PDA

View Full Version : JT Ginn

HaggardDawg
06-04-2018, 09:13 PM
First round to the Dodgers.

Cooterpoot
06-04-2018, 09:17 PM
He gone. Never really was debatable unless he slid for some reason.

MarketingBully
06-05-2018, 06:06 PM
Hey Commerce, I looked it up and the Dodgers have the least amount of money of any of the teams with $5.3 million in their draft pool. They selected high leverage kids on the first day. It looks like they will have to go below slot to sign Ginn. If that’s the case, do we still have a shot? That Dodgers Director of Scouting who selected him doesn’t even know how they are going to use him. Seems like a huge risk on a couple of points to use your first round draft pick and you don’t even know how you’re going to use him as well as having the smallest draft pool in the draft.

Commercecomet24
06-05-2018, 06:19 PM
Hey Commerce, I looked it up and the Dodgers have the least amount of money of any of the teams with $5.3 million in their draft pool. They selected high leverage kids on the first day. It looks like they will have to go below slot to sign Ginn. If that’s the case, do we still have a shot? That Dodgers Director of Scouting who selected him doesn’t even know how they are going to use him. Seems like a huge risk on a couple of points to use your first round draft pick and you don’t even know how you’re going to use him as well as having the smallest draft pool in the draft.

Good catch on your part. You did some research. People are gonna laugh but yeah we do, but have to see how it plays out. And I'm not indulging any fantasies as some have said about me, just speaking to what I've been told. Mike told me a couple weeks ago if he was still around at 30 the Dodgers would take a shot. They've already turned down one amount so have to see if they are willing to go higher. Just watching to see how it plays out. JT has some great advisors.I know some more but I'm not saying anything else.

msbulldog
06-05-2018, 06:20 PM

They must have had discussions with JT and family or their representative, because they are not going to waste that pick without knowing they can sign him.

msbulldog
06-05-2018, 06:25 PM
Good catch on your part. You did some research. People are gonna laugh but yeah we do, but have to see how it plays out. And I'm not indulging any fantasies as some have said about me, just speaking to what I've been told. Mike told me a couple weeks ago if he was still around at 30 the Dodgers would take a shot. They've already turned down one amount so have to see if they are willing to go higher. Just watching to see how it plays out. JT has some great advisors.I know some more but I'm not saying anything else.

Sorry CC, I responded before I saw your last post.

Bully13
06-05-2018, 06:28 PM
They must have had discussions with JT and family or their representative, because they are not going to waste that pick without knowing they can sign him.

If that were 100% true, teams wouldn't be drafting Vandy and UF commits that end up going to school.

Todd4State
06-05-2018, 06:28 PM

The only thing about it is if you don't sign your first round pick you get another compensation pick in the draft the next year. So you get two first round picks.

I apologize if I indulged any fantasies.

Todd4State
06-05-2018, 06:30 PM

My life was completely ruined yesterday and you should be called out on it.********************************************

MarketingBully
06-05-2018, 06:32 PM
The only thing about it is if you don't sign your first round pick you get another compensation pick in the draft the next year. So you get two first round picks.

I apologize if I indulged any fantasies.

Interesting so they may be thinking if we don’t sign Ginn we will get two picks next year. So it’s more of a calculated gamble and they have a contingency in case they don’t sign him. That’s good to know.

MarketingBully
06-05-2018, 06:39 PM

Thanks Commerce. I have really appreciated your insight throughout this process with JT. From what I read, it sounds like teams are not sure whether JT will develop into a starter or short or middle reliever. In these cases, I’m not sure why MLB doesn’t work more closely with college baseball. It’s obvious JT has electric stuff but imo he would develop better emotionally and physically in college rather then on the road in the minors. Of all the professional sports, MLB treats college baseball the worst.

Commercecomet24
06-05-2018, 06:40 PM
My life was completely ruined yesterday and you should be called out on it.********************************************

Lol, good one! Todd you're a good dude!

Commercecomet24
06-05-2018, 06:41 PM
Sorry CC, I responded before I saw your last post.

It's all good.

Bully13
06-05-2018, 06:41 PM
Thanks Commerce. I have really appreciated your insight throughout this process with JT. From what I read, it sounds like teams are not sure whether JT will develop into a starter or short or middle reliever. In these cases, I?m not sure why MLB doesn?t work more closely with college baseball. It?s obvious JT has electric stuff but imo he would develop better emotionally and physically in college rather then on the road in the minors. Of all the professional sports, MLB treats college baseball the worst.

Yep. What MLB does to discourage college educations is down right criminal.

Todd4State
06-05-2018, 06:44 PM
Interesting so they may be thinking if we don’t sign Ginn we will get two picks next year. So it’s more of a calculated gamble and they have a contingency in case they don’t sign him. That’s good to know.

To be honest I'm not sure what they are thinking. Teams can go over the bonus amount too- but if they do they get taxed. So- again not to indulge in any fantasies the Dodgers could go a number of ways.

The other thing to remember is the International Signing Period is a big thing with MLB now and the Dodgers may be active on that front this year too. They are coming off of the "penalty" where a team that spends x amount of money can only sign an international player for 300K for a year or two. (Don't hold me to the rules on that- I can't remember how many years it is off the top of my head.)

Todd4State
06-05-2018, 06:53 PM
Yep. What MLB does to discourage college educations is down right criminal.

It's an archaic system that goes back to the days when MLB teams used to beat the bushes and scout everywhere- College, HS, Semi-Pro, sandlot......prison looking for talent. Back in the early 1900's when MLB was in it's infancy you didn't need an education to be successful in life. You could play baseball and if it didn't work out you could go farm or get a decent job with a HS diploma. If you don't have an education now there's a good chance you will end up behind the eight ball and in debt until you get one.

I like the idea that someone said on here about a team drafting a guy out of high school and that team retains the rights to that player throughout their college career. I would add a caveat of after three years the team can sign you, they can retain the players rights for a fourth year if a player wants a degree, or they can waive their rights to a player after three years which would allow the player to go back on the open market through the draft and also kind of let the player know where they stand. If a player isn't drafted after four years and no one has the rights to that player then the player can sign as a free agent like Cody Brown and Josh Lovelady did last year.

Bully13
06-05-2018, 07:08 PM
It's an archaic system that goes back to the days when MLB teams used to beat the bushes and scout everywhere- College, HS, Semi-Pro, sandlot......prison looking for talent. Back in the early 1900's when MLB was in it's infancy you didn't need an education to be successful in life. You could play baseball and if it didn't work out you could go farm or get a decent job with a HS diploma. If you don't have an education now there's a good chance you will end up behind the eight ball and in debt until you get one.

I like the idea that someone said on here about a team drafting a guy out of high school and that team retains the rights to that player throughout their college career. I would add a caveat of after three years the team can sign you, they can retain the players rights for a fourth year if a player wants a degree, or they can waive their rights to a player after three years which would allow the player to go back on the open market through the draft and also kind of let the player know where they stand. If a player isn't drafted after four years and no one has the rights to that player then the player can sign as a free agent like Cody Brown and Josh Lovelady did last year.

That someone was me. Change is desperately needed these days on this issue.

Commercecomet24
06-05-2018, 07:15 PM

Dang skippy.

RocketDawg
06-05-2018, 09:48 PM

That seems a little unfair to the player, to be picked then not signed. But I suppose life isn't fair.

If they don't sign him, can he go to another team?

MarketingBully
06-07-2018, 12:20 PM
Bump. As this comes up almost daily now.