PDA

View Full Version : What's a good gas grill?

FlabLoser
10-09-2013, 08:57 PM
I used to be a charcoal purist. Still am. But I'm old and burnt out. These days I'm more about convenience.

Kinda goes with my phone. A younger me would have been all over the latest tech from Samsung. But the older me prefers the stability of Apple.

And speaking of apples, I have some apple wood chips. And hickory. And mesquite.

I need a gas grill that accomodates wood chips. Maybe that's just a little steel box in side.

Also want a gas grill that cooks evenly. I had a cheapo a long time ago that was pretty much just blue flame under the grate. It didn't distribute heat any.

So...what cha got?

BeastMan
10-09-2013, 09:05 PM
I'm eyeing one of those combo charcoal/gas setups at Academy. Can't remember the brand but it look good and is under $400. Sometimes you wanna just walk outside and cook and sometimes you don't mind putting in some extra effort for some charcoal flavor. These type grills give you both those options.

Barking 13
10-10-2013, 01:42 PM
you mean the Outdoor Gourmet 4 burner combo? I looked at one but I don't like the burners, but if I can't find anything better, I may get one... for the past 10 years or so, I've been using a Kenmore Elite (sears) grill. It has 4 cast iron burners in it.. I've rebuilt it a bout 3 times. (sears parts online) I normally crank up all four to get it hot and burn it off, then cut the two inside ones off and cook on indirect heat in the middle section (except steaks). The fire diverter plates below the grates allow me to pile wood blocks in the sides (outside walls) and the outside burners help burn them. Kind of a cross between gas grill and smoker. The wood helps with the flavor, the burners and wood are used to regulate the heat.. I use peach, apple, cherry, pecan, hickory, crabapple, and sometimes oak chunks that I saw up myself into ax. 2 x 2 or 2 x 4" pieces or 1 x 3" ~ 4" diameter round discs.. I use different combinations for different things. The peach and cherry make some excellent ribs. The pecan, oak, or apples do well on chicken, and porkchops, apple... just about have it down to a science now... been cooking this way for about as long as I've had this grill.. I can put burgers on and come back in 30 min and never turn them.

FlabLoser
10-10-2013, 01:47 PM
The Great Recession killed good charcoal. The stuff just burns out too fast now days.

I am going to figure out this gas grill thing. Sick of charcoal. Tired of waiting on coals, but even more stick of the stuff burning out way too fast.

FISHDAWG
10-10-2013, 01:50 PM
you trying to cook a whole hind quarter or something ?

Barking 13
10-10-2013, 01:54 PM
you trying to cook a whole hind quarter or something ?

I can... lol Got two slabs of spares I'm going to drop on about 11 Saturday morning when I get back from fishing.... they will be ready a little after 1