PDA

View Full Version : Well, we made it through day 2

preachermatt83
06-05-2018, 05:58 PM
...10 rounds and haven't taken a huge hit yet. I'd be surprised if small and Mangum is not back next year.

06-05-2018, 06:02 PM
Keaton Winn and Regi Grace are huge hits

A lot of juniors still go even if they are drafted in Rounds 11-20

msstate7
06-05-2018, 06:04 PM
What's our recruiting class looking like?

Homedawg
06-05-2018, 06:06 PM

It’s not like losing these 2 is a shock to anyone paying attention though.

MarketingBully
06-05-2018, 06:13 PM
They’re going to have to go waaaaay above slot to get Grace. It’s almost insulting for a high schooler to get picked there. You may as well of selected him in the 11-20 rounds where there’s more wiggle room to sign him. Usually seniors get picked in those slots so they can under slot those picks.

WeWonItAll(Most)
06-05-2018, 06:40 PM
If if we're into the 10th round and Small hasn't been drafted yet then that's great news. He has plenty of room to move up the board and keeps his leverage in the next draft.

Todd4State
06-05-2018, 06:55 PM
I'll say it again-

Rounds 11-15 are the ones that worry me.

Usually the guys taken in the top 5-10 aren't surprises. 11-15 is where teams go over slot. This is where we typically really get screwed.

maroonmania
06-05-2018, 07:35 PM

I don't have a list of signees, are these 2 guys part of our 2018 class? If so what positions?

Todd4State
06-05-2018, 08:10 PM
I don't have a list of signees, are these 2 guys part of our 2018 class? If so what positions?

Both are pitchers. Winn is a JUCO pitcher and Grace is a pitcher from Madison Central.

WeWonItAll(Most)
06-05-2018, 08:31 PM
I'll say it again-

Rounds 11-15 are the ones that worry me.

Usually the guys taken in the top 5-10 aren't surprises. 11-15 is where teams go over slot. This is where we typically really get screwed.

Is there a limit to how much over slot they can go? Could they sign him for what would essentially be top 3 round money? In my mind we have a very tangible selling point point with Small now: potentially moving into the top rounds of the draft while keeping the leverage he has now. Of course, that selling point is lessened if they pay him top round money now.

ETA, here's what quick research told me, correct me where I'm wrong:

After the 10th round, the "max" signing bonus is $125k, but they can add to that max with left over money from where they signed (or didn't sign) top 10 round players under their slotted amount. So they could potentially offer Small a multimillion dollar signing bonus depending on how much left over money they have from the top 10 rounds.

preachermatt83
06-05-2018, 08:54 PM
Is there a limit to how much over slot they can go? Could they sign him for what would essentially be top 3 round money? In my mind we have a very tangible selling point point with Small now: potentially moving into the top rounds of the draft while keeping the leverage he has now. Of course, that selling point is lessened if they pay him top round money now.

After the 10th round, the "max" signing bonus is $125k, but they can add to that max with left over money from where they signed (or didn't sign) top 10 round players under their slotted amount. So they could potentially offer Small a multimillion dollar signing bonus depending on how much left over money they have from the top 10 rounds.

Won't be multimillion. Usually they will about double the slot amt if they can but that's abt it. Most of these teams are not WAY under slot. Maybe a few hundred thousand

maroonmania
06-05-2018, 08:56 PM
Both are pitchers. Winn is a JUCO pitcher and Grace is a pitcher from Madison Central.

4 of our 5 losses so far are pitchers and that is what we are in need of. Hope we signed a load of them.

preachermatt83
06-05-2018, 08:58 PM
4 of our 5 losses so far are pitchers and that is what we are in need of. Hope we signed a load of them.

We did

Todd4State
06-05-2018, 09:33 PM

You are correct in your research.

Technically a team can spend as much as they want to- but they are taxed based on how much they go over the bonus pool.

As you said a team with leftover money can apply it to later picks provided that they have some.

HoopsDawg
06-05-2018, 10:08 PM
What's our recruiting class looking like?

Not good bc we were top heavy with guys I knew would go pro then we have lower tier players with no shot. Need to live in the middle. Be concerned if Hayden Jones and Gunner Halter go 11-15.

Homedawg
06-05-2018, 10:53 PM
Not good bc we were top heavy with guys I knew would go pro then we have lower tier players with no shot. Need to live in the middle. Be concerned if Hayden Jones and Gunner Halter go 11-15.

We’ve lost one guy, Grace, that we didn’t know we would lose when we got a commitment from him. Going into the draft, we knew he was gone. This isn’t a shocking development. Part of it. You sign em and hope for the best. Rare occasion it works and hang onto one.

Todd4State
06-05-2018, 10:57 PM

Our problem is we constantly are getting ****ed over by our players in the middle and we lose too many juniors like Stovall.

We need to get coaches that can better evaluate the draft. Period.

And the other problem we have is that whenever we get ****ed over we go after some JUCO guy that has half the talent of the original guy instead of someone projectable.

HoopsDawg
06-05-2018, 11:28 PM
Our problem is we constantly are getting ****ed over by our players in the middle and we lose too many juniors like Stovall.

And the other problem we have is that whenever we get ****ed over we go after some JUCO guy that has half the talent of the original guy instead of someone projectable.

Agree with all of this.

smootness
06-06-2018, 12:29 AM

Eh, we haven’t really done worse than others at this. It’s just that a bunch of our pitchers who we managed to keep got hurt.

06-06-2018, 08:55 AM
Eh, we haven?t really done worse than others at this. It?s just that a bunch of our pitchers who we managed to keep got hurt.

Yeah not sure why people continue to ignore the Tommy John issue we've had, it's decimated us for 2 years now, and we still ended up in 2 Super Regionals

I'm hoping that next year we're finally back to 'normal'. By normal, I mean only having 1-2 pitchers hurt, rather than 5-6. TJ is going to be a part of everyone's future for a while because kids throw so much and the damage has already been done, at least to this current generation