PDA

View Full Version : Latest from Kendall on Coach Search...

ScoobaDawg
06-04-2018, 11:54 PM
https://twitter.com/KendallRogers/status/1003860260367601664

mstatefan91
06-04-2018, 11:58 PM
Bigger than Schloss or bigger in general as relates to most baseball programs?

BuckyIsAB****
06-05-2018, 12:00 AM
this is good. I think its Dan McDonnell.

But watching this team and knowing what we will have back next year, with our stadium and all this momentum, PLUS Cohen batting .1000 so far as an AD, whoever he hires has no excuses.

We should be strapped in 2019. Next sports year could be a special one in Stark

MarketingBully
06-05-2018, 12:02 AM
If we get Dan, he could take us to the CWS next year.

BeardoMSU
06-05-2018, 12:15 AM

https://m.popkey.co/952ef1/v4Dgk.gif

Activated Alpha
06-05-2018, 12:17 AM
I'm going to hold my breath. If true, then I'll be pleasantly surprised

Cooterpoot
06-05-2018, 12:26 AM
Pat Casey

Todd4State
Kendall has been pretty consistent that it was going to be Schlossnagle or McDonnell up until last night when Schlossnagle pulled his name. Of course, even before then he has said that there was a chance it would not be Schlossnagle.

And again- Kendall is a respected national baseball reporter who has zero ties to MSU. This info isn't coming from Gene.

Todd4State
Pat Casey

I had heard his name mentioned in the very early stages of our search. But it has been awhile.

parabrave
06-05-2018, 01:40 AM

Hendo might do it this year/

Cooterpoot
06-05-2018, 04:36 AM
I had heard his name mentioned in the very early stages of our search. But it has been awhile.

I don?t think it?s legit, but I heard him mentioned. Jeans bunch believes it?s McDonnell. We all know Cohen gets a chub for Corbin too. It feels like McDonnell is the guy and they?ve been smoke screening us. But I don?t know. I said that a couple weeks ago before the Schloss talk got so big. Something isn?t adding up. Cohen isn?t the kind to wait til last minute to interview people.

Todd4State
06-05-2018, 08:00 AM
I don?t think it?s legit, but I heard him mentioned. Jeans bunch believes it?s McDonnell. We all know Cohen gets a chub for Corbin too. It feels like McDonnell is the guy and they?ve been smoke screening us. But I don?t know. I said that a couple weeks ago before the Schloss talk got so big. Something isn?t adding up. Cohen isn?t the kind to wait til last minute to interview people.

We'll see how it plays out but I think the Schlossnagle talk was manufactured in large part by Schlossnagle and not MSU. I need to see how things play out to see if I'm right though. And I don't think it was Schlossnagle trying to get a raise- but we'll see how it plays out.

sandwolf
06-05-2018, 08:09 AM
Pat Casey
I don't know anything about the guy, but a quick glance at his bio says he's not interested in leaving the state of Oregon. Aside from his 7 years in the minors, he's never left.

Bully13
06-05-2018, 08:18 AM
We'll see how it plays out but I think the Schlossnagle talk was manufactured in large part by Schlossnagle and not MSU. I need to see how things play out to see if I'm right though. And I don't think it was Schlossnagle trying to get a raise- but we'll see how it plays out.

I don't think Schloss is as concerned about salary as he is with TCU having more scholly help like Vandy and Stanford do. He also has been asking for facility upgrades. TCU just doesn't have the endowments like Vandy and Stanford though. When you offer $ to athletes for schollies, you have to offer the same to ALL students. Makes baseball Damned expensive to the school.

Jack Lambert
06-05-2018, 08:26 AM
I'll celebrate when we get who we get.

basedog
06-05-2018, 08:54 AM
I'll celebrate when we get who we get.

+1

AlSwearengen
06-05-2018, 09:07 AM
It has been mentioned that Cohen is friends with McDonnell and Corbin. Schlossnagle really wants more support from tcu (not salary). Hopefully everyone gets what they originally wanted out of this thing.

ScoobaDawg
06-05-2018, 09:17 AM
https://twitter.com/KendallRogers/status/1003999048565698560

https://twitter.com/KendallRogers/status/1004000293317640194

Todd4State
06-05-2018, 09:41 AM
I don't think Schloss is as concerned about salary as he is with TCU having more scholly help like Vandy and Stanford do. He also has been asking for facility upgrades. TCU just doesn't have the endowments like Vandy and Stanford though. When you offer $ to athletes for schollies, you have to offer the same to ALL students. Makes baseball Damned expensive to the school.

I think you are spot on.

MarketingBully
06-05-2018, 10:14 AM

I agree. I think we were the ones who said no not Schloss. We just allowed him to bow out gracefully which is a bit of a gamble unless you pull a McDonnell, Corbin, or even a Tadlock. Schloss is going to have those issues regardless of what the AD says. They also made promises to him they didn’t keep. They aren’t building him a new stadium. To me the best fit of the options who are left is McDonnell and it’s not even close. McDonnell is as much of a Cohen clone as you can get only better. He has an incredible personality and would fit in well in Starkville. I think he would love it here and he still talks to all of his contacts he has in Mississippi so his recruiting wouldn’t skip a beat. As much as he’s done at Louisville, he would do better here. He’s the full package: recruiter, developer, and great face of the program.

MarketingBully
06-05-2018, 10:17 AM
It has been mentioned that Cohen is friends with McDonnell and Corbin. Schlossnagle really wants more support from tcu (not salary). Hopefully everyone gets what they originally wanted out of this thing.

He talks regularly with McDonnell. It wouldn?t surprise me if McDonnell is who Cohen had pegged this whole time.

yjnkdawg
06-05-2018, 10:24 AM

Sounds kind of like what Pruitt and his agent were doing. The difference is Pruitt wanted our HC position. I don't think Schloss was looking for a raise, but I think maybe some improvements or additions to their baseball park might be in the negotiations, or maybe something about the scholarship situation. I agree. Let's just let it play out.

yjnkdawg
06-05-2018, 10:31 AM
He talks regularly with McDonnell. It wouldn?t surprise me if McDonnell is who Cohen had pegged this whole time.

Cohen probably has to smoke screen some things to keep some ego driven media person, or whoever who wants to be first to break the news from potentially screwing up our coaching search. As long as Cohen keeps people guessing, or they are lead in the wrong direction, then that is probably the best scenario. I think you are correct too.

MarketingBully
06-05-2018, 10:31 AM
It’s McDonnell.

https://twitter.com/kileymcd/status/1004001923694055424

MarketingBully
06-05-2018, 10:36 AM
Kendall has been pretty consistent that it was going to be Schlossnagle or McDonnell up until last night when Schlossnagle pulled his name. Of course, even before then he has said that there was a chance it would not be Schlossnagle.

And again- Kendall is a respected national baseball reporter who has zero ties to MSU. This info isn't coming from Gene.

Scouts and agents pre-draft are saying it?s McDonnell. That?s coming from a draft analyst that I just linked the tweet. As long as we compensate him well he?s ours.

mparkerfd20
06-05-2018, 11:11 AM
I'm not getting my hopes up on anyone again. That said if it ain't McDonnell, Corbin, or Tadlock I'm going to be disappointed.

K9 Avenger
06-05-2018, 11:47 AM
Last week, at the height of Schloss mania, I talked to a friend who sits on the Bulldog Club Board as well as the MSU Foundation. I was basically trying to get him to confirm the Schloss news but he surprised me and said he believes it's McDonnell.....interestingly, he said he had heard nothing from State folks but rather friends in Oxford, who also happen to be friends with Dan, that McDonnell would take the job....I guess we'll find out soon enough...

mstatefan91
06-05-2018, 12:10 PM
https://twitter.com/KendallRogers/status/1004039914495676417

Bully13
06-05-2018, 12:14 PM
were the rumors of McDonnell's wife not liking MS true or false?

msbulldog
06-05-2018, 12:22 PM
Kendall Rodgers on Out Of Bounds this morning. Here is the link to the podcast:
https://player.fm/series/the-out-of-bounds-show/june-5-2018-kendall-rogers

Todd4State
06-05-2018, 12:41 PM
Sounds kind of like what Pruitt and his agent were doing. The difference is Pruitt wanted our HC position. I don't think Schloss was looking for a raise, but I think maybe some improvements or additions to their baseball park might be in the negotiations, or maybe something about the scholarship situation. I agree. Let's just let it play out.

If what I have heard is true there is no question in my mind that Schlossnagle wanted our job.

AlSwearengen
06-05-2018, 12:57 PM
I’m curious to hear what rosebowl has to say after all of this is done. He is apparently claiming a lot of knowledge about what is happening.

TNDawg35
06-05-2018, 01:06 PM
If what I have heard is true there is no question in my mind that Schlossnagle wanted our job.

Not saying your wrong or anything, but why all of a sudden would you change your mind when the deal is damn near done...

mstatefan91
06-05-2018, 01:07 PM
I’m curious to hear what rosebowl has to say after all of this is done. He is apparently claiming a lot of knowledge about what is happening.

That's kind of his job.. gotta keep those subscriptions up

Randolph Dupree
06-05-2018, 01:14 PM

Pretty sure that's the case. He pulled his name, but that's because he knows it's not him. We've all been through enough coaching searches to know how that works. I normally have a pretty good baseball source but he's not even sure what's going on, so speculation is that it's McDonnell and that it was really his to lose from day 1. Schloss is the one that surprised Cohen by expressing interest and because Cohen is smart, he listened and pursued. As soon as McDonnell's season is about to be over, Cohen calls Schloss, and says we're going to move in a different direction so Schloss pulls his name in order to save face with the fan base, players and recruits. Now what's going to be interesting is if McDonnell decides to pull out. This is business with real $$$$ at stake so who knows what's going to happen.

ETDawg
06-05-2018, 01:21 PM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Randolph Dupree again.

preachermatt83
06-05-2018, 02:22 PM
Y'all please stop getting my hopes all up again. Let me just be down now instead of getting up just to see us hire freaking Casey Dunn or something.

Tbonewannabe
06-05-2018, 02:36 PM
Y'all please stop getting my hopes all up again. Let me just be down now instead of getting up just to see us hire freaking Casey Dunn or something.

This coaching search is about like watching our baseball team play. I hope we get a great result from the coaching search.

Activated Alpha
06-05-2018, 02:38 PM
I'm going to remain very skeptical of all these names being dropped after the Schloss incident

ScoobaDawg
06-05-2018, 02:42 PM
Damnit I literally just typed saying chill out.. its too late in the day for a Press conference anyways.
But.. its never too late for something to slip out.

I'm sold on McDonnell and sure hope that's who we get. And I hate this shit about wait until the season is over. If we aren't hiring Henderson even if he wins a National Championship.. meaning he doesn't want to be a HC or retires... then lets get him signed up.
And no I dont believe anything is signed because that would slip out.... well first off Louisville would sure announce it...

Tbonewannabe
06-05-2018, 02:44 PM
Damnit I literally just typed saying chill out.. its too late in the day for a Press conference anyways.

I'm sold on McDonnell and sure hope that's who we get. And I hate this shit about wait until the season is over. If we aren't hiring Henderson even if he wins a National Championship.. meaning he doesn't want to be a HC or retires... then lets get him signed up.
And no I dont believe anything is signed because that would slip out.... well first off Louisville would sure announce it...

I have been sold on Schloss, McDonnell, Corbin, or Tadlock. All of those are grandslams to me.

JoseBrown
06-05-2018, 02:50 PM

It just has to be McDonnell. With all the bitch-slapping we've given Louisville this year, it just has to be him. If it's not announced shortly, then I expect another Schloss-like fantasy to come-n-go before he's officially announced. Surely, Cohen isn't gonna let the rumor mill go into overdrive on his guy before he names him.

bobcat91
06-05-2018, 02:58 PM
I?m curious to hear what rosebowl has to say after all of this is done. He is apparently claiming a lot of knowledge about what is happening.

Yeah, he's going to come hard and strong......after a coach is named. Neither he or Gene knew a thing, but now look like they were in the know all the time. When the Okie State and TAMU were listed as real possibilities, you gave your answer about who knew what.

ScoobaDawg
06-05-2018, 03:03 PM
I have been sold on Schloss, McDonnell, Corbin, or Tadlock. All of those are grandslams to me.

I agree with this just Tadlock seemed like a far #3 from the other 2. But watching Louisville and Texas Tech battle the other was damn entertaining.
Would be exciting times with any of those 2 left or even Cliff Godwin I believe.

All I care is we hire someone within the parameters of the grand slam hire John laid out. Anything less will make us all have egg on our face.

preachermatt83
06-05-2018, 03:06 PM
I agree with this just Tadlock seemed like a far #3 from the other 2. But watching Louisville and Texas Tech battle the other was damn entertaining.
Would be exciting times with any of those 2 left or even Cliff Godwin I believe.

All I care is we hire someone within the parameters of the grand slam hire John laid out. Anything less will make us all have egg on our face.

Agreed

Turfdawg67
06-05-2018, 03:26 PM
Yeah, he's going to come hard and strong......after a coach is named. Neither he or Gene knew a thing, but now look like they were in the know all the time. When the Okie State and TAMU were listed as real possibilities, you gave your answer about who knew what.

With all due respect I'll take Rosebowl's take over yours any day.

Turfdawg67
06-05-2018, 03:28 PM
Pretty sure that's the case. He pulled his name, but that's because he knows it's not him. We've all been through enough coaching searches to know how that works. I normally have a pretty good baseball source but he's not even sure what's going on, so speculation is that it's McDonnell and that it was really his to lose from day 1. Schloss is the one that surprised Cohen by expressing interest and because Cohen is smart, he listened and pursued. As soon as McDonnell's season is about to be over, Cohen calls Schloss, and says we're going to move in a different direction so Schloss pulls his name in order to save face with the fan base, players and recruits. Now what's going to be interesting is if McDonnell decides to pull out. This is business with real $$$$ at stake so who knows what's going to happen.

Awesome post! Rep given.

deadheaddawg
06-05-2018, 03:31 PM
Tadlocked played at Texas Tech. Born and raised in Texas.

Is there any reason to think we could actually get him? How much is he making?

KOdawg1
06-05-2018, 03:32 PM

I don't believe anyone's take, including Rosebowl. He hypes his audience up, but he doesn't know any more about the coaching search than all of the posters here do.

Tbonewannabe
06-05-2018, 03:40 PM

Yes, there are plenty of great coaches out there, it is just Cohen that put the bar so damn high. Absolutely no one expected us to pull any of these names prior to Cohen's multiple interviews.

preachermatt83
06-05-2018, 03:45 PM
Tadlocked played at Texas Tech. Born and raised in Texas.

Is there any reason to think we could actually get him? How much is he making?

750k. We could get him if we wanted to bad enough. Tech wouldn't double his salary.. we would if need be.

bobcat91
06-05-2018, 03:46 PM
I'm sure you would. You seem to appreciate leading from behind

Anonymous
06-05-2018, 03:48 PM
I don't believe anyone's take, including Rosebowl. He hypes his audience up, but he doesn't know any more about the coaching search than all of the posters here do.

Have found out about several things before Rosebowl, from his source. And generally they end up here before they make it over to him (Cann and Mullen departures for example). When he lets out word it will be final, because he's getting milk straight from the cow, but don't expect that to be the first wind of any decision.

Cooterpoot
06-05-2018, 03:56 PM
I believe an agreement is done and everybody has been told to shut their holes until it's all final. I don't know who it's with but I'd guess McDonnell. Hard to see Corbin leaving with a stable of freshmens there.

dawgman15
06-05-2018, 04:01 PM
If I was a betting man, I would put it on Corbin.

Bully13
06-05-2018, 04:23 PM
If I was a betting man, I would put it on Corbin.

Corbin's turned us down twice in the past. He's staying put. That's a sweet gig up there with the scholly advantages Vandy can offer. That's why I've never been that sold on Corbin.

Madisonmd
06-05-2018, 04:58 PM
Corbin has everyone on full ride at Vandy- he aint leaving. sweet gig there for him

Turfdawg67
06-05-2018, 05:01 PM
https://s15.postimg.cc/vjaq33tnv/5_CC25177-3_D94-401_F-_A081-_B3321_A9_D8_BFC.gif

Most bobcat posts...

deadheaddawg
06-05-2018, 05:36 PM
750k. We could get him if we wanted to bad enough. Tech wouldn't double his salary.. we would if need be.

Maybe. But it might Depend on what they could give him and how important his roots are.

Personally I would much rather make $1 million a year and live in MS than make $1.5 million and live in Texas.

But everyone is different and we definitely give him a better shot at winning it all. So I wouldn't be shocked if he took it (wouldn't be shocked if he didn't want it either)

I would put him lower than the other 3, but wouldn't be upset with the hire. He's a dang good coach

preachermatt83
06-05-2018, 05:40 PM
Corbin's turned us down twice in the past. He's staying put. That's a sweet gig up there with the scholly advantages Vandy can offer. That's why I've never been that sold on Corbin.

Agreed 100 percent.

RocketDawg
06-05-2018, 05:41 PM

It's not just him and Gene ... there are many posters who claim to be "in the know". But yes, they will try to say they knew all along, and doing so makes them lose a lot of credibility, if they ever had any.

RocketDawg
06-05-2018, 05:44 PM
Maybe. But it might Depend on what they could give him and how important his roots are.

Personally I would much rather make $1 million a year and live in MS than make $1.5 million and live in Texas.

But everyone is different and we definitely give him a better shot at winning it all. So I wouldn't be shocked if he took it (wouldn't be shocked if he didn't want it either)

I would put him lower than the other 3, but wouldn't be upset with the hire. He's a dang good coach

If you're talking purely economically, it would depend on where in Texas. Starkville is pretty expensive compared to most small towns, especially housing. DFW is another story. Plus, their property taxes are pretty high.

If you're talking otherwise, any head coach at MSU is going to be pretty much a celebrity in Starkville, and the entire state for that matter.

Bully13
06-05-2018, 05:46 PM
If you're talking purely economically, it would depend on where in Texas. Starkville is pretty expensive compared to most small towns, especially housing. DFW is another story. Plus, their property taxes are pretty high.

If you're talking otherwise, any head coach at MSU is going to be pretty much a celebrity in Starkville, and the entire state for that matter.

Lubbock, TX is an inexpensive place to live. Texas overall has a low cost of living. Even in DFW. Texas is an overall good place to raise a family.

deadheaddawg
06-05-2018, 05:50 PM

I am just talking about a 50% raise would not be enough to make me leave home (unless I am struggling financially). $1 million a year would firmly put me above the level of struggling financially.

When comparing places to call home, a lot more goes into than money.

But obviously that's not the case for everyone, but my gut tells me it would be hard to get a well paid coach to leave a place he has so much history with, but he's absolutely an option we need to look at if McDonnell or Corbin doesn't work out