PDA

View Full Version : What I think happens with the coaching search

preachermatt83
06-05-2018, 06:10 PM
I think cohen goes after Mcdonnell first, if he says no(I think he will) he will go after Tadlock.... if he says no or they can't agree to terms the cohen will hire Godwin. Having said that all three would be HUGE hires but Godwin would be a disappointment to many of our fans. My argument would be that I honestly believe Godwin will be for us exactly what schloss and McDonnell has been for tcu and Louisville.

BuckyIsAB****
06-05-2018, 06:35 PM
Is Godwin the guy from ECU

Todd4State
06-05-2018, 06:37 PM
My two cents:

IF we miss on the big fish I would much rather see us go after an up and coming mid major coach before we go after the former Cohen assistant tree.

Todd4State
06-05-2018, 06:38 PM
Is Godwin the guy from ECU

Yes.

Leeshouldveflanked
06-05-2018, 06:41 PM
Cohen has had almost 4 months to look for and sign a coach.... I understand he couldn't contact prospective coaches directly during this time, but this is plenty of time to have plan A, B and C in place.

BuckyIsAB****
06-05-2018, 06:45 PM
Is Godwin supposed to be good or something? He hasnt been to Omaha from what I've seen.

I like Josh Holliday from Oklahoma St and Dan Heefner from Dallas Baptist

Bully13
06-05-2018, 06:47 PM
My two cents:

IF we miss on the big fish I would much rather see us go after an up and coming mid major coach before we go after the former Cohen assistant tree.

Don't even go there. Don't.

preachermatt83
06-05-2018, 06:52 PM
Is Godwin supposed to be good or something? He hasnt been to Omaha from what I've seen.

Go look at what he's done at east Carolina. And the one year the rebs actually didn't crap out was with Godwin as hitting coach.

Leroy Jenkins
06-05-2018, 07:03 PM
What was the timing between Louisville's season ending and Shlossnagle's announcement?

confucius say
06-05-2018, 07:05 PM
What was the timing between Louisville's season ending and Shlossnagle's announcement?

About 30 minutes

Todd4State
06-05-2018, 07:07 PM

Godwin is revered at Ole Miss as an assistant so of course our fans think he is all world too. I do think he is a good coach though.

BuckyIsAB****
06-05-2018, 07:33 PM
Godwin is revered at Ole Miss as an assistant so of course our fans think he is all world too. I do think he is a good coach though.

He would have experience in state, I just would be disappointed tbh. I want a proven guy. Like been to omaha proven. Apparently so does Cohen.

Honestly I dont think we have to worry about it and McDonnell comes to Stark

preachermatt83
06-05-2018, 07:37 PM
He would have experience in state, I just would be disappointed tbh. I want a proven guy. Like been to omaha proven. Apparently so does Cohen.

Honestly I dont think we have to worry about it and McDonnell comes to Stark

I sure hope you are right but I just don't see him leaving Louisville.

BB30
06-05-2018, 07:56 PM
Cohen just needs to ask MC what his number is if he has one and cut the check at this point. If we don’t land a proven winner this time around there are going to be a lot of disappointed fans that will go Into the season already negative. If you have to pay the guy 2 million pay him. It is one sport we actually have a decent history and chance to win a national title in. I say go for it.

Cooterpoot
06-05-2018, 08:48 PM
Godwin is a ok hire but not great. I’d take Butch over him. Similar hire.

preachermatt83
06-05-2018, 08:50 PM
Cohen just needs to ask MC what his number is if he has one and cut the check at this point. If we don’t land a proven winner this time around there are going to be a lot of disappointed fans that will go Into the season already negative. If you have to pay the guy 2 million pay him. It is one sport we actually have a decent history and chance to win a national title in. I say go for it.

I agree completely

preachermatt83
06-05-2018, 08:51 PM
Godwin is a ok hire but not great. I’d take Butch over him. Similar hire.

I'd rather have Godwin than butch.

Cooterpoot
06-05-2018, 09:09 PM
I’d rather have neither really.

deltadawg99
06-05-2018, 09:10 PM
Butch or Goodwin would be a major disappointment.

Cohen has had months to work on this hire and both of those guys aren’t going to win a national championship or make us any better then what we are now.

Pit Bull
06-05-2018, 09:21 PM
What about TennTech's coach? Anybody like him other than the fact he just did us a huge favor at UNWM at Oxford.

ScoobaDawg
06-05-2018, 09:23 PM
What about TennTech's coach? Anybody like him other than the fact he just did us a huge favor at UNWM at Oxford.

You are really become one of the worst posters.... Geez

Hell no

DownwardDawg
06-05-2018, 09:26 PM
What about the young dude at SE Louisiana??

AlSwearengen
06-05-2018, 09:28 PM
Kendall Rogers mentioned Godwin as someone that we might look at. He was pretty high on Godwin, mentioning that he had coached under Bianco and Mainieri, among others that I can?t remember. Said he was a good recruiter as well.

messageboardsuperhero
06-05-2018, 09:31 PM
Here’s what I know about the coaching search... Nobody knows shit about it or who we will hire, and they won’t until the deal is done. Those who are talking don’t know and those who know aren’t talking. This has become painfully obvious over the last couple of weeks.

Godwin would be a good coach and had you told me when this first started in February that he was going to be the hire, I would have been really pleased. Here’s the issue though- Cohen has been running his mouth the last couple of months about how we had hall of fame coaches interested, we are going to hire a coach who has made tripS to Omaha, he will have extensive head coaching experience at the highest level, he will make everyone very happy, etc. Cohen has set himself up for fallout if it is not a McDonnell/Tadlock type.

So while I really like Godwin and think he wouldn’t end up being a disappointment long-term- hiring him would be a disappointment on the front end because of the things John has said publicly... And I don’t think you can necessarily blame the fanbase for that. I have faith in Cohen, but if it’s not a sitting P5 coach like McDonnell, Tadlock, or Corbin, he will deserve a little bit of the negativity that comes his way.

msstate7
06-05-2018, 09:34 PM
Here?s what I know about the coaching search... Nobody knows shit about it or who we will hire, and they won?t until the deal is done. Those who are talking don?t know and those who know aren?t talking. This has become painfully obvious over the last couple of weeks.

Godwin would be a good coach and had you told me when this first started in February that he was going to be the hire, I would have been really pleased. Here?s the issue though- Cohen has been running his mouth the last couple of months about how we had hall of fame coaches interested, we are going to hire a coach who has made tripS to Omaha, he will have extensive head coaching experience at the highest level, he will make everyone very happy, etc. Cohen has set himself up for fallout if it is not a McDonnell/Tadlock type.

So while I really like Godwin and think he wouldn?t end up being a disappointment long-term- hiring him would be a disappointment on the front end because of the things John has said publicly... And I don?t think you can necessarily blame the fanbase for that. I have faith in Cohen, but if it?s not a sitting P5 coach like McDonnell, Tadlock, or Corbin, he will deserve a little bit of the negativity that comes his way.

Those comments were dumb. Even if you have the guy, just say nothing and wow college baseball with the HR

deadheaddawg
06-05-2018, 09:45 PM
Those comments were dumb. Even if you have the guy, just say nothing and wow the college baseball with the HR

Yep. It was a mistake to say it even if we hire McDonnell

preachermatt83
06-05-2018, 09:57 PM
Butch or Goodwin would be a major disappointment.

Cohen has had months to work on this hire and both of those guys aren?t going to win a national championship or make us any better then what we are now.
Godwin can go to regionals and supers at freakin east Carolina but can't win a natty here. Oh ok. Geez.

preachermatt83
06-05-2018, 09:58 PM

Hell no

Opinions not accepted here!! ***

HoopsDawg
06-05-2018, 10:04 PM

Dan freakin Heefner. That's my dude. I would be pumped.

preachermatt83
06-05-2018, 10:05 PM
Kendall Rogers mentioned Godwin as someone that we might look at. He was pretty high on Godwin, mentioning that he had coached under Bianco and Mainieri, among others that I can?t remember. Said he was a good recruiter as well.

Yup. Exactly right. He's coached with Corbin too. He's winning like crazy at east Carolina. He would win BIG here. Cohen just got everyone's hopes up (mainly because ppl read too much into what he said.. he never said Omaha AS a HC). If Cohen had just kept his mouth shut and we had hired cliff Godwin we would all be crowing about what a great hire. If you don't think Godwin is a great coach that would win huge here then I don't know what to tell you. Schloss or McDonnell neither one would do more at east Carolina than Godwin has. Stop just trying to win a press conference and go look at the mans resume'. We have a ton of fans that are much more suited to being OM fans than state fans. I could care less what anyone else thinks. If the dude can win who cares if hes a big name or not.

preachermatt83
06-05-2018, 10:06 PM
Dan freakin Heefner. That's my dude. I would be pumped.

Ole hoops been riding that Hefner train from the get go. Lol.

preachermatt83
06-05-2018, 10:07 PM
Here’s what I know about the coaching search... Nobody knows shit about it or who we will hire, and they won’t until the deal is done. Those who are talking don’t know and those who know aren’t talking. This has become painfully obvious over the last couple of weeks.

Godwin would be a good coach and had you told me when this first started in February that he was going to be the hire, I would have been really pleased. Here’s the issue though- Cohen has been running his mouth the last couple of months about how we had hall of fame coaches interested, we are going to hire a coach who has made tripS to Omaha, he will have extensive head coaching experience at the highest level, he will make everyone very happy, etc. Cohen has set himself up for fallout if it is not a McDonnell/Tadlock type.

So while I really like Godwin and think he wouldn’t end up being a disappointment long-term- hiring him would be a disappointment on the front end because of the things John has said publicly... And I don’t think you can necessarily blame the fanbase for that. I have faith in Cohen, but if it’s not a sitting P5 coach like McDonnell, Tadlock, or Corbin, he will deserve a little bit of the negativity that comes his way.

I will agree with all of this.

preachermatt83
06-05-2018, 10:11 PM
Those comments were dumb. Even if you have the guy, just say nothing and wow college baseball with the HR

I agree. He should have kept his mouth shut and went and took care of bidness. He's got some stuff to learn as far as the media relations side of things are concerned and I'm afraid because of it there will be some disappointed fans when this is done but I bet ya cohen hires a good coach that will winning here. I'm STILL standing we're I stood 2 months ago.. Tadlock has as good of a chance as anyone. I would not at all be surprised from he's the guy. And if he is, I am strutting around like ric flair. Hahaha. Jk.

Pit Bull
06-05-2018, 10:11 PM

Hell no

I was told you already were. Guess sucking on the big one will do that for ya'

yjnkdawg
06-05-2018, 10:33 PM
DELETE

yjnkdawg
06-05-2018, 10:38 PM
I agree. He should have kept his mouth shut and went and took care of bidness. He's got some stuff to learn as far as the media relations side of things are concerned and I'm afraid because of it there will be some disappointed fans when this is done but I bet ya cohen hires a good coach that will winning here. I'm STILL standing we're I stood 2 months ago.. Tadlock has as good of a chance as anyone. I would not at all be surprised from he's the guy. And if he is, I am strutting around like ric flair. Hahaha. Jk.

Gives Preacher a pair of strutting shoes , but if it's not Tadlock then we will put them on Ebay. :cool:

The Federalist Engineer
06-05-2018, 10:49 PM
I think Cohen's disastrous proclamations are being bailed out by Elijah Macnamee's HR against FSU. Had that not happened, we would be full melt-down Philadelphia, PA sports fans. Probably not burning cars and looting stores, but posting mean memes, for sure

If we can't hire McDonnell after we beat Vanderbilt this weekend, Cohen can say that he loves his current coaches, current player development, and favors leadership continuity - to then name Jake Gautreau the HC.

He can hire Jake Gautreau for much less money and parlay the Schlossnagle/McD ransom money into elite pitching and hitting assistants for Jake. I want assistants like TCU's Saarloos and LSU's Alan Dunn, basically guys that are equal parts collegiate-coaches, scouts, and pro-coaches

preachermatt83
06-05-2018, 10:55 PM
Gives Preacher a pair of strutting shoes , but if it's not Tadlock then we will put them on Ebay. :cool:

Hahahahaha!!

yjnkdawg
06-05-2018, 11:01 PM
This is a remote possibility I guess, but Cohen could still be looking at two coaches. One coach just finished his baseball season in the Regional Tournament. The other coach's baseball season is still ongoing and playing in the Super Regional Tournament. That could possibly be a reason, or maybe Cohen's main target is the coach whose team is playing in the SR. That would be a reason not to announce a new coach right now. Probably way out in left field on this one, but just a thought.

deadheaddawg
06-05-2018, 11:13 PM
Godwin is the kinda coach I would have been happy with before I knew hall of fame coaches are interested in the job.

Mowing that hall of fame coaches are interested in the job, I will definitely feel a bit let down

Ultimately years down the road it won't matter as long as we are winning at a very high level. Once we find the guy to take is to the next level it really won't matter what the guys name is or what his resume was like.

But until then I if I am going to talk baseball coaches, I'm going to say....hall of fame coaches are interested. We can get someone who has already proven they can win at a high level. That gives us the most reasonable place to start bringing this program to the next level.

McDonnell
Corbin
Tadlock

After that disappointment sets in until the winning big starts.

?I will tell you this, this person is going to have serious baseball experience as a head coach. This person is going to have made trips to Omaha, Nebraska. This person is going to have expertise in an area of the game and in all facets of the game. And this person is going to make our fan base very happy.?

preachermatt83
06-05-2018, 11:13 PM
It's a very real possibility that Tadlock will have his team in the 3rd cws since he has been there... this is his 6th year. Unbelievable!!

preachermatt83
06-05-2018, 11:18 PM
Not too mention Tadlock sounds exactly like Kris Kristofferson when he talks. That's worth an extra half a mil atleast.

deadheaddawg
06-05-2018, 11:20 PM
If we honestly look at what cohen has said, then we should be upset if the hire is someone like Godwin.

I dont think Cohen is dumb. I dont think Cohen was getting taken for a ride. I guess we will find out soon. But as of now, i am still thinking we land one of the 3 or 4 big fish we have talked about. If not, then it looks like Cohen got taken for a ride by agents. He clearly taught it was a sure enough thing to announce it.

There is only one way to read into the following statements. It is not words be taken out of context and he is not meaning a coach with assistant coaching CWS experience. Those are the words of a man that thinks he has already landed a wall hanger. Again, if he is the AD I think he is, then he will come through on his statement

"The coaches we are considering make a lot of money. This position will pay at the top of the scale"

"The interest for this job has been above my expectations. We've had interest from Hall of Fame coaches"

"I will tell you this, this person is going to have serious baseball experience as a head coach. This person is going to have made trips to Omaha, Nebraska. This person is going to have expertise in an area of the game and in all facets of the game. And this person is going to make our fan base very happy?

BeardoMSU
06-05-2018, 11:21 PM
Not too mention Tadlock sounds exactly like Kris Kristofferson when he talks. That's worth an extra half a mil atleast.

Will he act out all his scenes from Heaven's Gate? That's all I care about.***

Ifyouonlyknew
06-05-2018, 11:26 PM
Basically we're waiting on McDonnell to say yes or no. Fingers crossed on yes.

BeardoMSU
06-05-2018, 11:27 PM

Thank you.

Bulldog1
06-05-2018, 11:29 PM

Awesome! I think he's coming.

Activated Alpha
06-05-2018, 11:32 PM

Any timeline on how long we've got for an answer?

preachermatt83
06-05-2018, 11:35 PM

Your opinion around here means a ton... is that what you are hearing??

Dawg61
06-05-2018, 11:45 PM

I don't know much about him but I love 134 HRs, a 52-10 record and that he apparently doesn't bunt from the one game I watched as reference. I have a feeling his pitchers suck ass though. He had players wearing aviators in the dugout. I like that too. If you mash 134 HRs, take us to the Supers with a 52-10 record and the dugout is sporting aviators I guess I can learn to live with that. Not sure what Scooba is pissed about. Seems like the Tennessee Tech guy just donkey punched himself into consideration for every job with those numbers.

deadheaddawg
06-06-2018, 12:39 AM
I don't know much about him but I love 134 HRs, a 52-10 record and that he apparently doesn't bunt from the one game I watched as reference. I have a feeling his pitchers suck ass though. He had players wearing aviators in the dugout. I like that too. If you mash 134 HRs, take us to the Supers with a 52-10 record and the dugout is sporting aviators I guess I can learn to live with that. Not sure what Scooba is pissed about. Seems like the Tennessee Tech guy just donkey punched himself into consideration for every job with those numbers.

Matt Bragga
14 years there. 3rd regional. 445-383-2 overall. Hard pass. Looks like he struck gold with this team. Two of his 3 regionals were these past 2 years. Those were his big HR numbers too.

Take out these last two years and he is very meh

As far as hrs go
2018 hit 134 so far (supers)
2017 hit 99 (regional)
2016 hit 68
2015 hit 41
2014 hit 83
2013 hit 54
2012 hit 49
2011 hit 42
2010 hit 62

That's as far back as I could find it. The other regional ws 2009. Definitely not what we need, but I love baseball stats so I was interested :)

Dawg61
06-06-2018, 12:45 AM
Damn they must of stolen ULL's juiced bats these last two years. 134 HRs is just absurd.

smootness
06-06-2018, 02:01 AM
The longer the process goes with guys like that who are well established somewhere, the harder it is for them to say yes.

MarketingBully
06-06-2018, 05:42 AM

McDonnell has a meeting with the press on Thursday to discuss Louisville’s 2018 season. I’ll be very keen on how he handles questions about our job. If he cancels that press conference, I’d say that’s a great sign.

MarketingBully
06-06-2018, 05:58 AM
The longer the process goes with guys like that who are well established somewhere, the harder it is for them to say yes.

I don’t think this process would have gone on this long if we weren’t still playing. Ironically, us still playing is complicating the coaching search. Theoretically we could get a contract signed and not announce until next week. Of course something like that would leak out. Kendall is going to give his update this morning on our search so I’m definitely looking out for that.