PDA

View Full Version : Godwin

AlSwearengen
06-06-2018, 03:36 PM
Let?s discuss him with an open minded attitude in this thread. Here is the little bit that I know.
-He is very highly thought of among baseball people (should help with recruits and scouts)
-He coached under Corbin, manieri, and Bianco.
-The olemiss people were highly upset when they lost him (they revered him much the same way they did McDonnell and those are the only two that I recall them bellyaching about losing.)
-reputation as a good and maybe elite recruiter.

What else do we know?

preachermatt83
06-06-2018, 03:42 PM
He is one of the best hitting coaches in America
He is a great motivator

Tbonewannabe
06-06-2018, 05:10 PM
He seems like a great up and coming coach. Before Cohen said things about CWS trips, I think he would have been a great candidate. He knows Mississippi and has lived there. He is a great hitting coach and recruiter. Only downsides I can see is only making 1 Super and has only won 40 games twice out of 4 years. He hasn't had a losing record although he did miss a Regional last year with a 32-28 record. East Carolina has a history of making Regionals so it isn't as big of an accomplishment as Schloss, McDonnell, Corbin, or Tadlock.

BuckyIsAB****
06-06-2018, 05:18 PM
Thats all well and good but if we are who we say we are we can do better

99jc
06-06-2018, 05:21 PM
You all are trying to make lemonade out of a lemon. We did not get whom we wanted don't try to make out this guy as the top of choices. IMO if this is the choice intense bastard struck out.

fader2103
06-06-2018, 06:20 PM
When did Cohen actually say that the next head coach would have CWS appearances? Was this on a road dawg tour? Or one of his emails? Or is this one of those a booster said he said it?

Bulldog1
06-06-2018, 06:28 PM
When did Cohen actually say that the next head coach would have CWS appearances? Was this on a road dawg tour? Or one of his emails? Or is this one of those a booster said he said it?

In nearly every radio interview (OOB, H2H, etc.)

HoopsDawg
06-06-2018, 06:31 PM
I'd rather let Mangum be a player/coach for a year.

Cooterpoot
06-06-2018, 06:47 PM
And people wonder why we no longer are considered a great baseball program. It’s because of shit like this. Accepting mediocrity.

msstate7
06-06-2018, 06:52 PM
And people wonder why we no longer are considered a great baseball program. It’s because of shit like this. Accepting mediocrity.

And who should we get? We're getting shot down by the big boys

CadaverDawg
06-06-2018, 06:53 PM
If Godwin signs an extension this board will self destruct.

Cooterpoot
06-06-2018, 06:56 PM
John is finding out what I’ve had to live with my whole life. Just because Ive got the biggest **** around, doesn’t mean all the ladies want it. It’s just too big for some. You might say it’s not a good fit.

confucius say
06-06-2018, 06:57 PM

As a head coach? He never said that. Like I've been telling this board for six weeks, Cohen never said the guy would have trips to Omaha as a head coach.

msstate7
06-06-2018, 06:58 PM
John is finding out what I’ve had to live with my whole life. Just because Ive got the biggest **** around, doesn’t mean all the ladies want it. It’s just too big for some.

This made me smile

bostondawg
06-06-2018, 07:02 PM

It was on Head to Head radio show: https://247sports.com/college/mississippi-state/Article/Mississippi-State-Director-of-Athletics-Joins-Matt-Wyatt-and-Richard-Cross-On-Head-To-Head-Radio-on-Mississippi-SuperTalk-And-Talks-Diamond-Dog-Baseball-117048970

His exact quote was "This person is going to have made trips to Omaha, Nebraska." I've only been once, and given that "trips" is plural, I'd say I'm not in consideration for the head coaching job. But we've got a huge pool of candidates to choose from.

(***--I guess?)

Hambone
06-06-2018, 08:08 PM
He’s said it repeatedly. A proven head coach with multiple trips to Omaha.

WeWonItAll(Most)
06-06-2018, 08:14 PM
I admittedly don't know much about Godwin, why do people want him over Butch Thompson?

Ole Miss doesn't seem to have skipped a beat in recruiting since he left. And at a glance, he's done marginally better at ECU than previous coaches. I feel like our fans think so highly of him simply because Ole Miss fans really liked him.

Saltydog
06-06-2018, 08:47 PM
sweet.

BiscuitEater
06-06-2018, 08:47 PM
Thats all well and good but if we are who we say we are we can do better

Let's see your list of 'better' coaches we can get!

BuckyIsAB****
06-06-2018, 08:56 PM
Let's see your list of 'better' coaches we can get!

Glad you asked. Excluding the ones that are brought up non stop on this board....

1. Josh Holliday

2. Brian O'Conner

3. Dan Heefner

4. Jay Johnson

5. Matt Riser

Dawg-gone-dawgs
06-06-2018, 09:09 PM
I'd rather let Mangum be a player/coach for a year.

Wtf? What a dumb statement..I hope you are not serious

Bulldog1
06-06-2018, 09:13 PM
How about promote Gautreau to Head Coach and go get an elite pitching coach.

The Federalist Engineer
06-06-2018, 09:15 PM
Godwin is not a bad choice but we were promised: experience, multiple CWS, and hall of fame status

This coach search is now a big "whatever", maybe Godwin is not even interested in us.

The Federalist Engineer
06-06-2018, 09:16 PM
How about promote Gautreau to Head Coach and go get an elite pitching coach.

Save money for great assistants (ex pros, scouts, and pro coaching experience), hire the young Gautreau- I agree with this

Gautreau with Saarloos/Alan Dunn type pitching coach

Goldendawg
06-06-2018, 09:18 PM
Our search thus far has helped the top coaches' agents at established programs get a lot more $ and contract extensions. Now it looks like Cohen will have to pull a rabbit out of his hat for the new coach to fill the description he himself caused us to expect.

StarkVegasSteve
06-06-2018, 09:22 PM
Our search thus far has helped the top coaches' agents at established programs get a lot more $ and contract extensions. Now it looks like Cohen will have to pull a rabbit out of his hat for the new coach to fill the description he himself caused us to expect.

I think if Cohen was able to pull Tadlock he could probably save face on this hire. Gonna be tough since he's at his alma mater