PDA

View Full Version : Hogs

Natedogg33
10-09-2013, 08:46 PM
I'm sure some of you guys hunt on places that have hog issues. My question is, what do y'all do to try to combat the problem? My place is on the northern end of the big black, and we've got problems. Over the years we've just shot every one we've seen. Tried traps and actually got a pen running this evening. Never had any luck trapping, but guess I'll try again.

BeastMan
10-09-2013, 08:50 PM
I know this is terrible advice but I've got some friends that have let a bunch of folks hog hunt their land. I'm sure Cadaver would be willing to help you out. I'll vouche for him being a good dude in real life

ETA-I have no idea what my phone auto corrected there

CadaverDawg
10-09-2013, 08:59 PM
I know this is terrible advice but I've some friends I have let a bunch of folks hog hunt their land. I'm sure Cadaver would be willing to help you out. I'll vouche for him being a good dude in real life

Thanks Steve. I'll be honest, I've never hunted hogs before but would love to try. I really want to eat the meat, so let me know if I can help. Maybe someone that has hunted them before can give some advice. I'll help if I can.

Natedogg33
10-09-2013, 09:13 PM
CD when the chance comes up for you to hunt hogs, shoot a 60-80 lb sow. They're by far the best to eat. If you kill a boar and it has a sharp ammonia like smell, drag it to the nearest river and sink it.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
10-10-2013, 10:39 AM
I'm sure some of you guys hunt on places that have hog issues. My question is, what do y'all do to try to combat the problem? My place is on the northern end of the big black, and we've got problems. Over the years we've just shot every one we've seen. Tried traps and actually got a pen running this evening. Never had any luck trapping, but guess I'll try again.
http://www.wirelesstraps.com/

Barking 13
10-10-2013, 10:47 AM
put out some gators...;)

Lariverdog
10-15-2013, 06:59 AM
CD when the chance comes up for you to hunt hogs, shoot a 60-80 lb sow. They're by far the best to eat. If you kill a boar and it has a sharp ammonia like smell, drag it to the nearest river and sink it.

x2. Everything else is very tasty. Where are you, I might be able to hook you up on my place.

DownwardDawg
10-15-2013, 01:23 PM
Interesting topic. I read stories and hear stories all the time about how bad hogs are in Mississippi. I work with people that bitch about hogs destroying their food plots and just causing all sorts of issues. I have hunted Mississippi all my life and I've never seen a pig. I live in Lamar county and hunt in Lawrence county near Silver Creek. There's not a single hog on our lease. I hear there are hogs all up and down Silver Creek and the Pearl River but not one where we hunt. I guess that's a good thing but I'd love to kill some of those jokers. Sometimes I just feel like killin shit!
Anybody know of a place around Lamar county I could hunt hogs?

Political Hack
10-15-2013, 07:36 PM
you can bait them easily. feed them in the same spot every day for 4-5 days and then put two or three guys on a stand and let them rip. I know the guy who owns Razorback Ridge in Georgia. People actually pay to hog hunt. They'll go dog and knife or gun and stand.

Political Hack
10-15-2013, 07:37 PM
oh, and after they shoot, and they run off, tell them to hang on because they'll be right back if there's more food left.

BeastMan
10-15-2013, 08:03 PM
Screw that dog and knife stuff. A guy in the delta last year had one of those go bad on him and the hog dang near killed him. Tore his back to shreds

Natedogg33
10-15-2013, 08:39 PM
Downwarddawg, when we bought our place, there were no hogs on it. It looked like hog country, but the locals said there were none. My suggestion is to not think about wanting them. Cause you don't. You can't kill enough of them once it starts.

WeWillScrewItUp
10-16-2013, 03:30 AM
We had them bad a few years ago and shot every pig we saw. The people who lease the land beside us started feeding corn and that has helped draw them off our place.

DownwardDawg
10-16-2013, 01:14 PM
Downwarddawg, when we bought our place, there were no hogs on it. It looked like hog country, but the locals said there were none. My suggestion is to not think about wanting them. Cause you don't. You can't kill enough of them once it starts.

That's what I hear. I wish I could find a place to hunt them but not have them on my deer lease. Best of both worlds.

HIGHDOG
10-16-2013, 02:03 PM
has anyone made sausage outa them...oughta be real lean...tom

Natedogg33
10-16-2013, 09:04 PM
The sausage is better than venison in my opinion.

BeastMan
10-16-2013, 09:43 PM
has anyone made sausage outa them...oughta be real lean...tom

It makes great tasting sausage. It's very lean so it makes not over cooking crucial.