PDA

View Full Version : Should we redouble our efforts on Schloss and/or McDonnell?

Quaoarsking
06-07-2018, 01:51 PM
Yes. Keep going back to them with better and better offers until one just can't say no. Don't give up and don't settle for a lesser choice.

Neither TCU or Louisville has our SEC money, our stadium, or our fanbase. Eventually one of them will crack and take the job.

Remember how Alabama didn't take a "no" from Saban.

BeardoMSU
06-07-2018, 01:54 PM
That could get embarrassing....

https://media2.giphy.com/media/9jtwN98vV3RBu/giphy.gif

...unless it worked, of course.

MarketingBully
06-07-2018, 01:55 PM
I’d go full guns a blazing at Schlossnagle. He’d be more likely to leave then McDonnell. Just my opinion though.

Jack Lambert
06-07-2018, 01:59 PM
The thing about Schoss is his personal situation. Wasn't there a rumor about infidelity. He might not be in a position to move.

dawgs
06-07-2018, 02:01 PM
I'd offer a contract for $2M/year and make them walk away. If they walk away add $200K to it until they sign.

Cooterpoot
06-07-2018, 02:03 PM
Yall gettin' crazy now.

TrapGame
06-07-2018, 02:03 PM
The thing about Schoss is his personal situation. Wasn't there a rumor about infidelity. He might not be in a position to move.

And that may be why he took his name out of the hat. Just a thought.

dawgs
06-07-2018, 02:06 PM
Yall gettin' crazy now.

If they win, it'd pay for itself many times over. I'd rather overpay for a natty than pay market rate for 2 seeds and road super regional losses.

MSU338
06-07-2018, 02:07 PM
I believe this is going to be the only way John Cohen saves face with MSU fans. If he doesn't hire a top tier coach he will have fans questioning him and his abilities till he retires and probably after that. He needs to throw 2.5 million if need be. What is 2.5 million on a HC when you spent 60mill plus on a stadium. Let Cohen work a few years for free since he is the one that got himself in this mess.

Quaoarsking
06-07-2018, 02:09 PM
You can't tell me they would both turn down $3M a year to be our coach.

msstate7
06-07-2018, 02:14 PM

That's more than Moorhead. Is Howland making that? Think we getting a little crazy now

WeWonItAll(Most)

What about $4M?

msstate7
What about $4M?

2.5 each as co-coaches

Bulldog1
06-07-2018, 02:18 PM
That's more than Moorhead. Is Howland making that? Think we getting a little crazy now

Pretty sure Howland makes like $2.5M

confucius say
06-07-2018, 02:20 PM
I think it's quite possible that Schloss was the guy. That's why Cohen made statements like he did. That's why their AD said no comment and that TCU would persevere. That's why Sarloos was rumored to be promoted. That's why Schloss was rumored to be contacting our recruits already (Commerce).

I think smn happened at the 11th hour to cause it to fall apart. My guess is the infidelity rumors.

The Federalist Engineer
06-07-2018, 02:26 PM
Yes. Keep going back to them with better and better offers until one just can't say no. Don't give up and don't settle for a lesser choice.

Neither TCU or Louisville has our SEC money, our stadium, or our fanbase. Eventually one of them will crack and take the job.

Remember how Alabama didn't take a "no" from Saban.

This is were courting becomes staking and good guys end up in meetings with HR

MedDawg
06-07-2018, 02:33 PM

Sounds like a good reason TO move. It's not like the other woman would ride with him and his wife on the jet we sent to pick him up.

yjnkdawg
06-07-2018, 02:37 PM

LOL Why not just tell one of them we are going to pay them what Nick Saban makes and be done with it. Cohen will pay top dollar for one of his top targets, but definitely not over pay by about $1.2 million to get to your $3 million salary.

ScoobaDawg
06-07-2018, 02:37 PM
It really seems something happened with Schloss and it wasn't money if we all believe the rumors. Either we screwed up and told him to wait, we moved on for some reason, or he talked it over and decided he wanted to stay where he was.
We might never know the truth. Especially if it's John's fault.

Johnson85
06-07-2018, 02:40 PM
I really don't get the panic people are letting set in. We are not going to end up with a "Pruitt" unless we have insane fans that scare off coaches by doing things like publicly smearing their character. We may not end up getting one of the top 5 head coaches from teh country to leave their current position at another power 5 school, but holy shit people. We haven't even offered a Schiano yet. Until we offer Hendo the job, or at the very least least until Tadlock and Butch publicly pull their name out of the running, step away from the ledge.

yjnkdawg
06-07-2018, 02:40 PM
It really seems something happened with Schloss and it wasn't money if we all believe the rumors. Either we screwed up and told him to wait, we moved on for some reason, or he talked it over and decided he wanted to stay where he was.

Steve said on the Bone Yard yesterday that he had some more information on the Schloss situation, but he didn't want to comment until after we had a coach.

yjnkdawg
06-07-2018, 02:46 PM
I believe this is going to be the only way John Cohen saves face with MSU fans. If he doesn't hire a top tier coach he will have fans questioning him and his abilities till he retires and probably after that. He needs to throw 2.5 million if need be. What is 2.5 million on a HC when you spent 60mill plus on a stadium. Let Cohen work a few years for free since he is the one that got himself in this mess.

You can take it to the bank that Cohen is not going to pay $2.5 million for a baseball head coach.

msstate7
06-07-2018, 02:49 PM
I really don't get the panic people are letting set in. We are not going to end up with a "Pruitt" unless we have insane fans that scare off coaches by doing things like publicly smearing their character. We may not end up getting one of the top 5 head coaches from teh country to leave their current position at another power 5 school, but holy shit people. We haven't even offered a Schiano yet. Until we offer Hendo the job, or at the very least least until Tadlock and Butch publicly pull their name out of the running, step away from the ledge.

If I don't like the coach leaking out, I'm saying he was tied up in the Larry Nassar deal.

Not really... just making this more Tennessee like

yjnkdawg
06-07-2018, 02:56 PM
Yall gettin' crazy now.

+1

yjnkdawg
06-07-2018, 02:59 PM
I'd offer a contract for $2M/year and make them walk away. If they walk away add $200K to it until they sign.

I'm glad you aren't our athletic director, and you probably would still be trying to find that $200,000 donation too.

Quaoarsking
06-07-2018, 03:09 PM
You can take it to the bank that Cohen is not going to pay $2.5 million for a baseball head coach.

Well then we need to stop having such ambitious expectations for our program.

Quaoarsking
06-07-2018, 03:10 PM
I'm glad you aren't our athletic director, and you probably would still be trying to find that $200,000 donation too.

$200K is a tiny fraction of our SEC Network check. If that makes the difference in a home run hire and a ho hum hire, its worth every penny.

sleepy dawg
06-07-2018, 03:57 PM
If I don't like the coach leaking out, I'm saying he was tied up in the Larry Nassar deal.

Not really... just making this more Tennessee like

This is America today.

Dawg61
06-07-2018, 04:05 PM
This week makes me miss football recruiting time and I despise football recruiting.

dawgs
06-07-2018, 05:28 PM
$200K is a tiny fraction of our SEC Network check. If that makes the difference in a home run hire and a ho hum hire, its worth every penny.

Yep, would pay for itself many times over if we get a guy in here that finally starts winning natties and hosting regionals and supers more years than not.

Dawg61
06-07-2018, 05:33 PM
Yep, would pay for itself many times over if we get a guy in here that finally starts winning natties and hosting regionals and supers more years than not.

Wasn't aware we can just buy natty's.

deadheaddawg
06-07-2018, 05:50 PM
These infidelity rumors are stupid. 2 reasons.

1) don't spread sh*t like that unless you know for sure. The guy has kids in high school and college. It's embarrassing to see our fans do it and it feels of sour grapes.

2) basic infidelity is no reason to not hire someone. As long as he isn't breaking the law or sleeping with coworkers or students it would be dumb as hell not to hire a coach like that for something so common

Bonus point. Why hasn't TCU fired him if it's bad enough for us not to hire him?

Stop spreading bullshit rumors like this. Every single person that has brought it up doesn't have a clue if it's true or not. It's a harmful rumor and you are spreading because you got your feelings hurt he turned us down

CadaverDawg
06-07-2018, 05:52 PM

I'm with Johnson

Bully13
06-07-2018, 05:58 PM
I hardly ever get inside info but I did on the Schloss deal. I firmly believe something 17'd up at the end based on what I was told here in Fort Worth. It was a done deal. Think about something else now too. Just think how 17'd Schloss is right now. Prolly pretty 17'd right now if you ask me.

yjnkdawg
06-07-2018, 05:59 PM

That is $200,000 added on to the $2,000,000 so that is $2.2 million. He also said that he would keep offering the $200,000 until it was accepted. That's pretty much why I made the donation comment. Because he would probably be still looking for the donation. Ya'll are throwing football head coaching type salaries out here. Cohen knows what is realistic on top dollar for a head baseball coach.

This is taken from the Louisville Rivals Site in June, 2016 - "Louisville gave McDonnell a 10-year extension on his existing contract and will pay him $1 million in base salary. The contract also includes several retention bonuses, including a $150,000 payment if McDonnell stays at U of L through next summer. He will receive another $150,000 bonus if he's still at U of L in 2020, and then the bonus drops to $100,000 every two years after that, beginning in 2022 and running through 2026.

Now of course he is going to probably receive a "little" extra in his pay check because he was "interested" in our job.

Bully13
06-07-2018, 06:06 PM
Even if you average 10k a game, once you start paying a baseball coach 1.5M plus, you are getting less ROI by far out of the big 3.

yjnkdawg
06-07-2018, 06:08 PM
I hardly ever get inside info but I did on the Schloss deal. I firmly believe something 17'd up at the end based on what I was told here in Fort Worth. It was a done deal. Think about something else now too. Just think how 17'd Schloss is right now. Prolly pretty 17'd right now if you ask me.

Steve said on the Bone Yard yesterday, that he would have some information on this after we actually have hired a coach.

dawgs
06-07-2018, 06:09 PM
That is $200,000 added on to the $2,000,000 so that is $2.2 million. He also said that he would keep offering the $200,000 until it was accepted. That's pretty much why I made the donation comment. Because he would probably be still looking for the donation. Ya'll are throwing football head coaching type salaries out here. Cohen knows what is realistic on top dollar for a head baseball coach.

This is taken from the Louisville Rivals Site in June, 2016 - "Louisville gave McDonnell a 10-year extension on his existing contract and will pay him $1 million in base salary. The contract also includes several retention bonuses, including a $150,000 payment if McDonnell stays at U of L through next summer. He will receive another $150,000 bonus if he's still at U of L in 2020, and then the bonus drops to $100,000 every two years after that, beginning in 2022 and running through 2026.

Now of course he is going to probably receive a "little" extra in his pay check because he was "interested" in our job.

According to this board, Louisville didn't even charge admission for baseball until this season.

yjnkdawg
06-07-2018, 06:09 PM
I'm with Johnson

I'm with Johnson and you also.

dawgs
06-07-2018, 06:10 PM
Even if you average 10k a game, once you start paying a baseball coach 1.5M plus, you are getting less ROI by far out of the big 3.

College sports aren't for profit business where we are looking to maximize our income.

dawgs
06-07-2018, 06:15 PM

You can ensure the gap between what you are projecting and what you know is as small as possible. If we know a guy can take garabage programs like tcu, Louisville, and Texas tech from the dumpster to the CWS multiple times, it's not a stretch to see them being able to get us over the hump and finally winning a natty. If we hire an assistant, the gap between what we want from a guy and what we know about a guy is pretty vast. That's not to say he can't get us what we want, but there's just a lot more of a gamble there.

Dawg61
06-07-2018, 06:32 PM
You can ensure the gap between what you are projecting and what you know is as small as possible. If we know a guy can take garabage programs like tcu, Louisville, and Texas tech from the dumpster to the CWS multiple times, it's not a stretch to see them being able to get us over the hump and finally winning a natty. If we hire an assistant, the gap between what we want from a guy and what we know about a guy is pretty vast. That's not to say he can't get us what we want, but there's just a lot more of a gamble there.

Be patient. Your frustrations will be gone soon if you can manage to not jump off a building before then.

Quaoarsking
06-07-2018, 07:36 PM

You can't, but you can "buy" finishing at or near the top of the SEC standings year after year and hosting Regionals and Super Regionals regularly.

Omaha is an 8-way crapshoot, but if you consistently have good teams, and you're consistently getting there, you're going to win some. I want a coach that consistently puts us in the mix.

preachermatt83
06-07-2018, 09:48 PM

Post more!! Rep given.

preachermatt83
06-07-2018, 09:50 PM
If they win, it'd pay for itself many times over. I'd rather overpay for a natty than pay market rate for 2 seeds and road super regional losses.

Rep given

preachermatt83
06-07-2018, 09:54 PM
These infidelity rumors are stupid. 2 reasons.

1) don't spread sh*t like that unless you know for sure. The guy has kids in high school and college. It's embarrassing to see our fans do it and it feels of sour grapes.

2) basic infidelity is no reason to not hire someone. As long as he isn't breaking the law or sleeping with coworkers or students it would be dumb as hell not to hire a coach like that for something so common

Bonus point. Why hasn't TCU fired him if it's bad enough for us not to hire him?

Stop spreading bullshit rumors like this. Every single person that has brought it up doesn't have a clue if it's true or not. It's a harmful rumor and you are spreading because you got your feelings hurt he turned us down

This all day!! Just stop. It's harmful and dumb.

MSU338
06-07-2018, 10:07 PM

What will the ROI be on a 60 mill stadium if you screw this hire up and put a crappy product on the field with no fan support?

Quaoarsking
06-07-2018, 10:14 PM
If we want to be an elite program, we hire McDonnell or Schloss. There is a number that will get one of them here, and we need to give it to them.

Remember how much our annual budget has increased thanks to SEC Network $$. We can use a little of that on baseball and lock in an elite coach.

msstate7
06-07-2018, 10:18 PM
If we want to be an elite program, we hire McDonnell or Schloss. There is a number that will get one of them here, and we need to give it to them.

Remember how much our annual budget has increased thanks to SEC Network $$. We can use a little of that on baseball and lock in an elite coach.

Florida hired an assistant and became/stayed elite.

Vandy hired an assistant and became elite.

Louisville hired an assistant and became elite.

Tcu hired a coach at a small school and became elite .

We don't have to hire an established elite coach to be elite. We just have to find the right guy, and surround him with good coaches... we have 1 already in Gautreau

Quaoarsking
06-07-2018, 10:34 PM

We don't have to hire an established elite coach to be elite. We just have to find the right guy, and surround him with good coaches... we have 1 already in Gautreau

Yeah and a whole more schools made similar choices and didn't become elite.

Maybe we can get lucky and hire the next elite coach, but if we go that route we're a lot more likely to find someone who's just good, or worse. I'd rather just get a coach we know is one of the absolute best, instead of getting one we hope might be.

deadheaddawg
06-07-2018, 10:34 PM
What will the ROI be on a 60 mill stadium if you screw this hire up and put a crappy product on the field with no fan support?

Our stadium cost isn't extreme. 3 other power 5 schools have announced new stadiums recently that I have seen.

Oklahoma State $60 million
Florida $50 million
Kentucky $50 million

I don't know how we got as much bang for our bucks as we did, because our stadium will be much nicer, but the cost really isn't some crazy big number

msstate7
06-07-2018, 10:49 PM

Maybe we can get lucky and hire the next elite coach, but if we go that route we're a lot more likely to find someone who's just good, or worse. I'd rather just get a coach we know is one of the absolute best, instead of getting one we hope might be.

We aren't trying to go from garbage to elite. We are a very good program right now. We are playing for a ticket to the CWS with a guy Kentucky fired...

yjnkdawg
06-07-2018, 11:20 PM

Nope and the SEC/ESPN Football TV contracts , Bowl Games, etc. are what brings almost all the SEC money in. I think JoeMo is maybe $1.6 million ? I'm not sure on that.

MarketingBully
06-07-2018, 11:43 PM

Based on what?s out there right now, I bet we asked him to wait. I do know TCU put pressure on him last weekend to make a decision due to the draft and them wanting to finalize something with Saarloos due to the Rice situation. That to me makes the most sense. We can?t expect a big time name like Schlossnagle to wait unless we have a deal in place in principle and we have assured him that he?s our guy and we aren?t continuing to interview candidates. The fact of the matter is Cohen is not and was not going to name a coach until our season ended and he has continued to interview people as coaches seasons have come to an end. But like I said I?m done with this search until a coach is named. PR wise it?s a nightmare and makes us look bad to have three rejections and our team is still playing in the super regionals. I think I?ll just concentrate on us possibly making Omaha rather then this cluster...

MarketingBully
06-07-2018, 11:48 PM
We aren't trying to go from garbage to elite. We are a very good program right now. We are playing for a ticket to the CWS with a guy Kentucky fired...

In all honesty, we could win at a high consistent level with these targets: Butch Thompson with Gautreau, Monte Lee keeping Gautreau and getting an elite pitching coach, Tim Tadlock, and Kirk Saarloos with Gautreau. Three of those options are supposedly our top targets. There are still a number of targets out there that would win and keep us winning consistently at a high level.

Todd4State
06-07-2018, 11:57 PM

This all day. And yes, I would go back and offer them again. Everyone has a number.

Also- it's a negotiating tactic. How many of us have turned down a job initially only to have the job come back and offer more money? Or bought a car and did the walk out to try to get the dealer to lower the price?

Todd4State
06-08-2018, 12:00 AM
In all honesty, we could win at a high consistent level with these targets: Butch Thompson with Gautreau, Monte Lee keeping Gautreau and getting an elite pitching coach, Tim Tadlock, and Kirk Saarloos with Gautreau. Three of those options are supposedly our top targets. There are still a number of targets out there that would win and keep us winning consistently at a high level.

The thing is we are already good. Three SR's in a row show that. We need someone with an attitude similar to Cohen's to win a NC IMO. That's my main reason for not wanting Butch. I don't think it's a coincidence that Cohen took us further than any of our other coaches in Omaha. I just wish he had taken over a better situation instead of having to do a massive rebuild and start out behind the eight ball or his tenure would have been even better.

Dawg61
06-08-2018, 12:15 AM
Nope and the SEC/ESPN Football TV contracts , Bowl Games, etc. are what brings almost all the SEC money in. I think JoeMo is maybe $1.6 million ? I'm not sure on that.

Moorhead makes around $2.3. He asked for less pay for himself so he could offer more for the assistants.

Todd4State
06-08-2018, 12:52 AM
Moorhead makes around $2.3. He asked for less pay for himself so he could offer more for the assistants.

I think it's very likely he gets a raise. We were willing to pay Dan I think 4-5 million and I don't think we're breaking the bank on the current assistants that we have even if Joe took a paycut for the assistants. Grantham was paid pretty well- maybe a million? I can't remember.

We're probably going to save a lot of money with our football coaches and have a good chance of getting better results.

The Federalist Engineer
06-08-2018, 12:56 AM
I think it's quite possible that Schloss was the guy. That's why Cohen made statements like he did. That's why their AD said no comment and that TCU would persevere. That's why Sarloos was rumored to be promoted. That's why Schloss was rumored to be contacting our recruits already (Commerce).

I think smn happened at the 11th hour to cause it to fall apart. My guess is the infidelity rumors.

I'm a law of parsimony guy but it makes me wonder if the TCU version of Lee Begley wrecked our Schlossnagle move - that would be some incredibly bad luck in one year, like losing a near entire class of pitchers to TJ

MarketingBully
06-08-2018, 12:59 AM
I think it's very likely he gets a raise. We were willing to pay Dan I think 4-5 million and I don't think we're breaking the bank on the current assistants that we have even if Joe took a paycut for the assistants. Grantham was paid pretty well- maybe a million? I can't remember.

We're probably going to save a lot of money with our football coaches and have a good chance of getting better results.

The most exciting assistant coach JoMo got imo was Huff. He’s one of the top recruiters in the country and was the best recruiter that Franklin had. So glad we got him.

Todd4State
06-08-2018, 01:08 AM
The most exciting assistant coach JoMo got imo was Huff. He’s one of the top recruiters in the country and was the best recruiter that Franklin had. So glad we got him.

I like everyone on the staff even Shoop. Getsy is an elite WR coach and Huff is a great coach as you said. Hud can recruit. Marcus Johnson is a huge upgrade. We know what we are getting with T-Buck and Baker. I like Lembaku as well and I think he is a big reason why we are in the game with Nakobe Dean. I like having Joey Jones on ST as a former Sun Belt HC and then we have Boniol who is an elite kicking coach.

preachermatt83
06-08-2018, 05:02 AM

$2.6

I seen it dawg
06-08-2018, 05:55 AM

This kills me to type.....this is the voice of reason in this god awful thread.

I seen it dawg
06-08-2018, 05:58 AM
We've made 3 straight supers with 3 different HC while enduring not being able to use our field for 6 months this yr and the HC quitting...I'd say we are doing ok

Quaoarsking
06-08-2018, 07:16 AM
We've made 3 straight supers with 3 different HC while enduring not being able to use our field for 6 months this yr and the HC quitting...I'd say we are doing ok

We are doing ok, but our fans deserve more than ok. We could be an elite program if we hire Schloss or McDonell. We could also be an elite program if we hire someone else, but the probability is a lot lower.

There is an $$ number that will get one of those two coaches to come to Starkville, and Cohen needs to offer it.

Quaoarsking
06-08-2018, 07:17 AM
This kills me to type.....this is the voice of reason in this god awful thread.

Right, it's "godawful" to want the best coach out there for the best baseball fanbase out there.**

Give me a break.

smootness
06-08-2018, 12:33 PM
Heck it?s not my money. Give them $15 million.

preachermatt83
06-08-2018, 01:05 PM
Right, it's "godawful" to want the best coach out there for the best baseball fanbase out there.**

Give me a break.

Agree

Cooterpoot
06-08-2018, 02:52 PM
People who settle are never truly happy.

MarketingBully
06-08-2018, 03:52 PM
We aren’t going after Schloss again and he didn’t drop out because of his lack of interest. I also think people slamming people on here due to not being right about Schloss don’t know the whole story. Cohen met with Schloss and his wife over the weekend and let’s just say that Cohen was the one who put a kabash on the deal and I don’t blame him. I’m going to trust whoever Cohen selects because he will pick whoever’s best for MSU. Now we have a series to win this weekend to get to Omaha and I say let’s focus on that and not the search.

Bdawg
06-08-2018, 03:54 PM
We have plenty of money to get it done if we use some of the money we were going to pay Mullen to stay. I sure hope Cohen didn't screw around and lose Schloss just because we were still playing. That would be major blunder in tenure as AD imo.

MarketingBully
06-08-2018, 04:00 PM
We have plenty of money to get it done if we use some of the money we were going to pay Mullen to stay. I sure hope Cohen didn't screw around and lose Schloss just because we were still playing. That would be major blunder in tenure as AD imo.

He didn’t lose Schloss cause we are still playing.

Bdawg
06-08-2018, 04:15 PM
He didn’t lose Schloss cause we are still playing.

Sure hope not. He shouldn't let any elite coach get away just because we are playing. But if I'm not mistaken, our CL beat writer said he wouldn't name a coach till we were done.

Bdawg
06-08-2018, 04:20 PM
We aren’t going after Schloss again and he didn’t drop out because of his lack of interest. I also think people slamming people on here due to not being right about Schloss don’t know the whole story. Cohen met with Schloss and his wife over the weekend and let’s just say that Cohen was the one who put a kabash on the deal and I don’t blame him. I’m going to trust whoever Cohen selects because he will pick whoever’s best for MSU. Now we have a series to win this weekend to get to Omaha and I say let’s focus on that and not the search.

Well if Schloss wasn't the man and Cohen squashed it, then I trust he had good reason. I just feel like it's our time to step up to the plate and hire an elite guy to go with our elite stadium.

Quaoarsking
06-08-2018, 04:42 PM

Well, if that's true we should still be going after McDonnell unceasingly

Bdawg
06-08-2018, 04:47 PM
Well, if that's true we should still be going after McDonnell unceasingly

I agree. But maybe it's Tadlock and we just don't know it.