PDA

View Full Version : Since we are on plausible scenarios....

I seen it dawg
06-07-2018, 08:50 AM
C34, Ari and I were talking and 34 has an interesting take that I can stomach and I could see turning one street over from Main st...keep Henderson on for the next 2 seasons and make Gautreau as the HC in Waiting. It helps to groom Gautreau to be a HC and keeps Him from leaving in2 years if we hire butch, schloss, Godwin, Purdue or whoever. I add to that go get a young fiery good up and coming pitching guy that Jake likes to pair with him for 2021 when Henderson retires.

I strongly believe Gautreau could be a superstar HC soon and I want it to be with us. That's why I can stomach this. I'd still want to physically assault Henderson for pitching moves, mental midgetry with pitchers, etc but for the big picture I can get with this. If this is the way we lock Gautreau up then let's do it.

msstate7
06-07-2018, 08:58 AM
"I don't think it is out of the realm of possibilities. I really think Cohen got blindsided by schloss. Bc Cohen missed on his guy, I could see Henderson being the guy but Gautreau be the real guy in training if you will. Let Gautreau handle recruiting and hitting with a big raise."

I posted this on 6/4

https://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?67200-New-Coach-bet-on-the-bet-board-Scooba!!!!&p=945711

If we all kind of have the same idea, something isn't right haha

I seen it dawg
06-07-2018, 09:11 AM
I missed that...

TrapGame
06-07-2018, 09:16 AM
Gautreau's interview on OOB a few days ago was fantastic, damn near electric. His personality comes through even on the radio. Not only does he know what asparagus is, he can spell it (probably in Cantonese) and give you his best recipe for Hollandaise sauce. Dude, is going to be a really good HC one day.

Todd4State
06-07-2018, 09:17 AM
Why not just make Gautreau the head coach and hire an elite pitching coach? If we think he's this superstar just promote him.

Bulldog1
06-07-2018, 09:18 AM
C34, Ari and I were talking and 34 has an interesting take that I can stomach and I could see turning one street over from Main st...keep Henderson on for the next 2 seasons and make Gautreau as the HC in Waiting. It helps to groom Gautreau to be a HC and keeps Him from leaving in2 years if we hire butch, schloss, Godwin, Purdue or whoever. I add to that go get a young fiery good up and coming pitching guy that Jake likes to pair with him for 2021 when Henderson retires.

I strongly believe Gautreau could be a superstar HC soon and I want it to be with us. That's why I can stomach this. I'd still want to physically assault Henderson for pitching moves, mental midgetry with pitchers, etc but for the big picture I can get with this. If this is the way we lock Gautreau up then let's do it.
Good idea.

Cooterpoot
06-07-2018, 09:18 AM
Why not just make Gautreau the head coach and hire an elite pitching coach? If we think he's this superstar just promote him.

This. Gary isn't going to want the HC duties at all, so you'll basically have Jake handling anyway. And honestly, Gary isn't an elite pitching coach at this point in his career either.
This isn't what I really want or what I'd do though. Just an option if you're going the Gautreau route.

Doggie_Style
06-07-2018, 09:22 AM

I love that idea...I would also keep Henderson on in some capacity

Dawg61
06-07-2018, 09:25 AM

We can afford the best pitching coach in the country with the initial salary savings on Gautreau.

msstate7
06-07-2018, 09:27 AM

I want Gautreau on staff no matter what. I do think a guy like saarloos might be a better choice as the head man though bc he has more experience at a top flight program. I can't help but think how awesome we'd be with saarloos over pitching and Gautreau over hitting.

the_real_MSU_is_us
06-07-2018, 09:28 AM

Keeping him as the coach in waiting allows us to retain most of his benefits (hitting coaching, recruiting) while allowing him to learn more about being an HC.

The other thing to consider is that he's only been here a year.... Cann looked fantastic after 1 year. keeping him as the hitting coach for 2 more years means we can avoid disaster if the hitting tanks, he gets lazy in recruiting, or character issues show up. 1 year of being a good hitting coach isn't nearly as much of a vetting process as 3 is.

Tbonewannabe
06-07-2018, 09:31 AM
I would be fine with either this or just make Gautreau head man now and go hire the best pitching coach you can get. I guess it depends on if Cohen thinks Gautreau is ready for everything the head man has to do. How is Gautreau's selfie and rap game? How much can he bench? He seems to know how to develop our hitters. We have steadily gotten better as the season as went on which is crazy since the level of pitching has also increased.

Dawg61
06-07-2018, 09:33 AM
Keeping him as the coach in waiting allows us to retain most of his benefits (hitting coaching, recruiting) while allowing him to learn more about being an HC.

The other thing to consider is that he's only been here a year.... Cann looked fantastic after 1 year. keeping him as the hitting coach for 2 more years means we can avoid disaster if the hitting tanks, he gets lazy in recruiting, or character issues show up. 1 year of being a good hitting coach isn't nearly as much of a vetting process as 3 is.

I don't think we should treat the next coach with caution cause we hired an exceptional dumbass. Hand him the keys and let's get the ball rolling. He'll be two years ahead of himself that way.

Johnson85
06-07-2018, 09:36 AM
That'd be fine, but I'm not sure I get why people wouldn't want Butch. He seemed to do a good job when he was here, and Auburn seems to be pretty good with him (and I don't remember them being in a great position when he got there).

I'd rather take Butch than take a flyer on a young up and comer. If we would have to break the bank to get Butch to come back, then maybe we go a different route so we can instead break the bank on the assistant coaches. But I don't get why people are so enamored with Gautreau that they'd pass up a coach with Buth's track record to get him. Sure, he may be the next great coach. But I'd rather take a guy that seems to have proven (as much as you can in one stop) that he's a really good coach. With our stadium and support, a really good coach should be enough for us to do big things.

yjnkdawg
06-07-2018, 09:37 AM

It sounds good, but I doubt Cohen will go in that direction after the Cann fiasco. I think he will want somebody who is in a head coaching position, although Gautreau did serve as the Interim HC at Tulane. I really think some of these elite high profile coaches showing interest possibly used us for their own benefit, and then it appeared that we more more of a high profile coaching draw than we really are at this point in time. Still waiting to see how Cohen plays this thing out.

msstate7
06-07-2018, 09:39 AM
That'd be fine, but I'm not sure I get why people wouldn't want Butch. He seemed to do a good job when he was here, and Auburn seems to be pretty good with him (and I don't remember them being in a great position when he got there).

I'd rather take Butch than take a flyer on a young up and comer. If we would have to break the bank to get Butch to come back, then maybe we go a different route so we can instead break the bank on the assistant coaches. But I don't get why people are so enamored with Gautreau that they'd pass up a coach with Buth's track record to get him. Sure, he may be the next great coach. But I'd rather take a guy that seems to have proven (as much as you can in one stop) that he's a really good coach. With our stadium and support, a really good coach should be enough for us to do big things.

Are we sure he'd even leave? He seems to building a nice program at auburn

msstate7
06-07-2018, 09:40 AM
It sounds good, but I doubt Cohen will go in that direction after the Cann fiasco. I think he will want somebody who is in a head coaching position, althought Gautreau did serve as the Interim HC at Tulane. I really think these high profile coaches possibly used us for their own benefit, and then it appeared that we more more of a high profile coaching draw than we really are at this point in time. Still waiting to see how Cohen plays this thing out.

Be pretty wild if we hired 2 guys that Tulane passed on haha

yjnkdawg
06-07-2018, 09:43 AM

Haha 7..........I'd have to say yeah.

Tbonewannabe
06-07-2018, 09:43 AM

It would definitely be weird but prior to February, everyone pretty much said Tulane's AD should be fired for not giving Canny the job. If Gautreau is as good of a coach and recruiter as Canny without the penis problems then I am fine with him. Until Canny got mesmerized by the poon, he was a top flight coach.

yjnkdawg
06-07-2018, 09:53 AM

Sounds like a feasible option ISID. Bet those "Game Threads" on here would have 95 pages of useful information, such as updated scores, and what is actually happening on the field. Nahhh that would be like a real "Game Thread" lol.

shoeless joe
06-07-2018, 10:21 AM
Everybody was/is up in arms about not getting shloss or McDonnell and now we're wanting to just promote geautreau over getting a guy like Godwin or butch? Interesting...not even saying it's a bad idea but it's an interesting gear switch

We'll see how it plays out...I'll support the team no matter what Cohen decides here and the new/same coach will get questioned and criticized incessantly by the folks on here that are smarter than him but somehow didn't get the job.

tcdog70
06-07-2018, 11:15 AM
I'm good with that. Sounds like the best option.

Todd4State
06-07-2018, 12:28 PM
I don't think we should do the coach in waiting stuff. Doing weird stuff is what has gotten us into messes before.

Let's just get a coach and let him hire his staff and go with it.

dawgs
06-07-2018, 12:40 PM
I don't think we should do the coach in waiting stuff. Doing weird stuff is what has gotten us into messes before.

Let's just get a coach and let him hire his staff and go with it.

Amen. Just texted that to a buddy. Coach in waiting just seems like it'll **** us even more if he gets another HC offer in the meantime. If he sucks, he sucks and we get to hire another lottery ticket in a couple years since apparently our baseball program is nothing more than a program that needs to gamble on unproven HCs at this point.

BiscuitEater
06-07-2018, 04:12 PM

Agree 100%, 'IF' we make hindu the HC & Gautreau the HCIW, you're trapped when/if things go off the rail. Who do you blame? You NEVER really know who is making the decisions.

CadaverDawg
06-07-2018, 05:36 PM
I want Gautreau on staff no matter what. I do think a guy like saarloos might be a better choice as the head man though bc he has more experience at a top flight program. I can't help but think how awesome we'd be with saarloos over pitching and Gautreau over hitting.

I would get behind this.

Bully13
06-07-2018, 05:48 PM
Was Saarloos offered the Rice job? did he turn it down? hmmm. makes one wonder if that indeed is the case.

deadheaddawg
06-07-2018, 06:46 PM
Everybody was/is up in arms about not getting shloss or McDonnell and now we're wanting to just promote geautreau over getting a guy like Godwin or butch? Interesting...not even saying it's a bad idea but it's an interesting gear switch

Backup QB is always the most popular person in town

ShotgunDawg
06-07-2018, 06:50 PM
We don't even know if Gautreau can recruit yet.

Is he a good evaluator?

Does anyone know this? It's the most important part of the job.

Bully13
06-08-2018, 05:57 AM
We don't even know if Gautreau can recruit yet.

Is he a good evaluator?

Does anyone know this? It's the most important part of the job.

he's our crootin' coordinator

Tbonewannabe
06-08-2018, 01:44 PM

We'll see how it plays out...I'll support the team no matter what Cohen decides here and the new/same coach will get questioned and criticized incessantly by the folks on here that are smarter than him but somehow didn't get the job.

I honestly don't see Godwin being better than Henderson. Henderson just left Mingione a group that had a lot of draft picks so his recruiting must be up to par.