PDA

View Full Version : Three different coaches and three consecutive Super Regional's.

Jack Lambert
06-07-2018, 11:02 AM
So is it about coaching or about talent?

Johnson85
06-07-2018, 12:51 PM

Probably a little of both, and a lot of it just has to do with character. I suspect this team weathered the storm because of good leadership, as well as young talent coached up by Gautreaux

WPDawg
06-07-2018, 12:54 PM

Coaching, Talent, grit and tradition.

"We are Bulldogs"

WeWonItAll(Most)
06-07-2018, 12:56 PM
I think we're developing a winning culture. Teams like LSU expect to win every time their on the field, regardless of what the score is and you can almost see it in how they carry themselves. I feel like we're getting there. Leadership, especially player leadership, I feel plays a huge role in that.

On top of the fact that we do have talent

dawgs
06-07-2018, 12:58 PM
Maybe with some consistency we could actually host a super regional and get over the natty hump. Or we can be content just getting beat on the road in supers and overachieving every year.

sleepy dawg
06-07-2018, 01:21 PM
Maybe with some consistency we could actually host a super regional and get over the natty hump. Or we can be content just getting beat on the road in supers and overachieving every year.

Yep, that's us. The pathetic overachievers. We shouldn't even be playing in this game this weekend, but no, here we are still alive with all of our fans talking about how big of losers we must be for not hosting. If only we could under perform. That would make us all much happier. I can't even remember the last time we actually won the SEC outright. Certainly wasn't been 2 seasons ago or anything.****

We all want championships and to be great, but we'd all trade a nut in to be making constant top 16s in the post season in football or basketball. If you're making to the top 16 then you also putting yourself in a position to win a championship. We are not overachieving this year. We didn't overachieve last year. We won our regionals because we were the best teams in those regionals when we played them.

dawgs
06-07-2018, 06:23 PM
Yep, that's us. The pathetic overachievers. We shouldn't even be playing in this game this weekend, but no, here we are still alive with all of our fans talking about how big of losers we must be for not hosting. If only we could under perform. That would make us all much happier. I can't even remember the last time we actually won the SEC outright. Certainly wasn't been 2 seasons ago or anything.****

We all want championships and to be great, but we'd all trade a nut in to be making constant top 16s in the post season in football or basketball. If you're making to the top 16 then you also putting yourself in a position to win a championship. We are not overachieving this year. We didn't overachieve last year. We won our regionals because we were the best teams in those regionals when we played them.

1) this isn't football or basketball. Our place in the pecking order in baseball is much higher than football and basketball.

2) if we wouldn't **** off and lose so many winnable games throughout the regular season we would position ourselves to make deeper runs in the postseason more often by hosting more often. Some of my best memories growing up are hosting regionals. If we were hosting his weekend I'd strongly consider dropping $500+ to fly across the country because there's nothing better than MSU hosting regionals and super regionals and we do it far less often than we should. Our expectations should be to host more often than not, or at least be in the discussion, and we should be a National seed 1/4-1/3 of the time. That's how you put yourself in position to finally win a natty, not by winning as a 2 or 3 seed on the road, then traveling for a super regional.

smootness
06-07-2018, 07:23 PM

Yeah ugh, maybe one of these days we’ll quit sucking and at least win a national title.

dawgs
06-07-2018, 08:02 PM
No one said we suck, but I definitely don't think we have achieved what our program is reasonably capable of achieving and what our fan support and facilities say we should achieve.

Todd4State
06-08-2018, 01:04 AM
I think baseball is mostly about talent- and really more specifically your pitching talent. If you look at teams that win National Titles they typically at a bare minimum have two elite starting pitchers and a shut down closer. How often have we had that at MSU? I think that's a big reason why we don't have a National Title.

IMO the MOST important thing is a staff that can recruit well. I think the thing to have in today's game is an elite pitching coach to get the arms in because parents nowadays are very conscious about the pitching coach and sending their son to someone reputable and I think we need a guy with scouting connections to help us navigate the draft and find the elite guys that have the best chance of getting into school. We need more guys like Tanner Allen that are talented and highly thought of players that want to go to school. Every once in awhile we will get a Jordan Anderson who was very highly thought of and was injured in high school.

As far as baseball strategy goes- most everyone coaches the same way for the most part. Most of the difference is on the offensive side of the ball where you have some coaches that like to be more aggressive on the bases than others. Coaches kind of have to do what their players can do based on their skill sets. You have a bunch of Jake Mangum's- you're going to run more. You have a bunch of Brent Rooker's- you're going to look for more home runs and extra base hits even though Rooker was a good base stealer in college too. Other than that everyone believes in good pitching and good defense.

An old example- I don't think Skip Bertman was as good of a baseball coach as Ron Polk from a fundamentals of the game standpoint. But Bertman in the 1990's especially was able to recruit better players and pitchers that we had in general and that's what made the difference between us just making Omaha and them winning the National Title in Omaha.