PDA

View Full Version : Cliff Godwin to stay put at ECU

bostondawg
06-07-2018, 11:48 AM
https://snag.gy/BtkOnF.jpg

bostondawg
06-07-2018, 11:51 AM
However, Robbie Faulk is saying that Godwin probably wasn't formally offered the job--this could just be a salary ploy by Godwin and Kendall Rogers is being a mouthpiece.

mparkerfd20
06-07-2018, 11:51 AM
Yay! I'm actually ecstatic about this one. I did NOT want Godwin.

MarketingBully
06-07-2018, 11:53 AM
He wants the Ole Miss job when Bianco retires I think.

mparkerfd20
06-07-2018, 11:54 AM
I never thought he was that big of a candidate for us anyway. Cohen sure is helping a lot of guys get raises tho.

Cooterpoot
06-07-2018, 12:04 PM
I've tried to tell everybody Rogers is selling these guys. Rogers is being used, not Cohen.

msstate7
06-07-2018, 12:06 PM
I've tried to tell everybody Rogers is selling these guys. Rogers is being used, not Cohen.

You don't think Cohen pursued schloss and McDonnell?

KB21
06-07-2018, 12:06 PM

Don't Rogers and Godwin have a previous connection as well? If I'm not mistaken, Godwin is the reason Rogers has had his nose buried up OM's rear end for a while now.

KB21
06-07-2018, 12:09 PM

I don't doubt he pursued them to see what their interest was in actually leaving, but hiring either one was a long shot at best and not because we are poor ole Mississippi State.

College baseball coaches are a lot more loyal than coaches in other sports, particularly when they are at a program that have built.

msstate7
06-07-2018, 12:10 PM
We really need lane kiffin to start trolling us on Twitter like he did Tennessee during their search**

Whether we pursued Godwin or not, this looks awful for us to be shot down publicly 3 times in a week.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
06-07-2018, 12:10 PM
Don't Rogers and Godwin have a previous connection as well? If I'm not mistaken, Godwin is the reason Rogers has had his nose buried up OM's rear end for a while now.

You don't know what the hell you are talking about...Rogers appears pretty unbiased to me. You are reaching hard

msstate7
06-07-2018, 12:12 PM
I don't doubt he pursued them to see what their interest was in actually leaving, but hiring either one was a long shot at best and not because we are poor ole Mississippi State.

College baseball coaches are a lot more loyal than coaches in other sports, particularly when they are at a program that have built.

I think Cohen thought he had schloss. There was a ton of smoke, but it just fell apart on his visit. Now Cohen is scrambling, but no elite coach will take a job after an elite one shot down the job publicly.

KB21
06-07-2018, 12:15 PM
I think Cohen thought he had schloss. There was a ton of smoke, but it just fell apart on his visit. Now Cohen is scrambling, but no elite coach will take a job after an elite one shot down the job publicly.

There was a ton of agent driven smoke around Jeremy Pruitt as well.

Cooterpoot
06-07-2018, 12:15 PM

Not what I'm saying. I'm saying Kendall has been selling Godwin to everybody for a long time. He helped the other two out dropping their names.

Cooterpoot
06-07-2018, 12:16 PM

I think you're right.

msstate7
06-07-2018, 12:17 PM
There was a ton of agent driven smoke around Jeremy Pruitt as well.

So you think these 3 shot us down publicly, but they were never really pursued?

Liverpooldawg
06-07-2018, 12:20 PM
We really need lane kiffin to start trolling us on Twitter like he did Tennessee during their search**

Whether we pursued Godwin or not, this looks awful for us to be shot down publicly 3 times in a week.
No it doesn't.

GreenheadDawg
Man this is really embarrassing for our program. We are looking equally as ridiculous as UT.

Cowbell
This 100%. He has probably doubled his income in the last 60 days.

msstate7
06-07-2018, 12:23 PM
No it doesn't.

Come on mane... 3 guys have turned us down in the media in 4 days. Who knows if all the offers were real or not, but no one is investigating that... just taking it at face value. We all laughed at tenn, but now nothing to laugh at now bc it's us.

MagicDawg
06-07-2018, 12:23 PM
1. Henderson has shown he can steer the ship capably after a goof by the previous captain.
2. Cohen has multiple regionals, super regionals, and a CWS finals pedigree.
3. Ergo, they will just switch jobs next year and everything is solved.

/sarcasm

dickiedawg
06-07-2018, 12:24 PM
I don't believe for one second that we went after Godwin with both barrels and got shot down.
We could have tripled his reported $270,000 salary without a thought, and if we really thought he was the right guy he could have walked out with a 500% raise or more.
I know money is not the only factor. But I'm saying there's no way he turned that down if we offered it.

KOdawg1
06-07-2018, 12:29 PM
I don't believe for one second that we went after Godwin with both barrels and got shot down.
We could have tripled his reported $270,000 salary without a thought, and if we really thought he was the right guy he could have walked out with a 500% raise or more.
I know money is not the only factor. But I'm saying there's no way he turned that down if we offered it.

This. Godwin doesn't have that much loyalty to ECU.

Tbonewannabe
06-07-2018, 12:31 PM

Exactly, I know Godwin played there but if Cohen sticks to his previous statement of paying top tier then we would be offering over $1 Mil. A normal person isn't turning that down.

MarketingBully
06-07-2018, 12:32 PM

Then the man should have been in Fort Worth last week and flew Schlossnagle to Starkville and sealed this shit up last Wednesday instead of being in Sandestin the whole week. If he had done even the least bit of courting, we wouldn?t be doing this and have three coaches shoot us down.

sandwolf
06-07-2018, 12:44 PM
We all laughed at tenn, but now nothing to laugh at now bc it's us.

This search hasn't been anything like Tennessee's football coaching search……not even close.

Liverpooldawg
06-07-2018, 12:45 PM
Come on mane... 3 guys have turned us down in the media in 4 days. Who knows if all the offers were real or not, but no one is investigating that... just taking it at face value. We all laughed at tenn, but now nothing to laugh at now bc it's us.

People turn down job offers all the time man. Chill out.

Activated Alpha
06-07-2018, 12:48 PM
Then the man should have been in Fort Worth last week and flew Schlossnagle to Starkville and sealed this shit up last Wednesday instead of being in Sandestin the whole week. If he had done even the least bit of courting, we wouldn?t be doing this and have three coaches shoot us down.

That's what gets me the most upset. If we were heavily considering Schloss and were primed to make an offer then you go grab his ass and sell the shit out of MState. Don't sit on your hands and let the moment slip away.

dawgs
06-07-2018, 12:48 PM
This is as embarrassing as it gets from the one program we should be able to take immense pride in.

MarketingBully
06-07-2018, 12:50 PM
People turn down job offers all the time man. Chill out.

Schloss had genuine interest. McDonnell imo really didn’t. I think Schloss didn’t feel like he was the number 1 target so he pulled out.

MarketingBully
06-07-2018, 12:50 PM
That's what gets me the most upset. If we were heavily considering Schloss and were primed to make an offer then you go grab his ass and sell the shit out of MState. Don't sit on your hands and let the moment slip away.

Imo he did. That’s the big failure here.

Dawg61
06-07-2018, 12:52 PM
I guess I am the lone wolf now but I still got faith Cohen has his man and has had him for awhile. Reason we don't know who it is yet is because the season isn't over. It's why he wasn't in Fort Worth.

msstate7
06-07-2018, 12:52 PM
This is as embarrassing as it gets from the one program we should be able to take immense pride in.

Nah man, every program gets shot down publicly 3 times in 4 days after having to fire a coach for cheating on his wife. No shame in our game... thank God, we actually perform well on the field or this would be much worse

Dawg61
06-07-2018, 12:57 PM
Nah man, every program gets shot down publicly 3 times in 4 days after having to fire a coach for cheating on his wife. No shame in our game... thank God, we actually perform well on the field or this would be much worse

You care about what other fans think too much

dawgs
06-07-2018, 12:59 PM

I do because what fans think plays into what recruits think, and what recruits think materially impacts your ability to land the types of players we need to win a long overdue natty.

God help us if we underachieve next year with whoever ends up being the coach.

msstate7
06-07-2018, 01:00 PM

Probably so. I liked laughing at how tenn and Florida had to settle though. I don't like being laughed at for having to do the same

Dawg61
06-07-2018, 01:02 PM
Probably so. I liked laughing at how tenn and Florida had to settle though. I don't like being laughed at for having to do the same

We don't have the full story yet. Patience.

CarolinaDawgs
06-07-2018, 01:03 PM

Not even close. College Football Culture has coaches jump form P5 to P5 schools all the time. That is not the case in College Baseball culture, which is to go after promising P5 assistants. Of course, that might be too logical for Chicken Little to understand. We at least had the balls to go out and do what hasn't been done. I love that.

msstate7
06-07-2018, 01:05 PM
Not even close. College Football Culture has coaches jump form P5 to P5 schools all the time. That is not the case in College Baseball culture, which is to go after promising P5 assistants. Of course, that might be too logical for Chicken Little to understand. We at least had the balls to go out and do what hasn't been done. I love that.

There's no shame in 2 of the 3. This one is embarrassing though. Who knows if the offer was real, but it looks real when 2 others already said no this week

dawgs
06-07-2018, 01:06 PM

We can offer support and facilities that no one else can match in baseball. In football, there's 20+ programs that can offer the support and facilities that Florida and Tennessee can bring to the table. Football tv money has leveled the playing field across a lot of the P5 programs out there. Baseball doesn't have the universal support across a majority of programs like football. We actually offer something unique in baseball, a program that can actually pay for itself. Lots of teams have nice lockerrooms and big stadiums in CFB.

dawgs
06-07-2018, 01:09 PM
Cohen needs to go lay a contract for $2M/year in front of schloss and McDonnell and dare them to walk away from it. If they hesitate, ask them how much more they'd need to sign on the dotted line. Bama "overpaid" to get Saban to reconsider and his salary pays for itself many times over every single season. We hire a guy that makes us a consistent National seed and CWS participant and wins us a natty and $5M/year would be a bargain based on the ability of our baseball program to generate money at a rate exponentially higher than tcu and Louisville and pretty much everyone else except LSU could even dream about.

Dawg61
06-07-2018, 01:13 PM
This one is embarrassing though.

It's not embarrassing if you don't let it be.

https://media.giphy.com/media/d3mlE7uhX8KFgEmY/giphy.gif

dawgs
06-07-2018, 01:16 PM
It's not embarrassing if you don't let it be.

https://media.giphy.com/media/d3mlE7uhX8KFgEmY/giphy.gif

Is that what you say about trump? Ha. (You know I'm embarrassed by him too)

Dawg61
06-07-2018, 01:16 PM
Cohen needs to go lay a contract for $2M/year in front of schloss and McDonnell and dare them to walk away from it. If they hesitate, ask them how much more they'd need to sign on the dotted line. Bama "overpaid" to get Saban to reconsider and his salary pays for itself many times over every single season. We hire a guy that makes us a consistent National seed and CWS participant and wins us a natty and $5M/year would be a bargain based on the ability of our baseball program to generate money at a rate exponentially higher than tcu and Louisville and pretty much everyone else except LSU could even dream about.

You're drunk. Joe Maddon and Bruce Bochy make $5 mill a year.

https://www.boydsbets.com/highest-paid-mlb-mangers/

KB21
06-07-2018, 01:17 PM
Let's look at the recent baseball hires in the SEC:

Alabama 2018 -- Brad Bohannan, assistant coach at Auburn
Tennessee 2018 -- Tony Vitello, assistant coach at Arkansas
South Carolina 2018 -- Mark Kingston, head coach at South Florida
Mississippi State 2017 -- Andy Cannizaro, assistant coach at LSU
Kentucky 2017 -- Nick Mingione, assistant coach Mississippi State
Auburn 2016 -- Butch Thompson, assistant coach at Mississippi State
Auburn 2014 -- Sonny Golloway, head coach at Oklahoma
Georgia 2014 -- Scott Stricklin, head coach at Kent State
South Carolina 2013 -- Chad Holbrook, assistant coach at South Carolina
Tennessee 2012 -- Dave Serrano, head coach at Cal State Fullerton

It's interesting that the one guy from a traditionally elite program in Cal State Fullerton, Dave Serrano, was a complete wash out in the SEC. The majority of the hires have been assistants.

KB21
06-07-2018, 01:19 PM
We can offer support and facilities that no one else can match in baseball. In football, there's 20+ programs that can offer the support and facilities that Florida and Tennessee can bring to the table. Football tv money has leveled the playing field across a lot of the P5 programs out there. Baseball doesn't have the universal support across a majority of programs like football. We actually offer something unique in baseball, a program that can actually pay for itself. Lots of teams have nice lockerrooms and big stadiums in CFB.

None of that matters in college baseball.

Bulldog1
06-07-2018, 01:26 PM
I'm convinced Cohen's got his guy.

Really Clark?
06-07-2018, 01:28 PM
Anybody comparing this to the TN football search has forgotten that complete cluster of search that also included the AD being suspended and Fat Phil taking over during the middle and the whole Greg Scianio debacle of an agreement to hire.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.knoxnews.com/amp/903434001

KB21
06-07-2018, 01:35 PM
https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/top-10-college-baseball-assistant-coaches-2018/

The top four guys on this list would all be very strong choices.

Irondawg
06-07-2018, 01:36 PM
Anybody comparing this to the TN football search has forgotten that complete cluster of search that also included the AD being suspended and Fat Phil taking over during the middle and the whole Greg Scianio debacle of an agreement to hire.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.knoxnews.com/amp/903434001

Agree - some of y'all have let paranoia set in big time. For all we know Cohen has somebody locked down already. Anytime a big opening happens in any sport there are always coaches that come out and say they aren't leaving if there name was in any way associated with the opening on rumor mills. Mullen was the exception, but this is how it plays out at most schools. And we've already long established that most baseball coaches don't move around that much so I would expect nothing less than flurry of notices that they intend to stay.

And I'm also not ready to jump on the bandwagon that Cohen botched it with Schloss. I'm not even sure he was offered the job. We're going to have to suck it up and wait until Sunday/Monday because honestly the only thing that's probably going to come out between now on then is another coach or two saying he's staying put.

shoeless joe
06-07-2018, 01:41 PM
Many a poster is acting the EXACT same way that ole miss fans get made fun of for acting

msstate7
06-07-2018, 01:44 PM
https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/top-10-college-baseball-assistant-coaches-2018/

I've wanted Kirk Saarloos since I checked him out yesterday. Saarloos and Gautreau would be quite the duo

dawgs
06-07-2018, 01:45 PM
Many a poster is acting the EXACT same way that ole miss fans get made fun of for acting

If OM held every attendance record in football and supported their football program in unprecedented numbers, we would make fun of them. They have average support and expect to hire a coach like a top 10 program. That's laughable.

dawgs
06-07-2018, 01:46 PM
None of that matters in college baseball.

Then why waste the money on our fancy new stadium when we could get the same prestige just renting Starkville high's stadium for games?

KB21
06-07-2018, 01:50 PM
Then why waste the money on our fancy new stadium when we could get the same prestige just renting Starkville high's stadium for games?

Because it is still about the fan experience, and players want to play in a stadium that looks and feels like a pro facility. College baseball coaches were prefer to build something like this rather than go into a situation like this.

dawgs
06-07-2018, 01:58 PM
Because it is still about the fan experience, and players want to play in a stadium that looks and feels like a pro facility. College baseball coaches were prefer to build something like this rather than go into a situation like this.

Bullshit, we have 0 national championships. We need someone to build a natty winner here. We have the fan support, the university support, and the facilities to get it done, we need the coach. Whoever does it will be the most legendary coach in any sport in MSU history. Polk would be an afterthought.

preachermatt83
06-07-2018, 02:05 PM

I agree with this. Cohen has been crap in all this!!

dawgs
06-07-2018, 02:07 PM
Let's look at the recent baseball hires in the SEC:

Alabama 2018 -- Brad Bohannan, assistant coach at Auburn
Tennessee 2018 -- Tony Vitello, assistant coach at Arkansas
South Carolina 2018 -- Mark Kingston, head coach at South Florida
Mississippi State 2017 -- Andy Cannizaro, assistant coach at LSU
Kentucky 2017 -- Nick Mingione, assistant coach Mississippi State
Auburn 2016 -- Butch Thompson, assistant coach at Mississippi State
Auburn 2014 -- Sonny Golloway, head coach at Oklahoma
Georgia 2014 -- Scott Stricklin, head coach at Kent State
South Carolina 2013 -- Chad Holbrook, assistant coach at South Carolina
Tennessee 2012 -- Dave Serrano, head coach at Cal State Fullerton

It's interesting that the one guy from a traditionally elite program in Cal State Fullerton, Dave Serrano, was a complete wash out in the SEC. The majority of the hires have been assistants.

Other than USCe with their natties, we bring more to the table than every one of those programs.

preachermatt83
06-07-2018, 02:16 PM

Tadlock makes 700k a year. Go offer him 1.75mil and he will come crawling. I'm telling y'all cohen is low Ballin.

preachermatt83
06-07-2018, 02:19 PM

If we hire an assistant it better be Geatreau

KB21
06-07-2018, 02:41 PM
Tadlock is at his alma mater. He's not going to leave Texas Tech.

Percho
06-07-2018, 02:41 PM

Has Cohen told you we have been shot down?

If it's on the internet it's true.

Fake news, that is.

msstate7
06-07-2018, 02:45 PM
Has Cohen told you we have been shot down?

If it's on the internet it's true.

Fake news, that is.

Now we don't believe schloss and McDonnell were actually pursued?

Percho
06-07-2018, 02:46 PM
I'm taking my name out of the hat.

KB21
06-07-2018, 02:46 PM

There is a difference between pursuing and actually offering the job. A job is never offered until it is actually accepted.

Percho
06-07-2018, 02:48 PM
I do not know who has been pursued other than myself. I have not been pursued.

msstate7
06-07-2018, 02:51 PM
There is a difference between pursuing and actually offering the job. A job is never offered until it is actually accepted.

I think you're reaching if you don't think we offered them or would've offered if they were really listening.

msstate7
06-07-2018, 02:52 PM
I do not know who has been pursued other than myself. I have not been pursued.

Neither have I, and I'm kind of insulted haha

tcdog70
06-07-2018, 03:00 PM
Godwin"s Ole Miss ass can eat shit---I didn't want Him anyway. Hire Butch and keep Jake--a no brainer. or just keep Hendo and make Jake associate HC and move on. In Baseball the players win games anyway--

tcdog70
06-07-2018, 03:03 PM
I've wanted Kirk Saarloos since I checked him out yesterday. Saarloos and Gautreau would be quite the duo

but wait, i thought you were embarrassed? get a 17 ing life

tcdog70
06-07-2018, 03:06 PM
I guess I am the lone wolf now but I still got faith Cohen has his man and has had him for awhile. Reason we don't know who it is yet is because the season isn't over. It's why he wasn't in Fort Worth.

you not the Lone Ranger--people freaking out over nothing. The Coach that JC picks will be ok with Me, till He proves he Suxs.

KB21
06-07-2018, 03:07 PM
https://www.hookem.com/story/30-days-texas-still-without-baseball-coach/

Texas’ baseball coaching search is looking like a 10 — yet it’s anything but perfect.

The number of prospective candidates to remove themselves from consideration has reached double-digits with Texas Tech’s Tim Tadlock pulling out and becoming No. 10 on Tuesday.

Ending hours of speculation that he could be headed to Austin to end the Longhorns’ exhaustive search, Tadlock, who according to a source had interest to in Texas, took to Twitter to say he’s staying at his alma mater, where he has guided the Red Raiders to the College World Series twice in the past three seasons. This year under Tadlock, Tech won the Big 12 regular season title and notched the program’s first CWS victory, eliminating top-seeded Florida.

Tadlock’s rebuffing of UT follows that of Oklahoma State’s Josh Holliday, TCU’s Jim Schlossnagle, UCLA’s John Savage, Oregon State’s Pat Casey, LSU’s Paul Mainieri, Virginia’s Brian O’Connor, Florida’s Kevin O’Sullivan, Vanderbilt’s Tim Corbin and Louisville’s Dan McDonnell.

This was/is one of the elite programs of all the elite programs in college baseball, and they couldn't even get a "name" coach to leave their current program for the Texas job. If John had pulled it off, it would have been a miracle. At some point, it needs to sink in that these guys are not leaving their jobs.

tcdog70
06-07-2018, 03:12 PM
I agree with this. Cohen has been crap in all this!!

based on bullshit--you know that is a stupid ass statement--let this shit play out and then make your stupid statement- JC hasn't signed a HC yet--hearsay isn't admissible in court why is it ok in baseball?

Tbonewannabe
06-07-2018, 03:17 PM
https://www.hookem.com/story/30-days-texas-still-without-baseball-coach/

This was/is one of the elite programs of all the elite programs in college baseball, and they couldn't even get a "name" coach to leave their current program for the Texas job. If John had pulled it off, it would have been a miracle. At some point, it needs to sink in that these guys are not leaving their jobs.

It is odd that baseball is that way. I can see Schloss, McDonnell, or Corbin not taking the job but someone like Godwin or Tadlock would at least double or triple their salary along with have the best facilities in the country. Most baseball coaches don't leave though.

KB21
06-07-2018, 03:19 PM
It is odd that baseball is that way. I can see Schloss, McDonnell, or Corbin not taking the job but someone like Godwin or Tadlock would at least double or triple their salary along with have the best facilities in the country. Most baseball coaches don't leave though.

I doubt Godwin was offered the job.

Dawg61
06-07-2018, 03:30 PM

Like five of y'all need to take a step back from the ledge. You're making this last week unbearable to be on this board. Y'all don't have a ****ing clue what's real and what's agent bullshit to get more money for their coaches. It's the agents job to drum up fake interest so he himself gets commission off the new contract. Y'all know this yet you fall for the banana in the tailpipe every time. 7 if you smelled anymore like a Rebel the last week you'd be the inside of Colonel Rebs asshole.

preachermatt83
06-07-2018, 03:34 PM
Godwin"s Ole Miss ass can eat shit---I didn't want Him anyway. Hire Butch and keep Jake--a no brainer. or just keep Hendo and make Jake associate HC and move on. In Baseball the players win games anyway--

I agree however I'm hearing now butch may not want to leave auburn right now.

KB21
06-07-2018, 03:38 PM

I've heard that as well.

Dawg61
06-07-2018, 03:45 PM

He's in a super regional about to play vs Florida. Sorry but nobody is thinking about any other job while about to play in Supers unless it's the Yankees.

msstate7
06-07-2018, 03:48 PM
He's in a super regional about to play vs Florida. Sorry but nobody is thinking about any other job while about to play in Supers unless it's the Yankees.

Why are you so sure he'd leave? He has auburn trending the right way. He just got a player drafted 1st overall. Auburn just built a new stadium and there's tons of talent in his general location. Butch has auburn in a good place

Dawg61
06-07-2018, 04:12 PM
Why are you so sure he'd leave? He has auburn trending the right way. He just got a player drafted 1st overall. Auburn just built a new stadium and there's tons of talent in his general location. Butch has auburn in a good place

Not saying he'd leave at all. I'm saying his mind is on beating Florida and that's all it's on so those of you saying he has said he doesn't want our job are just flat out lying. He isn't thinking about it and Cohen respects him enough to know to not distract him with an offer right now. It's the most important week of his coaching career right now. Use some common sense guys. Cohen is handcuffed with the search right now because there's still baseball being played.

Tbonewannabe
06-07-2018, 04:27 PM
Not saying he'd leave at all. I'm saying his mind is on beating Florida and that's all it's on so those of you saying he has said he doesn't want our job are just flat out lying. He isn't thinking about it and Cohen respects him enough to know to not distract him with an offer right now. It's the most important week of his coaching career right now. Use some common sense guys. Cohen is handcuffed with the search right now because there's still baseball being played.

We also don't know everything going down behind the scenes. Saban WAS NOT going to Bama and the next day shows up in Tuscaloosa. Anyone ever told their employer that they are interviewing for another job? Even if Schloss and McDonnell are in the middle of it, you wouldn't say anything unless you are using the leverage for either a higher contract from the job offer or your current employer. If Schloss and McDonnell truly turned it down then I wonder what they got from their schools to stay.