PDA

View Full Version : What if

BuckyIsAB****
06-04-2018, 04:08 PM
What if we go to Omaha? How many of yall would want to keep Henderson?

Me personally I would still hire McDonnel, Tadlock, Lee over him. But if its any others I'd keep Henderson. Its obvious the kids like him, or at least dont hate him. If it aint broke dont fix it.

KOdawg1
06-04-2018, 04:09 PM
If we can't get one of the elites, then I'm fine with keeping Henderson until we can.

MarketingBully
06-04-2018, 04:12 PM
Me too. We just need to add an elite pitching coach to help him out.

ScoobaDawg
06-04-2018, 04:12 PM
Lot of short sighted eyes in the stars to forget how frustrating this year has been under him...We can do better. Beating Vandy twice won't surprise me much actually.
He goes and beats Florida or any other SEC team in the CWS finals then we can talk.

yjnkdawg
06-04-2018, 04:16 PM
Me too. We just need to add an elite pitching coach to help him out.

I agree. Being a pitching coach is one thing, and being a Head Coach is another. When you add the two together that is a tougher job.

Quaoarsking
06-04-2018, 04:17 PM
If Nick Saban resigned 3 games into the season and interim coach Mike Locksley (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Locksley) led them to a NY6 Bowl, would they hire him as permanent coach?

ShotgunDawg
06-04-2018, 04:18 PM
All Henderson has done is proved that he can manage a game & get the team to play hard.

He has not shown he can recruit or build the culture we need.

No matter what happens the rest of the way, I would not hire Henderson

BuckyIsAB****
06-04-2018, 04:18 PM
Lot of short sighted eyes in the stars to forget how frustrating this year has been under him...We can do better. Beating Vandy twice won't surprise me much actually.
He goes and beats Florida or any other SEC team in the CWS finals then we can talk.

Im with you but you cant deny he has the team playing. It could be a lot more to do with the kids than him but theres no denying we probably arent here without him holding the fort down

Randolph Dupree
06-04-2018, 04:20 PM
Not sure there's a circumstance outside getting to the CWS finals that would make me even entertain the idea. Also, and I've said this before, not sure Henderson wants to be a HC at this level anymore. My guess is that if we made a deep CWS run he still retires.

BuckyIsAB****
06-04-2018, 04:20 PM
All Henderson has done is proved that he can manage a game & get the team to play hard.

Not gonna argue with the recruiting front bc theres not a way to know but its quite obvious we have a great culture and chemistry on this team. That has been our biggest asset so far.

If you think we have a bad culture then you dont know what a real bad culture is. (See Stansbury, Sherrill at the end, Croom in 08, Polk II)

MarketingBully
06-04-2018, 04:23 PM

Oh yeah, I understand how frustrating this season has been but imo if we don?t hire someone like McDonnell, Corbin, or even Butch Thompson or Godwin I?d rather hire Henderson and pair him with an elite pitching coach especially if he makes it to the CWS and makes a run there. I don?t really want the Purdue coach.

Leroy Jenkins
06-04-2018, 04:29 PM
I don't care if he stumbles all the way to a natty in spite of himself..... I would tip my hat and say thanks, Gary; now move over. This program rates a big-time coach.

OneArmSteve
06-04-2018, 04:30 PM

These guys have a point ya know....

Bulldog1
06-04-2018, 04:33 PM
I'd tell him thanks for what he's done and hire Butch before I keep Gary. Gary is not the long-term guy to lead this baseball program, and he wouldn't be able to recruit as good as Butch. Thank him and move on.

Cooterpoot
06-04-2018, 04:33 PM
I'll pass on Gary. He's retirement age. Time to bring in a younger guy. Gary is enjoying the ride right now. Let him have that and then let him ride off into the sunset knowing he did a good job.

msstate7
06-04-2018, 04:36 PM
Wouldn't surprise me. Cohen missed on his guy. I could see Henderson kept on to groom Gautreau to take over in a year or 2. Let Gautreau handle recruiting and hitting. Coach in waiting deal.

yjnkdawg
06-04-2018, 04:37 PM
Not sure there's a circumstance outside getting to the CWS finals that would make me even entertain the idea. Also, and I've said this before, not sure Henderson wants to be a HC at this level anymore. My guess is that if we made a deep CWS run he still retires.

I don't know, either, whether he even wants to be a HC again this late stage in his coaching career. He was initially hired to be our pitching coach, and he was happy with that position. I'm not sure he wants to continue the stress with being a head coach. My guess is he will retire. Be nice to retire and be the first MSU coach to win a CWS Championship.

yjnkdawg
06-04-2018, 04:39 PM
Wouldn't surprise me. Cohen missed on his guy. I could see Henderson kept on to groom Gautreau to take over in a year or 2. Let Gautreau handle recruiting and hitting. Coach is waiting deal.

Sorry to break the news to you, but unless you are John Cohen (which definitely you aren't), then you have no clue whether Cohen missed on his guy, and neither do I know.

06-04-2018, 04:40 PM
I don't care if he stumbles all the way to a natty in spite of himself..... I would tip my hat and say thanks, Gary; now move over. This program rates a big-time coach.

If we win a natty....I mean....that's the top of the mountain....and he got us there

Todd4State
06-04-2018, 04:40 PM
Wouldn't surprise me. Cohen missed on his guy. I could see Henderson kept on to groom Gautreau to take over in a year or 2. Let Gautreau handle recruiting and hitting. Coach is waiting deal.

If we're going to do that just go ahead and hire Gautreau.

deadheaddawg
06-04-2018, 04:42 PM
His resume isn't great. He has done a fine job this year, but I don't want to make a crucial hire based off a 3 month hot streak.

Nothing before April 1st suggest he should be our head coach. And there is a good bit of data to look at

msstate7
06-04-2018, 04:42 PM
If we're going to do that just go ahead and hire Gautreau.

Wouldn't mind it. Cann may have spooked Cohen a bit though.

Leroy Jenkins
06-04-2018, 05:18 PM
If we win a natty....I mean....that's the top of the mountain....and he got us there

You think we are where we are because of Henderson, OR, in spite of Henderson...?

06-04-2018, 05:22 PM
We all thought Ron Polk was back after 2007 too

the_real_MSU_is_us
06-04-2018, 05:50 PM
Man, if only Henderson had multiple seasons as an SEC HC so we could see how well he can recruit and build a program... oh wait, his teams sucked even after it was 100% his recruits.

If Henderson won it all, all it would prove is that Cohen and Cann built a great team, and Henderson didn't mess it up. Long term, he has 100% proven he can't build an elite team.

Gautreau is a good hitting coach, and that's the expect of his qualifications. May as well hire the hitting coach of any hot hitting team if you want him

ScoobaDawg
06-04-2018, 06:00 PM
Oh yeah, I understand how frustrating this season has been but imo if we don?t hire someone like McDonnell, Corbin, or even Butch Thompson or Godwin I?d rather hire Henderson and pair him with an elite pitching coach especially if he makes it to the CWS and makes a run there. I don?t really want the Purdue coach.

Purdue coach has only gone to CWS once. Not the standard John said.. so ignore Gene

06-04-2018, 06:06 PM
Man, if only Henderson had multiple seasons as an SEC HC so we could see how well he can recruit and build a program... oh wait, his teams sucked even after it was 100% his recruits.

If Henderson won it all, all it would prove is that Cohen and Cann built a great team, and Henderson didn't mess it up. Long term, he has 100% proven he can't build an elite team.

Gautreau is a good hitting coach, and that's the expect of his qualifications. May as well hire the hitting coach of any hot hitting team if you want him

Devil's Advocate - but he did build Kentucky back up to a bubble regional host team in 2012 (many thought they got screwed since they gave the regional to Purdue in Gary, IN), then kinda kept them sort of 'average' after that

Cohen was always very up and down

Todd4State
06-04-2018, 06:11 PM
We all thought Ron Polk was back after 2007 too

Not all of us.

Todd4State
06-04-2018, 06:14 PM
Devil's Advocate - but he did build Kentucky back up to a bubble regional host team in 2012 (many thought they got screwed since they gave the regional to Purdue in Gary, IN), then kinda kept them sort of 'average' after that

Cohen was always very up and down

Cohen won pretty consistently after his first two rebuilding years.

2011- SR
2012- SEC Tournament champs
2013- Omaha finalists
2014- 2 seed in a regional
2015- WTF?
2016- SEC Champs and SR and National Seed.

That's about 1980's MSU caliber.

msstate7
06-04-2018, 06:16 PM

Gautreau has been an interim head coach before at Tulane.

Given the choice, I want someone other than Henderson. I just stated it wouldn't surprise me if Cohen takes off the interim bc I really think Cohen got surprised by schloss saying no

msbulldog
06-04-2018, 06:36 PM
Look guy's it's obvious the inspiration this team has found is coming from within, maybe Jake, Hunter or whoever or maybe several guys. It's pretty obvious Gary H. is not thrilled with this job, if you watch him in the dugout or the in interviews. I think we all should appreciate what Coach Henderson has done for us. I really cannot believe that he wants this job, let's all trust the IB, he's been in baseball all of his life and he'll get us there!

Pit Bull
06-04-2018, 06:39 PM

Me personally I would still hire McDonnel, Tadlock, Lee over him. But if its any others I'd keep Henderson. Its obvious the kids like him, or at least dont hate him. If it aint broke dont fix it.

I would give him a short contract....maybe 2 years, to see if he can keep us playing at this level and improve recruiting too. Maybe keep Gautreau as his top assistant and groom him to take over when Hendy is ready to give it up. Basically a short leash contract and just roll it over every year if we're doing good.

msbulldog
06-04-2018, 06:44 PM
Hmmm! I have a question, who screenshot Canns cell phone and turned it into Cohen? Was it a player or a coach looking to get a leg up? Helluva conspiracy question!

Pit Bull
06-04-2018, 06:45 PM
Look guy's it's obvious the inspiration this team has found is coming from within, maybe Jake, Hunter or whoever or maybe several guys. It's pretty obvious Gary H. is not thrilled with this job, if you watch him in the dugout or the in interviews. I think we all should appreciate what Coach Henderson has done for us. I really cannot believe that he wants this job, let's all trust the IB, he's been in baseball all of his life and he'll get us there!

John will do what he wants and I'm fine with it, but I have seen a lot of fire in Hendy on several occasions....vs the umps, in our own pitcher's faces challenging them, and good emotion with our assistant coaches....hugging, high fiving, etc. Not sure what you are wanting to see out of a head coach.....baseball requires a lot of thinking, strategy, and timeliness. It's not a Rah, rah sport all the time like other sports. For the most part, good coaches need to show calmness, confidence, and knowing when to push the right player's buttons at the right time.

ChillOutDog
06-04-2018, 06:54 PM

The Eagles ain?t trading Carson Wentz

Turfdawg67
06-04-2018, 07:14 PM

Well... he's 3-0 vs UF right now.

Turfdawg67
06-04-2018, 07:24 PM
His resume isn't great. He has done a fine job this year, but I don't want to make a crucial hire based off a 3 month hot streak.

Nothing before April 1st suggest he should be our head coach. And there is a good bit of data to look at

Our 2013 runner up team was 1 game better at this point and they got hot at the end of the year as well... but yet Cohen (he w/ a losing SEC record, not even counting his 1st 2 yrs) gets all the credit and is revered. If we go to the CWS and play well, Henderson deserves to be our coach if he wants it.

Todd4State
06-04-2018, 07:42 PM
Our 2013 runner up team was 1 game better at this point and they got hot at the end of the year as well... but yet Cohen (he w/ a losing SEC record, not even counting his 1st 2 yrs) gets all the credit and is revered. If we go to the CWS and play well, Henderson deserves to be our coach if he wants it.

We have to do what is BEST for our program and not what we feel like is the nice/right thing to do.

And FWIW Cohen recruited a lot of our players- not Henderson.

Baseball is all about recruiting more than anything. You get the best players- you win. That's essentially how Cohen turned us around- Stratton, Frazier, Graveman, Renfroe, Hudson, and etc.

smootness
06-04-2018, 08:00 PM
Wouldn't surprise me. Cohen missed on his guy. I could see Henderson kept on to groom Gautreau to take over in a year or 2. Let Gautreau handle recruiting and hitting. Coach in waiting deal.

Heeeeeeeeck no. Neither is good enough right now.

Katdoc12
06-04-2018, 08:01 PM

This.
Aside from the fact general consensus is he is not even interested in another HC position. Thanks for filling the role to get through the season, but I wouldnt say he's the reason we are where we are either.

BuckyIsAB****
06-04-2018, 08:28 PM

Im not sure Cohen missed and I am not in favor of that plan at all

msstate7
06-04-2018, 08:29 PM
Im not sure Cohen missed and I am not in favor of that plan at all

So who you calling? Corbin? McDonnell?

BuckyIsAB****
06-04-2018, 08:30 PM
The Eagles ain?t trading Carson Wentz

do what?

msstate7
06-04-2018, 08:32 PM
do what?

When foles won super bowl, the eagles still plan on wentz being qb. In other words, even if Henderson takes us to CWS, we still go with our plan for HC.

BuckyIsAB****
06-04-2018, 08:33 PM
So who you calling? Corbin? McDonnell?

McDonnell, Corbin, Monte Lee. If they all say no then Mike Fox, Josh Holliday

BuckyIsAB****
06-04-2018, 08:33 PM
When foles won super bowl, the eagles still plan on wentz being qb. In other words, even if Henderson takes us to CWS, we still go with our plan for HC.

now I get it you the man