PDA

View Full Version : McDonnell to stay at ul

Noxdog
06-06-2018, 06:44 PM
Looks like Godwin time.

deadheaddawg
06-06-2018, 06:44 PM
https://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/college/louisville/2018/06/06/dan-mcdonnell-mississippi-state-louisville-baseball-coach/677324002/

Big4Dawg
06-06-2018, 06:47 PM
Strike 2/3? I've lost count

CadaverDawg
06-06-2018, 06:48 PM
Cohen better text Dan Wolken for some good PR the way this thing is starting to trend.

"��"

deadheaddawg
06-06-2018, 06:49 PM
Strike 2/3? I've lost count

3. Corbin signed an extension today

Activated Alpha
06-06-2018, 06:50 PM
Glad I didn't get my hopes up this time

msstate7
06-06-2018, 06:51 PM
Glad I didn't get my hopes up this time

Like Cohen?

Bulldog1
06-06-2018, 06:54 PM
https://i0.wp.com/gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Indiana-University-Head-Coach-Bob-Knight-Throws-Chair-On-Court.gif?ssl=1

bostondawg
06-06-2018, 06:54 PM
This search is turning sour real quick.

shannondawg
06-06-2018, 06:56 PM
Do we even know they were targets

Anonymous
06-06-2018, 06:57 PM
This is really embarrassing. Had an opportunity to create more excitement than our program has ever had and we bricked.

msstate7
This search is turning sour real quick.

Wanna know how Mullen finally got a blue blood job, tenn hired butch Davis, LSU ended up with O, and tenn hired Pruitt? Panic set in... we headed there

KOdawg1
Throw money at Tadlock until he can't say no

bostondawg
06-06-2018, 06:58 PM
Wanna know how Mullen finally got a blue blood job, tenn hired butch Davis, LSU ended up with O, and tenn hired Pruitt? Panic set in... we headed there

Bingo.

Dawgcap
06-06-2018, 06:59 PM
Or maybe his future coach still has work to do. Either way this has been a difficult situation. How often do you have an opening this early in the season, coming off 2 previous runs like we had?
I never liked Cohens statements earlier but i think it was to calm the fan base and our team after a terrible March. I do believe he thought or thinks he has his guy but he woke up a lot of ADs and agents with that statement. One thing I have noticed or not seen is any kind of player uprising to keep Henderson. Maybe that’s part of the reason

deadheaddawg
06-06-2018, 07:01 PM
Do we even know they were targets

Yes. The article says he looked at our offer but decided to stay

Dawgcap
06-06-2018, 07:05 PM
Yes. The article says he looked at our offer but decided to stay

No the article said he talked with Cohen and declined to say if he had an offer

Turfdawg67
06-06-2018, 07:06 PM
Looking like Henderson folks... and "sources say" he now wants a big raise. ***

MarketingBully
06-06-2018, 07:07 PM
I’m beginning to think Preacher is right. Several media sources stated McDonnell was the guy as long as we didn’t go on the cheap. If we didn’t offer a base of $2 million to McDonnell with other very lucrative incentives, we really don’t want a national championship type coach. I’d like to understand what we offered but then again that will never leak out. At this point Cohen gets an F for the search. I really don’t care anymore who we hire at this point. I’m done.

deadheaddawg
06-06-2018, 07:13 PM

He said

"I had a chance to learn about their program and what they've accomplished," McDonnell said. "It's a great program, but ultimately we have done great things here at Louisville and we have great things left to do here"

You are kidding yourself if you think he was not offered. Why wouldn't we? Who is better that we can get?

Todd4State
06-06-2018, 07:14 PM
He said

"I had a chance to learn about their program and what they've accomplished," McDonnell said. "It's a great program, but ultimately we have done great things here at Louisville and we have great things left to do here"

You are kidding yourself if you think he was not offered. Why wouldn't we? Who is better that we can get?

It's Tadlock or bust now.

msstate7
06-06-2018, 07:16 PM
It's Tadlock or bust now.

And the problem becomes tadlock and everyone knows tadlock is 3rd or 4th down the line. After you get shot down by the elite coaches publically, other elites pass bc of the optics

Todd4State
06-06-2018, 07:17 PM
I’m beginning to think Preacher is right. Several media sources stated McDonnell was the guy as long as we didn’t go on the cheap. If we didn’t offer a base of $2 million to McDonnell with other very lucrative incentives, we really don’t want a national championship type coach. I’d like to understand what we offered but then again that will never leak out. At this point Cohen gets an F for the search. I really don’t care anymore who we hire at this point. I’m done.

I agree about the grade.

First of all he made a hire that embarrassed us in Cann. And now he runs his mouth only to get left at the alter. Next time we have a coaching search he just needs to keep his mouth shut and just say that we are interviewing promising candidates.

And it's sad because if we do hire a coach like a Godwin it's now a disappointment which isn't fair to Godwin or whoever it is.

Todd4State
06-06-2018, 07:18 PM
And the problem becomes tadlock and everyone knows tadlock is 3rd or 4th down the line. After you get shot down by the elite coaches publically, other elites pass bc of the optics

Well, not necessarily depending on how Cohen is running the search behind the scenes which we don't know at this time.

yjnkdawg
06-06-2018, 07:18 PM

It could have been this just didn't seem to be a good fit for one or the other or both. I highly doubt the lack money was why the hire didn't become a reality. Just because some one is recognized as one of the top coaches in college baseball doesn't automatically mean that he is the perfect fit for your program or vice versa. Why don't we just see who Cohen hires.

Dawgcap
06-06-2018, 07:19 PM
He said

I’m not kidding myself. You said he looked at our offer. That’s not what he said but I’m also not naive enough to think money wasn’t thrown around.

Dawgcap
06-06-2018, 07:21 PM
It could have been this just didn't seem to be a good fit for one or the other or both. I highly doubt the lack money was why the hire didn't become a reality. Just because some one is recognized as one of the top coaches in college baseball doesn't automatically mean that he is the perfect fit for your program or vice versa. Why don't we just see who Cohen hires.

And that was my point on the reply

Bass Chaser
06-06-2018, 07:24 PM
Cohen coming back. He meets the criteria.

Todd4State
06-06-2018, 07:24 PM

Good people tend to fit in many places.

Cohen has known McDonnell for years. He would know if he was a fit for our job or not.

Todd4State
06-06-2018, 07:25 PM
I’m not kidding myself. You said he looked at our offer. That’s not what he said but I’m also not naive enough to think money wasn’t thrown around.

He may be trying to negotiate for more money from us.

yjnkdawg
06-06-2018, 07:25 PM
And that was my point on the reply

I know and my reply wasn't meant to be negative toward your comment. If it seems that way, I apologize.

Dawgcap
06-06-2018, 07:28 PM
I know and my reply wasn't meant to be negative toward your comment. If it seems that way, I apologize.

Not at all. No need to apologize

Homedawg
06-06-2018, 07:29 PM
I?m beginning to think Preacher is right. Several media sources stated McDonnell was the guy as long as we didn?t go on the cheap. If we didn?t offer a base of $2 million to McDonnell with other very lucrative incentives, we really don?t want a national championship type coach. I?d like to understand what we offered but then again that will never leak out. At this point Cohen gets an F for the search. I really don?t care anymore who we hire at this point. I?m done.
You?re getting close to unbearable.... truly. Read more type less

BankerDog
06-06-2018, 07:32 PM
1st) Cohen didn't fail with the Cann hire. Cann was big time and just screwed up.
2nd) All the coaches that have been named have been to the CWS, yes. But we're getting excited over guys who have never won there. And Cohen never said going to the CWS as a HC. And I'm telling you what, Corbin was never on the list for the job the first or second time.
3rd) The guy I get all my information from text me today asking about a certain coach tied to Tim Tadlock. And I also have another source who text me saying the hire will be coming out of left field and no one will know who it is. So there is that. Have fun at it.

yjnkdawg
06-06-2018, 07:33 PM
Good people tend to fit in many places.

Cohen has known McDonnell for years. He would know if he was a fit for our job or not.

I guess we really won't ever know what actually went down or didn't go down in any negotiations since we aren't Cohen or McDonnell. Will we? Unless somebody sheds more light on it later , and I doubt that happens.

BuckyIsAB****
06-06-2018, 07:41 PM
Sounds a lot like Mullen saying he planned on being the HC next year

Quaoarsking
06-06-2018, 07:54 PM
Let's get Cannizaro on some pills that turn off his sex drive and rehire him.

Only 75% joking.

Saltydog
06-06-2018, 07:54 PM
horrible and is further proof that we're not as much of a "blue blood" as some here seem to suggest. If it's anyone other than Schloss, McDonnell, Corbin, Tadlock or possibly O'Connor then it's a failure. Is Godwin good, sure but I don't consider him one of the elite coaches in the NCAA and he surely doesn't fit Cohen's criteria. The IB's comments may come back to haunt him, ala Palmeiro. I'm wondering if we're now down to Butch and Henderson. Henderson is a good coach but he's not going to recruit.

Leroy Jenkins
06-06-2018, 07:55 PM
John Gruden?

msstate7
06-06-2018, 08:00 PM
Let's get Cannizaro on some pills that turn off his sex drive and rehire him.

Only 75% joking.

I think we have cann 2.0 (hopefully not in personal matters) in Gautreau. Gautreau was masterful developing our freshmen hitters.

I had a major man crush on cann last season, but Henderson has matched cann this season (may pass him) with a less talented roster.

MetEdDawg
06-06-2018, 08:14 PM
If we get Tadlock or Godwin, we still make a great hire. Those 2 are really good. After that, then I'm going to get a little upset. But for now, there's still really good coaches left out there that would be excellent hires.

MetEdDawg
06-06-2018, 08:16 PM
1st) Cohen didn't fail with the Cann hire. Cann was big time and just screwed up.
2nd) All the coaches that have been named have been to the CWS, yes. But we're getting excited over guys who have never won there. And Cohen never said going to the CWS as a HC. And I'm telling you what, Corbin was never on the list for the job the first or second time.
3rd) The guy I get all my information from text me today asking about a certain coach tied to Tim Tadlock. And I also have another source who text me saying the hire will be coming out of left field and no one will know who it is. So there is that. Have fun at it.

Your first point can't be emphasized enough. Cann was a great hire. Fit the culture, had the baseball sense, related well to the players. But you can't blame Cohen for him having an affair. Cann was a great hire that turned into a terrible one, not because of anything Cohen did.

Todd4State
06-06-2018, 08:23 PM
Your first point can't be emphasized enough. Cann was a great hire. Fit the culture, had the baseball sense, related well to the players. But you can't blame Cohen for him having an affair. Cann was a great hire that turned into a terrible one, not because of anything Cohen did.

Here's the problem with the Cann hire- we didn't HAVE to hire someone in November. We could have just made Henderson the interim coach and do what we are having to do now anyway. Except without an embarrassing scandal. We should have taken our time and looked at the entire pool of candidates. It was a risky hire at best.

I don't know that he fit our culture- at least at the end. After he had success he obviously became very arrogant and that's not exactly something I would associate with Mississippi State or MSU baseball from a culture standpoint.

Todd4State
06-06-2018, 08:25 PM
I think we have cann 2.0 (hopefully not in personal matters) in Gautreau. Gautreau was masterful developing our freshmen hitters.

I had a major man crush on cann last season, but Henderson has matched cann this season (may pass him) with a less talented roster.

You have to give the players a lot of credit for that too. They've gone to SR three years in a row with three different coaches. And the juniors and seniors that were around in 2016 won the SEC on top of it too.

Todd4State
06-06-2018, 08:26 PM
horrible and is further proof that we're not as much of a "blue blood" as some here seem to suggest. If it's anyone other than Schloss, McDonnell, Corbin, Tadlock or possibly O'Connor then it's a failure. Is Godwin good, sure but I don't consider him one of the elite coaches in the NCAA and he surely doesn't fit Cohen's criteria. The IB's comments may come back to haunt him, ala Palmeiro. I'm wondering if we're now down to Butch and Henderson. Henderson is a good coach but he's not going to recruit.

The most critical thing that we need next to stability at the head coach position is a head coach that can recruit.

Poor recruiting is what ultimately did Polk II in.

BuckyIsAB****
06-06-2018, 08:26 PM
Here's the problem with the Cann hire- we didn't HAVE to hire someone in November. We could have just made Henderson the interim coach and do what we are having to do now anyway. Except without an embarrassing scandal. We should have taken our time and looked at the entire pool of candidates. It was a risky hire at best.

I don't know that he fit our culture- at least at the end. After he had success he obviously became very arrogant and that's not exactly something I would associate with Mississippi State or MSU baseball from a culture standpoint.

He was Gods gift to MSU baseball till he let what any man would be tempted to do get the best of him. This argument is flawed to say the least.

How many on here were saying Cohen nailed it when he hired him? Shoulda coulda woulda. Cohen found out he was shorting MSU and sent his ass packing.

Dawgcap
06-06-2018, 08:27 PM

Not at you personally just addressing your point of a November hire. I agree so why the rush for hire while we are still playing for major goals this year?

Pit Bull
06-06-2018, 09:24 PM

I think it's Starkvegas and family........hard to see successful coaches in cities like Ft. Worth, Lubbock, Louisville, or Nashville uprooting their families who have lived in these cities for 10-15 years and come to a very small town atmosphere. Coach Howland could because he's an empty nester and his favorite past time is Bible study.....so he's a perfect fit for Starkvegas and I think he still kept his home in Santa Barbara for when he completely retires. JoMo seems more like a rural guy even though he came from big cities environment. Some coaches fit in Starkvegas....many others just don't.

The Federalist Engineer
06-06-2018, 09:36 PM
https://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/college/louisville/2018/06/06/dan-mcdonnell-mississippi-state-louisville-baseball-coach/677324002/

But Gene said..

Bothrops
06-06-2018, 09:57 PM
It's starting to feel like we either hold on to Henderson, or go the -build your own- route...again. The time to go all in may have passed us by.

Todd4State
06-06-2018, 10:03 PM
He was Gods gift to MSU baseball till he let what any man would be tempted to do get the best of him. This argument is flawed to say the least.

How many on here were saying Cohen nailed it when he hired him? Shoulda coulda woulda. Cohen found out he was shorting MSU and sent his ass packing.

Any man? What other baseball coach has been fired anywhere for what Cann did?

Todd4State
06-06-2018, 10:04 PM
Not at you personally just addressing your point of a November hire. I agree so why the rush for hire while we are still playing for major goals this year?

Oh- I absolutely agree.

The thing is we could have reached an agreement with a coach and just waited until our season was over.

BuckyIsAB****
06-06-2018, 10:05 PM
Any man? What other baseball coach has been fired anywhere for what Cann did?

I imagine a whole helluva lot.

Todd4State
06-06-2018, 10:12 PM
I imagine a whole helluva lot.

Name one. College level only.

BuckyIsAB****
06-06-2018, 10:14 PM
Name one. College level only.

Idk but thats not the point. I said what any man would be tempted to do. Not actually did. Im sure there has been one.

The only way Cohen could prevent Cann from doing that would be to tie him up or God tell him what Cann was gonna do

maroonmania
06-06-2018, 10:18 PM
Idk but thats not the point. I said what any man would be tempted to do. Not actually did. Im sure there has been one.

The only way Cohen could prevent Cann from doing that would be to tie him up or God tell him what Cann was gonna do

The issue was not so much the side piece, which many college HCs have. It was the fact that the side piece became an obsession to the point that our HC could not or would not do his job. That is indeed a very rare situation that I'm not sure how Cohen or anyone else could have foreseen.

Bothrops
06-06-2018, 10:30 PM
Canny quit doing his ******* job. Let us move on.

Goldendawg
06-06-2018, 11:19 PM
Cohen coming back. He meets the criteria.

Everyone will have to learn to bunt a lot if true!****