PDA

View Full Version : This Is Cohen's Actual Quote On The Coaching Search - Please Read Carefully

yjnkdawg
06-06-2018, 08:39 PM
John Cohen said, "This person is going to have serious baseball experience as a head coach. This person is going to have made trips to Omaha, Nebraska. This person is going to have expertise in an area of the game and in all facets of the game. And this person is going to make our fan base very happy"

He didn't say that the trips to Omaha were in the capacity as a head coach. So according to this, how could he have failed when we don't even know who he is going to hire. But making a few of our fans on this message board happy would be a major major accomplishment if not impossible. It's good that most all of our fans don't live on sports' message boards, go crazy on what a recruit says on twitter, know more than our coaches (now apparently more than our AD too) and believe everything they see on the internet. I would say chill and let this coaching search play out , but I know that's a mute point concerning a few on here. Cohen is not going to let our (his) baseball program down.

This is the other Cohen quote since i was accused of being a blind sheep defending Cohen.
Cohen said" The interest for this job has been above my expectations. We've had interest from Hall of Fame coaches" "The coaches we are considering make a lot of money. This position will pay at the top of the scale"

It's hard to pull high name elite hall of fame type coaches who have established elite programs, and can obtain their baseball legacy at their current school, and they also make a lot of money, unless they have some issue with their current situation, or see the move as a great opportunity. Interest and actually accepting a job are two totally different things. It could be they were putting their name out there solely to get more money from their current school, better facilities etc. Not saying that happened , but it does sometimes. How could Cohen have actually dropped the ball, or screwed up when he hasn't even made a hire yet? Is that speculation, drama on a message board, I know more than Cohen, etc. . I really don't know what their thinking or motive is?

BuckyIsAB****
06-06-2018, 08:41 PM
yjnk gets it

06-06-2018, 08:49 PM
He didn't fail, but our fans certainly did

Cooterpoot
06-06-2018, 08:49 PM
Excuses. He also made the Hall of Fame statement. John screwed up. He knows it. We all know it.

Dawgcap
06-06-2018, 08:52 PM
Excuses. He also made the Hall of Fame statement. John screwed up. He knows it. We all know it.
Has he made a hire?? Why make a hire while we are still playing?

BuckyIsAB****
06-06-2018, 08:52 PM

Cohen must have pooted in your cooter

Todd4State
06-06-2018, 08:53 PM
John Cohen said, "This person is going to have serious baseball experience as a head coach. This person is going to have made trips to Omaha, Nebraska. This person is going to have expertise in an area of the game and in all facets of the game. And this person is going to make our fan base very happy"

He didn't say that the trips to Omaha were in the capacity as a head coach. So according to this, how could he have failed when we don't even know who he is going to hire. But making a few of our fans on this message board happy would be a major major accomplishment if not impossible. It's good that most all of our fans don't live on sports' message boards, go crazy on what a recruit says on twitter, know more than our coaches (now apparently more than our AD too) and believe everything they see on the internet. I would say chill and let this coaching search play out , but I know that's a mute point concerning a few on here. Cohen is not going to let our (his) baseball program down.

He has already let us down three times- 2015, with Cann, and now with this.

It's pretty clear that we were going after Schlossnagle and McDonnell. I don't know what else to tell you.

Bulldog1
06-06-2018, 08:54 PM
"The interest for this job has been above my expectations. We've had interest from Hall of Fame coaches"

"The coaches we are considering make a lot of money. This position will pay at the top of the scale"

msstate7
06-06-2018, 08:54 PM

It's pretty clear that we were going after Schlossnagle and McDonnell. I don't know what else to tell you.

I mean look at that quote, and consider who are the 2 that publicly shot us down. It is beyond obvious Cohen thought he had one

msstate7
06-06-2018, 08:55 PM
"The interest for this job has been above my expectations. We've had interest from Hall of Fame coaches"

"The coaches we are considering make a lot of money. This position will pay at the top of the scale"

He is obviously talking about Godwin haha

Dawgcap
06-06-2018, 08:56 PM

Did you hate the hire last year after beating Southern Ms?

Cooterpoot
06-06-2018, 08:58 PM
Y’all acting like we agree with Polky about John. We’re just saying he deserves whatever criticism is headed his way. Sometimes being the smartest guy in the room means you have to be in there by yourself. He’s finding that out now.

BuckyIsAB****
06-06-2018, 08:58 PM
Yall blaming Cohen for Cannziaro is literally the stupidest shit I've seen. Like starting Damien Williams stupid

Cooterpoot
06-06-2018, 09:01 PM
Yes, Canz was such a success. John thought so much of him he brought Gary in to babysit him. John knew Canz wasn’t mature enough.

preachermatt83
06-06-2018, 09:01 PM

*moot point

Mobile Bay
06-06-2018, 09:03 PM
I think it has always been Butch Thompson, but the dragging out is because Auburn is having an epic season for them.

preachermatt83
06-06-2018, 09:05 PM

I agree to a point but there are two things I would point out.. 1- he said hall of fame caliber coaches were showing interest
2- right or not in how it was received he should have known what was gonna happen within the fanbase by saying what he did.

mparkerfd20
06-06-2018, 09:06 PM
Bullshit. Cohen knew exactly the expectation he was setting. He swung twice and whiffed. He has one strike left. Knowing him he'll bunt.

Todd4State
06-06-2018, 09:06 PM
Did you hate the hire last year after beating Southern Ms?

I had questions about his experience and concerns over that when we hire Cann. No question about that.

I was happy with how last season turned out. I don't think Cann is a bad coach. But I do think that's it's very apparent in hindsight that he wasn't ready to be a head coach. And the fact of the matter is at the end of the day Cann embarrassed us and our program in a way that's unacceptable.

What you are asking me is about like asking Penn State fans if they were happy with Jerry Sandusky in 1999? On about a tenth of that scale. But you get my point.

Todd4State
06-06-2018, 09:07 PM
Bullshit. Cohen knew exactly the expectation he was setting. He swung twice and whiffed. He has one strike left. Knowing him he'll bunt.

Hilarious!

I think that's one of Cohen's biggest weaknesses. He has tried to cut corners with our baseball program at times being cute and it has burned us sometimes- see Wes Johnson, JUCO recruits, CANN, etc.

confucius say

There was interest from hall of fame coaches, Schloss and mcd.

I told y'all 6 weeks ago "a lot of money" is a relative term.

BuckyIsAB****
I agree to a point but there are two things I would point out.. 1- he said hall of fame caliber coaches were showing interest
2- right or not in how it was received he should have known what was gonna happen within the fanbase by saying what he did.

hall of fame caliber coaches are/did show interest he wasnt lying.

I dont think its happening within the whole fanbase I think its happening with a few guys that let Schloss pee in their cheerios

confucius say
06-06-2018, 09:10 PM
I had questions about his experience and concerns over that when we hire Cann. No question about that.

I was happy with how last season turned out. I don't think Cann is a bad coach. But I do think that's it's very apparent in hindsight that he wasn't ready to be a head coach. And the fact of the matter is at the end of the day Cann embarrassed us and our program in a way that's unacceptable.

What you are asking me is about like asking Penn State fans if they were happy with Jerry Sandusky in 1999? On about a tenth of that scale. But you get my point.

Was Bobby Petrino a bad hire by Arkansas? Of course not.

yjnkdawg
06-06-2018, 09:13 PM
*moot point

LOL Thanks Preacher ...My high school English teacher probably wouldn't be shocked.

06-06-2018, 09:15 PM
Hilarious!

I think that's one of Cohen's biggest weaknesses. He has tried to cut corners with our baseball program at times being cute and it has burned us sometimes- see Wes Johnson, JUCO recruits, CANN, etc.

Your opinion on Cohen is just dead wrong

mparkerfd20
06-06-2018, 09:15 PM
Hilarious!

Yep. We'll wind up with a decent coach because our program is so strong...If we dont wind up with Cohen himself again. Cohen does try to get too cute at times though. Hopefully he still gets this right. I'll admit I'm losing faith tho.

msstate7
06-06-2018, 09:16 PM
Was Bobby Petrino a bad hire by Arkansas? Of course not.

Was mike price at bama?

06-06-2018, 09:16 PM

You don't know a GD thing

Every program in the country always calls those two guys, every single year, and we'd be idiotic if we didn't

BuckyIsAB****
06-06-2018, 09:17 PM
Hilarious!

I know hes so bad he got us farther than we have ever been!!! He won the SEC with all those JUCO kids!!! Wes Johnson was so shitty he got hired at Arkansas!! Damn him! Why couldnt he buy a crystal ball and see that Cann was gonna let his dick get him into trouble!!!

yjnkdawg
06-06-2018, 09:20 PM

Showing an interest in the job, and Cohen being able to pull them away from those jobs where they have built elite programs are two different things. It could be they were doing that in an attempt to get more money from their current school, better facilities etc. I'm not saying that happened, because I don't know, but it does work like that sometimes.

This fan base that you are referring to appears to be a few posters on message boards. Most of our fan base doesn't freak out on stuff. Especially before something even happens to freak out on.

WPDawg
06-06-2018, 09:21 PM

Troll

tcdog70
06-06-2018, 09:25 PM
Chill out we will have a Coach and He will be a good one. shit aren't we still playing with A Coach Cohen selected. The Louisville and TCU Coaches are sitting their asses at the House. Some of you 17ing experts that are whinnying like a bitch are the ones that said we wouldn't win 6 SEC games. How bout let's just wait and see who we get. Then you 17ers can melt .

Dawgcap
06-06-2018, 09:35 PM

Key word is hindsight based on his personal decisions this past year. But again at the end of last year I?m betting you didn?t question his coaching for most of the year. And sorry as bad as what Cann did their is no number you can divide to compare to Sandusky. His was a willing adult

yjnkdawg
06-06-2018, 09:37 PM

It's hard to pull high name coaches who have established elite programs at their current school, and they also make a lot of money. Unless they have some issue with their current situation. Interest and actually accepting a job are two totally different things. So he actually has not screwed up yet. I don't believe.

Homedawg
06-06-2018, 09:42 PM

How can you continue to blame him on cann. It wasn?t a bad hire. He was recruiting at an extreme level. He did a goofs job last year. Shit happens out of your control. It?s called life. He?s not a mind reader.

confucius say
06-06-2018, 09:46 PM
Was mike price at bama?

Yes. But not bc he went to strip clubs on the university's dime. It was bc he was an average, at best, on field coach.

IMissJack
06-06-2018, 09:50 PM
JC is still a relatively new AD, and hopefully he is learning a valuable lesson about creating expectations before the chicken is in the pot, so to speak. The football coaching search went so smoothly, I think we all thought baseball would be a slam dunk. I'm sure he wishes he had kept his mouth shut.

yjnkdawg
06-06-2018, 09:53 PM

I agree on the going after. The thing is that these elite hall of fame type coaches have built their own elite programs, and can establish their baseball coaching legacy there. They may show some interest, but how much do they show. We don't know. How often has another baseball program been successful in being able to pull these types of coaches away. Some of the few on here who are obsessed with statistics might could tell us.

sandwolf
06-06-2018, 10:10 PM

Good Lord.....with the way the boards have melted and the way some people have been shitting all over Cohen, I figured that he must have legitimately screwed up and made a promise that he wasn't going to be able to deliver on. Haha, he said pretty much the same thing that every AD says during a coaching search. We just have some delusional baseball fans that had their hearts set on hiring one of the top 2 or 3 coaches in the country, and now they are pitching a hissy fit because it isn't playing out like they thought it would. And I'll be damned if they aren't doubling down on it in this thread. Unreal.

Dawg61
06-06-2018, 10:10 PM

Cohen is speaking in the 3rd person. He's talking about hiring himself.

Captain Falcon
06-06-2018, 10:17 PM
I?m just not all that concerned with who we hire. We?re in our third Super Regional in a row with three different coaches, we return a lot of guys next year, and we continue to recruit at a really high level. There are a ton of coaches who could win big here.

I get the frustration about missing out on Schloss and McDonnell, but we are still going to get a very good coach. The program is already in very good shape, and Cohen isn?t going to make a Polk II or Rick Ray type hire that will torpedo everything. He?s still going to get someone that?s a proven winner and has all the tools to win big here.

06-06-2018, 10:23 PM
How can you continue to blame him on cann. It wasn?t a bad hire. He was recruiting at an extreme level. He did a goofs job last year. Shit happens out of your control. It?s called life. He?s not a mind reader.

Didn't you know? Todds a baseball EXPERTZ !!11

yjnkdawg
06-06-2018, 10:28 PM
I?m just not all that concerned with who we hire. We?re in our third Super Regional in a row with three different coaches, we return a lot of guys next year, and we continue to recruit at a really high level. There are a ton of coaches who could win big here.

I get the frustration about missing out on Schloss and McDonnell, but we are still going to get a very good coach. The program is already in very good shape, and Cohen isn?t going to make a Polk II or Rick Ray type hire that will torpedo everything. He?s still going to get someone that?s a proven winner and has all the tools to win big here.

Good Post......Just 9 posts and you understand and get it. More so than some who have 4,000+ posts on here.

confucius say
06-06-2018, 10:29 PM

First paragraph sounds like Butch actually, sans the last sentence for some

Jarius
06-06-2018, 10:34 PM
Now that you?ve given everyone part of the quote, how about you add the rest of it so we can all see what he really said.

"The coaches we are considering make a lot of money. This position will pay at the top of the scale.?

You can?t say that and go hire a G5 coach without receiving a whole lot of criticism. Taking up for him for saying that makes you look like a blind sheep.

deadheaddawg
06-06-2018, 10:35 PM

You conveniently out (read carefully) because the only coaches deserving of top of the scale pay are ones that have been to the CWS as a head coach, not an assistant.

"Interest has exceeded expectations and hall of fame coaches are interested

yjnkdawg
06-06-2018, 10:37 PM
First paragraph sounds like Butch actually, sans the last sentence for some

Yep, it sure does after reading it again. Maybe that was how he set his minimum qualification criteria up. Then shoot for the moon, Schloss, McDonnell, and Corbin (maybe).

Todd4State
06-06-2018, 10:38 PM
Your opinion on Cohen is just dead wrong

Prove it. I just provided three examples.

Todd4State
06-06-2018, 10:40 PM
You don't know a GD thing

Every program in the country always calls those two guys, every single year, and we'd be idiotic if we didn't

You know less. Way less.

Doesn't matter as long as we hire someone as good as Lane Burroughs though right? We're going to have to dodge that Ole Miss bullet again next year too.

Captain Falcon
06-06-2018, 10:40 PM
You conveniently out (read carefully) because the only coaches deserving of top of the scale pay are ones that have been to the CWS as a head coach, not an assistant.

Neither of those statements are untrue. We HAVE considered coaches that make a lot of money and HAVE gotten interest from Hall of Fame coaches. Interest doesn’t mean they guaranteed they would take the job, though. We had serious talks with two elite coaches, we just didn’t get a commitment from either. Doesn’t mean they weren’t interested.

Todd4State
06-06-2018, 10:43 PM
I know hes so bad he got us farther than we have ever been!!! He won the SEC with all those JUCO kids!!! Wes Johnson was so shitty he got hired at Arkansas!! Damn him! Why couldnt he buy a crystal ball and see that Cann was gonna let his dick get him into trouble!!!

Well then maybe Cohen should step down as AD and hire himself as the head baseball coach then.**

Let's conveniently forget 2015 with those JUCO kids, Wes Johnson's Tommy John epidemic, and maybe ask him to do a coaching search properly instead of rushing.

Todd4State
06-06-2018, 10:45 PM
Key word is hindsight based on his personal decisions this past year. But again at the end of last year I?m betting you didn?t question his coaching for most of the year. And sorry as bad as what Cann did their is no number you can divide to compare to Sandusky. His was a willing adult

When you hire a coach without any head coaching experience you are taking unnecessary risks if you are MSU. It could have turned out great and it did look that way- but at the end of the day the final result was not good.

Captain Falcon
06-06-2018, 10:47 PM
Prove it. I just provided three examples.

1. We’ve had way more JUCO success stories than failures

2. We won an SEC Title with Wes Johnson and you can’t say with 100% certainty that the arm injuries were all his fault. We’ve had many injuries after he left. Arkansas hasn’t had a million arm injuries. It could have just been a fluky thing. And it’s not like the injuries have killed us, we are still getting deep in the postseason every year.

3. The 2015 team sucked, and that’s on Cohen, but he bounced back the next year with our best team in the last 25 years. So it’s not like that season crippled up program.

I understand the frustration right now, but Cohen has done way more good than bad. And he and his new coach deserve the chance to show that MSU baseball is still on an upward trajectory.

deadheaddawg
06-06-2018, 10:48 PM
[

Neither of those statements are untrue. We HAVE considered coaches that make a lot of money and HAVE gotten interest from Hall of Fame coaches. Interest doesn’t mean they guaranteed they would take the job, though. We had serious talks with two elite coaches, we just didn’t get a commitment from either. Doesn’t mean they weren’t interested.

He said "This position WILL PAY at the top of the scale"

So keep kidding yourself so you don't have to admit it looks like he screwed up somewhere.

But only a fool would think we are paying $1.5 million plus for a guy without a big resume.

It doesn't take a genius to know when he talks about our fan base being "very happy" and the coach has "serious baseball experience as a head coach" And has" made trips to Omaha, Nebraska" that the only people that fit that criteria that will get "top of pay scale" is a big time coach.

He could still do it. The obvious choices are gone though. It would have to be out of left field. But I hope he does.

But it's clear to anyone that wants to see the truth what he meant

Todd4State
06-06-2018, 10:49 PM

Cohen needs to get this hire right. Period.

Todd4State
06-06-2018, 10:54 PM
1. We’ve had way more JUCO success stories than failures

2. We won an SEC Title with Wes Johnson and you can’t say with 100% certainty that the arm injuries were all his fault. We’ve had many injuries after he left. Arkansas hasn’t had a million arm injuries. It could have just been a fluky thing. And it’s not like the injuries have killed us, we are still getting deep in the postseason every year.

3. The 2015 team sucked, and that’s on Cohen, but he bounced back the next year with our best team in the last 25 years. So it’s not like that season crippled up program.

I understand the frustration right now, but Cohen has done way more good than bad. And he and his new coach deserve the chance to show that MSU baseball is still on an upward trajectory.

1. I'd bet our JUCO success rate is around 30% at best. For every MacNamee there's a Vansau and a Poole. And even MacNamee has taken awhile to come around.

2. Wes came in November or December after Butch was hired and rushed our guys through his program. I'd say that the odds are pretty high that most of them were his fault. I think we've only had one guy that has had Tommy John surgery from a pitcher that didn't pitch for Wes at some point in his career. We've had more pitchers with hip injuries than Tommy John surgeries recently. I agree that when Wes Johnson's plan is implemented correctly, it is a good plan. When it's not- it's dangerous.

3. Losing seasons are unacceptable at MSU.

4. I guess I won't get accused of taking up for Cohen like I have in the past.

Rejlector84sports
06-06-2018, 10:55 PM
Also don't forget that with the hires of Moorhead and Howland, Cohen has two high quality coaches that he hired in the pen to talk to those who are sheepish about coming to StarkVegas. Plus add in what Schafer did with the women's team... there's some big knowledge about "L'ill Brother" that creates interest.

msstate7
06-06-2018, 10:56 PM
Also don't forget that with the hires of Moorhead and Howland, Cohen has two high quality coaches that he hired in the pen to talk to those who are sheepish about coming to StarkVegas. Plus add in what Schafer did with the women's team... there's some big knowledge about "L'ill Brother" that creates interest.

Cohen didn't hire howland

Dawgcap
06-06-2018, 11:00 PM
Cohen needs to get this hire right. Period.

I agree! So what’s the rush?

fader2103
06-07-2018, 07:56 AM
At this point, no matter who Cohen hires, most everyone will say it was a horrible hire. Hell, reincarnate Augie Garrido and people will say it was horrible.

Liverpooldawg
06-07-2018, 08:08 AM
You people are starting to sound like the UT people did. I certainly HOPE none of you actually work in the athletic department. If you do we just need to give up.

I really don't care much about baseball, esp college baseball, but I keep up with it enough to know that our baseball program isn't nearly as "elite" as many of our fans think it is. We have an elite baseball fan base and are about to have an elite facility. We have a good baseball program that has never been truely elite.

Turfdawg67
06-07-2018, 08:28 AM
1. I'd bet our JUCO success rate is around 30% at best. For every MacNamee there's a Vansau and a Poole. And even MacNamee has taken awhile to come around.

2. Wes came in November or December after Butch was hired and rushed our guys through his program. I'd say that the odds are pretty high that most of them were his fault. I think we've only had one guy that has had Tommy John surgery from a pitcher that didn't pitch for Wes at some point in his career. We've had more pitchers with hip injuries than Tommy John surgeries recently. I agree that when Wes Johnson's plan is implemented correctly, it is a good plan. When it's not- it's dangerous.

Well three days is indeed the past... and you did one of your little bullet point lists to defend him then too.

Fred Garvin
06-07-2018, 08:33 AM

You are really working hard to find something to be disappointed about.

yjnkdawg
06-07-2018, 08:42 AM

I have since added it to my initial post. I guess opinions differ. Keeps things from getting boring.

I have since added it to my initial post.

yjnkdawg
06-07-2018, 08:51 AM
Now that you?ve given everyone part of the quote, how about you add the rest of it so we can all see what he really said.

"The coaches we are considering make a lot of money. This position will pay at the top of the scale.?

You can?t say that and go hire a G5 coach without receiving a whole lot of criticism. Taking up for him for saying that makes you look like a blind sheep.

I have edited my initial post. It was too late last night or I would have done it then. .......I certainly don't want to look like a blind sheep*** but thank you for bringing that to my attention.

tcdog70
06-07-2018, 08:57 AM

question--what is our success rate with High school Signees? I think In MSU history we have had some great JUCO's--30% seems low--did you just pull that stat out of your ass? Under Cohen haven't we been to 3 straight supers?

BankerDog
06-07-2018, 08:58 AM
Are we on the Juco argument again? Would you honestly wish we would've traded Nate Lowe, Jack Kruger, Grant Hogue, Jarron Sheppard, Alex Detz, Derrick Armstrong, Brett Pirtle, Trey Porter, Elijah, etc for Joey Swinkarski, Brant Blaylock, Dustin Skelton, Elih Marrero, Luke Alexander, who were all rated pretty high in PG??

You make the case for the Juco argument but the Jucos have actually been really good to us more so then not over the course of the last few years. Granted, we've missed on our pitching prospects the last several years but you have got to calm down on this Juco argument.

Also... Tim Tadlock. You're welcome.

Tbonewannabe
06-07-2018, 09:15 AM
Are we on the Juco argument again? Would you honestly wish we would've traded Nate Lowe, Jack Kruger, Grant Hogue, Jarron Sheppard, Alex Detz, Derrick Armstrong, Brett Pirtle, Trey Porter, Elijah, etc for Joey Swinkarski, Brant Blaylock, Dustin Skelton, Elih Marrero, Luke Alexander, who were all rated pretty high in PG??

You make the case for the Juco argument but the Jucos have actually been really good to us more so then not over the course of the last few years. Granted, we've missed on our pitching prospects the last several years but you have got to calm down on this Juco argument.

Also... Tim Tadlock. You're welcome.

I would think the biggest knock on Jucos are getting them for possibly one year. Most Jucos seem to take about 25% of the season to really get going and then they can be drafted after one season like Nate Lowe and Kruger. If they are can't miss prospects then MLB is probably getting them before they even come to MSU. I wouldn't say you don't recruit Jucos but to be juco heavy is a lot more of a gamble it seems.

yjnkdawg
06-07-2018, 09:17 AM
This is the other Cohen quote since i was accused of being a blind sheep defending Cohen.
Cohen said" The interest for this job has been above my expectations. We've had interest from Hall of Fame coaches" "The coaches we are considering make a lot of money. This position will pay at the top of the scale"

It's hard to pull high name elite hall of fame type coaches who have established elite programs, and can obtain their baseball legacy at their current school, and they also make a lot of money, unless they have some issue with their current situation, or see the move as a great opportunity. Interest and actually accepting a job are two totally different things. It could be they were putting their name out there solely to get more money from their current school, better facilities etc. Not saying that happened , but it does sometimes. I think some of that interest, whether real or not, may have made it look like we had a higher elite coaching draw than we actually do at this point in time. How could Cohen have actually dropped the ball, or screwed up when he hasn't even made a hire yet? The logical thing would be to wait and see how this plays out, and see who Cohen hires before all the drama and bitching, but I highly doubt any comments on a sports' message board will influence who Cohen hires anyway.. For a very few on this board, logic and reasoning seem to be a lost art.