PDA

View Full Version : Brian OConner

preachermatt83
06-05-2018, 11:22 PM
Why has he not gotten more talk for the job? Surely it's not just because he struggled this season. He's been amazing at Virginia for years!!

State82
06-05-2018, 11:27 PM
He was my first choice when we hired Cohen. I would still be ok with it but I've kinda cooled on him lately.

preachermatt83
06-05-2018, 11:28 PM
He only makes 700k a year. I'm starting to see that there are several candidates cohen could go after that are "big names"

Mcdonnell(1.2mil)
O'Connor(700k)
Tadlock(700k)
Casey(900k)
Corbin(Wont happen)
Schloss(didn't happen)
Savage(don't won't)

preachermatt83
06-05-2018, 11:28 PM
He was my first choice when we hired Cohen. I would still be ok with it but I've kinda cooled on him lately.

Other than this one season he's been a miracle worker there.

State82
06-05-2018, 11:51 PM
Other than this one season he's been a miracle worker there.

You're right and for years I thought he was a top 5 collegiate coach. And maybe he still is. Obviously there are several I would take over him, but he would still in no way be a hire to sneeze at for sure.

Todd4State
06-06-2018, 12:12 AM
Not likely a candidate because of his friendship with Manieri. There are also some criticisms about how Virginia handles their pitchers that I have heard recently. While they won a National Title they may be on the decline as they only went 29-25 this year. Could just be a down year too.

Bully13
06-06-2018, 08:01 AM
If John Grisham's still holding a grudge, I doubt we'd even be allowed to talk to the VA coach.

ShotgunDawg
06-06-2018, 09:13 AM
FWIW, I think O'Connor has done a great job at UVA, but I would not hire him.

O'Connor's program is about cloning players & I don't think that is a good fit at MSU. UVA is probably the most over coached, stereotype of a suburban, everybody hit the same way hitting facility & everyone pitch the same way pitching coach.

Not a huge fan of his style, while respecting that it works for the UVA demographic

06-06-2018, 09:38 AM
Not likely a candidate because of his friendship with Manieri. There are also some criticisms about how Virginia handles their pitchers that I have heard recently. While they won a National Title they may be on the decline as they only went 29-25 this year. Could just be a down year too.

Godwin coached under Maneiri too, so if your criteria is correct, he's likely not a candidate

yjnkdawg
06-06-2018, 12:08 PM
Godwin coached under Maneiri too, so if your criteria is correct, he's likely not a candidate

Maybe I'm missing something here, but I don't see where a coach who coached under another coach would not consider a job for that reason. It is a business decision, but they should be able to still stay friends. If not, then it would appear to be that is not too much of a friendship. Now if they had some type of agreement that they would not coach against each other, but that is pretty far fetched to say the least. Of course, with it being Maneiri, being involved, it wouldn't surprise me, that he would not want to possibly get his lil ole pride hurt, by losing to one of his former coaches.

BuckyIsAB****
06-06-2018, 12:10 PM
Agreed. Would be happy with him. Like I've said I also like Josh Holliday and Okie St and Dan Heefner of DBU

Bulldog1
06-06-2018, 12:12 PM
Agreed. Would be happy with him. Like I've said I also like Josh Holliday and Okie St and Dan Heefner of DBU

Yes. Heefner would be a great hire! So would Holiday.

ShotgunDawg
06-06-2018, 12:20 PM
Yes. Heefner would be a great hire! So would Holiday.

I wouldn't do Holiday

Bulldog1
06-06-2018, 12:27 PM
I wouldn't do Holiday

I don't know much about him but isn't he one of the top recruiters? But I'd rather have Heefner.

BuckyIsAB****
06-06-2018, 12:46 PM
I don't know much about him but isn't he one of the top recruiters? But I'd rather have Heefner.

He took Oklahoma St to Omaha. Something Godwin or Heefner hasnt done. I wouldnt know about recruiting

Todd4State
06-06-2018, 01:09 PM

O'Connor and Manieri are very close friends. Manieri and Godwin as far as I know are not.

ShotgunDawg
06-06-2018, 01:20 PM

I think he stinks at recruiting

Bulldog1
06-06-2018, 01:22 PM
I think he stinks at recruiting

Well then give me Heefner.