PDA

View Full Version : Clowney

angusyoung
10-09-2013, 07:01 PM
What do you guys think about the situation with Clowney choosing to sit out this past week because his ribs hurt.

It seems the majority of opinion has been that he should sit to protect his future earning potential but that obviously runs contradictory to any fans want for him to play.

I'm undecided but I completely understand why he is doing what he is doing. I can't say I would blame him if he sat out the rest of the season.

What say you?

AlmostPositive
10-09-2013, 07:05 PM
There is no "I" in QUIT.

Well, okay there is. Anyway, I guess if you have no regard for teammates, you lie about injuries and quit without actually quitting. Spurrier is clearly pissed. Clowney is a great talent without much character to match it.

Dawg61
10-09-2013, 07:09 PM
That's a Clowney question bro

FlabLoser
10-09-2013, 07:14 PM
I think Clowney has been hurt most of the season. He often hasn't looked like himself.

If a doctor told him that he is in danger of needing a surgery, then I'd sit for sure.

They story has made me wonder if we'll see a day where juniors think they've played enough to prove themselves, so they sit to avoid a pre-draft injury.

smootness
10-09-2013, 09:28 PM
They story has made me wonder if we'll see a day where juniors think they've played enough to prove themselves, so they sit to avoid a pre-draft injury.

We won't ever see that day, at least not in large numbers, because they would severely hurt their draft prospects by doing that.

No team wants to draft a guy high if they think he's that much of a diva.

Percho
10-09-2013, 09:53 PM
Isn't that what JS wanted to do? Sit and heal! How did that go?

Political Hack
10-09-2013, 09:57 PM
I hope it continually gets worse over the next three weeks.

Irondawg
10-09-2013, 10:05 PM
well if you're a coach that's a great reason to sell a redshirt to a player.

dawgoneyall
10-09-2013, 10:06 PM
If I was a GM I would not draft him. He could never be expected to give his all when it counts.

Todd4State
10-09-2013, 10:52 PM
I hope it continually gets worse over the next three weeks.

Yeah, he'll suddenly have his comeback party against us and sack Tyler like ten times.

angusyoung
10-10-2013, 07:11 AM
Yeah, he'll suddenly have his comeback party against us and sack Tyler like ten times.

One of my friends who is an Arkansas fan said that Clowney is going to put Brandon Allen in the Backbreaker this weekend.

BeastMan
10-10-2013, 07:35 AM
IMO most fans aren't thinking this all the way through. It's easy to just write him off as a prima donna but put yourself in his shoes. If he stays healthy, he is about to make life changing money in his 1rst contract. We're talking "never work again in your life even if you're a bust" money on his 1rst contract. If I was a USC fans I'd be pissed but if I was Clowney, I wouldn't jeopardize that 1 iota

Barking 13
10-10-2013, 07:56 AM
and to add fuel to the fire.. he'll be a target from now on...

FISHDAWG
10-10-2013, 08:10 AM
I think he is COSTING himself money with these shenanigans by exposing his character

BeastMan
10-10-2013, 08:35 AM
I think he is COSTING himself money with these shenanigans by exposing his character

It's also very possible that teams are contacting his agent (don't kid yourself, he has 1) and telling him to play it safe. He's getting advice...

smootness
10-10-2013, 08:45 AM
IMO most fans aren't thinking this all the way through. It's easy to just write him off as a prima donna but put yourself in his shoes. If he stays healthy, he is about to make life changing money in his 1rst contract. We're talking "never work again in your life even if you're a bust" money on his 1rst contract. If I was a USC fans I'd be pissed but if I was Clowney, I wouldn't jeopardize that 1 iota

This is not my personal opinion of Clowney. This is my opinion of how NFL teams are going to view it. I guarantee they are not the ones telling him to sit out. They want to see a player as much as possible in order to determine if they want him over other players.

There are reports that this is already making some teams wary of drafting him high.

It's not a good strategy at all, for several reasons.

Sure, you may reduce the risk of injury; but even if injured, the likelihood that it would hurt his draft stock much is minimal (Sam Bradford). However, the chances that the lack of further development could hurt his ability to do well at the next level are probably higher (Sam Bradford).

msstate7
10-10-2013, 08:45 AM
It's also very possible that teams are contacting his agent (don't kid yourself, he has 1) and telling him to play it safe. He's getting advice...

I think seeing Marcus lattimore first hand tear his knee up isn't making clowney wanna push it either

BeastMan
10-10-2013, 09:17 AM
I think seeing Marcus lattimore first hand year his knee up isn't making clowney wanna push it either

Bingo

smootness
10-10-2013, 10:46 AM
There are some major differences, though, between Lattimore and a potential injury for Clowney.

One, that was Lattimore's second major knee injury; that's going to scare teams away much more than a first. Guys tear their ACLs all the time now and come back; were Clowney to do that, his draft stock wouldn't suffer much at all.

Two, and this is most important, pass rushers are valued far more now than RBs. Willis McGahee suffered the same injury that Lattimore did 10 years prior (at a time when ACL tears were still seen as more devastating than they are now), and he was still taken in the 1st round in the following draft. His injury occurred as late in the year as possible and was considered devastating, yet he was still taken 23rd overall and has had a great career. Lattimore fell not only because it was his second injury but because a) I don't think the NFL ever valued him as highly as some did because of his lack of top-end speed; and b) RBs just aren't valued much anymore; hardly any are taken in the 1st round, and if there are any real questions, they will fall a lot.

Pass rushers are valued as highly as any position in the league outside of QB. If Clowney gave it 100% this year, looked like the same player, and then tore his ACL, I guarantee you he would still be drafted about where he would have been. But if he goes into the draft fully healthy after sort of playing but not really going as hard or after sitting out even though healthy, I promise his draft stock will take a big hit.

Teams will overlook injuries more than they will questions about work ethic.

Original48
10-10-2013, 10:53 AM
Maybe this is the approach Ashton Shumpert is taking. Except he's gonna do it for three years.

ChupacabraDawg
10-10-2013, 10:53 AM

Mel Kiper on Mike and Mike this morning said Clowney could sit out the rest of the season and still go top 3. I think there is so much upside to him and really he should have just gone after last season. He just looks ridiculous at this point because he's protecting himself (which I get, but come on!).

smootness
10-10-2013, 11:39 AM
really he should have just gone after last season

Couldn't, was a true sophomore last year.

DawgInMemphis
10-10-2013, 12:06 PM
We won't ever see that day, at least not in large numbers, because they would severely hurt their draft prospects by doing that.

No team wants to draft a guy high if they think he's that much of a diva.

There's a TE @ Oregon that is doing this very thing this year.

CooterDavenport
10-10-2013, 12:14 PM
Maybe this is the approach Ashton Shumpert is taking. Except he's gonna do it for three years.

What the hell? Has there been any claim that Shumpert is injured? And do you really think he is determining his playing time?

msstate7
10-10-2013, 12:17 PM
If I was an nfl gm and knew college juniors were taking years off for the draft, I'd be very weary. Will these same players take it easy during contact years?

chef dixon
10-10-2013, 12:31 PM
Clowney is being a bitch. Bad look all season so far.

smootness
10-10-2013, 12:44 PM
There's a TE @ Oregon that is doing this very thing this year.

That may be the case, but he will hurt his draft stock if so. Some may test the waters, but it will stop when their draft stock is significantly hurt by doing it.

Not only are there concerns about a player's attitude/work ethic when doing it, but it also gives NFL teams less time to scout you and be sure you are who they want. Just generally a bad strategy all around.

angusyoung
10-10-2013, 01:01 PM
That may be the case, but he will hurt his draft stock if so. Some may test the waters, but it will stop when their draft stock is significantly hurt by doing it.

Not only are there concerns about a player's attitude/work ethic when doing it, but it also gives NFL teams less time to scout you and be sure you are who they want. Just generally a bad strategy all around.

I hear what you are saying but similar to the paying players argument there are only a couple players per year that are good enough to do this and it not hurt their draft stock. I don't think Clowney sitting out will hurt his draft potential one bit and most NFL guys have said this as much this week.

Now a TE from Oregon? Not sure.

camsu
10-10-2013, 01:03 PM
Don't agree smootness. Regardless Clowney is a top 2/3 pick. Look at who AZ picked last yr after yrs of failed drug tests and turning out great. Clowney does not have to play another down and he is golden.

smootness
10-10-2013, 01:09 PM
Don't agree smootness. Regardless Clowney is a top 2/3 pick. Look at who AZ picked last yr after yrs of failed drug tests and turning out great. Clowney does not have to play another down and he is golden.

Again, though, I don't think you can draw much comparison from Mathieu. Teams are much more willing to take a risk in the 3rd round than they are with a top 3 pick. You have to nail those picks or it puts you far behind the 8-ball.

And Mathieu, for all his issues, never had his effort or love for the game questioned. When he was on the field, he always went all out. Concerns are now starting to surface for Clowney in that area; he needs to put his head down and be a monster the rest of this year, not sit out.

Original48
10-10-2013, 01:26 PM
What the hell? Has there been any claim that Shumpert is injured? And do you really think he is determining his playing time?
I'm being a smartass. This is my weekly 'why in the hell didn't we redshirt Shumpert and if we didn't then why the hell isn't he playing more' comment.

hacker
10-10-2013, 01:32 PM
I'm being a smartass. This is my weekly 'why in the hell didn't we redshirt Shumpert and if we didn't then why the hell isn't he playing more' comment.

Because Shumpert was not going to be at Mississippi State for 5 years. I don't understand why people keep bringing this up.

dawgoneyall
10-10-2013, 01:43 PM
So you believe in quitting on your teammates. Well.....

Original48
10-10-2013, 01:47 PM
Because Shumpert was not going to be at Mississippi State for 5 years.
Explain what you mean by that. I have seen people say he would only be here for 3 years which is rediculous. Otherwise, if he was that good, he would have been our opening day starting running back. But what do you mean he was not going to be here for 5 years? And if you'll read again, I don't have a problem with burning a redshirt. I have a problem with NOT PLAYING a player everyone seems to believe is the best running back on the team.