PDA

View Full Version : We just might be our own worst enemy on message boards!

Bodaski
06-06-2018, 10:52 PM
I wonder if we are not our own worst enemy concerning the future Head Baseball coach. We throw names around like everyone has it from their "great sources". These guys have their names splattered all over the place and they may have wanted it kept quite for awhile until everything is worked out with all parties. I think that may have possibly happened here. The message boards are great and I enjoy reading them. But, I also think they can do as much or more damage as good too. I know JC used a bullet list in searching for a coach, but I've not heard any coaches name or names from his mouth other than the requirements he stated. Our fans flooded the airways with names that apparently have turned own the job. We may have hindered this search somewhat in throwing out names. Great coaches usually don't interview. They generally work through their agents

Todd4State
06-06-2018, 10:56 PM
Well, Kendall Rogers of D1Baseball.com put out the same names we did so I'm not sure how avoidable rumors totally are.

Dawgcap
06-06-2018, 11:08 PM
Honestly JC put those rumors out on his own in March I think with his statement. I said several times I respect it because I think it bought us time but it let other schools know they better do whatever to keep their guys. I hate where we are at because this high profile job cannot be filled until the season is over. Not fair to our players or the coaches we are courting. Got to be easier to hire in the off season but we don’t have that luxury

Commercecomet24
06-06-2018, 11:09 PM
Every message board of every team college and pro goes thru the same deal anytime their team is replacing a coach. Folks are used to it now cause that's the way it is in society now. Doesn't affect who's hired or fired.

deadheaddawg
06-06-2018, 11:16 PM
I wonder if we are not our own worst enemy concerning the future Head Baseball coach. We throw names around like everyone has it from their "great sources". These guys have their names splattered all over the place and they may have wanted it kept quite for awhile until everything is worked out with all parties. I think that may have possibly happened here. The message boards are great and I enjoy reading them. But, I also think they can do as much or more damage as good too. I know JC used a bullet list in searching for a coach, but I've not heard any coaches name or names from his mouth other than the requirements he stated. Our fans flooded the airways with names that apparently have turned own the job. We may have hindered this search somewhat in throwing out names. Great coaches usually don't interview. They generally work through their agents

you know whats worse than that? Apathy. Not caring.

I like that our fans care. I like that we are passionate. And you cant have that and expect it to be all sunshine and daisies. We are invested in the program. We want to talk about it and we want to be honest about it. Newspapers are reporting these names. Other fan bases are talking about it. What the hell do you want us to do? Read Schloss's name mentioned for our job in Texas newspaper and not talk about it?

Or We could be like a hundred other schools and just not talk about baseball.

I know it would be nice to keep a high level of fan involvement, but have them always look on the bright side. That would be nice. But it is not realistic. This is the price you pay for having one of the most committed baseball fanbases.

Dawgcap
06-06-2018, 11:18 PM
It does make a difference when you are coming off 2 super regionals and you fire a coach 3 games into a season. I don’t get how anyone doesn’t see that this is as tough of a way to hire a coach. Someone tell me when we should fill the vacancy, and how we should get the perfect fit when the best coaches schools will do everything in their power to keep their coach. Offseason you can at least catch schools off guard. We can’t because of the rumors. And yes Cohen made statements but with what is going on on Starkville with stadium expansion and recruits any athletic department in the country with a great coach is going to protect their interests against us. Love the discussion

Dawgcap
06-06-2018, 11:24 PM
Every message board of every team college and pro goes thru the same deal anytime their team is replacing a coach. Folks are used to it now cause that's the way it is in society now. Doesn't affect who's hired or fired.
True but things are amped up while there are games left to play. Baseball takes a backseat once the summer gets here. Football moves to the forefront. Our opening is big news and has been since February and there’s no way to make a hire until around this time of year. All of sudden we are still playing and these schools just eliminated are realizing they better do whatever to keep their guy

deadheaddawg
06-06-2018, 11:25 PM
It does make a difference when you are coming off 2 super regionals and you fire a coach 3 games into a season. I don’t get how anyone doesn’t see that this is as tough of a way to hire a coach. Someone tell me when we should fill the vacancy, and how we should get the perfect fit when the best coaches schools will do everything in their power to keep their coach. Offseason you can at least catch schools off guard. We can’t because of the rumors. And yes Cohen made statements but with what is going on on Starkville with stadium expansion and recruits any athletic department in the country with a great coach is going to protect their interests against us. Love the discussion

Having all season to do your homework for a hire is the best possible way to hire a coach. It is literally the exact opposite of what you said.

Catching them off guard? lol really. Do you honestly think the ADs and Schools with big time coaches dont expect to have their coaches pursued? Come on man. Every school with a high profile coach knows there will be turnover every year. You ain't catching them off guard. And you sure as hell wouldn't trade a full season of homework and getting prepared for whatever little surprise you think we could have had

Dawgcap
06-06-2018, 11:34 PM
Off guard was definitely the wrong wording. What I mean is even if we have conversations in March there is no way to make a hire before May. That is if the coach isn’t like Mullen. My point is I don’t think a deal can be finalized until the season is over. In the mean time that gives his current employer time to sway him away from us. Much tougher to sell a deal over several months vs several days.

Cooterpoot
06-06-2018, 11:37 PM
Da 17? It’s like the pussification of ED around here.

Dawgcap
06-06-2018, 11:41 PM
Me?? Kiss my a** !! Ha

Commercecomet24
06-06-2018, 11:44 PM
you know whats worse than that? Apathy. Not caring.

I like that our fans care. I like that we are passionate. And you cant have that and expect it to be all sunshine and daisies. We are invested in the program. We want to talk about it and we want to be honest about it. Newspapers are reporting these names. Other fan bases are talking about it. What the hell do you want us to do? Read Schloss's name mentioned for our job in Texas newspaper and not talk about it?

Or We could be like a hundred other schools and just not talk about baseball.

I know it would be nice to keep a high level of fan involvement, but have them always look on the bright side. That would be nice. But it is not realistic. This is the price you pay for having one of the most committed baseball fanbases.

Dang dude that was awesome! Rep given!

Commercecomet24
06-06-2018, 11:45 PM
True but things are amped up while there are games left to play. Baseball takes a backseat once the summer gets here. Football moves to the forefront. Our opening is big news and has been since February and there’s no way to make a hire until around this time of year. All of sudden we are still playing and these schools just eliminated are realizing they better do whatever to keep their guy

Message boards have zero effect on hiring and firing although some would like to think they have that kind of power lol

Cooterpoot
06-06-2018, 11:48 PM
Me?? Kiss my a** !! Ha

The OP

Dawgcap
06-07-2018, 12:24 AM
I’m just playing!

Dawgcap
06-07-2018, 12:58 AM
Message boards have zero effect on hiring and firing although some would like to think they have that kind of power lol

I was talking more about a coach and AD search. This decision won’t be made on a message board for sure. But in our situation we can’t really finalize a deal with a coach still doing his job no more than we should announce a hiring of a coach before we are done playing. I may be wrong but if I was interested in coaching State I would never distract from a run that my future players could be on! So if I had an offer I wouldn’t accept until my future players were done. Because of the hiring time your current employer probably will find out due to agents and counter offers occur. I just think it’s tough to keep a verbal commitment this Tim of year.

Liverpooldawg
06-07-2018, 08:12 AM

You need to change "just might" to "are."