PDA

View Full Version : Let me chime in for a second on this baseball coach topic...

CadaverDawg
06-06-2018, 11:42 PM
Did Cohen put himself out there with his comments? Sure. And I'm sure he wishes he'd kept those comments to himself until the signature was on the dotted line. Ok, he spoke too soon, he screwed up, whatever....but let me remind you that our last 4 coaches were:

Henderson - Super Regional in his interim year
Cannizaro - Super Regional in his first year
Cohen - Multiple Regionals, Supers, and a CWS 'ship appearance
Polk - Multiple Regionals, multiple trips to Omaha

So let's not act like Schloss or McDonnell were the only guys that can possibly win big or win a Natty at MSU in baseball. It's all about the right fit, and while I'm fine with people holding Cohen responsible for his words, I would rather him make the right fit hire than to try to appease the fans that are hung up on his words from radio interviews by trying to hire a big name that doesn't fit now that he may have missed on his top few guys.

Hell, everybody on our current radar is a bigger name than Canny and even Cohen were when we hired them, so I feel confident we'll be fine. Is it disappointing to get your hopes up for a top 2 coach and find out it might end up being a top 10-15 coach? Sure it is. But let's let the man make his hire before burning him at the stake and calling it a failure. Getting stuck on what he said in those radio interviews isn't going to change the fact that we are where we are at this point.,.so let's discuss the best possibilities, support the man til we know who it is at least, and stop repeating the frustration of it not being one of the "Big 2-3" guys.

MSU baseball is in a great spot, and John Cohen wants a Natty as much as we do. Let's see what he does.

Commercecomet24
06-06-2018, 11:53 PM
Always the voice of reason. Great post.

Bulldog1
06-06-2018, 11:54 PM
Great post. You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to CadaverDawg again

Dawgcap
06-06-2018, 11:59 PM
I’m actually in a Holiday Inn and approve this message!

BeardoMSU
06-07-2018, 12:04 AM
Great post, Cadaver.

Dawgcap
06-07-2018, 12:07 AM
I’ve posted way too much tonight. But it’s been fun to talk Miss State sports with passionate fans. Look I’m 54 so this shit didn’t exist and even if it did it would be mainly negative about our sports program but the one constant has always been baseball!! That’s what we’ve always done consistently and best. I love all sports but damn to be in in June is what I love and expect! We will always be a baseball school and I don’t worry about the hire!
Thanks to this message board for allowing an old guy to voice an opinion about a school I’m so proud to claim!!

Todd4State
06-07-2018, 12:22 AM
I bet Cohen learned a lesson from this- assuming he doesn't hire Tadlock or something changes.

At any rate I think the most important things are that we hire a staff that has an elite pitching coach and scouting connections. Whoever that is.

MarketingBully
06-07-2018, 12:25 AM
Did Cohen put himself out there with his comments? Sure. And I'm sure he wishes he'd kept those comments to himself until the signature was on the dotted line. Ok, he spoke too soon, he screwed up, whatever....but let me remind you that our last 4 coaches were:

So let's not act like Schloss or McDonnell were the only guys that can possibly win big or win a Natty at MSU in baseball. It's all about the right fit, and while I'm fine with people holding Cohen responsible for his words, I would rather him make the right fit hire than to try to appease the fans that are hung up on his words from radio interviews by trying to hire a big name that doesn't fit now that he may have missed on his top few guys.

Hell, everybody on our current radar is a bigger name than Canny and even Cohen were when we hired them, so I feel confident we'll be fine. Is it disappointing to get your hopes up for a top 2 coach and find out it might end up being a top 10-15 coach? Sure it is. But let's let the man make his hire before burning him at the stake and calling it a failure. Getting stuck on what he said in those radio interviews isn't going to change the fact that we are where we are at this point.,.so let's discuss the best possibilities, support the man til we know who it is at least, and stop repeating the frustration of it not being one of the "Big 2-3" guys.

MSU baseball is in a great spot, and John Cohen wants a Natty as much as we do. Let's see what he does.

Great post. The team the new coach inherits will have a lot of postseason experience on it and belief in themselves. Realistically speaking, the draft didn’t hit us as hard as it could have so we should be in great shape there. The fact that we can make three Super Regionals in three straight years with three different coaches is truly remarkable. I’d like us to hire a coach with more of a pitching background so we can keep Gautreau as even Kendall Rogers stated how integral he was in helping Henderson keep this thing together. That’s why imo I’d go with Butch Thompson. He’s the type of coach who could develop our current and incoming pitchers at a high level and shore up what I see is our one weakness. It also doesn’t hurt that he mentored the number 1 overall draft pick in Casey Mize. He also is the one who taught Hudson the cutter which led him to be untouchable his junior year. If he wanted to keep Henderson as pitching coach that’s up to him. I just want us to keep Jake Gautreau.

deadheaddawg
06-07-2018, 12:45 AM
Hell. Henderson might win it all and Cohen will look like a genius for not pulling the trigger on a "big coach" and letting Henderson earn it

shoeless joe
06-07-2018, 02:24 AM
Hell. Henderson might win it all and Cohen will look like a genius for not pulling the trigger on a "big coach" and letting Henderson earn it

While this is doubtful at this point, it was obvious how strong the Henderson hate runs the other day when someone said even if he wins it all they would want someone else because he wouldn't be the coach to bring us a natty?!?!?!? Was good for a laugh if nothing else.

ETA: I agree with cadaver as well

StThierry
06-07-2018, 07:00 AM

And the church said, "Amen."

yjnkdawg
06-07-2018, 07:26 AM

Excellent Post, CD..............Rep given

I seen it dawg
06-07-2018, 07:42 AM

Thank you

msstate7
06-07-2018, 07:49 AM
I'm not mad we didn't get one of the big 3. Hell, there are a ton of coaches that can do just as well, and maybe even better. I still think we will get a really good coach.

I'm mad bc our AD did the equivalent of drunk texting. The job of selling dreams is for message board posters with "sources", not the face of our athletic dept in the media.

It's done though. Just hope Cohen doesn't compound the problem by trying to get a guy that comes close to checking those boxes just in order to save face. Just get the right guy, and learn from it like Steve guaranteeing a rose bowl haha

LC Dawg
06-07-2018, 07:51 AM
There are many absurdities in life. One of them is that Mississippi State fans are losing their minds because we didn't hire a coach that is currently sitting at home because his team didn't make the post season and are shitting on the coach that currently has our Bulldogs in a super regional. I'm not advocating to hire Henderson I'm just saying enjoy what we have going right now (at least until the game threads because I know there is no point in trying to get people to be rational in those).

Todd4State
06-07-2018, 08:20 AM
I'm not mad we didn't get one of the big 3. Hell, there are a ton of coaches that can do just as well, and maybe even better. I still think we will get a really good coach.

I'm mad bc our AD did the equivalent of drunk texting. The job of selling dreams is for message board posters with "sources", not the face of our athletic dept in the media.

It's done though. Just hope Cohen doesn't compound the problem by trying to get a guy that comes close to checking those boxes just in order to save face. Just get the right guy, and learn from it like Steve guaranteeing a rose bowl haha

Exactly. I'm not about not getting Schlossnagle or McDonnell. I'm mad because our AD told us we were getting a Schlossnagle or a McDonnell. After the guy he hired a guy that embarassed is with his off the field actions.

I'll give the new guy a chance of course. But I'm mad enough to go to the press conference and ask smart ass questions about being a hall of famer only after two years at Purdue.

Roy Munson
06-07-2018, 08:29 AM
I don?t think he made the wrong decision with Cann. I mean the guy had us rolling in recruiting and took a team that had no business doing so to a Super. ***** has started a many a wars, and is still undefeated. Nobody could have foreseen him getting ***** drunk over the town bicycle. Dude had it made. Could have coached here for 30 years and had a statue.

Now the statement Cohen made, yeah, that looks to be dumb as shit now. It was either a power play or careless. Either way it looks to have backfired. We will be fine either way as long as we don?t settle. I?d keep Henderson for a year longer and then hit the market again before settling. Damn that.

was21
06-07-2018, 08:30 AM
Butch Thompson may not be waiting with bated breath. He's got a pretty good gig where he is without the pressure.

Jack Lambert
06-07-2018, 08:33 AM
While this is doubtful at this point, it was obvious how strong the Henderson hate runs the other day when someone said even if he wins it all they would want someone else because he wouldn't be the coach to bring us a natty?!?!?!? Was good for a laugh if nothing else.

ETA: I agree with cadaver as well

I don't doubt shit about this team anymore. They believe.

Cooterpoot
06-07-2018, 09:02 AM
Most people aren't mad we didn't get one of those guys. Disappointed? Sure. And John is the big contributor to that. We'll be fine because he's going to check out everybody this time and not take a chance like last time. If we had hired Godwin last time, we all would've been happy. This time, not so much, because we've had a long time to get things together. We've had some things happen that John couldn't control too though. I think you'll see us get a younger guy (40's) with a reputation for recruiting.

Todd4State
06-07-2018, 09:12 AM
Most people aren't mad we didn't get one of those guys. Disappointed? Sure. And John is the big contributor to that. We'll be fine because he's going to check out everybody this time and not take a chance like last time. If we had hired Godwin last time, we all would've been happy. This time, not so much, because we've had a long time to get things together. We've had some things happen that John couldn't control too though. I think you'll see us get a younger guy (40's) with a reputation for recruiting.

I think at this point the best thing we can do is hire an elite recruiter, hire an elite pitching coach to go along with him, and keep Gautreau.

The bottom line is players win games. You have elite talent you increase your odds of winning a championship. You can't outscheme people all that much in baseball and everyone basically plays the same style unless it's an extreme small ball coach or an extreme American League style coach. Most people are somewhere in the middle. Really the biggest thing is finding a coach that knows how to manage a pitching staff and know when to take pitchers out.

Tbonewannabe
06-07-2018, 09:19 AM
I think at this point the best thing we can do is hire an elite recruiter, hire an elite pitching coach to go along with him, and keep Gautreau.

The bottom line is players win games. You have elite talent you increase your odds of winning a championship. You can't outscheme people all that much in baseball and everyone basically plays the same style unless it's an extreme small ball coach or an extreme American League style coach. Most people are somewhere in the middle. Really the biggest thing is finding a coach that knows how to manage a pitching staff and know when to take pitchers out.

A coach that has an eye for talent and can get them to campus seems one of the most important aspects. Then you need good development once they get to campus. There is something to be said about game management but most of the time those are by the book decisions. It then just depends what reliever you are putting in and how to make out the lineup.

Percho
06-07-2018, 11:09 AM
Maybe that little guy up the road is ready to move on?!*

tcdog70
06-07-2018, 11:20 AM

Players win games--now there is a novel idea that you have finally embraced--