PDA

View Full Version : Kendall Rogers says he had an update on our coaching search

Jarius
06-06-2018, 11:04 AM
About an hour ago. Does anyone know what he said?

Tbonewannabe
06-06-2018, 11:09 AM
The article is behind a paywall so anyone have a clue?

bobcat91
06-06-2018, 11:11 AM
He said he expects McDonnell will stay at Louisville and we get ECU coach Godwin

msstate7
06-06-2018, 11:12 AM
He said he expects McDonnell will stay at Louisville and we get ECU coach Godwin

How many CWS Godwin been to?**

I'm actually fine with Godwin

BeardoMSU
06-06-2018, 11:14 AM

wunderbar...

parabrave
06-06-2018, 11:15 AM
He threw a dart and it missed the board.

pilldawg
06-06-2018, 11:18 AM
wunderbar...

Any chance that Schlossnagle simple announced he was out because of draft night and that he will still take the job when season is over. It is fishy to me that Sarloos turned down the Rice head coaching position to remain assistant coach at TCU.

civildawg
06-06-2018, 11:20 AM

This would have been fine if Cohen didnt come out and raise the expectations but it is underwhelming. Hopefully he learns from this.

TrapGame
06-06-2018, 11:24 AM
I think Cohen counted his chickens a little too early on this one.

MarketingBully
06-06-2018, 11:27 AM
He said McDonnell is a very very serious candidate at MSU but that in the end he thinks McDonnell will stay at Louisville. Meaning his thinking is a guess not inside information. The important part is he used two very’s to say how serious a candidate McDonnell is and that is from sources. McDonnell hasn’t said no but I expect we know where things stand by tomorrow with him as I stated before he has a press conference set for tomorrow to talk about Louisville’s 2018 season.

Jarius
06-06-2018, 11:27 AM
He threw a dart and it missed the board.

In other words he put out information you didn’t want to hear so you decided to attack the most credible college baseball expert out here.

LC Dawg
06-06-2018, 11:28 AM
I think the only thing anyone knows is that Cohen is very tight lipped about coaching searches.

Jarius
06-06-2018, 11:28 AM
He said McDonnell is a very very serious candidate at MSU but that in the end he thinks McDonnell will stay at Louisville. Meaning his thinking is a guess not inside information. The important part is he used two very’s to say how serious a candidate McDonnell is and that is from sources. McDonnell hasn’t said no but I expect we know where things stand by tomorrow with him as I stated before he has a press conference set for tomorrow to talk about Louisville’s 2018 season.

Thanks

MarketingBully
06-06-2018, 11:29 AM
This is what he said. He didn’t say expects....

Kendall Rogers just posted his latest coaching buzz over on D1 baseball and he said it could happen with McDonnell and that he is a very, very serious candidate, but he thinks McDonnell will likely stay put at Louisville and MSU will likely hire Cliff Godwin from East Carolina

MarketingBully
06-06-2018, 11:31 AM
Semantics I know but Kendall is very careful with his words as well. Things are still up in the air.

msudawglb
06-06-2018, 11:32 AM
Any chance that Schlossnagle simple announced he was out because of draft night and that he will still take the job when season is over. It is fishy to me that Sarloos turned down the Rice head coaching position to remain assistant coach at TCU.

I agree. Sarloos taking his name out of the Rice coach search is fishy. First the school gives him permission to interview, then he removes his name. Seems fishy.

Bulldog1
06-06-2018, 11:41 AM
I'd be disappointed, but only because of the way Cohen talked up this hire.

Cooterpoot
06-06-2018, 11:42 AM
Godwin isn't good enough. Sorry....he's not. He's failed to advance in 2 of the 3 regionals he's been in and didn't even make a regional one year. Completely blew it this year in a really easy regional.
Would be disappointed.

msstate7
06-06-2018, 11:46 AM
So is Godwin our 4th choice behind Corbin, schloss, and McDonnell?

mparkerfd20
06-06-2018, 11:46 AM
Godwin isn't good enough. Sorry....he's not. He's failed to advance in 2 of the 3 regionals he's been in and didn't even make a regional one year. Completely blew it this year in a really easy regional.
Would be disappointed.

Agree 100%. Cohen should catch all kinds of hell if this is where we have to 'settle'.

BuckyIsAB****
06-06-2018, 12:01 PM
Cohen better at least try Tadlock before he goes to Godwin. Idc if we have to wait till the CWS is over.

State baseball should not be settling and Godwin is settling to me.

BuckyIsAB****
06-06-2018, 12:02 PM
But I honestly still believe its going to be McDonnell.

louisvilledawg
06-06-2018, 12:03 PM
If we miss on 3-4 of our top coaching options with the type of money that we think is being offered and our facilities and history, that kinda shows we're not as elite as we think we are, IMO.

I'm fine with Godwin, just seems kinda meh after you float around all the other big names.

MarketingBully
06-06-2018, 12:04 PM
But I honestly still believe its going to be McDonnell.

Yeah, that update Kendall gave was meaningless. He practically gave himself an out in both scenarios which tells me he really doesn’t know at this point.

preachermatt83
06-06-2018, 12:11 PM
You guys are reaching. Mcdonnell will stay at Louisville and we will end up with prob Godwin who will win BIG here but I agree cohen should be hammered about it. Maybe next time he will learn to keep his mouth shut.

preachermatt83
06-06-2018, 12:12 PM
Oh, and I'm not convinced cohen is willing to spend big. He low balled both Cannizzaro and Moorhead.

preachermatt83
06-06-2018, 12:13 PM
Again, I think Godwin would be a great hire but the way cohen handled the whole deal has made me lose all kinds of respect for the job he's doing.

louisvilledawg
06-06-2018, 12:16 PM
Oh, and I'm not convinced cohen is willing to spend big. He low balled both Cannizzaro and Moorhead.

Well with Cann, he was a first time head coach so wouldn't really consider that low balling.

Didn't Moorhead turn down a higher salary in order to give his assistants higher pay?

Cloak
06-06-2018, 12:16 PM
Yeah hoping its not Godwin, would be very underwhelming.

MetEdDawg
06-06-2018, 12:21 PM

You do realize Moorhead said publicly he wanted less salary because he wanted to be able to get better assistants correct? And then he went out and got those good assistants.

And you do realize Cannizzaro had zero head coaching experience previous to his job with us right? That's not low ball. That's smart financial set up. You pay for proven. You incentivize the unproven.

msbulldog
06-06-2018, 12:26 PM
Kendall Rogers has not been correct yet, he tossed out some names that we all wanted to hear. He has no inside source to what happens in John Cohen's head. He is making educated guesses.

msbulldog
06-06-2018, 12:27 PM
I am sure that whoever is hired somebody is going to be unhappy. I trust that we will all support him, because he will be 'our coach'!

Bodaski
06-06-2018, 12:37 PM

I totally disagree on the "low ball" remark. First of all, neither had HC experience other than JoMo at Fordham 2 or 3 years. Cann had none. Also, JoMo took less and it was his doings to be able to pay his assistant's more money.

Fred Garvin
06-06-2018, 12:41 PM

This doesn't make any sense. Were Cannizzario and Moorhead forced to take a low salary?

yjnkdawg
06-06-2018, 12:45 PM

Joe Mo wanted more money for his assistant coaches instead of it going toward his salary. Looking in the crystal ball. If Joe Mo produces, as expected, he should be well compensated with a base salay increase , as well as the added incentives.

On Cann, he signed a a four-year agreement with an average salary of $533,333 per year. Pretty good increase from being an assitant coach. If the money was not what he wanted then he would have probably not agreed to sign that contract.

On Cohen, and the baseball coaching hire, baseball is basically Cohen's baby (so to speak), and conncerning his top target or maybe his second choice, I don't believe money would be a factor unless it is an unrealisitic request

Tbonewannabe
06-06-2018, 12:47 PM
This doesn't make any sense. Were Cannizzario and Moorhead forced to take a low salary?

Cannizzario was paid pretty good for someone who had been in college baseball around 3 years and was a first time head coach. He was actually paid not too far off Tadlock at Texas Tech. Moorhead took a pay cut to get those great assistants. It wasn't like Cohen was willing to pay Mullen over $4 Mil and just decided to save money on a coach. Moorhead also is a first time Division 1 coach and he is paid enough that he took the job.

MedDawg
06-06-2018, 12:48 PM
Kendall Rogers has not been correct yet, he tossed out some names that we all wanted to hear. He has no inside source to what happens in John Cohen's head. He is making educated guesses.

He's also guessing what's in McDonnell's head.

BuckyIsAB****
06-06-2018, 12:49 PM
Again, I think Godwin would be a great hire but the way cohen handled the whole deal has made me lose all kinds of respect for the job he's doing.

I couldnt disagree more. I love how its went from ''We cant get Schloss/Mac/Tadlock/Corbin bc of x,y,z'' then Schloss says hes out now all of a sudden Cohen sucks because one guy of the big ones pulls his name out. Cohen has done a good of a job as you could ask. I love Cohen and loved him as a coach.

Cmon man. Godwin would be very underwhelming and we can do better if we are who we say we are.

yjnkdawg
06-06-2018, 01:08 PM

I highly doubt that Cohen told Cann or Joe Mo now this is what your contract will be and if you don't like it then I will look for somebody else. There is a thing involved called "negotiations" and for that to work, then both parties must be in agreement. So why should Cohen pay somebody more than they were in agreement to accept?. That is what you call making a good business decision by what he did, and Cohen is a good business manager.

Bodawg
06-06-2018, 01:11 PM
I couldnt disagree more. I love how its went from ''We cant get Schloss/Mac/Tadlock/Corbin bc of x,y,z'' then Schloss says hes out now all of a sudden Cohen sucks because one guy of the big ones pulls his name out. Cohen has done a good of a job as you could ask. I love Cohen and loved him as a coach.

Cmon man. Godwin would be very underwhelming and we can do better if we are who we say we are.

Agree with you Bucky. That's a little over the top Preach. We do not know what went on behind the seen with Schloss. Nothing but speculation on everyone's part. Cohen has done a great job with the hires so far. I'm not losing respect for the man, if in someone's opinion, the hire is not as spectacular as some here believe it should be. Cohen seems to be very thorough in his approach to hiring. The coach we wind up with will be more than adequate in his abilities to lead us to the promised land.

Jarius
06-06-2018, 01:19 PM

He hasn’t been correct yet? You may want to go back and look at where he tried to tell everyone that Schlossnagle was nowhere near a slam dunk when everyone on here said it was. If you think he is simply guessing you are fooling yourself. He’s not 100 % certain but he has excellent sources behind the scenes. Better a than anyone else covering this search.

whosyourdawgy
06-06-2018, 01:36 PM
All of you talking like y?all know everything about these coaches and this one is a disappointment and this one isn?t good enough need to give that shit a rest. Good lord. Cohen is meticulously organized and was a great baseball coach and loves MSU as much if not more than any of us morons on this message board. Hammer him? Puhlease! He?s going to hire a great baseball coach for us. Get off your uneducated soap boxes and just let it happen. Any of these guys y?all have mentioned are all top notch baseball coaches He wil get the best guy for us that wants to be here. If the big boys come just for the money and don?t give a rats ass about MSU, let em stay where they are. Trust Cohen and quit freaking the hell out. Just my opinion. Rail away. I?m done with these topics til the coach is hired.

Cooterpoot
06-06-2018, 01:55 PM
I would say trust Cohen too if he had a good hiring track record.

msstatelp1
06-06-2018, 01:56 PM

Cann was an unproven head coach. JoMo asked for less so he could pay his assistants more.

preachermatt83
06-06-2018, 02:28 PM
All of you talking like y?all know everything about these coaches and this one is a disappointment and this one isn?t good enough need to give that shit a rest. Good lord. Cohen is meticulously organized and was a great baseball coach and loves MSU as much if not more than any of us morons on this message board. Hammer him? Puhlease! He?s going to hire a great baseball coach for us. Get off your uneducated soap boxes and just let it happen. Any of these guys y?all have mentioned are all top notch baseball coaches He wil get the best guy for us that wants to be here. If the big boys come just for the money and don?t give a rats ass about MSU, let em stay where they are. Trust Cohen and quit freaking the hell out. Just my opinion. Rail away. I?m done with these topics til the coach is hired.
It would have never been an issue if Cohen hadn't of popped off about how huge of a hire it was gonna be.

whosyourdawgy
06-06-2018, 02:48 PM
It’s still not an issue because we haven’t hired anybody.

yjnkdawg
06-06-2018, 02:48 PM
It would have never been an issue if Cohen hadn't of popped off about how huge of a hire it was gonna be.

[Opens up a fortune cookie and it reads]...........

"MIssissippi State's Quest To Hire A Top Name Elite Baseball Coach May Still Come To Fruition"..... you just never know

basedog
06-06-2018, 03:45 PM
[Opens up a fortune cookie and it reads]...........

"MIssissippi State's Quest To Hire A Top Name Elite Baseball Coach May Still Come To Fruition"..... you just never know

That made me laugh but so true!

+1

MetEdDawg
06-06-2018, 03:51 PM
I really love how so many are blasting Cohen. When Cohen comes through with a big hire all of you should have your fan card revoked.

We haven't even made a hire, we are in the super regionals, and our fan base is losing its mind. We are our own worst enemy.

msstate7
06-06-2018, 03:52 PM
I really love how so many are blasting Cohen. When Cohen comes through with a big hire all of you should have your fan card revoked.

We haven't even made a hire, we are in the super regionals, and our fan base is losing its mind. We are our own worst enemy.

That's fair. If Cohen doesn't deliver what he promised, will you criticize him?

basedog
06-06-2018, 03:58 PM
Hey 7, we all will know how our new Coach will be in a few years, not in a few weeks or less. Patiences "grasshopper"!

Covercorner2
06-06-2018, 04:04 PM
He hasn?t been correct yet? You may want to go back and look at where he tried to tell everyone that Schlossnagle was nowhere near a slam dunk when everyone on here said it was. If you think he is simply guessing you are fooling yourself. He?s not 100 % certain but he has excellent sources behind the scenes. Better a than anyone else covering this search.

Saying something is "nowhere near a slam dunk" and it not happening does not make you "correct," it just means you worded the original statement in a very favorable way. If it happened, he would have still been "correct," right?

These media members have ways of wording speculations that give them outs.

I am sure he is well- connected, but he is also in the business of generating clicks and has a lot of experience dealing with these situations.

deadheaddawg
06-06-2018, 04:57 PM

This is a message board where we talk about Mississippi State sports. The coaching search is a huge story for us. Of course we are to talk about it.

And right now it doesn't look good. According to Cohen there is a small group of potential candidates. Maybe only 4 or 5.

2 are definately no's now.

So we have 2 or 3 candidates that quality for what we are looking for. Once lesser names start coming up in the media we are going to talk about it. That's the whole point of a message board.

MarketingBully
06-06-2018, 05:00 PM
Saying something is "nowhere near a slam dunk" and it not happening does not make you "correct," it just means you worded the original statement in a very favorable way. If it happened, he would have still been "correct," right?

These media members have ways of wording speculations that give them outs.

I am sure he is well- connected, but he is also in the business of generating clicks and has a lot of experience dealing with these situations.

His update with McDonnell this morning had so many outs there really was no sense in putting it out. Of course all MSU and Louisville fans saw was him saying he “thinks” McDonnell ends up staying but he also said McDonnell to MSU was very very serious and “could” happen. That’s like saying there are heavy storm clouds and it “could” rain but in the end I don’t think it will rain. Well, you covered yourself for both options didn’t you?

MarketingBully
06-06-2018, 05:01 PM
This is a message board where we talk about Mississippi State sports. The coaching search is a huge story for us. Of course we are to talk about it.

And right now it doesn't look good. According to Cohen there is a small group of potential candidates. Maybe only 4 or 5.

So we have 2 or 3 candidates that quality for what we are looking for. Once lesser names start coming up in the media we are going to talk about it. That's the whole point of a message board.

Who are the 2 no’s? Last I saw, Schloss was the only one to remove his name.

Turfdawg67
06-06-2018, 05:02 PM

Wrong... again.

drummerdawg
06-06-2018, 05:06 PM
Who are the 2 no’s? Last I saw, Schloss was the only one to remove his name.

Corbin I believe.

MarketingBully
06-06-2018, 05:10 PM
Corbin I believe.

Oh, he was never coming.

MetEdDawg
06-06-2018, 05:28 PM

Of course we can discuss it. But we've got people comparing this to Tennessee football and talking about how bad a job Cohen is doing. How the hell can anyone say that at this point? That's what I'm pissed about. You can't just lock down someone 24 hours after they are down coaching. Truth is that we have no clue and some are lashing out because they are scared the hire won't live up to expectations.

By the way, we have a lot more than 2 or 3 I would guess that qualify. The names out there are just speculation. Have no clue who else may be on the table. And let's just say we have 2 or 3 left. All of those are A or A+ guys. How is anyone scared about that?

Not sure how that doesn't look good. Fans establish time tables they think are reasonable yet most of us have never hired or interviewed someone where millions of dollars are on the line. Once the time table isn't lived up to its a failure. We have no clue if Corbin was even in the mix. He just fit the criteria of what Cohen said and then people start talking about the sky falling and I guess he's not coming here now.

All I'm saying is calm down and don't make this look worse than it truly is. Talk is fine. But let's confine it to reality. And the reality is that most don't know anything and assume that means nothing is going on. And that's wrong.

MarketingBully
06-06-2018, 06:43 PM
Cohen isn’t in Starkville and he’s in Louisville trying to get the McDonnell deal done. Love how no one mentions or has mentioned this. Steve stated this on the boneyard. But let’s go with what Kendall “thinks” will happen.

msstate7
06-06-2018, 06:45 PM
Cohen isn’t in Starkville and he’s in Louisville trying to get the McDonnell deal done. Love how no one mentions or has mentioned this. Steve stated this on the boneyard. But let’s go with what Kendall “thinks” will happen.

Hope it happens.

Wasn't Kendall the one that said schloss wasn't a done deal when everyone here said it was?

deadheaddawg
06-06-2018, 06:47 PM
It's official.

McDonnell staying

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/college/louisville/2018/06/06/dan-mcdonnell-mississippi-state-louisville-baseball-coach/677324002/

MarketingBully
06-06-2018, 06:48 PM
Hope it happens.

Wasn't Kendall the one that said schloss wasn't a done deal when everyone here said it was?

Well now reports are saying he’s staying at Louisville. He ain’t winning a title there but good luck I guess...

MarketingBully
06-06-2018, 06:48 PM
It's official.

McDonnell staying

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/college/louisville/2018/06/06/dan-mcdonnell-mississippi-state-louisville-baseball-coach/677324002/

It’s a shame because he’s not winning a natty there.

yjnkdawg
06-06-2018, 07:07 PM
DELETE

msstate7
06-06-2018, 07:10 PM
OH No ! The sky is falling or maybe it has already fallen. Meltdowns and drama are trending. I knew Cohen would screw this up. The message board coaches are frantically calling their "sources" to hopefully get a Division II baseball Coach!*** Why doesn't everybody just wait and see who Cohen hires and let this thing play out. Then you can bitch and gripe like some on here thrive on.

Why didn't Cohen just not make those guarantees? No one here would be freaking out over schloss, Corbin, and McDonnell turning us down if Cohen hadn't run his mouth. I didn't think there was a chance of landing one of those 3 until Cohen said what he did. Cohen thought he had schloss, but Cohen was wrong

Todd4State
06-06-2018, 07:12 PM
Why didn't Cohen just not make those guarantees? No one here would be freaking out over schloss, Corbin, and McDonnell turning us down if Cohen hadn't run his mouth. I didn't think there was a chance of landing one of those 3 until Cohen said what he did. Cohen thought he had schloss, but Cohen was wrong

Exactly.

Now if Cohen doesn't land Tadlock he's going to get blasted.

TNDawg35
06-06-2018, 07:21 PM
Regardless of what Cohen said, I think Godwin would do awesome here. He knows the area, he is a hell of a recruiter. Look what Hendo did with this team and we have the majority coming back next yr. I just hope whoever Cohen gets, keeps Gautrua (sp)

06-06-2018, 07:26 PM
Of course we can discuss it. But we've got people comparing this to Tennessee football and talking about how bad a job Cohen is doing. How the hell can anyone say that at this point? That's what I'm pissed about. You can't just lock down someone 24 hours after they are down coaching. Truth is that we have no clue and some are lashing out because they are scared the hire won't live up to expectations.

By the way, we have a lot more than 2 or 3 I would guess that qualify. The names out there are just speculation. Have no clue who else may be on the table. And let's just say we have 2 or 3 left. All of those are A or A+ guys. How is anyone scared about that?

Not sure how that doesn't look good. Fans establish time tables they think are reasonable yet most of us have never hired or interviewed someone where millions of dollars are on the line. Once the time table isn't lived up to its a failure. We have no clue if Corbin was even in the mix. He just fit the criteria of what Cohen said and then people start talking about the sky falling and I guess he's not coming here now.

All I'm saying is calm down and don't make this look worse than it truly is. Talk is fine. But let's confine it to reality. And the reality is that most don't know anything and assume that means nothing is going on. And that's wrong.

They are idiots, just let them be

They took Cohen's words out of context, because that's what idiots do

What Cohen lined out could be any number of assistant coaches

I seen it dawg
06-06-2018, 07:29 PM
I'd just as soon hire Gautreau and pay a pitching guy top dollar to come in...like Wes Johnson...if it ain't mcd or schloss then let's go Gautreau.

MarketingBully
06-06-2018, 07:32 PM
I'd just as soon hire Gautreau and pay a pitching guy top dollar to come in...like Wes Johnson...if it ain't mcd or schloss then let's go Gautreau.

I could get behind that. He could be like McDonnell ala 2007.

msstate7
06-06-2018, 07:33 PM
They are idiots, just let them be

They took Cohen's words out of context, because that's what idiots do

What Cohen lined out could be any number of assistant coaches
Yet the 2 guys that have publicly turned us down are guys that have been to "multiple CWS".

06-06-2018, 07:36 PM
Yet the 2 guys that have publicly turned us down are guys that have been to "multiple CWS".

Are there not any more of them?

Chill out dude, ya'll are insane, there's nobody I trust more to make a baseball hire than Cohen, look at all his assistant coaches now that have head jobs

msstate7
06-06-2018, 07:38 PM
Are there not any more of them?

Chill out dude, ya'll are insane, there's nobody I trust more to make a baseball hire than Cohen, look at all his assistant coaches now that have head jobs

Well to be fair, he's having to make this hire bc he messed up 1 already

BankerDog
06-06-2018, 07:41 PM

I've actually suggest this myself ISD. I believe Gautreau is going to be a star soon.

Todd4State
06-06-2018, 07:42 PM

Exactly. He impulsively hired Cann and that turned out bad from a PR standpoint. Now Cohen runs his mouth and even if we get someone good it's now a disappointment because there are no mid major coaches that are "HOF coaches that have been to Omaha multiple times".

If he doesn't land Tadlock or come back to McDonnell with a better offer like Alabama did with Saban- I'm pissed.

Todd4State
06-06-2018, 07:43 PM

Truth be told he has a hell of a lot more to do with our success than Henderson.

Bully13
06-06-2018, 07:45 PM
Exactly. He impulsively hired Cann and that turned out bad from a PR standpoint. Now Cohen runs his mouth and even if we get someone good it's now a disappointment because there are no mid major coaches that are "HOF coaches that have been to Omaha multiple times".

If he doesn't land Tadlock or come back to McDonnell with a better offer like Alabama did with Saban- I'm pissed.

And we'd have a RIGHT to be pissed. Cohen needs to learn about running his 17ing mouth just like Nick and the haircut. I hope this works out well for us though. I hope my wadded up panties get straightened out real soon.

06-06-2018, 07:45 PM

Cannizaro was a fantastic hire and would have won big here

Nobody could have seen that other stuff coming, not even all you awesome internet warriors

KOdawg1
06-06-2018, 07:47 PM

I can get behind this.

msstate7
06-06-2018, 07:47 PM

Nobody could have seen that other stuff coming, not even all you awesome internet warriors

It doesn't matter the circumstances. If you have to fire a guy barely over a year from hiring him, you messed up

Bully13
06-06-2018, 07:50 PM

Hindsight's always 20/20 but I don't think Cann had a chance. Side Pieces were eventually gonna derail the dude. Not blaming Cohen though because he's an AD and a baseball coach, not a psychologist.

BuckyIsAB****
06-06-2018, 07:51 PM
It doesn't matter the circumstances. If you have to fire a guy barely over a year from hiring him, you messed up

Thats totally unfair. Hindsight is 20/20. Only way Cohen would have known Cann would be a total piece of shit was if he could read the future.

Cohen has done more for MSU than the vast majority of keyboard AD's and coaches on this board has.

06-06-2018, 07:51 PM
And he's also correcting it, give the man a chance to do his job, go talk about the Braves instead of running down an AD who's doing the best he can, the one thing you'll NEVER say about Cohen is he is not giving everything he has for the school

I'm out anyway, you idiots are hopeless

FAHR coendzzz derp

yjnkdawg
06-06-2018, 07:52 PM

This is Cohen's quote. “This person is going to have serious baseball experience as a head coach. This person is going to have made trips to Omaha, Nebraska. This person is going to have expertise in an area of the game and in all facets of the game. And this person is going to make our fan base very happy.” He didn't say the trips to Omaha were in the capacity as head coach. So where has he failed so far?

yjnkdawg
06-06-2018, 07:57 PM

Out of your 42,000 + posts this is one of your dumbest. Cohen is not a mind reader.

msstate7
06-06-2018, 08:08 PM
Out of your 42,000 + posts this is one of your dumbest. Cohen is not a mind reader.

BS! Cann's own school passed him over. That could be pure coincidence that a CUSA passed him over but an sec blueblood hires him or it could be Tulane knew things we didn't

BuckyIsAB****
06-06-2018, 08:38 PM
BS! Cann's own school passed him over. That could be pure coincidence that a CUSA passed him over but an sec blueblood hires him or it could be Tulane knew things we didn't

Or maybe Tulane couldnt pay him enough to compete or Cann told them he wasnt interested

dawgs
06-06-2018, 09:04 PM
All I know is the further down the list we go, the more pressure there will be to win immediately. Kinda ironic, but if McDonnell or Schlossnagle took a year or 2 to get rolling, we'd all give them the benefit of the doubt. If Godwin or butch or the Purdue coach come in and underachieve for a year or 2, cohen's ass will be coaching high school baseball in a few years.

yjnkdawg
06-06-2018, 09:05 PM

You or I neither one know what Tulane's AD's agenda was on hiring a baseball coach. But it could be that Jewett was 45 years old. He had 4 years of assistant coaching experience at Vandy and 10 years of coaching experience at some west coast schools. A little more coaching experience I would say.

preachermatt83
06-06-2018, 09:07 PM

Nailed it

preachermatt83
06-06-2018, 09:08 PM

It is the job of any leader is to be a tremendous judge of character.

Todd4State
06-06-2018, 09:12 PM
All I know is the further down the list we go, the more pressure there will be to win immediately. Kinda ironic, but if McDonnell or Schlossnagle took a year or 2 to get rolling, we'd all give them the benefit of the doubt. If Godwin or butch or the Purdue coach come in and underachieve for a year or 2, cohen's ass will be coaching high school baseball in a few years.

I don't know about that given the fact that we have been to three SR's in a row now.

MetEdDawg
06-06-2018, 09:16 PM

Point to where in Cannizaro's history that would have made it known to Cohen that Cann would have an affair with an athletic department staffer.

Todd4State
06-06-2018, 09:19 PM
Point to where in Cannizaro's history that would have made it known to Cohen that Cann would have an affair with an athletic department staffer.

At the same time- that's why you hire someone with head coaching experience.

06-06-2018, 09:21 PM

JoMo might have something to say about that

Bunch of blowhards on this board tonight

I seen it dawg
06-06-2018, 09:21 PM

Head coaching experience has zero to do with keeping your cock in your shorts and out of the office whores mouth.

06-06-2018, 09:23 PM

Yeah like Vandy and Florida did

They are shining their natty trophies right about now, while we're beating each other up over a "sitting" head coach

only Miss stake fans

dawgs
06-06-2018, 09:25 PM
JoMo might have something to say about that

Bunch of blowhards on this board tonight

I know where we stand in football. Moorhead is the kinda of coach we can expect to hire, just like Mullen was. In baseball we expect better. No university and fan base backs baseball like we do. None.

Jarius
06-06-2018, 10:27 PM
This is Cohen's quote. “This person is going to have serious baseball experience as a head coach. This person is going to have made trips to Omaha, Nebraska. This person is going to have expertise in an area of the game and in all facets of the game. And this person is going to make our fan base very happy.” He didn't say the trips to Omaha were in the capacity as head coach. So where has he failed so far?

That’s not his entire quote

"The interest for this job has been above my expectations. We've had interest from Hall of Fame coaches"

"The coaches we are considering make a lot of money. This position will pay at the top of the scale".

If you expected Cliff Godwin after he ran his mouth with all of those quotes combined, you’re the only one. Now, because he is too cocky and arrogant to keep his mouth shut before he had a deal done, the new coach is not going to get the welcome that he deserves. Every single bit of this is Cohen’s fault. He’s a rookie AD that got taken Advantage of by agents.

preachermatt83
06-06-2018, 10:31 PM
That’s not his entire quote

"The interest for this job has been above my expectations. We've had interest from Hall of Fame coaches"

"The coaches we are considering make a lot of money. This position will pay at the top of the scale".

If you expected Cliff Godwin after he ran his mouth with all of those quotes combined, you’re the only one. Now, because he is too cocky and arrogant to keep his mouth shut before he had a deal done, the new coach is not going to get the welcome that he deserves. Every single bit of this is Cohen’s fault. He’s a rookie AD that got taken Advantage of by agents.

This is an exceptional post. Rep given.

deadheaddawg
06-07-2018, 12:37 AM

The devil is always there to trick you. Sometimes you can do everything right and a guy still has things hidden from you.

What y'all are saying is bad luck is a mistake. That's pretty damn stupid

Johnson85
06-07-2018, 07:17 AM
That?s not his entire quote

If you expected Cliff Godwin after he ran his mouth with all of those quotes combined, you?re the only one. Now, because he is too cocky and arrogant to keep his mouth shut before he had a deal done, the new coach is not going to get the welcome that he deserves. Every single bit of this is Cohen?s fault. He?s a rookie AD that got taken Advantage of by agents.

If a coach doesn't get the welcome he deserves, that will be the fans fault, not cohens. If we actually are hostile t the coach because he's not schhcloss or mcd, then we are the baseball version of Tennessee football and we deserve to lose just like they do.

gravedigger
06-07-2018, 07:59 AM
That?s not his entire quote

If you expected Cliff Godwin after he ran his mouth with all of those quotes combined, you?re the only one. Now, because he is too cocky and arrogant to keep his mouth shut before he had a deal done, the new coach is not going to get the welcome that he deserves. Every single bit of this is Cohen?s fault. He?s a rookie AD that got taken Advantage of by agents.

What it does show is that internet speculation about what a coach/AD says is worthless.

Cohen knows what it takes to get the job done. And he will get it done. In spite of the uninformed opinions and expectations of the internet fan base.

One thing I know is certain. Everyone on this board who is crying about Cohen's words misleading them will not own that they were wrong when it proves to be a great hire.

So I'll say it for you worry warts in advance........'Cant we just all enjoy this success without bringing up the past?'

Happens every time. There is medicine for this if you just go to the doctor.

Turfdawg67
06-07-2018, 08:47 AM

Well whoever hired you lacked that quality too. Hey, tell us more about the 'hide poster button', I know someone I'd like to use it on...

Dawgology
06-07-2018, 11:11 AM

If you have developed a foolproof way of judging character pre-employment please share it with the rest of the world. You will be a millionaire.

As an ACTUAL leader I will say that you can only do so much pre-employment. You look at a resume, interview the person, and talk to references and current/previous employers. But there is a lot of subterfuge in this process. If a current employer wants to get rid of a problem employee they will often give glowing recommendations in hopes of losing said employee with no fuss on their end. Often things are covered up to help the company or to avoid litigation. References are afraid of being sued these days so they will usually "no comment" or "they were a good employee". Most people can mask their true nature for 6 months to a year so even that can be shady.

Just because you fire someone within a year doesn't mean that you failed it often just means you were deceived. It takes some stones to fire someone within the first year because so many people want to "give a second chance". Cohen made a definitive statement when he canned Cann.

Jack Lambert
06-07-2018, 11:15 AM
If you have developed a foolproof way of judging character pre-employment please share it with the rest of the world. You will be a millionaire.

As an ACTUAL leader I will say that you can only do so much pre-employment. You look at a resume, interview the person, and talk to references and current/previous employers. But there is a lot of subterfuge in this process. If a current employer wants to get rid of a problem employee they will often give glowing recommendations in hopes of losing said employee with no fuss on their end. Often things are covered up to help the company or to avoid litigation. References are afraid of being sued these days so they will usually "no comment" or "they were a good employee". Most people can mask their true nature for 6 months to a year so even that can be shady.

Just because you fire someone within a year doesn't mean that you failed it often just means you were deceived. It takes some stones to fire someone within the first year because so many people want to "give a second chance". Cohen made a definitive statement when he canned Cann.

He's got it figured out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXYb0lAxylw

KB21
06-07-2018, 12:01 PM
What this shows is what I said when the job first opened up. College baseball coaches who have built the programs they are at do not leave that program. That's what we are dealing with here. John has shot high, he said some things too soon, and now he's going to get some backlash for it. The fact is though, those that thought we were actually going to pull Schlossnagle away from TCU when Texas couldn't do it, or pull in McDonnell when even South Carolina had to hire a guy coaching at South Florida simply ignored that it had a very low percentage chance of happening anyway.

yjnkdawg
06-07-2018, 12:09 PM

In a fantasy world, what you say is correct. In the real business world it's really not that easy. You can check with former employers, actually do somewhat of a background check, go by what is on their resume , interview and even if all that seems to work out you can still have employee issues pop up that you would not even imagine happening. Oh, and when you are interviewing them they can blow smoke, and really sound like they are the perfect employee that you are lookng for. When in actuality they may have drinking problems, marriage issues, always late for work, absent a lot, don't possess the expertise they portrayed on their resume, and/or in the actual interview process, And another thing former employers aren't going to always tell you the whole story. Sometimes they do not want to get involved as that former employee is not their problem any more. Sorry Preacher, I have been there and done that on the hiring side for many years. So if that is your thinking then you are clueless on this particular subject. I also stand by my comment " one of your dumbest" on 7's comment . If you both actually think that , then both of you are clueless of what actually happens in the real business world, and not based upon some fantasy message board postings.

jtdog
06-07-2018, 12:11 PM
What this shows is what I said when the job first opened up. College baseball coaches who have built the programs they are at do not leave that program. That's what we are dealing with here. John has shot high, he said some things too soon, and now he's going to get some backlash for it. The fact is though, those that thought we were actually going to pull Schlossnagle away from TCU when Texas couldn't do it, or pull in McDonnell when even South Carolina had to hire a guy coaching at South Florida simply ignored that it had a very low percentage chance of happening anyway.

Touch? KB, you got it!