PDA

View Full Version : 10 years ago today... A major event in MSU history

ScoobaDawg
06-06-2018, 08:56 AM
John Cohen was announced to be our next head coach by the Ninja. Despite Ron Polks wishes.

Bully13
06-06-2018, 09:08 AM
And Polk tried to mow us down on the beach head but in the end, good guys won.

msudawglb
06-06-2018, 09:24 AM
John Cohen was announced to be our next head coach by the Ninja. Despite Ron Polks wishes.

I got told an interesting Cohen story the other day. A lady I work with is the mother of a previously top 10 MLB draft pick...a pitcher. She was telling me about her son being recruited and that in the end her son's choice came down to either MSU or another SEC team. The deciding factor was Cohen and his recruitment style. She said that he came across as a smug ass hole and he disrespected the mother in her own house. So, the kid picked the other SEC team. The only factor that got the kid to seriously consider MSU was Butch Thompson. She even went on to say that a player they know on the MSU team when Cohen was coaching said that most of the players didn't like him that much.

BulldogtheMS
06-06-2018, 09:41 AM
I got told an interesting Cohen story the other day. A lady I work with is the mother of a previously top 10 MLB draft pick...a pitcher. She was telling me about her son being recruited and that in the end her son's choice came down to either MSU or another SEC team. The deciding factor was Cohen and his recruitment style. She said that he came across as a smug ass hole and he disrespected the mother in her own house. So, the kid picked the other SEC team. The only factor that got the kid to seriously consider MSU was Butch Thompson. She even went on to say that a player they know on the MSU team when Cohen was coaching said that most of the players didn't like him that much.

Explain to me why you thought it was a good idea to spend valuable minutes of your life to type this up, proof read it, and hit send?

ScoobaDawg
06-06-2018, 09:49 AM

There's a reason why he is called an Intense Bastard... That guy is was super dedicated to excellence and winning as our coach and might be even more now. Now his first few years, yea he pissed the players off and maybe some recruits because of his intensity and coaching style (while Polk coddled them..) Look at where it got us. And I sure as hell wouldn't complain or change a damn thing (minus us having another starting pitcher in 2013 worth a damn...)

msudawglb
06-06-2018, 10:02 AM
Explain to me why you thought it was a good idea to spend valuable minutes of your life to type this up, proof read it, and hit send?

Ok, I'll explain. I thought it was an interesting insight to Cohen on a personal level since I don't know the guy. I in no way regret Cohen being hired as our baseball coach because it led to him becoming our AD. Maybe he is better suited as AD. I think he's been doing a much better job as AD than he did as baseball coach. So far, he's been incredible as AD.

Jack Lambert
06-06-2018, 12:31 PM
Ok, I'll explain. I thought it was an interesting insight to Cohen on a personal level since I don't know the guy. I in no way regret Cohen being hired as our baseball coach because it led to him becoming our AD. Maybe he is better suited as AD. I think he's been doing a much better job as AD than he did as baseball coach. So far, he's been incredible as AD.

I think it was pretty common knowledge Cohen didn't have the "I love you Man" personality. People use to get turned off from him because of the way he cursed during the game.

He's probably in the best position now at MSU.