson
Lindsay Meggs/Washington
John Anderson/Minnesota
Dave Van Horn/Arkansas
Mike Fox/North Carolina
Chris Pollard/Duke

I like Chris pollard

LibraryDawg
06-07-2018, 03:42 PM
Deleted because someone beat me to it.

KB21
06-07-2018, 03:46 PM
It's very odd to not see Virginia still playing at this time.

Ifyouonlyknew
06-07-2018, 04:04 PM
Tadlock is still a candidate.

louisvilledawg
06-07-2018, 04:05 PM
I like Chris pollard

I feel like you didn't know who Chris Pollard was a week ago and now you like him.

Thought you were all over the Tim Tadlock stuff?

KB21
06-07-2018, 04:14 PM
Tadlock is still a candidate.

It's a long shot at best, IMO. He's at his alma mater, and he's already turned down the Texas job.

Jack Lambert
06-07-2018, 04:18 PM
It's a long shot at best, IMO. He's at his alma mater, and he's already turned down the Texas job.

Have you ever been to Lubbock?

Ifyouonlyknew
06-07-2018, 04:21 PM

Oh I'm not saying he's the guy just that he's still on the list.

preachermatt83
06-07-2018, 04:22 PM
I feel like you didn't know who Chris Pollard was a week ago and now you like him.

Thought you were all over the Tim Tadlock stuff?

All I know about him is what I've researched and watching him coach the last few weeks but from that I'm impressed. I'll say this, until Tadlock says no I'm riding that ship til it sinks. He's been my #1 choice for months.

Tbonewannabe
06-07-2018, 04:22 PM

Doesn't he have a clause in his contract that prevents him from going to another Big12 school? I am not saying he is leaving his alma mater for MSU but that isn't the same thing. It amazes me that someone wouldn't want to double their salary if they are actually offered the job. I guess they are comfortable where they are.

preachermatt83
06-07-2018, 04:26 PM
Doesn't he have a clause in his contract that prevents him from going to another Big12 school? I am not saying he is leaving his alma mater for MSU but that isn't the same thing. It amazes me that someone wouldn't want to double their salary if they are actually offered the job. I guess they are comfortable where they are.

Yes he does have that clause.. and this is a great post. Rep given.

Cooterpoot
06-07-2018, 04:28 PM
Butch Thompson/Auburn
Steve Trimper/Stetson
Tim Tadlock/Texas Tech
Chris Pollard/Duke

Bout all I could see there.

WeWonItAll(Most)
06-07-2018, 04:28 PM

Didn't he (or maybe it was Schloss) outright say that trying to be the coach to follow up Augie Gariddo was a losing game.

KOdawg1
06-07-2018, 04:30 PM
Rick Vanderhook is a name I haven't seen mentioned a lot; 2 CWS appearances and has been in the tournament every year he's been there. Not saying he's a top choice of mine, but he fits the criteria

bostondawg
06-07-2018, 04:30 PM
All I know about him is what I've researched and watching him coach the last few weeks but from that I'm impressed. I'll say this, until Tadlock says no I'm riding that ship til it sinks. He's been my #1 choice for months.

I'm with preach here. You make Tadlock tell you no, Cohen. He's a damn good baseball coach.

Tbonewannabe
06-07-2018, 04:32 PM
Rick Vanderhook is a name I haven't seen mentioned a lot; 2 CWS appearances and has been in the tournament every year he's been there. Not saying he's a top choice of mine, but he fits the criteria

Does he play the small ball/defense/pitching game? It seems like Cal St Fullerton wins all their games 2-1.

Jarius
06-07-2018, 04:32 PM
Job has not been offered to anyone yet despite some receiving interest.

Job wasn't offered to anybody yet bc Cohen wants to interview guys whose teams are still playing.

Pool of candidates is down to 6, with at least two still coaching in supers.

Cohen said public ally that he wanted a coach with cws experience. "However, Cohen never specifically said that he was referring to someone who has coached in the cws as a head coach; he never ruled out someone being a candidate that had only had experience in Omaha as an assistant"

If linking is allowed, feel free.

The job wasn’t offered to anyone else because they told him they didn’t want the job. We didn’t tell Schlossnagle or McDonnell to hold on for anyone.

preachermatt83
06-07-2018, 04:33 PM
I'm with preach here. You make Tadlock tell you no, Cohen. He's a damn good baseball coach.

He sure is. And he may very well say no but I can't picture him saying no to 1.75mil when he's making 700k.

Tbonewannabe
06-07-2018, 04:36 PM
The job wasn’t offered to anyone else because they told him they didn’t want the job. We didn’t tell Schlossnagle or McDonnell to hold on for anyone. That’s absolutely ludicrous to suggest.

Or Cohen wants to explore all options and hasn't concluded all the interviews that he wants before making a decision. It also could have been a matter of what kind of money would it take to leave the school and Cohen didn't want to go that high. Schloss is the highest paid coach and McDonnell isn't far behind, I think. Maybe he thinks he could get Tadlock or someone else for 1-1.2 and both wanted 2 Mil, who knows.

Everything is purely a guessing game at this point.

Jarius
06-07-2018, 04:38 PM
Or Cohen wants to explore all options and hasn't concluded all the interviews that he wants before making a decision. It also could have been a matter of what kind of money would it take to leave the school and Cohen didn't want to go that high. Schloss is the highest paid coach and McDonnell isn't far behind, I think. Maybe he thinks he could get Tadlock or someone else for 1-1.2 and both wanted 2 Mil, who knows.

Everything is purely a guessing game at this point.

It’s only a guessing game to MSU fans. Everyone else knows we have been turned down by our top 3 options.

KB21
06-07-2018, 04:43 PM
It’s only a guessing game to MSU fans. Everyone else knows we have been turned down by our top 3 options.

Cliff Godwin was not one of the top 3 options.

Jarius
06-07-2018, 04:44 PM
Cliff Godwin was not one of the top 3 options.

No, he was he 4th option that turned us down. When we hire some mid major or up and coming assistant maybe everyone will finally get it. Some will still deny anyone turned us down. Who am I to ruin someone’s maroon cool-aid....

KB21
06-07-2018, 05:10 PM
No, he was he 4th option that turned us down. When we hire some mid major or up and coming assistant maybe everyone will finally get it. Some will still deny anyone turned us down. Who am I to ruin someone’s maroon cool-aid....

Whatever nonsensical made up crap that you want to think.

dawgs
06-07-2018, 05:26 PM
Whatever nonsensical made up crap that you want to think.

I for one won't believe we made an assistant or a mid-major up-and-comer our #1 choice over proven P5 HCs with multiple CWS appearances. Maybe we didn't "offer" them the job, but all parties involved knew it was available for the taking, just say the right word.

smootness
06-07-2018, 07:20 PM
It's very odd to not see Virginia still playing at this time.

It?s been 4 years since Virginia was in a SR.

Bully13
06-07-2018, 07:40 PM
17 Vaginea*** Literally. and we have , literally,

Turfdawg67
06-07-2018, 08:39 PM

You seem hell bent it on it... we get your bitterness, quit posting the same shit in every thread. You haven't changed anyone's mind or vice versa.

Homedawg
06-07-2018, 09:03 PM
No, he was he 4th option that turned us down. When we hire some mid major or up and coming assistant maybe everyone will finally get it. Some will still deny anyone turned us down. Who am I to ruin someone?s maroon cool-aid....

Just false....

Pit Bull
06-07-2018, 09:18 PM

Vanderhook is an outstanding coach and might entertain the possibility of taking the MSU job. If we could get him on that coffee weight reduction stuff everyone is so fond of here, he might fit into our dugout. Always has good pitching, good defense, and enough hitting to get the job done. I would be good with him.

Jarius
06-07-2018, 09:37 PM
You seem hell bent it on it... we get your bitterness, quit posting the same shit in every thread. You haven't changed anyone's mind or vice versa.

Or I will continue to call out people that think we told the best 3 coaches in baseball to hold on for other interviews and you will sit there and read it and get over it the same way you?ve been doing every other time I posted it.

Jarius
06-07-2018, 09:39 PM
Just false....

Don’t stop believin

msstate7
06-07-2018, 09:59 PM
Did I read here that Cohen said he would name our new coach the day after his season ended or did someone misquote Cohen?

KOdawg1
06-07-2018, 10:02 PM
Did I read here that Cohen said he would name our new coach the day after his season ended or did someone misquote Cohen?

Man, I don't know who said what or what to believe anymore. I'm so ready for this coaching search to be over. The health of people around here will certainly improve.

confucius say
06-07-2018, 10:20 PM
Or I will continue to call out people that think we told the best 3 coaches in baseball to hold on for other interviews and you will sit there and read it and get over it the same way you?ve been doing every other time I posted it.

You cannot really believe we offered Cliff 17n Godwin the job before talking to Tadlock? Hell, even before Butch.

Bama_Dawg
06-08-2018, 06:57 AM
I honesty believe no one outside of a handful (if not less) of people in our Athletic Department know what's going on. I also fully believe this is a great opportunity for BB coaches to play the Football coach game...name drop that someone is interested and try to get a pay bump...a big one.

Hell, at this point guys if Cohen announced Buck Showalter as coach, I wouldn't be surprised. Speculation is fun, but at this point...I'm over it.

Sienfield
06-08-2018, 07:12 AM
I can say I turned down the job but doesn't make it so. I don't think anyone is ruled out at this point unless they have extended their contracts where they are at. Coaches say no all the time and end up being the new coach. JMHO

Tbonewannabe
06-08-2018, 07:41 AM
You cannot really believe we offered Cliff 17n Godwin the job before talking to Tadlock? Hell, even before Butch.

Exactly, Godwin didn't turn down the job. Cohen might have reached out to him to ask if he was interested but I doubt it got to the point of offering him the job. Unless Cohen just feels like the guy is "The guy" then he probably wants to interview everyone on his list. I could see Schloss, McDonnell, or Corbin being the guy. Godwin seems like a good coach but he hasn't done anything special at East Carolina. He has just kept that program to the level it has been. I would honestly roll the dice on an up coming assistant if Cohen thinks it is the right move.

Godwin = Mingione.

Todd4State
06-08-2018, 07:59 AM
I'm pretty sure that Godwin was only floated out by his buddy Kendall Rogers to make him look good. Rogers is literally the only person I've heard mention Godwin.

basedog
06-08-2018, 08:06 AM
I'm pretty sure that Godwin was only floated out by his buddy Kendall Rogers to make him look good. Rogers is literally the only person I've heard mention Godwin.

You may be right, no Coach wants to sit around and hope he gets the job IF he indeed did get interviewed and wasn't told by Cohen he is the man. Pretty much a smokescreen, happens more often than not.

3rdGen
06-08-2018, 08:11 AM

Tadlock! Tadlock! He?s our man, if Cohen would put 2mil in his hand! Base salary that is!

http://www.google.com/amp/s/247sports.com/college/mississippi-state/Article/Texas-Tech-head-baseball-coach-Tim-Tadlock-considered-an-A-coach-by-MLB-scouts-117218499/Amp

Todd4State
06-08-2018, 09:01 AM
You may be right, no Coach wants to sit around and hope he gets the job IF he indeed did get interviewed and wasn't told by Cohen he is the man. Pretty much a smokescreen, happens more often than not.

I would think most coaches would understand that with our team still playing why we would wait though.

Usually teams looking for a new coach are done playing now.

preachermatt83
06-08-2018, 09:14 AM

+1

preachermatt83
06-08-2018, 09:17 AM
Tadlock! Tadlock! He?s our man, if Cohen would put 2mil in his hand! Base salary that is!

http://www.google.com/amp/s/247sports.com/college/mississippi-state/Article/Texas-Tech-head-baseball-coach-Tim-Tadlock-considered-an-A-coach-by-MLB-scouts-117218499/Amp

I been beating this horse for months now!! I don't care if he's at his alma mater or not... he ain't gonna turn down double the money

Really Clark?
06-08-2018, 09:46 AM
I been beating this horse for months now!! I don't care if he's at his alma mater or not... he ain't gonna turn down double the money

He very well might because you are forgetting the other party at the negotiating table, Texas Tech. I could see him easily turning down another school with a good pay bump to stay at his home school.

ETDawg
06-08-2018, 09:51 AM
He very well might because you are forgetting the other party at the negotiating table, Texas Tech. I could see him easily turning down another school with a good pay bump to stay at his home school.

But then it would no longer be a double the money bump, if he gets a good pay bump

Really Clark?
06-08-2018, 10:09 AM
But then it would no longer be a double the money bump, if he gets a good pay bump

It would be at the time of the offer. How can it not be double his salary based on his salary this year? We don’t know beforehand what they are willing to go up to.

He gets our offer then he goes to Texas Tech to see what they will do. Just a lot a people assume he gets a big offer from us and that is that, he just jumps on that offer because it’s double the money. Let’s say he gets $1.4 MIL offer from us (assuming his salary is only $700,000 with no bonus for their success which could change what we would have to offer initially as well), Texas Tech comes back with $1.2 MIL for home town discount. You can very easily see him turn us down at that point. Then do you want to get into a bidding war? Double it again to $2.4 MIL? I don’t know what he will do, but to state he won’t turn us down on a double his salary offer is shortsighted.

Tbonewannabe
06-08-2018, 10:17 AM
It would be at the time of the offer. How can it not be double his salary based on his salary this year? We don’t know beforehand what they are willing to go up to.

He gets our offer then he goes to Texas Tech to see what they will do. Just a lot a people assume he gets a big offer from us and that is that, he just jumps on that offer because it’s double the money. Let’s say he gets $1.4 MIL offer from us (assuming his salary is only $700,000 with no bonus for their success which could change what we would have to offer initially as well), Texas Tech comes back with $1.2 MIL for home town discount. You can very easily see him turn us down at that point. Then do you want to get into a bidding war? Double it again to $2.4 MIL? I don’t know what he will do, but to state he won’t turn us down on a double his salary offer is shortsighted.

True, you don't know what Texas Tech is willing to pay. Isn't Schloss or McDonnell the highest paid in the country around 1.2 - 1.5 Mil? It comes down to if the school thinks paying a coach for a non revenue sport that kind of money is worth it. Not every school will be like us in baseball with that level of support.

ETDawg
06-08-2018, 10:22 AM

Original premise was that he would leave if pay was double which implies extra 700K if his pay was 700K. Matter of semantics, I guess. But if he is making 700K and MSU offers 1400K but TTU ups his pay to 1200K, he is only turning down ultimately 200K. Difference between 1.4 and 1.2.

I will just watch and let it play out. I trust Cohen and what I think/believe/want makes absolutely no difference. I am just along for the ride.

dawgs
06-08-2018, 01:21 PM
True, you don't know what Texas Tech is willing to pay. Isn't Schloss or McDonnell the highest paid in the country around 1.2 - 1.5 Mil? It comes down to if the school thinks paying a coach for a non revenue sport that kind of money is worth it. Not every school will be like us in baseball with that level of support.

Bingo. That's why I'd go back the McDonnell and Schlossnagle with a $2M/year contract in hand and dare then to turn it down/dare their athletic department to pay a non-revenue (for them) coach that much money.